Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Greatest "Jump the Shark" Moment?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Greatest "Jump the Shark" Moment?

Old 09-28-05, 05:50 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 499
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greatest "Jump the Shark" Moment?

What TV show has the best defined moment when it "Jumped the Shark"? Here are the ones off the top of my head:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: I guess that occurred either when Buffy Summers hit college or when she's dies and then is brought to life again and then limps on for a couple of more seasons until cancellation.

Ally McBeal: Hmmmm, I guess this went down the toilet after the Forth Season. I guess this show is a text book example of a David E Kelly drama going awry if left alone for more than one season.

Friends: I assume this leapt the shark fin around about Season Seven. The characters lost their charm, it got boring and the cast became a bunch of overpaid, egotistical has beens that couldn't keep their mugs off the magazines.

Boston Public: This is pretty famous and must have been discussed many times. This leapt over the shark when Kathy Baker's Hook Lady character was introduced and then the once gritty school drama got turned into a musical by the start of Season Two. And of course with very bad timing, Jeri Ryan & Michael Rapaport joined the cast as well. They both signed up, since they both thought they were joining the excellent series they saw in Season One. Poor Jeri and Mike...

Due South: I guess this one started to go down the pan when the main character started seeing the ghost of his father.

Any more suggestions?

Last edited by Cancer Man; 09-28-05 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-28-05, 05:54 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,919
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cancer Man
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: I guess that occurred either when Buffy Summers hit college or when she's dies and then is brought to life again and then limps on for a couple of more seasons until cancellation.
Buffy was not cancelled. SMG didn't want to do an 8th season, and I think Whedon agreed it was about time to finish the show as well. Angel on the other hand was cancelled (or not renewed for a 6th season, whatever way you want to look at it), and too soon.
Old 09-28-05, 06:05 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,196
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BP was actually better in S4 than S2 or S3.

Law & Order - the arrival of the Rohmbot. Even though it has improved since her termination, it is a shadow of its former great self.
Old 09-28-05, 06:10 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southside Virginia
Posts: 6,457
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to think the actual jumping of the shark is by definition the greatest "jump the shark" moment. They don't call it the "Buffy goes to college".
Old 09-28-05, 06:21 PM
  #5  
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,799
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L.A.Law - When Rosalind Shays fell down the elevator shaft
Old 09-28-05, 06:23 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,328
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On Happy Days when Fonzi jumped a shark on water skiis. Oh wait...
Old 09-28-05, 06:35 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tasha99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: the North
Posts: 5,894
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sherm42
On Happy Days when Fonzi jumped a shark on water skiis. Oh wait...
And on Arrested Development (Motherboy XXX), Henry Winkler once again literally jumped a shark.

Last edited by tasha99; 09-28-05 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-28-05, 06:39 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cancer Man
What TV show has the best defined moment when it "Jumped the Shark"? Here are the ones off the top of my head:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: I guess that occurred either when Buffy Summers hit college or when she's dies and then is brought to life again and then limps on for a couple of more seasons until cancellation.

Ally McBeal: Hmmmm, I guess this went down the toilet after the Forth Season. I guess this show is a text book example of a David E Kelly drama going awry if left alone for more than one season.

Friends: I assume this leapt the shark fin around about Season Seven. The characters lost their charm, it got boring and the cast became a bunch of overpaid, egotistical has beens that couldn't keep their mugs off the magazines.

Boston Public: This is pretty famous and must have been discussed many times. This leapt over the shark when Kathy Baker's Hook Lady character was introduced and then the once gritty school drama got turned into a musical by the start of Season Two. And of course with very bad timing, Jeri Ryan & Michael Rapaport joined the cast as well. They both signed up, since they both thought they were joining the excellent series they saw in Season One. Poor Jeri and Mike...

Due South: I guess this one started to go down the pan when the main character started seeing the ghost of his father.

Any more suggestions?
Those are all pretty ill-defined "moments" you got there.
Old 09-28-05, 06:39 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,065
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel: When Angel becomes a father and is holding the baby. All of a sudden the once fun --vampire kicking ass-- sort of show becomes this vampire with daddy issues Vs some one else with even more daddy issue after angel's kid. That kid and daddy theme went on for the next few seasons even after they sort of did a time cheat and brought the "baby" back as this mostly grown teenager..

sure the show had some good eps here or there over the next few years, I even liked the last few season but for me at least Angel holding a baby in the rain was all shark jump
Old 09-28-05, 06:41 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's one for das:

Old 09-28-05, 06:46 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: BV VA
Posts: 6,071
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sherm42
On Happy Days when Fonzi jumped a shark on water skiis. Oh wait...
dammit you took mine
Old 09-28-05, 07:03 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,993
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Moonlighting - When David & Maddie finally "did it".

