Network Upfront Week (2005-06 network schedule announcements), May 16-19

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
NBC Execs Offer Postmortems for 'Dreams,' 'Jury'
(Monday, May 16 12:46 PM)
By Daniel Fienberg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) When you've fallen from first place to fourth as quickly as NBC has, there will inevitably be casualties. Discussing the new fall schedule with reporters on Monday (May 16), NBC Entertainment President Kevin Reilly and NBC Universal President Jeff Zucker took some time to mourn the passing of several beloved and high profile failures.
Perhaps no show departing the airwaves will be as mourned by its fans as "American Dreams." Unfortunately, after three seasons of good faith from NBC, "Dreams" was only averaging 7.3 million viewers, an audience that didn't improve when the network temporarily moved it from Sunday to Wednesday. Even though Zucker was one of the period drama's most outspoken supporters, there just wasn't room for "Dreams" on a network trying to change directions.

"It just becomes, unfortunately, the contradiction of America, I guess," Reilly says. "People say they want quality, family-friendly shows at 8:00 and yet you put them on and what they really want to watch is 'Desperate Housewives.' Ultimately, we are in a business here. We love the show... It just was not pulling the ratings to really justify the cost of the show or to justify another year on the schedule."

As badly as "American Dreams" performed on Sundays, the heavily hyped "The Contender" drew an even smaller audience (which explains why NBC has transplanted Emmy-winning institution "The West Wing" to Sundays next fall). The boxing series, from industry heavyweights Mark Burnett and Jeffrey Katzenberg, weathered numerous delays and the tragic death of one of its contestants, but it was probably just knocked out by its subject matter.
"I think that at the end of the day, it was about boxing and that was a pretty high bar to get over," Zucker says.

Although its weekly audience has been sub-"Dreams," "The Contender" delivered stronger demographic numbers than its time slot predecessor and also produced a fervent base of young, male viewers.

"I think it was a damn good show," Reilly says. "I think they delivered on the show they pitched and the fans that watched it were very passionate about it and thought it was fantastic. I make no apologies for the quality of the show."

Another NBC show that wilted under the weight of high expectations was "Law & Order: Trial by Jury," the fourth permutation in the reliable Dick Wolf franchise. Averaging 11.2 million viewers in a slow Friday time period, "Trial by Jury" was one of the network's most surprisingly cancellations, but its departure reflects on the network's diminished status.

"'Law & Order: Trial By Jury' was ordered last year while we were still the No. 1 network," Reilly explains. "In that kind of environment, it felt like we could sustain four 'Law & Orders.' This spring, we find ourselves in a different situation and it really looked like we needed to open up some more time periods for some new shows."

Readers will have to check back next May to see if those new shows -- including "Inconceivable" and "Fathom" -- have fared any better.

Link
Old 05-16-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome news...... people...... start watching this show please...its funny as hell
Old 05-16-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Finally! Great news about Arrested Development.

Fair is Fair and a thank you note is warranted for this move by Fox as long as they don't pull a "Tru Calling" scenario here.
I'm amazed that fox even consitered renewing tru calling, since they put it in a death slot thursdays at 8 with survivor and friends.
Old 05-16-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 648 Likes on 522 Posts
As I said before, I think TBJ was more deserving of renewal than CI. It won its timeslot about half the time. My prediction is that the replacement for TBJ will do no better in that slot and will be quickly canned.

Re: American Dreams, I guess I can smile at the fact that The Contender (which got a tremendous amount of hype) did worse than AD. Plus, just think if The Contender aired during football season - nobody would have watched it. I'm upset at NBC for not giving the producers a heads up that they were cancelling AD because the ending was terrible for the fans of the series - even worse than Enterprise.
Old 05-16-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,385 Likes on 943 Posts
sad to see Quints get canned. No more Andy Richter.
Old 05-16-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Since when does ranking 96th become an advertiaser appeal? Gives me chills how many awards and nominations this show has raked in and still can't pull the viewers. What is wrong with people?

I agree on thanking fox. Anyone have an email or address anywhere?
I think AD's biggest problem is that most people watch a single episode and go "wtf is this?". The show takes a few episodes to get the feel down, and to appreciate all that is going on and the references. When you do - gold. When you don't - you don't like it. It took me about 5-6 episodes to really appreciate the show. Now - this and Scrubs are my two favorite comedies.
Old 05-16-05, 05:00 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 283 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
As I said before, I think TBJ was more deserving of renewal than CI. It won its timeslot about half the time. My prediction is that the replacement for TBJ will do no better in that slot and will be quickly canned.
I agree

I wonder if the return of
Spoiler:
Chris Noth
next season helped it.
Old 05-16-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by MrX
I agree

I wonder if the return of
Spoiler:
Chris Noth
next season helped it.

