TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Comeback (HBO) - Series Thread - starring Lisa Kudrow

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice review from Scott.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22957

Looking forward to this one tomorrow. Not as many extras as I'd hoped for, but didn't expect much from the lack of enthusiasm the show received.
Old 08-01-06, 10:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Worst Show Ever.

So Bad That I Wish This Thread Wasnt Bumped Back Up To The Top.
Old 08-02-06, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BassDude
Looking forward to this one tomorrow. Not as many extras as I'd hoped for, but didn't expect much from the lack of enthusiasm the show received.
Well that and HBO is pretty stingy with extras even when the show IS a success (see The Sopranos and Sex and the City releases).
Old 08-03-06, 01:56 PM

WOW!

i just watched the DVD with the commentaries.

let me just say that the Valarie Cherish commentary on episode 2 is excellent- almost like a whole new episode.

the extra with valarie reflecting on the past season and talking about her and mark's production company is really lame.

the "dancing with the stars" extra is decent.

the set is, of course, all about the episodes... and they are all supurb. this is an excellent series with a lot of talent and it is a shame that hbo canned it after 1 season. maybe the dvd will help the series find some new fans as i'm sure there are many kudrow fans out there without HBO.
Old 08-04-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by vegasbaby
Worst Show Ever.
I believe ARLISS continues to wear that crown.

EW had a nice lil blurb about the show and DVD as well. Good to see some positive press on it, as I feel many missed out on a good show.
Old 08-04-06, 12:29 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by BassDude
I believe ARLISS continues to wear that crown.

EW had a nice lil blurb about the show and DVD as well. Good to see some positive press on it, as I feel many missed out on a good show.
Anything with the scrumptuos Sandrah 'Oh My' Oh cant be the worst ...

Old 08-07-06, 11:16 AM

Hello, hello, hello! I really think this series is misunderstood. Kudrow is brilliant ... she plays so many characters and her facial expressions are classic! You can sense her anxiety rising when she's on camera and there's nothing interesting happening. There's a great scene when Valerie goes to the Viper Room to see Juna perform. When she's introduced she starts dancing by herself. Oh my God! Now that the series is cancelled, will we ever really know why Paulie G was such a jerk to her?
Old 03-20-14, 05:34 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Re: HBO's "The Comeback" Ain't comin' back!

Looks like it may "come back":

After Netflix resurrected Arrested Development, another cult 2000s comedy, HBO‘s The Comeback, is eyeing a comeback. I’ve learned that HBO is in discussions with the series creators/executive producers Michael Partick King, who also served as director, and Lisa Kudrow, who toplined the show, about doing a second season almost a decade after the first one. Comeback, which debuted in June 2005, was a docu-style single-camera comedy starring Kudrow as washed-up sitcom actress Valerie Cherish, who gets a reality show documenting her attempt at a career comeback with a role on a new sitcom. The series, whose cast included Malin Akerman, didn’t go beyond the 13-episode first season, which earned three Emmy nominations, including a lead actress nom for Kudrow and a directing nom for King. Like Fox’s single-camera comedy Arrested Development, which aired at the same time, Comeback was considered to be ahead of its time. While it didn’t get a lot of traction during its original run, Comeback quickly achieved cult status, with fans still buzzing about it. The Comeback also has earned posthumous critical praise, landing on a number of lists of the best/most underrated comedy series of the last decade. Viewers are far more used to the style and pace of shows like The Comeback and Arrested Development now with a slew of series that also include another TV industry satire toplined by a former Friends star, Matt LeBlanc’s Showtime comedy Episodes.

Like the show’s fans, King and Kudrow — each busy with work (King is running his CBS comedy 2 Broke Girls, Kudrow has her Showtime series Web Therapy and has been recurring on ABC’s Scandal) — too had not forgotten The Comeback, often discussing a possible new chapter. “Every time we get together for lunch, we’re talking about, ‘OK, so what would happen next?’,” Kudrow told Bravo talk show host Andy Cohen last summer. Where do they envision Valerie a decade later? “Taking classes at the Actor’s Studio. Just because,” Kudrow told Cohen. “We really want her to be on a Bravo show.” Wouldn’t she be perfect for the Real Housewives franchise!” At the time, Kudrow was asked about doing a Kickstarter campaign to bring back the show, the way Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas and star Kristen Bell were able to resurrect their cult series with a feature. She didn’t rule out that route at the time. Now, a much better scenario is presenting itself if deals can be closed, with The Comeback making a comeback at the place where it started, HBO.
http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/come...on-2-hbo-plan/
Old 03-20-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: HBO's "The Comeback" Ain't comin' back!

wtf why
Old 05-05-14, 03:57 PM

HBO Revives Lisa Kudrow's "The Comeback"

Valerie Cherish’s Comeback is set.

