Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

FINALLY! Lost -- "the 23rd Psalm" -- 01.11.2006

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just had another thought... Assuming that the black smoke cloud seen by Eko is the same thing that Locke saw in Season 1, I wonder what Locke saw in it that was suppoesdly so wonderful. I remember reading or hearing him say that he (Terry O'Quinn) didn't know what Locke was supposed to be looking at, but that the direction he was given was to act as if he was looking at the most wonderful/beautiful (forget which word he used) thing he'd ever seen.
Old 01-12-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
don't know if anyone touched on this, but i was thinking about it.

why did Eko react to Claire the way he did when she told him about the statue? I could understand reacting strangely if he SAW the statue (cause he'd recognize it). But lots of people have virgin mary statues, it's not like the ones used in the drug-running are the only ones out in the world. Was Eko EXPECTING to find the plane on this island?
Yeah I thought that was a bit weird. He seemed to know right away that they were the statues he had put on the plane. Unless he knew Charlie was using drugs before, but I don't think he did.
Old 01-12-06, 01:13 PM

where can we fint the canadian preview at? i was also windering how could a small plame like that could make it trough and over the ocean
Old 01-12-06, 01:15 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by superman69
i was also windering how could a small plame like that could make it trough and over the ocean
See post #119. This has got to be where the writers are heading with this.
Old 01-12-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
We don't know everything about Jack yet. His wife's fate? His tatoos?
I know. But the person I quoted stated that everyone left on the island had commited some kind of sin, that's why i brought up Jack. We are going to just assume that he did something evil just because so many other people on the island have and because we don't know that he didn't? That's like the reverse of the justice system.
Old 01-12-06, 02:27 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maxflier
I know. But the person I quoted stated that everyone left on the island had commited some kind of sin, that's why i brought up Jack. We are going to just assume that he did something evil just because so many other people on the island have and because we don't know that he didn't? That's like the reverse of the justice system.
But it is a logical assumption. Which is the best you can do when speculating on the future plotlines.
Old 01-12-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by Achtung
Yeah I thought that was a bit weird. He seemed to know right away that they were the statues he had put on the plane. Unless he knew Charlie was using drugs before, but I don't think he did.
The way I took it is that he was from that small town. They(someone in town) probably made them, themselves, making the look of them unique to their town. Why would a small town import 300 Mary statues to raise money? I think they made them locally, that is why they looked familiar.
Old 01-12-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Michael and walt did nothing evil

I think Echo has long suspected that he was taken to the island for a real reason (we still dont know why he was on the plane...he could have had visions of his brother telling him just to get on the plane) and once he heard about a Virgin Mary statue...he instantly knew
Old 01-12-06, 02:58 PM
Retired

Given the role those statues played in his life, it would be logical for him to assume they were probably the same ones. Just too big of a coincidence for him to not be curious and not want to check.

And remember he wanted Charlie to show him where he found them, so he clearly needed to confirm his suspicion. So it's not like he was 100% that they were the same statues, but just had strong reason to believe they were.
Old 01-12-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The way I took it is that he was from that small town. They(someone in town) probably made them, themselves, making the look of them unique to their town. Why would a small town import 300 Mary statues to raise money? I think they made them locally, that is why they looked familiar.
True, but didn't he first become suspicious before even seeing the statue? IIRC, Claire just mentioned that Charlie "was religious because he had a statue of the Virgin Mary". It would have been a pretty big assumption for Eko to think that they were the same ones from his village before even seeing them... unless he knew the plane was headed into that area of the South Pacific and he knew the plane had gone down. Maybe that's why he was on the flight, following the path of the plane, though as someone mentioned, it would be unlikely that a small plane like that would try to fly so far.
Old 01-12-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Given the role those statues played in his life, it would be logical for him to assume they were probably the same ones. Just too big of a coincidence for him to not be curious and not want to check.
That's possible. Maybe he just had a hunch and followed it. I can buy that.

And remember he wanted Charlie to show him where he found them, so he clearly needed to confirm his suspicion. So it's not like he was 100% that they were the same statues, but just had strong reason to believe they were.
Well, I think once he broke open the statue Claire gave him and found the heroin inside, he knew it was part of the batch from his village. That's why when Charlie misled him at first, he got mad and told Charlie to take him to the plane.
Old 01-12-06, 03:02 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Achtung
IIRC, Claire just mentioned that Charlie "was religious because he had a statue of the Virgin Mary"..
Again, given the signficance of those statues in his life, hearing about them on the island would have to seem too odd to just be a coincidence and instantly be something he wants to investigate.
Old 01-12-06, 03:28 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
We don't know everything about Jack yet. His wife's fate? His tatoos?
the tattoos are the actors, not related to the show,

the 5 is supposed to be from Party of Five?
Old 01-12-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Kate mentioned the tattoos, so it's pretty likely they will come into play.
Old 01-12-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thos19
The Others must be hibernating. You'd think a plane on fire might have caught their attention.

Thos.
Ah but don't forget Rosseau said the monster/black smoke was a "security system" that "keeps them away" (that may not be a direct quote but it was something like that). Since the plane wasn't far from where Ecko encountered it, I'm sure that would've scared them off.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 01-12-06 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-12-06, 04:11 PM

originally posted by Achtung:
unless he knew the plane was headed into that area of the South Pacific and he knew the plane had gone down. Maybe that's why he was on the flight, following the path of the plane

the only problem with that is one flight took off from Nigeria, while the other was Australia

anyone else find it kinda amusing that Eko was this big feared gangster, who wound up being bossed around by a woman (and a cop at that)
Old 01-12-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

just found this on the fuselage, HD screen caps of the "smoke" and a few other things.
http://lost.cubit.net/pics/2x10/
Old 01-12-06, 04:23 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
yeah, i can buy that, too. just a guy following up on a hunch. i guess i'd want to look at anyone's virgin mary statue, too, if i was in his same situation... but there just seemed to be something more to his reaction to claire.
Old 01-12-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what if the drugs were heading for Charlie and his brother? The plane (obviously) never made it, so Eko likely was getting on a plane to find out what happened to his stuff.