Maybe. I for one will be watching those particular episodes.
Old 05-16-05, 05:32 PM

Received 847 Likes on 553 Posts
Sad to see Committed and L&O:TBJ go. I also would have liked to see Medical Investigation have one more shot.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 05-16-05 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-16-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Sad to see Committed and L&O:TBJ go. I also would have liked to see Medical Investigation have one more shot.
Although I gave up on Medical Investigation mid-season, I was surprised that NBC had canceled it. Wasn't that supposed to be a modest hit? It did not have huge ratings, but I thought for its timeslot it was doing rather well. I seem to recall NBC saying it was their highest rated new drama this year (which admittedly isn't saying much.) It seems weird to pull it to put on an another unproven medical drama.

Speaking of which, the description for that Inconceivable show just made me laugh. A drama about a fertility clinic? I might tune in just to see how they do it. It will probably suck, but maybe on the off chance it could be cool a la Nip/tuck.
Old 05-16-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too am shocked, first, because a Law and Order series was cancelled, second, that it wasn't Criminal Intent and finally because it had over 11 million viewers!! What was Enterprise getting, 3-4 million? Drawing 11 million viewers on a Friday night is pretty damn good. I could think of a dozen other shows to cut besides that one....jeesh.
Old 05-16-05, 09:34 PM

Is,nt NBC getting Sundaynight Fottball?
Old 05-16-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 178 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by blackmagic
Is,nt NBC getting Sundaynight Fottball?
Not until 2006.
Old 05-16-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by theedge
I too am shocked, first, because a Law and Order series was cancelled, second, that it wasn't Criminal Intent and finally because it had over 11 million viewers!! What was Enterprise getting, 3-4 million? Drawing 11 million viewers on a Friday night is pretty damn good. I could think of a dozen other shows to cut besides that one....jeesh.
Well, I won't touch your CI comment, but it didn't help Third Watch any. I think they were averaging 9-10 million. I'm guessing NBC is looking for Desperate Housewives/Lost numbers on a Friday night.
Old 05-17-05, 12:33 AM

ABC is stupid.

Who in their right mind ever watched Jake in Progress?

Any of their nonrenewed shows were better than that monstrosity.
Old 05-17-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by uhftv
ABC is stupid.

Who in their right mind ever watched Jake in Progress?

Any of their nonrenewed shows were better than that monstrosity.
Yeah - I'm guessing they expect every show to pull in LOST and Desperate Housewives numbers. Really too bad about Eyes, but I don't know what they expected putting it in the old Karen Sisco slot against CSI:NY and Law & Order. It should have been on Sundays at 10 where the terminally ill, infinitely inferior Grey's Anatomy is in residence.
Old 05-17-05, 08:16 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Here's ABC

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) It's been quite a year at ABC. Mired deep in fourth in most key measures last year at this time, the network has posted what it describes as the largest season-to-season audience growth for any major network in the coveted adult 18-49 demographic in at least 25 years. However, not content to continue along the same path, ABC has shaken up its schedule from top to bottom for next season.

Coming off a year that saw ABC land fresh breakout hits from "Desperate Housewives" to "Lost" to "Grey's Anatomy," the network is prepared to launch three new dramas and two new comedies this fall, with even more new programming on tap for midseason. In addition, the network is shifting around many of its most popular and established shows, looking for footholds on new nights and in new time periods, with only Sunday night (and the Saturday movie) remaining stable.

"Through strong development and strategic marketing, we were able to make valuable strides this season. Our responsibility next season and beyond is to continue that forward movement," says ABC Entertainment President Stephen McPherson. "We're grateful to all of the people at ABC, as well as those in the creative community who are contributing to our promising first steps."

Viewers may need to seek out such favorites as "Boston Legal" (now on Tuesday) and "Alias" (running the lead leg on what ABC hopes will be a vital Thursday), but ABC has set up familiar buffers for most of its new offerings. On the comedy side, ABC's fresh fall will include "Freddie" and "Hot Properties," while "Commander-in-Chief," "Invasion" and "The Night Stalker" are the new dramas.

ABC's week will kick off on Mondays with "Wife Swap" leading into the network's final season of "Monday Night Football." When the pigskin action comes to its close, "The Bachelor" will return in the 8 p.m. ET time period, followed by the Heather Graham comedy "Emily's Reasons Why Not," and the returning single-camera comedy "Jake in Progress." The John Stamos comedy was one of ABC's most surprising renewal. The night will conclude with "What About Brian," a J.J. Abrams-created dramedy starring Barry Watson and the only one of three pilots from the "Lost" creator to make ABC's roster.

"According to Jim" and "Rodney" move up an hour to kick-start ABC's Tuesday. Instead of more comedy, though, ABC will shift gears with Geena Davis in the female president drama "Commander-in-Chief" at 9 p.m. and "Boston Legal" in its new 10 p.m. home.