Mad About You - When Paul & Jamie had a baby.

Seinfeld - When Kramer revealed his first name.

The X-Files - When they started shooting episodes in LA instead of Vancouver!
Old 09-28-05, 07:06 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 9,022
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lois and Clark---when they got married-was that during season 4?
Old 09-28-05, 07:21 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Dr. Weird gone.



Brady Bunch: Cousin Oliver, obviously.

Cheers: Rebecca replaces Diane.

Family Guy: Crappy Dvd Movie (my prediction)

Sealab 2021: Death of Harry Goz/no Captain Murphy.

Seinfeld: Larry David leaving.

Simpsons: Maude Flanders dying.

Twin Peaks: Laura Paulmer mystery solved.

X-Files: The Movie.
Old 09-28-05, 07:34 PM
  #15  
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,699
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Growing Pains- When Leo DiCraprio signed on. New siblings are usually death for a show.

NYPD Blue- Dennis Franz showing his but. Then Zach Morris as a cop??

Saved By The Bell- The season at the beach. WTF? But it did introduce us to Leah Remini!

Saved By The Bell- The season after the beach. Striptease girl left, and they replaced the girl that Slater saved from drowing (who had an accent) with Tori, the stupid biker chick who was too old to play young on 90210.

X Files- When Duchovny left.

The Apprentice- Season 3. Too many idiots!

I think Entourage slipped a bit this season. The first was great, but I think they changed it to appeal to more people to get ratings. I can understand that, but it's still different.
Old 09-28-05, 07:46 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cancer Man
Friends: I assume this leapt the shark fin around about Season Seven. The characters lost their charm, it got boring and the cast became a bunch of overpaid, egotistical has beens that couldn't keep their mugs off the magazines.
Ah, yes... my favorite Friends "moment".
Old 09-28-05, 07:48 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Columbia, MD, USA
Posts: 11,147
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Dr. Weird gone.

What, no Love for Spacecataz?






Old 09-28-05, 07:50 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Columbia, MD, USA
Posts: 11,147
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CPT
Growing Pains- When Leo DiCraprio signed on. New siblings are usually death for a show.

Except DiCaprio wasn't a sibling. Maybe you're thinking of Chrissy
Old 09-28-05, 07:51 PM
  #19  
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,699
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
Except DiCaprio wasn't a sibling. Maybe you're thinking of Chrissy
Eh, same thing. Runaway, new brother, same thing.
Old 09-28-05, 07:52 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
What, no Love for Spacecataz?
Bah! The Mooninites are being overexposed.
Old 09-28-05, 08:01 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,196
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
L.A.Law - When Rosalind Shays fell down the elevator shaft

The rest of that season was awesome. However, the next season, it fell off the cliff.
Old 09-28-05, 08:05 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CPT
New siblings are usually death for a show.
True, but you have the cause and effect switched around. New siblings, children, youngsters of any sort don't generally cause poor ratings, they are brought into a show AS A RESULT OF low ratings - in order to "give new life" to the show, I suppose. Don't know why they keep doing it, as it never seems to work.
Old 09-28-05, 08:13 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,664
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WKRP in Cincinnati When Andy saved the station from being sold by Mother Carlson.*
Old 09-28-05, 08:14 PM
  #24  
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,699
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I forgot a big one!

The Practice- When Dylan McDermott left, Eugene Young became a judge, and they added James Spader. I just don't like Spader.

Jessica Capshaw was a good add, though.
Old 09-28-05, 08:30 PM
  #25  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,385
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only role I like James Spder in is when he plays a sex crazed pervert.....oh wait....

Roseanne-When they won the lottery (I think it was the last season) then it was all a dream or something, stupid.

Home Improvement, when they started having serious storylines like when the kids were going all goth and the drug stuff, lam-o.

The 3's Company spinoff, 3's a Crowd, where Jack became a cook or something in a Hotel, they should have just let it be after 3's finished.

Alias, when they introduced the long lost sister, BORING, though Mia is


X-Files: The Movie
I liked the movie

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.