Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What happened to the Buffy impressions thread?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-05, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember a thread about someone who was not a buffy fan, but was committing to watching all 7 seasons in a row to see what all the hype was about. I started watching from season 1 this spring and enjoyed reading the impressions in that thread. I made it through season 3 and took a break, and started up a month or so ago and am now starting on season 5.

But I can't seem to dig that thread up anywhere and I miss following it with my own viewing experience. What happened to it?
Old 12-13-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just tried searching for you and couldn't find it, but the site also seemed to be having a problem with its search feature. Anyway, the thread was started by Sessa17 on 02-24-05 @ 02:37 PM, and the title was "A vocal Buffy hater is about to embark on watching all 7 Seasons in a row."

I hope it's not lost - that thread was a classic, with over 1300 posts!

It sure looks like it's gone . If it were archived its URL would be: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/archive.../t-411331.html

Did anybody happen to save it?

Last edited by kitkat; 12-13-05 at 06:18 PM. Reason: I did more research
Old 12-13-05, 07:03 PM

Lost?

Oh no, I couldn't dig it up either, but I was hoping I was just missing something. I was enjoying the hell out of that thread... hope someone saved it for me...
Old 12-15-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I rmember the Buffy and Angel thread this guy started. Nice of him to finish it after starting and getting everyone involved.
Old 12-16-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, if the mods could find it, that be great. I just started the adventure on wed night, and would have liked to have contributed (or just read comments about the early years.
Old 12-16-05, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
I rmember the Buffy and Angel thread this guy started. Nice of him to finish it after starting and getting everyone involved.
He did finish the Buffy thread, got through all 7 seasons. His last post on the Angel thread (in Sept) mentions that he was just about to start school again, so maybe he'll have some free time to finish up that series soon.

Angel Thread is here:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=415160

Edit: Also, Google cached at least the first part of the Buffy thread:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...31.html+&hl=en

It goes up through half of Sessa's S2 impressions. A Warning though that the thread's been stripped of its bb encoding, so spoiler windows are no longer shaded, and some people talked ahead of Sessa.

Last edited by Jay G.; 12-16-05 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-16-05, 08:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
it looks to have been deleted.
Old 12-17-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
it looks to have been deleted.
That sucks beyond the telling of it.

Last edited by kitkat; 12-27-05 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-28-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
That sure does suck, I was just about to do the same thing season by season and was inspired by that thread to do so. on the OP if they're the one who did it....
Old 08-30-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: What happened to the Buffy impressions thread?

Crap, just started watching Buffy on Netlfix (watched season one this past week) and things are getting interesting in season two as they just introduced Spike. Was hoping to read through the thread as I went along.
Old 08-30-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I believe it was deleted intentionally by the thread starter. I vaguely remember a feedback thread where people were furious about that fact.
Old 08-30-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if that's why we can't delete our own threads anymore. I was really looking forward to finally jumping in and going through the thread as a companion to my viewing.
Old 08-30-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rabbit77
Crap, just started watching Buffy on Netlfix (watched season one this past week) and things are getting interesting in season two as they just introduced Spike. Was hoping to read through the thread as I went along.
The AVClub has an on-going series of Buffy/Angel reviews from the point-of-view of a mostly first time viewer.

The reviewer had seen a handful of of episodes before starting the reviews, but not the whole series. Also, he had some plot points spoiled to him over the years, although he tries not to make any spoilers of future episodes himself in the reviews. The comments in those review articles are trickier though, since there's no way to hide spoilers, and commentators don't always warn in advance.

The first 3 seasons of Buffy are reviewed solo. Then, Season 4 of Buffy was reviewed with some brief notes on Angel Season 1 at the end of each review. With Seasons 5/2, the reviews for each are concurrent and of the same length.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/tvshow/buffy-angel,45/2/

Also, rabbit77, don't be afraid to start a new thread yourself. You could briefly recap your impressions of season 1 and go forward from there. I'm sure there's other neophytes, as well as long-time Buffy fans, who would like to read about your initial impressions of the episodes.
Old 08-30-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Also, rabbit77, don't be afraid to start a new thread yourself. You could briefly recap your impressions of season 1 and go forward from there. I'm sure there's other neophytes, as well as long-time Buffy fans, who would like to read about your initial impressions of the episodes.
We could have a seperate thread for each season ... that would go well for people who dislike certain seasons but like others..
Old 08-30-10, 02:33 PM

I'm on season 2 as well - just finished "Ted" last night.
Old 08-30-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found The Complete Slayer: An Unofficial and Unauthorized Guide to Every Episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Keith Topping a great companion to re-watching the series.
Old 08-30-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ak47
I remember a thread about someone who was not a buffy fan, but was committing to watching all 7 seasons in a row to see what all the hype was about.

But I can't seem to dig that thread up anywhere and I miss following it with my own viewing experience. What happened to it?
It was me !