On Wednesday, ABC is moving the desert island smash "Lost" down to 9 p.m., starting the night with new comedies, returning bubble show "George Lopez" and "Freddie," which aims to make a sitcom star out of Freddie Prinze Jr. "Lost" will take the middle of the night, providing a compatible lead-in of "Invasion," an alien-based drama that McPherson describes simply as "spectacular."

For the third year in a row, "Alias" finds itself in a new home, joining the tight battle on Thursday night at 8 p.m. The action show, which will have to deal with star Jennifer Garner's reported pregnancy, will set up "The Night Stalker," an update of the 1970s supernatural series, which had a strong cult fanbase. The night will close with "Primetime Live."

After several seasons of attempting to rejuvenate TGIF comedies on Friday night, ABC is turning over the evening's first hour to the not-so-funny reality series "Supernanny." Returning comedy "Hope & Faith" is one of the few shows in ABC's entire schedule to remain in its home from last year, setting up the real estate half-hour "Hot Properties." The 10 p.m. hour goes to "20/20."

ABC is remaining true to the movie-of-the-week on Saturday.

The network will also hold on to the Sunday lineup that has gone from struggling to unstoppable in recent months. From "America's Home Videos" to "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" to returning hits "Desperate Housewives" and "Grey's Anatomy" (now ordered for a full season of 22 episodes), ABC can count on closing its week strong.

Including the Monday post-football shows, ABC has already ordered a whopping seven shows, with three comedies, three dramas and one alternative program.
Figures once they finally got some people to watch Alais they'd move it
Old 05-17-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From Ain't it Cool News...

If this is true, there are some interesting changes at ABC especially moving Lost to 9:00 pm and moving Alias on 8pm Thursday.

Official announcement comes in a few hours, but here’s how ABC’s fall slate seems to shake out very early Tuesday:

Monday
8 p.m. Wife Swap
9 p.m. Monday Night Football

Tuesday
8 p.m. According To Jim
8:30 p.m. Rodney
9 p.m. Commander-in-Chief
10 p.m. Boston Legal

Wednesday
8 p.m. George Lopez
8:30 p.m. Freddie
9 p.m. Lost
10 p.m. Invasion

Thursday
8 p.m. Alias
9 p.m. The Night Stalker
10 p.m. Primetime Live

Friday
8 p.m. Supernanny
9 p.m. Hope and Faith
9:30 p.m. Hot Properties
10 p.m. 20/20

Saturday
8 p.m. Movie

Sunday
7 p.m. America’s Funniest Home Videos
8 p.m. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
9 p.m. Desperate Housewives
10 p.m. Grey’s Anatomy

TO RETURN AT MIDSEASON:
* The Bachelor
* Jake in Progress (USA Today said only last month it was “gone (or nearly dead)!!)

ON-THE-BUBBLE SHOWS RENEWED:
* Jake in Progress (USA Today said only last month it was “gone (or nearly dead)!!)
* Less Than Perfect
* Rodney (USA Today said only last month it was “gone (or nearly dead)!!)

ON-THE-BUBBLE SHOWS DISCARDED:
* Blind Justice
* 8 Simple Rules
* Eyes

CANCELLED EARLIER THIS SEASON:
* The Benefactor
* Complete Savages
* Life as We Know It
* NYPD Blue

NEW SHOWS:
* "Commander-in-Chief." Hourlong comedy-drama, from writer-director Rod Lurie (“The Contender,” “Line of Fire”), about the first female U.S. president. It stars Geena Davis (“The Geena Davis Show”), Kyle Secor (“Homicide,” “Veronica Mars”), Julie Ann Emory (“In the Line of Fire”), Leslie Hope (“24,” “In the Line of Fire”), Donald Sutherland (“Cold Mountain”), Ever Carradine (“Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back”), Caitlin Wachs (“Thirteen Days”) and Harry Lennix (the “knuckle-up!” guy from the “Matrix” series).

* "Freddie." Sitcom, written by Freddie Prinze Jr. (!) and someone named Conrad Jackson, about a successful chef raised by females. With Prinze (“Scooby Doo 2”), Megyn Price (“Grounded For Life”), Jenny Gago (“Coach Carter”), Jacqueline Obradors (“NYPD Blue”) and Brian Austin Green (“Beverly Hills 90210”).

* "Hot Properties." Sitcom, from writer Suzanne Martin (“Frasier,” “Maybe It’s Me”), about young Manhattan realtors in love. It stars Gail O’Grady (“American Dreams”), Sofia Vergara (“Soul Plane”), Audra Blaser (“Bandidas”), Nicole Sullivan (“Mad TV”), Stephen Dunham (“Monster-in-Law”), Amy Hill (“50 First Dates”) and Evan Handler (“Sex and the City”).

