Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

R.I.P. John Spencer (1946-2005)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-05, 10:10 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wm lopez
I remember when he joined L.A. LAW, that's when the show went downhill.
Are you saying that as a coincidence or are you saying it to be an ass?
Old 12-18-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
I remember when he joined L.A. LAW, that's when the show went downhill.

It didn't start going downhill until the year after he joined the show - when Harry Hamlin and Jimmy Smits were gone.
Old 12-18-05, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a L.A. LAW fan and watched every episode.
And that show was the 1st time I had seen that actor and always remembered that when he joined the cast the show "jumped the shark". But a lot of that goes with the writing of those episodes. But John Spencer always left a bad taste in my mouth because of that.
And because of that I never wanted to watch THE WEST WING.
Old 12-18-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched LA Law back then, too. He seemed to be the only good thing about it at that point.

May he rest in peace.
Old 12-19-05, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sad news indeed.
Old 12-19-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/va/20051218/113497418500.html

Scribes face challenge in 'West Wing' star's death
Sunday December 18 10:36 PM ET

The death on Friday of actor John Spencer, a cornerstone of the ensemble on "The West Wing" since its 1999 debut, is sure to send the show's writing team back to the drawing board for the second half of what could be the show's final season.

Spencer's character, former Bartlet administration chief of staff turned vice presidential candidate Leo McGarry, has played a key role in the election-year story line of the Emmy-winning White House drama this season as McGarry became the running mate of fiery liberal Democratic congressman Matt Santos, played by Jimmy Smits, vying to succeed Martin Sheen's President Josiah Bartlet in the fictional Oval Office.

Another complication for "West Wing" writers in dealing with the real-life drama of Spencer's death from a heart attack at age 58 is the fact that his character was seen in a flash-forward sequence set three years in the future in the sixth season "West Wing" opener that aired in September. (In an eerie life-meets-art parallel, Spencer's character suffered a heart attack last season but recovered quickly enough to take on a bruising presidential campaign.)
ADVERTISEMENT
"West Wing" was on a scheduled production hiatus for the holidays at the time of Spencer's death -- the actor died less than a day after he checked into a Los Angeles hospital with a bad cold, according to his publicist. Writers and producers for the series are expected to gather this week to decide how to handle the remainder of the season, a studio spokeswoman said.

Spencer appeared in seven of the 14 episodes of "West Wing" has completed for its sixth season as of last week, according to "West Wing" producer Warner Bros. Television. Nine of those 14 episodes have already aired; "West Wing" isn't scheduled to air a new episode until January.

At its peak, "The West Wing" ranked among primetime's most-watched series, but the much-praised drama has struggled ratings-wise during the past few seasons. This fall, the show relocated from its longtime home on Wednesday to the Sunday 8 p.m. slot, where it has ranked 50th among network primetime series with an average of 8.2 million viewers and a 2.3 rating/5 share in the adults 18-49 demographic. As such, "West Wing" was already seen as a long shot to be renewed for a seventh year next fall.

The challenge now facing the "West Wing's" creative team recalls the situation producers of "The Sopranos" dealt with in 2000 following the death of Nancy Marchand, who played the pivotal, villainous mob matriarch Livia Soprano. To wrap up her story line, "Sopranos" producers used old pieces of dialogue and CGI techniques to briefly insert Marchand's face on a body double.

In late December 2004, "Law & Order" veteran Jerry Orbach died shortly before the premiere of the NBC spin-off "Law & Order: Trial by Jury." Producers and the network decided to air the episodes in which Orbach was featured, though the show ultimately proved short-lived.

Actor John Ritter died in September 2003 on the eve of the sophomore-season debut of his promising ABC comedy "8 Simple Rules." Producers decided to reflect real life by writing the lead character's shocking death into the story line. "8 Simple Rules" continued for two more seasons but never regained the ratings momentum it lost along with its star.
Old 12-19-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Totally fucked up. Ill always know him from my favorite movie Ravenous.

Not to mention Lomack in The Rock. He was awesome

Old 12-21-05, 11:29 AM

That article is inaccurate. Spencer is not in the flash-forward sequence in the season premiere, so that helps the writers' situation somewhat.
Old 12-21-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's not the sixth season they are on now either, but the seventh.
Old 01-05-06, 10:42 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Found this over on AVS..

“West Wing” Press Tour Surprise

By Alan Sepinwall Newark Star-Ledger

The January TV critics' press tour kicks off early next week, and the latest version of the schedule contained quite the surprise at the end: the very last session of the tour will be for "The West Wing," and here's the list of panelists. Note which two I bolded.

"THE WEST WING"
Kristin Chenoweth, Star
Allison Janney, Star
Josh Malina, Star
Janel Moloney, Star
Richard Schiff, Star
Martin Sheen, Star
Brad Whitford, Star
Alex Graves, Executive Producer
Chris Misiano, Executive Producer
Lawrence O'Donnell, Executive Producer
Tommy Schlamme, Executive Producer
Aaron Sorkin, Executive Producer
John Wells, Executive Producer
Old 01-05-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

we can only hope that sorkin and schlamme come back for the finale. then i would feel like it was truly complete.
Old 02-17-06, 04:19 PM

Saw this on IMDB today:

'West Wing' Films Spencer's Funeral
The funeral scene for late The West Wing star John Spencer's character has been filmed. Spencer, who suffered a fatal cardiac arrest last December, played Air Force veteran and White House chief of staff Leo McGarry in the hit TV series. The tear-jerking funeral episode, which employs a real Air Force guard of honour, will be aired in the US in April, the New York Post reports.