Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Maternity Leave" -- 03.01.2006

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
That's one thing I don't get with the show, surely as soon as anything happens and they get back to camp, they would want to tell everyone or at least the main players.
I prefer to believe that those conversations happen off screen. And I'm thrilled with that approach. The last thing I want to see every episode is the primary characters from the previous episode telling the other characters about things we already saw the week before. Seems like it would get a bit boring.

Jack: So, you found another hatch?
Kate: Yep.
Jack: Where is it?
Kate: Over that way somewhere.
Jack: Cool. Anything useful there?
Kate: Not really. It's pretty trashed.
Jack: Well... Thanks for filling me in. Why don't you go tell Sun about it.
Old 03-02-06, 08:27 PM

some interesting official info on Gale:
http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/diary/104157.html
Old 03-02-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by maxfisher
Anyway, my current theory is that the Others, who are mostly Dharma scientists, have found a way to produce some kind of serum that gives them special 'powers', i.e. increased strength and intelligence and maybe even ESP. The serum is produced by children's bodies/brains after subjecting them to some kind of drug treatment and then removed by the Others. Some children (i.e. Walt) produce purer or more powerful versions than others, due to genetics or whatever. The 'antidote' that the Others have to take is something that neutralizes some negative effect of the serum. I don't think there's been anything that would be at odds with that explanation.
I'll bite, but how would that explain the nano-monster? Polar bear? And where is that polar bear anyway, wasn't it mentioned they only killed a baby one? Where's mama & papa bear?

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
I actually recognized the voice before they even showed the guy. The girl I was watching it with was skeptical but then when they showed the beard and glue that proved me right.
I did the same thing to my wife. Said hey it's Mr. F. Of course she was like, WTF?
Old 03-02-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
it was your "impression" that she was drugged? She was OBVIOUSLY drugged. Just because we didn't see them drug her doesn't mean she wasn't. It was painfully obvious based on the way she was acting.
No kidding!

Hellloooooo!!!
Old 03-02-06, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'll bite, but how would that explain the nano-monster? Polar bear? And where is that polar bear anyway, wasn't it mentioned they only killed a baby one? Where's mama & papa bear?
In my hare-brained theory, the island would've originally been set up to run the 6, or at least multiple and diverse, types of research. The nano-monster would be a remnant of the experiments in nano-technology. The polar bear (and the shark with the Dharma logo) would be left over from experiments in zoology. The only division still active (and probably unofficially at that) would be the group focusing on evolution/mutation of the human gene.

I'd also stretch my theory to cover the numbers' significance by saying originally they were just numbers that appeared on the vaccine/medicine necessary to counteract the serum's effects. At some point, the Dharma people left on the island made them the password to reset the countdown. Assuming the Dharma people on the island had attained some sort of ESP-like abilities, the importance they placed on the numbers began to subconsciously mainfest itself in subtle ways in other areas of the world. Granted, there's no real evidence to back up my theory, but I've just been trying to come up with something that would explain everything we've seen that would abide by the rules set up within the show.
Old 03-03-06, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by entitee
some interesting official info on Gale:
http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/diary/104157.html

Definitely spoiler material, if you believe the info from the link.
Old 03-03-06, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like your theory, Max. Makes sense to me. ESP seems pretty likley since the black cloud appeared to probe Eko's mind a few episodes back.

I imagine that the unusual properties of the island caused the Dharma experiments run amok on the island. The Other's are the remaining scientists trying to maintain some sense of control.
Old 03-03-06, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mattrk
Did anyone else catch that Sawyer's new glasses frames are all black now?

His old ones were half black and half white, cobbled together from two other pairs. And the black/white motif is supposed to mean something...

Also - what book was he reading?
He lost his original glasses on the raft.. He took them with him and when the raft blew up.. Well there went his glasses. He even said "Look freckles. I found some new glasses that are damn near my prescription too" (paraphrasing).

Man, I am SOOO glad that Mr. Friendly was a costume. I kept telling my wife how disappointed I was about how fake he looked with that beard and makeup. I kept saying "why would they make him look so fake!?" I was pumped to see he indeed was in costume!!
Old 03-03-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by tbird2340
Man, I am SOOO glad that Mr. Friendly was a costume. I kept telling my wife how disappointed I was about how fake he looked with that beard and makeup. I kept saying "why would they make him look so fake!?" I was pumped to see he indeed was in costume!!

Too bad they use the same costumes for all the flashback stories.
Old 03-03-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You mean the bad costumes? Like the bad wigs?