* "Invasion." Sci-fi hourlong, from writer Shaun Cassidy (“American Gothic,” “The Agency,” “Cold Case,” “The Mountain”), about a small town secretly plagued by extraterrestrial body snatchers. It stars Eddie Cibrian (“Third Watch”), Kari Matchett (“5ive Days to Midnight”), Ariel Gade (“Envy”), Evan Peters (“Sleepover”), Tyler Labine (“My Boss’s Daughter”), William Fichtner (“Crash”), Liz Sheridan (“Seinfeld”), and Aisha Hinds (“The Shield”).

* "The Night Stalker." Supernatural thriller, from writer-director Frank Spotnitz (“The X-Files”), about a journalist named Carl Kolchak who believes his wife’s murder is tied to forces of the uncanny. It stars Stuart Townsent (“League of Extraordinary Gentlemen”), Gabrielle Union (“Bring It On”), Cotter Smith (“X2”) and Eric Jungman (“Not Another Teen Movie”).
MIDSEASON:

* "Crumbs." Sitcom, from writer Marco Pennette (“All About The Andersons,” “I’m With Her,” “What I Like About You”), about two brothers running their family’s business following the deaths of their parents. It stars Eddie McClintock (“The Sweetest Thing”), Fred Savage (“Austin Powers in Goldmember”), Maggie Lawson (“Inside Schwartz,” “It’s All Relative”), Jane Curtin (“3rd Rock From The Sun”) and William Devane (“24”).

* "Emily's Reasons Why Not." Sitcom, from writer Emily Kapnek (Nickelodeon’s “As Told By Ginger”), about a 30-year-old book publicist recovering from a nasty breakup with a cheating author. It stars Heather Graham (“From Hell”), Nadia Dajani (“View From The Top”) and Smith Cho (“Faking the Video”).

* "Evidence." San Francisco procedural hourlong, written by Dustin Thomason and Sam Baum (the TV-Movie “Young McGyver”), centering on a police inspector who lost his wife to a brutal murder. It stars Nikky Katt (“Boston Legal”), Michele Hicks (“The Shield”), Orlando Jones (“Evolution”) and Martin Landau (“Hollywood Homicide”).

* "In Justice." Procedural hourlong, from screenwriter Robert King (“Clean Slate,” “Speechless,” “Vertical Limit”), about defense investigators who work to free the wrongfully convicted. It stars Jason O’Mara (“Band of Brothers”), Daniel Cosgrove (“All Souls,” “Van Wilder”) and Constance Zimmer (“Good Morning, Miami”).

* "Sons and Daughters.” Family sitcom written by two guys named Fred Goss and Nick Holly. It stars Goss (Bravo’s “Significant Others”), Desmond Harrington (“L.A. Dragnet”), Jerry Lambert (“Wake Up, Ron Burgundy”) and Gillian Vigman (“After the Sunset”).

* "What About Brian." Hourlong, from writer Dana Stevens (“For Love of the Game,” “Life or Something Like It”), about a thirtysomething man who realizes he’s the last of his clique to get married. It stars Barry Watson (“7th Heaven”), Polly Shannon (“Street Time”), Amanda Detmer (“The Majestic”), Matthew Davis (“Blue Crush”), Rosanna Arquette (“The L Word”), Raoul Bova (“Alien Vs. Predator”) and Rick Gomez (“Sin City”).

EDIT - Beaten to the punch.
Old 05-17-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great. just what I need. another show on Thursday(Alias).
Old 05-17-05, 08:31 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

"Freddie." Sitcom, written by Freddie Prinze Jr. (!) and someone named Conrad Jackson, about a successful chef raised by females. With Prinze (“Scooby Doo 2”), Megyn Price (“Grounded For Life”), Jenny Gago (“Coach Carter”), Jacqueline Obradors (“NYPD Blue”) and Brian Austin Green (“Beverly Hills 90210”).
The first important question of the fall, Do I want to sit through this sure to be suckfest just to see Jacqueline Obradors?
Old 05-17-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Goodbye 8 Simple Rules
Old 05-17-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk God

For all the good things ABC did this season: Lost, DH, Boston Legal, and Grey's Anatomy, it was almost matched by its bad things: cancelling 8 Simple Rules, putting life as we know it in no-chance timeslot and then moving it directly against a show with the same exact demographic (The O.C.), and never even giving its best new show, Eyes, a chance. Fuckers.
Old 05-17-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Alias is toast.
Old 05-17-05, 08:48 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like Greg Grunberg and J.J. Abrams show "The Catch" didn't make it. Hopefully this means Weiss will be sticking around on Alias
Old 05-17-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk God

I think moving Lost to 9 pm is a brilliant move. It gives them a great lead-in for Invasion to take on the juggernauts at 10 pm. Too bad they didn't give Eyes that kind of lead-in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.