That was my thread, I was a Buffy-hater & then marathoned all of Buffy & Angel posting my thoughts along the way. I did finish the Buffy thread right up to the last episode. I think the thread was over 60 pages long & then I started an Angel companion thread. Angel ended up being (& still is) in my top 5 TV shows ever).

I defiinitely was not the one that deleted the threads. They were truly classic threads because there was a lot of great discussion, there was never a single argument nor did they even get derailed and everyone was great about spoilers, I never had a single thing spoiled for me. It really does suck they got lost because I had never seen any episode before and there was a lot of though put into those posts as it was a journey of someone who hated a show, and became a huge huge fan by the end. Plus, I had never marathoned a show before or since (I think I started a Wire thread but fizzled out).
Old 08-30-10, 04:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
It was me !

That was my thread, I was a Buffy-hater & then marathoned all of Buffy & Angel posting my thoughts along the way. I did finish the Buffy thread right up to the last episode. I think the thread was over 60 pages long & then I started an Angel companion thread. Angel ended up being (& still is) in my top 5 TV shows ever).

I defiinitely was not the one that deleted the threads. They were truly classic threads because there was a lot of great discussion, there was never a single argument nor did they even get derailed and everyone was great about spoilers, I never had a single thing spoiled for me. It really does suck they got lost because I had never seen any episode before and there was a lot of though put into those posts as it was a journey of someone who hated a show, and became a huge huge fan by the end. Plus, I had never marathoned a show before or since (I think I started a Wire thread but fizzled out).
It's a shame the threads are gone.

I'm getting more into show marathoning, and am tentatively planning to do Buffy in October. It would have been nice to read your threads afterwards.

[on soapbox]Just another reason why threads should just never be deleted for any reason. Just delete the offending words/links and post a warning for all to learn from.[off soapbox]
Old 08-30-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks to Netflix, I think many people are now marathoning shows that they missed especially before DVR's were everyday household items. Plus the financial commitment to invest in DVD's to an entire series sight unseen is a stumbling block for many.

I think I may start posting my thoughts after each episode but am fearful of spoilers (I'm glad it wasn't spoiled for you, Sessa, in your thread) because I am 100% completely in the dark with this show. I don't even know which seasons are generally perceived as good or bad, which I'd like to keep that way to prevent any influence of the way I look at things even on a subconscious level.

I see that the Angel thread is still around so I'm glad that's still there.
Old 08-30-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The thing about the Buffy thread, is I was given the complete series box set for free, so I had the complete series, of which I had literally never seen an episode before, right in front of me. Some nights I would just watch like 10 straight eps & post thoughts. That was part of why the thread was unique, there was no waiting for another disc to arrive or to buy another season. I remember if I went a day or 2 without posting, I would literally have over a dozen PMs (some by people I had never even seen post before) of people asking me when I would watch another episode.

I have never been able to marathon any TV series since then. I tried several times, to marathon shows I had never seen before & it just was never the same as going through Buffy & Angel.
Old 08-30-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I defiinitely was not the one that deleted the threads... It really does suck they got lost because I had never seen any episode before and there was a lot of though put into those posts as it was a journey of someone who hated a show, and became a huge huge fan by the end..
Just a note that only the Buffy thread got accidentally deleted somehow. The Angel thread still exists, and is here:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=415160

Of course, this Angel thread may have some spoilers in regards to Buffy, at least up through the concurrent season of Buffy.
Old 08-30-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I didn't want to post this until I could confirm it, but back in December of 05, when I discovered the Google cache of the archive version of the thread, I went ahead and saved local copies of the pages I could recover.

Of the 6 archive pages, I was able to recover pages 1,2,3, and 5 from the Google cache. These pages cover seasons 1-4 completely, the first half of season 5, and most of the last half of season 6.

Now, archive versions of threads are without bbcode, so there's no formatting, no hiding of spoilers, and no quote attributions, which makes reading these pages difficult as-is.

However, due to the renewed interest in them, I was thinking of starting a new thread, and pulling out the original Sessa17 reviews from these archived pages, and re-posting them.

It'd take me a while to do it, so I could post the reviews over a period of time, at a pace that newcomers could keep up with the reviews.

Does that sound like a good idea to anyone else?
Old 08-30-10, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I have seen every episode during their initial run, but I would definitely re-read that if you went to the trouble of posting it. That would be remarkably cool of you.
Old 08-31-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed going back & reading that Angel thread. Haven't seen it since I posted the thread. That Sessa is one cool guy
Old 08-31-10, 05:10 PM

I enjoyed going back & reading that Angel thread. Haven't seen it since I posted the thread. That Sessa is one cool guy
Self-fellating is best left to the Otters....

Last night I stopped with "Surprise". Made my own cliffhanger there.

I'm starting "ANGEL" season 2 next month. This time with the original WB trailers and 'previously on' recaps.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.