I may be grasping at straws, but the bag of heroin that Charlie had in the plane looked a lot like the bags that were inside the statues. Perhaps Eko was Charlie's supplier.
Old 01-12-06, 04:32 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by achau9598
I may be grasping at straws, but the bag of heroin that Charlie had in the plane looked a lot like the bags that were inside the statues. Perhaps Eko was Charlie's supplier.
It seemed like that batch of Heroin was the first drugs Eko ever tried to move. Unless he was just lying to his brother.

Plus from the conversation with the dealers, it sounded like there wasn't heroin in Nigeria (nor a demand for it there) so it seems impossible that he could have been a supplier.

Now he could possibly have been sending it to the people who Charlie got his drugs from, but still wouldn't explain the bag looking similar since that plane load would have been the only one they ever shipped out.
Old 01-12-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seemed like that batch of Heroin was the first drugs Eko ever tried to move. Unless he was just lying to his brother.

Plus from the conversation with the dealers, it sounded like there wasn't heroin in Nigeria (nor a demand for it there) so it seems impossible that he could have been a supplier.

Now he could possibly have been sending it to the people who Charlie got his drugs from, but still wouldn't explain the bag looking similar since that plane load would have been the only one they ever shipped out.
was the bag really that distinctive? It just looked like dark green saranwrap to me.
Old 01-12-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From Entertainment Weekly:
Smoke Gets in Your Isle

Read our ''Lost'' conspiracy theory of the month, courtesy of EW's Jeff Jensen. Don't agree with him? Then post your own best guess to the mysteries of ''Lost''

UNSOLVED MYSTERIES Are you more Lost than ever? Share your thoughts

Every month EW will turn to our shadowy operative inside the world of Lost for insight. Burn this when you're done. The truth is out there.

We have looked into the face of The Monster and have seen The Abyss — cinematically speaking. Lost's Jan. 11 episode finally gave us a body shot of the show's man-chomping, peek-a-boo boogey-beast. Meet Smokey: a billowing coil of seemingly sentient black haze, a shadowy cousin to the morphing, mind-reading ETs of James Cameron's sci-fi opus. The Abyss allusion could be instructive, though I doubt it's pointing us toward an extraterrestrial explanation of the island.

Think thematically. In the movie, the aliens were so alarmed by mankind's potential for self-destruction, they resorted to drastic measures — the threat of annihilation by tidal wave — to save us. On Lost, we've learned that the island has been/is host to gonzo experiments funded by Alvar Hanso, a munitions mogul/philanthropist dedicated to ''a brighter future for all humanity.'' (See ''Hanso's'' website here.) My theory? Twilight Zone Isle is being used by Hanso's Dharma Initiative as a sort of human recycling plant, designed to to either rehabilitate damaged, fallen people — or junk them.

Smokey is a sophisticated piece of machinery in this soul-crunching refinery. Its function: quality control. Kinda like another cult-pop alien, the Marvel Comics scourge Galactus. Apparently, the planet-chomping leviathan (also telepathic) serves an elusive celestial purpose. He might be the embodiment of random catastrophe — an essential Lost theme. Yet he might also exist to test the mettle of living beings. Fend him off; you deserve to live. If you can't, you don't. Chomp!

But back to Lost: During Smokey's stare-down with Mr. Eko, the monster appeared to scan the former Nigerian warlord's personal history, then retreated instead of eviscerating him. Why? Because the Born Again Eko was deemed worthy. (For now, at least.) But I could be wrong. After all, we're talking about a creature made of smog and reflective properties — in other words, smoke and mirrors.
Old 01-12-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was looking at the rubberband that was around the heroin bags, and they look like the same rubberbands that Locke had around the plastic he used to wrap his sandwich. Could it be possible that Locke's box company manufacturered the rubberbands that Ecko used on the heroin bags that Charlie bought?
Old 01-12-06, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shoveler
Yes, that's one of the bigger backstories that we have yet to see. It's probably going to reveal a lot, and will probably include some link to another backstory (given the way things have been going).
Attention: Major probable spoiler alert ahead for next week's episode. Do not reveal unless you want to. You have been warned.

Spoiler:
Next week's title is: The Hunting Party, which is a reference to the 1971 western movie about a man who kills out of revenge for his wife's abduction. This is a Jack-centric episode which would imply that Jack's wife is abducted (and possibly killed) and then he takes revenge on her abducter. This murder would be Jack's sin. The hunting party in the title also refers to Michael going out after Walt and everyone going after Michael.
Old 01-12-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by cracksky
Attention: Major probable spoiler alert ahead for next week's episode. Do not reveal unless you want to. You have been warned.

Spoiler:
Next week's title is: The Hunting Party, which is a reference to the 1971 western movie about a man who kills out of revenge for his wife's abduction. This is a Jack-centric episode which would imply that Jack's wife is abducted (and possibly killed) and then he takes revenge on her abducter. This murder would be Jack's sin. The hunting party in the title also refers to Michael going out after Walt and everyone going after Michael.
You may be overanalyzing here my friend.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.