Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Why aren't YOU watching "Arrested Development"?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Her?

I went back to watch the first season again the other day, and I noticed that even that joke from season two stemmed from the first season.
Old 09-19-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grunter
Because it's aggressively, disastrously unfunny.
You're aggressively, disastrously unfunny!

Old 09-19-05, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Morf
You're aggressively, disastrously unfunny!

Nice!

There's NO POSSIBLE WAY that I ever miss an episode of Arrested Development. It just can't happen. And Everybody Loves Raymond winning the emmy over AD? Give me a break, I can sum up every episode of Raymond in one sentence.

"Character A gets mad at Character B."

You just keep switching which character gets mad at another...and BAM! Nine seasons.
Old 09-19-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll record it (and wow, no conflicts, as i have this, "how i met your mother" and prison break, all back to back.
Old 09-19-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Morf
Person A: Not a Nielsen viewer, watches AD, loves it. Tells Person B.

Person B: Not a Nielsen viewer, watches AD, loves it. Tells Person C.

Person C: Is a Nielsen viewer, watches AD, loves it. Ratings go up, show renewed, AD movie green-lit.

Etc.

I think you have to get to person X before you finally hit a nielsen viewer.
I loved their Emmy acceptance speech last night. Hopefully the plug helps their ratings.
Old 09-19-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Even though it means banishing the underwater aliens to VCR-land, I will watch & TiVo. Now I just have to decide whether to sample Kitchen Confidential or How I Met Your Mother afterward. Xander or Willow. Hmmm...

Last edited by adamblast; 09-19-05 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-19-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Plus, if 15 million viewers tune in, they'll give Carmen Electra one of their Emmys!
Old 09-19-05, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Funniest show on television...I like it because it takes a little bit of a brain and a thirst for something that's completely original in the world of re-vomited, boring, television sitcoms, to understand it and find it funny. I'm all over it tonight...Unfortunately, I teach until 8:30 but my friend is taping it and bringing it over right after. Two and a half hours to go. I can't wait!
Old 09-19-05, 08:46 PM

Come on, they are serious, Carmen deserves an emmy for all the great outfits she wears!!
Old 09-19-05, 10:51 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
Even though it means banishing the underwater aliens to VCR-land, I will watch & TiVo. Now I just have to decide whether to sample Kitchen Confidential or How I Met Your Mother afterward. Xander or Willow. Hmmm...
If you get SciFi, they are rebroadcasting Surface a couple of times a week (11 Eastern on Tuesdays for one; I'm not sure when else).
Old 09-19-05, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
so whose "chicken" dance have we seen? GOB, Lindsey... Didn't we see Lucille's?

I'd love to see George Sr.'s and Buster's.

Gob's is the - Cooka cooo...
Lindsey (with an A or e? lol) is the Chonchy, chong...
Lucilles is, ... A coodle doodle doo......

I dont think buster has one cuz hes says in the one where he get a job at the construction crew and they play "Chicken"... he says "Chickens dont sound like that,and they dont cluck"

Wonder if the chicken dance was one of the fabulous "lessons"
Old 09-20-05, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Her?

I went back to watch the first season again the other day, and I noticed that even that joke from season two stemmed from the first season.
I just finished re-watching season 2 and in the very first episode there is a newscast on for all to see and they cut away for cast reactions but you can still hear the news reporter in the background continuing his report... talking about a killer seal on the loose. Which is kinda cool, but that is long before Gob let's his seal loose.
Old 09-20-05, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Well, why aren't you?

9 out of 10 TV Talk posters who have seen it agree: it's one of the best shows on television, comedy or otherwise.

Critical acclaim, emmy noms, emmy wins, but the ratings are crap...what are you waiting for? A written invitation? WELL, HERE IT IS.

Come on, it's on TONIGHT (9/19) and it's only 30 minutes of your time (22 minutes if you DVR).

WARNING: this show does have a bit of a "learning curve." It takes most people 3-4 episodes to "get into it." So, don't be discouraged immediately!

Note: this is not directed at those who gave the show a good chance in the past, and found that it wasn't their cup of tea. It's directed to those of you who have never seen the show at all.
I don't watch sitcoms. Period. End of story.
Old 09-20-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by otmetrud
Well I wouldn't call it a sitcom, per se, anyway. Start watching!
Old 09-20-05, 07:49 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Why would I bother watching a show that can't even make the studio audience laugh?
Old 09-20-05, 07:54 AM

Who can argue with that logic?
Old 09-20-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watched the pilot and had no interest to keep watching ... I guess I should give the DVDs a try, but I'm not going to take 4 weeks to get acclimated to a show during the season.
Old 09-20-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, why aren't you?

Because I tried watching it last season about 3 or 4 times, (mostly due to the amount of discussion it seemed to generate in here) and I never laughed once. I didn't think people acting like total retards was all that funny. I do not see the appeal to this show at all.
Old 09-20-05, 09:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bralph
Why would I bother watching a show that can't even make the studio audience laugh?
That's kinda funny.
Old 09-20-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grunter
Because it's aggressively, disastrously unfunny.

And I tried, repeatedly to like the show. It's cleverly written. I'll give it that. But not once did I laugh out loud like I have at other sitcoms. I pored through the first DVD of the first season and tried several times to watch random episodes last year.

It's just not funny.
Ditto.

I've tried several times because this is EXACTLY the kind of show I should like. It's my kind of irreverant humor, it's filled with actors I like. It's just not funny. It's not even like I can say, "OK, I can see how that should be funny, maybe I'm just not laughing right now because of my current mood" or something. No, I can tell that I wouldn't find it funny to me under any circumstances.

I don't have anything against those who enjoy it, hell, I wish I could enjoy it. But sorry, my only conclusion is that it's just so off-the-wall that people WANT to believe that it's great stuff (and thereby include themselves amongst the group that "gets it"), when in reality it's a failed experiment.
Old 09-20-05, 11:58 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mainly because I just don't have time with my Ph D studies to get into many new shows on top of the ones I'm already committed too.

Thus this one got nixed from checking out as I'm not a big fan of comedy in general.
Old 09-20-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Phil L.
Because I tried watching it last season about 3 or 4 times, (mostly due to the amount of discussion it seemed to generate in here) and I never laughed once. I didn't think people acting like total retards was all that funny. I do not see the appeal to this show at all.
You have to take it in context. This is a family that has been accustomed to a certain lifestyle and is left to fend for themselves when the patriarch of the family is thrown in jail for building homes for Saddam. It is a bunch of people that have been spoiled for 30+ years and never had to work a day in their life thrust into the real world. Kinda like Paris Hilton. How sane and normal is she?
Old 09-20-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Since everyone praises it, I'll definitely give it a rent. But one of the things that stops me from jumping right into it is that it just looks SOOOO weird and crazy. Almost crazy for the sake of crazy. I remember I saw a preview where a guy had like a hook for his hand. It's funny I guess, but it came across as too much or trying to hard for me.
Old 09-20-05, 01:28 PM

They cram more funny in one show than any other sitcom and more plot than any one hour show.

This show should be ONE HOUR!! Then EVERYONE would watch.
Old 09-20-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, why aren't you?
Based on your strong recommendation, I figure I'll either love the show or hate it. Or fall somewhere inbetween.

So I was bored last night and did something that I've not done in years. Channel surfed. I found this show, was bored, had nothing better to do until Prison Break came on, so I ended up watching it. And... I thought it was good. If I bored again next Monday, I might remember to catch another episode.

What's interesting is my wife laughed harder than I did and she was at work in the kitchen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.