HBO on Monday officially confirmed the worst kept secret in Hollywood: Lisa Kudrow’s underrated comedy is returning for a six-episode second season, to launch this fall.

The “limited series” will pick up 10 years later and find Valerie trying to gain a foothold in a very crowded TV landscape. “Valerie thinks she has it all figured out this time,” reads HBO’s press release. “She doesn’t.

“The Comeback holds a special place in the hearts of its many fans, including many of us here at HBO,” said the cabler’s programming president Michael Lombardo in a statement. “I can’t wait to find out what Valerie’s been up to since we last met.”

Added Kudrow: “It was almost too fun to play Valerie Cherish the first time around. I look forward to revisiting this resilient and ironically self-unaware character.”

The Comeback, which debuted on HBO in 2005, was cancelled after one very low-rated season. The series, and Valerie Cherish, went on to develop an avid cult following.

Kudrow will once again serve as an EP alongside her producing partner Dan Bucatinsky and Comeback creator Michael Patrick King.

http://tvline.com/2014/05/05/the-com...e-lisa-kudrow/
Old 05-05-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts
Re: HBO Revives Lisa Kudrow's "The Comeback"

I guess that means Web Therapy on Showtime was cancelled.
Old 05-05-14, 04:10 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I never watched this initially. Maybe I'll catch up with the original series on HBO Go.
Old 05-05-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

What Faustian bargain did Lisa Kudrow strike to have such a successful career as an actress?
Old 05-05-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
What Faustian bargain did Lisa Kudrow strike to have such a successful career as an actress?
Sometimes you luck out and get signed onto a show with five other really talented actors.
Old 05-05-14, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Never even heard of it.
Old 05-05-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts

From what I recall, the stuff in in the first several episodes were just not funny at all. It finally got interesting in the final 3-4 episodes, but apparently it was too late by then and most people already bailed...

Assuming if they can keep it at the quality level of the 2nd half of the season I may check it out again.
Old 05-06-14, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Sometimes you luck out and get signed onto a show with five other really talented actors.
Hmmm, I think she was at least as talented as the rest of the cast.
Old 05-06-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thats pretty cool... I picked this one up from Big Lots years ago and watched it all... it's decent, a little overrated by how everyone else seems to make it, but it was good...

...maybe one day HBO will do the same to Deadwood (crosses fingers)... most likely after Justified has ran its course
Old 05-06-14, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I think that's what he meant by "other talented actors."

I wonder if they'll change the text at the bottom of the cover art for any newly-made DVDs. (It's on Warner Archive now, apparently.)

Old 05-06-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Her and Matthew Perry were carrying that show on their back the first season. The rest of the cast was green as grass early on.
Old 05-06-14, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I guess that means Web Therapy on Showtime was cancelled.
Showtime renewed it for season 4 back in January. Not sure when it will be premiering though.
Old 05-07-14, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Showtime renewed it for season 4 back in January. Not sure when it will be premiering though.
It shouldn't be too tough to juggle both since this S2 is only going to be 6 20-minute installments. How long could that really take to write/film/edit? Wasn't most of it improv-ed anyway?
Old 11-09-14, 03:30 PM

Re: The Comeback - Series Premiere - 9:30ET, HBO - 6/5/05

While shooting footage for a self-produced reality TV pilot she hopes will get picked up by Bravo, Valerie Cherish learns that her nemesis, Paulie G., is creating a series for HBO about a sitcom writer and his relationship with a neurotic older actress - a redhead named Mallory Church. After dropping in on Andy Cohen's lunch, an incensed Valerie crashes the HBO offices to create a "table flipping scene" worthy of a Bravo show, as she tells them to cease and desist.
Read more: Listings - COMEBACK, THE on HBO | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3IbpnIVbM

8 episode second season... 9 years after the first.
Old 11-10-14, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts
Re: The Comeback (HBO) - Series Thread - starring Lisa Kudrow

Is she the first person ever to have a HBO and Showtime series (Web Therapy) on at the same time?
Old 11-10-14, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
Her and Matthew Perry were carrying that show on their back the first season. The rest of the cast was green as grass early on.
Courtney Cox would like to have a word with you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.