Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Carnivale no more. :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-05, 03:24 PM
sdk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ Have you seen the show? The show won more emmys (emmys are for tv right) for it's first season than the sopranos did.

I would not mind it if she was right. But i doubt she is. But it is nice that they are calling it it's "pride and joy" and that it has been getting "good ratings" But still get canceled

Last edited by sdk; 05-09-05 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-09-05, 03:26 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Well, I just called the number that das Monkey posted and the drone who answered the phone said that she had no idea where these rumors were coming from, but that HBO was pleased with the way Carnivale was performing and that it would be back for a third season. So obviously, you never know what the front-line person who is answering the phone knows and does not know, but hopefully she had accurate information and it will be coming back.

Edit: Looks like dave-o had the same idea I did.
Old 05-09-05, 03:30 PM
sdk

Fingers crossed, maybe clancy brown is playing some sick joke on us. But i guess we will find out soon enough.

Last edited by sdk; 05-09-05 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-09-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I think you may have the wrong impression. While there's a 6-year plan, it's 3 2-year stories. Seasons 1 and 2 do form a coherent and near-complete story unto themselves. This is a very poor analogy, but it's not unlike the Star Wars franchise. There may be 9 films in concept, but taken as 3 trilogies, they stand mostly on their own. Granted, Carnivale is likely closer to how I'd expect Sith to end than Jedi in that everything is not tied up into a neat bow, but these two seasons do provide a beginning, middle, and end; there just happens to be a larger plan that won't come to fruition. This is profoundly frustrating, but it's not something like Crusade or Firefly or John Doe.

das
Ooooohhhhh. OK, then I agree - it still really sucks, but it's not the huge slap in the face that I thought it was. Would you recommend that I buy them or rent them? (in other words, I think it's probably still worth watching, but what's the replay value since there is no overall story completion?)
Old 05-09-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just going to hold on to the show until I see something official. I really hope it makes the cut. it is the only thing I really watch on cable anymore.
Old 05-09-05, 03:40 PM
sdk

I have watched season 1 nearly five times so there is replay value there, and even if it is cancelled it is still a great show. While it lasted, and i would recomend you buy it.
Old 05-09-05, 03:41 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
So we have an unimpeachable source's words versus that of a couple random HBO CSR's. I won't believe anything until I hear confirmation from Brother Justin or Ben Hawkins themselves!
Old 05-09-05, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by sdk
^^ Have you seen the show? The show won more emmys (emmys are for tv right) for it's first season than the sopranos did.
I am assuming that this was meant for the poster above my last one....right?
Old 05-09-05, 04:04 PM
sdk

yes it was.
Old 05-09-05, 04:06 PM
sdk

Acording to one of the moderators over at carnycon chat there is no truth in what the lady at the phone is saying. The show has gotten the can.

Last edited by sdk; 05-09-05 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-09-05, 05:50 PM
Cool New Member

I can be totally wrong on this one, but IIRC Carnivale got mostly technical awards, this sort of stuff. I don't think that HBO really cares much about Emmies like that - they want "Best TV show" sort of nominations. I can be wrong of course. A lot of online critics were very cold about the show - beautifully shot, but slow paced, lacking, etc. I think critics coldness ultimately killed the show. Network mostly care about ratings, HBO cares more about critics. When I was searching for reviews on Carnivale I mostly got lukewarm ones, many critics seemed to be dissappointed with the show's writing, etc.

Of course I hope it stays on air, but I cannot blame HBO, and wouldn't give up on the best damned channel in USA. The show was nice but not The Wire or Arrested Development.
Old 05-09-05, 06:09 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Already cancel my HBO when Carnivale stop screening. Guess my $12 bucks a month did not make a dent at HBO.......
Old 05-09-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
We're still awaiting an official word one way or the other.

It's like Schrödinger's cat.

While it isn't strange that a company rep would deny cancellation before it's officially announced -- especially by claiming that the network considers it a crown jewel and is satisfied with the ratings, it does seem strange that the rep would claim they're preparing a third season if in fact they aren't. (Unless that's just a general reply they use while a decision is being made about renewal.)

If the "unimpeachable source" is Clancy Brown, I suppose it's possible that there's some miscommunication somewhere. Maybe it was just him that was released from the series (very possible when one considers the events of the second season finale) and it somehow got to him that the series was cancelled?
Old 05-09-05, 09:38 PM

I find it interesting that these people who answer the phone are so adamant about the show not being cancelled. Not because I believe them, but because it makes me wonder. If they truly don't know they should just say that they have no information on this topic. However, if they are being instructed to answer the way they are (and this seems highly likely based on my conversation with them) then that is just an extra slap in the face to us fans.
Old 05-10-05, 04:34 AM
sdk

It was not only clancy brown it was also Debra Christofferson, Brian Turk and one of the executive producers (don't remeber the name) But they did all break the NDA.

Last edited by sdk; 05-10-05 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-10-05, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no idea what's going on with the show, but the people answering the phones will be the last to know anything. They'll find out when an official press statement is released, and likely not a moment before.

WarriorPrincess, it's definitely worth your time to watch. As for buying vs. renting, that really depends on you, but if you can't get a good deal on the set, renting may be reasonable. Personally, I would buy it, and I gave the first season a "Highly Recommended" review, but it really depends on your finances and propensity for rewatching shows.

das
Old 05-10-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It it comes to it, I hope at least they do a movie or something that can wrap up some of the loose ends. I love this show.
Old 05-11-05, 09:18 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- HBO has pulled up stakes on "Carnivale," opting not to order a third season of the circus-set Dust Bowl drama.

Prospects for a "Carnivale" renewal have appeared bleak since the sophomore season wrapped in March; the show didn't increase its viewership, and series creator/executive producer Daniel Knauf already signed on to produce a series for the rival Showtime cable channel.

"We have decided not to renew 'Carnivale,' " said Carolyn Strauss, president of entertainment at HBO, in a statement. "We feel the two seasons we had on the air told the story very well and we are proud of what everyone associated with the show has accomplished."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...eut/index.html
Old 05-11-05, 09:25 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Well it's official. Time to move on...
Old 05-11-05, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-11-05, 01:10 PM

Arggghh!

I called the number and they sure are singing a different tune today!

"Yes it has been cancelled"
"It was my favorite show too"
"A lot of people have been calling today"

All said in a very sad and mournful tone...must have got that new response sheet in today.

Well, at least now I can put my money towards Stars Network and watch some good movies for a change.

Have I said argghhh yet?

Old 05-11-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fuckers
Old 05-12-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Son of a BITCH!

"We feel the two seasons we had on the air told the story very well ...."

Were they watching the same show?
Old 05-12-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
I watch Carnivale, Deadwood and SFU on HBO, and two out of three of these won't be back next year. Not sure if HBO will be worth it anymore .
Old 05-13-05, 02:55 AM

I am also sorry they cancelled this nice show. But I am very thankful they made this show in first place. Let's give HBO some credit. They are the best in bringing quality television. Almost everything they make is great. I am a huge fan of a lot of their series (The Wire, SFU, Sopranos, Curb, Deadwood, enz) I am also very happy they renewed 'The Wire'. My favourite show right now. Give them a brake and enjoy what they give us. I am sure the next great show is right around the corner.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.