Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Comeback (HBO) - Series Thread - starring Lisa Kudrow

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BassDude
The finale wrapped everything up nicely for a one season show.
At least you have that.

HBO cuts short Kudrow's "Comeback"

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - HBO on Monday axed "The Comeback," a mockumentary comedy starring Lisa Kudrow as a has-been actress seeking to revive her career.

The former "Friends" star also created the show with production partner Michael Patrick King. Its 13-episode run ended September 4. Said an HBO spokeswoman, "We've looked at our schedule, and given our future commitments, we felt we would not be able to give the show the support it needed."
Old 09-21-05, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had these all saved to watch, watched a couple, still couldn't get into it. Just no likeable characters, and you can only watch someone be embarrassed for so long (Office not standing)
Old 09-21-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
I had these all saved to watch, watched a couple, still couldn't get into it. Just no likeable characters, and you can only watch someone be embarrassed for so long (Office not standing)
You really should stick it out until the end of the season... the show is a bit grating at first, but it IS much like The Office. The payoff comes in the last 3 episodes - and the finale is hilarious! Clearly not a episodic show - you need to see the entire season to get the joke. Though I doubt it will see a second season as I don't think it did well in the ratings.
Old 09-21-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
You really should stick it out until the end of the season... the show is a bit grating at first, but it IS much like The Office. The payoff comes in the last 3 episodes - and the finale is hilarious! Clearly not a episodic show - you need to see the entire season to get the joke. Though I doubt it will see a second season as I don't think it did well in the ratings.
You are right, there won't be a second season.

Link
Old 09-21-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just read that HBO cancelled the series as well.

There is a God.
Old 09-21-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ahhh, more people who have me on their ignore list.
Old 10-07-05, 01:48 PM

HBO's "The Comeback" Ain't comin' back!

In my opinion, The Comeback, starring lisa kudrow was the BEST thing to happen to HBO since the first season of Six Feet Under. Everything about the show was perfect. I couldnt wait every Sunday night to see what Valerie and Mickey were up to!

It has come to my sad attention that this show is NOT going to be getting a second season.

HBO did a shitty job of promoting this show and I really think it needs to get another chance. Lisa Kudrow does "Val Cherish" wayyy better than Matt LeBlanc now does "Joey".

To add to it, HBO has removed Comeback from HBO on Demand! So now, we are supposed to wait for a DVD that might never happen? Is the comeback gone forever? Say it isnt so!

in the words of ms. cherish:
GIVE HER ANOTHER TAKE GIVE HER ANOTHER TAKE!
Old 10-07-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good.
Old 10-07-05, 02:23 PM

a lot of people LOVE this show. it has a loyal following, like Carnivale did ... hbo canned that too.
Old 10-07-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought this was the worst show HBO's produced in the last 5-10... Kudrow's character was quite possibly the most annoying person ever written, without a single redeeming, likeable quality. Which made her just about unwatchable...

The supporting cast was fine, and most of the time funny... But Valerie Chrerish was like nails on a chalkboard...

Of course this is just my opinion...
Old 10-07-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried to watch it on free HBO weekends and just couldn't get into it.
Old 10-07-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I like Lisa Kudrow but I thought the show was horrible. I gave it three chances and then gave up.
Old 10-07-05, 02:42 PM

ill agree, it started off slow...

but once you got to know valerie and all her quirks, it was great. "Valerie Goes to Palm Springs" (i think its like episode 7 or 8) was a turning point for the series and turned it from good into excellent. It was even getting positive (shocking , i know) attention from Entertainment Weekly- they put it on top of the Must See list and also have used many quotes from the series in the quotables section.

I would give ANYTHING for a 2nd season. i feel bad for everyone involved in the show- they really gave it their all and now its being dismissed almost as it never existed.
Old 10-07-05, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by mikewendt
I thought this was the worst show HBO's produced in the last 5-10... Kudrow's character was quite possibly the most annoying person ever written, without a single redeeming, likeable quality. Which made her just about unwatchable...

The supporting cast was fine, and most of the time funny... But Valerie Chrerish was like nails on a chalkboard...

Of course this is just my opinion...
Wow, I feel violated like someone stole my thoughts. What was HBO thinking with this bad bad show. Good riddance.
Old 10-07-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
IMO this was the worst original series HBO has put out in recent history. I'm not saddened at all by it's departure.
Old 10-07-05, 04:31 PM

This is good. Now Entourage can be an hour long!
Old 10-07-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This show fucking sucked. On par with Arliss for an HBO show sucking.

And I can say that as my friend appeared in two episodes, so it's technically not threadcrapping.

Old 10-07-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Andy=Lisa
Cleveland=Kudrow

(Although nothing could possibly suck as much as Arli$$ sucked. It set new records for sucking.)
Old 10-07-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never watched the show, so I can't speak to it's quality one way or another. My general rule with HBO is catch all the hour long dramas and Thursday night adult programming but skip all the half-hour comedies. I've tried a few and could never get into them. Gives me more time for movies anyway.
Old 10-07-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This show had a following?! Really? You're kidding right?!
Old 10-07-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I never watched the show, so I can't speak to it's quality one way or another. My general rule with HBO is catch all the hour long dramas and Thursday night adult programming but skip all the half-hour comedies. I've tried a few and could never get into them. Gives me more time for movies anyway.
Hey, Curb... is a great half-hour comedy.

Maybe their only good half-hour comedy, ever.

But it's there.
Old 10-07-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seriously... this was one of the worst shows I've ever watched and I tuned in to at least four episodes trying to like it.
Old 10-07-05, 09:57 PM

The only times I watched this was when I was waiting for Entourage to start. I'm just glad I'll never have to see it ever again for those last 5 minutes because it really annoyed the shit out of me.
Old 10-07-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do a search on this forum Andy and you'll see I've been a fan as well. Dug it. Looked forward to it. Defended it.

The way the season ended I figured it wouldn't be picked up for another season. (I'd put it in spoilers, but not many on this forum care, so...) Having her reality show be a success despite her thinking it went the wrong way kind of wrapped it all up nicely. Brought her character through the complete arc, from feeling her "older" way was the only way, to accepting that the changes in Hollywood (reality shows, network setups/casting, creative editting, etc) DO work, and made her a star again.

I'll miss it, but I saw the writing on the wall. I'll hope for a DVD and turn on some friends to it. And I'll keep quoting the lines and mannerism I've been using since day one. :-)

Last edited by BassDude; 10-07-05 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-07-05, 11:13 PM

Hey bassdude, thanks for the comments. it seems you and i are the only ones posting on this forum to care for this show.

you do make a point about it being wrapped up nicely in the finale. but they could have done so much more with this if there was another season.

and yes, this show DOES have a following and i can really see this turning into a cult favorite.

about 2 million people watched the show every sunday night. that doesnt count reruns and onDemand. i would bet it's close to 4 million per week when it's all said and done- that's not TOO shabby. I just hope the DVD has tons of features, especially some insight from Kudrow and how she feels about the treatment and reaction of the series.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.