True, but those are in the past..
Old 03-03-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I did the same thing to my wife. Said hey it's Mr. F. Of course she was like, WTF?
[AD] Mr. F [/AD]

Old 03-03-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Palaver
I like your theory, Max. Makes sense to me. ESP seems pretty likley since the black cloud appeared to probe Eko's mind a few episodes back.

I imagine that the unusual properties of the island caused the Dharma experiments run amok on the island. The Other's are the remaining scientists trying to maintain some sense of control.
Lindelof has publically commented that the black cloud is not nano-technology or robotic and he also said that the cloud we have seen was 'just the toe' of the monster.
Old 03-03-06, 11:57 AM

OK, here's my wild theory:

*IF* we assume that Claire's flashbacks were actually how things happened (and not a mixture of how things happened and her "assumptions" or combining the events) thenI have to assume that the Dharma people intentionally crashed the plane on the island.

How else would they have the Oceanic toy planes on the mobile?

My theory is that the Dharma people want to try to make a new Utopian society. First they forced (don't ask me how) Danielle's crew to come to the island. Then flight 815, then Henry Gale (if he's in fact not one of them).

This is all a big expiriment to the Dharma folks. They needed more "subjects" so they forced the flight down (perhaps with a huge magnet or something).

Maybe they are testing out disease cures and wanted Aaron for that? Maybe they didn't expect that many people to survive the crash so they had to scare them as the 'others' to stay away.

These are just my rambling thoughts. I swear they sound better in my head

Last edited by RickerOne; 03-03-06 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-03-06, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kerborus
Lindelof has publically commented that the black cloud is not nano-technology or robotic and he also said that the cloud we have seen was 'just the toe' of the monster.
Interesting. I hadn't heard that. Is there a link to this?
Old 03-03-06, 01:03 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
One of the most interesting tidbits in the preview was when...

Spoiler:
Locke said "there's a man sitting in MY hatch, and I want him out." Pretty telling about his state of mind.
Old 03-03-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I predict that the upcoming episode "Lockdown" is going to center around Locke's growing antipathy toward Jack and hopefully the flashbacks will finally tell us how he ended up in that wheelchair in the first plae.
Old 03-03-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Palaver
Interesting. I hadn't heard that. Is there a link to this?
I haven't either.
Old 03-03-06, 03:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by bralph
[AD] Mr. F [/AD]
I do that every time he appears. Drives my wife nuts.
Old 03-03-06, 04:06 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
In last week's EW they said that the numbers...

Spoiler:
match the numbers on the jerseys of retired Yankees.

Here's their names and jersey numbers:

#4 Lou Gehrig
#8 Yogi Berra
#15 Thurman Munson
#16 Whitey Ford
#23 Don Mattingly
#42 Jackie Robinson

... what that has to do with anything, I've got no idea.
Old 03-03-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
In last week's EW they said that the numbers...

Spoiler:
match the numbers on the jerseys of retired Yankees.

Here's their names and jersey numbers:

#4 Lou Gehrig
#8 Yogi Berra
#15 Thurman Munson
#16 Whitey Ford
#23 Don Mattingly
#42 Jackie Robinson

... what that has to do with anything, I've got no idea.
That article was entirely speculated on their part. No one associated with the show (writers, producers, etc.) has confirmed that. Half of that article was sarcastic and outright ridiculous. Though I wonder how much time someone spent researching to come up with that theory... OMG get a life!
Old 03-03-06, 04:46 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
That article was entirely speculated on their part. No one associated with the show (writers, producers, etc.) has confirmed that. Half of that article was sarcastic and outright ridiculous. Though I wonder how much time someone spent researching to come up with that theory... OMG get a life!
Sorry, I should have clarified that the EW writers think that the number are associated with that.

Though riddled with sarcasm, the article was kind of believable (to some of us simple minded folks).
Old 03-03-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by MadameTourvel
Yes, I predict that the upcoming episode "Lockdown" is going to center around Locke's growing antipathy toward Jack and hopefully the flashbacks will finally tell us how he ended up in that wheelchair in the first plae.
Lockdown is Hurley centered.
Old 03-03-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Sorry, I should have clarified that the EW writers think that the number are associated with that.

Though riddled with sarcasm, the article was kind of believable (to some of us simple minded folks).
The bigger problem with the Yankee numbers is the players MISSING.
Old 03-03-06, 06:39 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here are some screenshots of the next new episode (these are different from those shown in the preview after the last episode)...obviously spoilerish in nature, though nothing at all startling. http://www.lost-media.com/modules.ph...ails&album=998

The main thing that I thought I noticed is the episode title - I thought it used to be
Spoiler:
"House of the Rising Sun," or something like that, but now it is "The Whole Truth."
Old 03-04-06, 10:21 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
aktick, the first title you reference was a seaon one title, i believe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.