Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Outlaws" -- 02.16.2005

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 349 Posts
OK, I coulda sworn I saw Ethan breathing when Charlie and Hurley were digging!
Old 02-17-05, 12:01 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bronkster

haha, I saw that too. I think it was just the wind blowing the tarp (or whatever they wrapped him in). I was waiting for his fingers to start twitching when they showed that low angle shot, though. Makes you wonder if they were just being cute or trying to foreshadow something...
Old 02-17-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good episode in terms of Sawyer's backstory, still it was a little confusing about whether or not he killed the right guy. We still don't know how Jack's father dies though, IMO. No major advancement of the island storyline kind of sucks, but hopefully they'll have more of that come May. Also I think some of the people on the island might soon start to realize how they all fit together. I think Sawyer definitely suspects that Jack's father was the guy in the bar, and we might see more such "revelations" in the upcoming weeks.
Old 02-17-05, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
What was so confusing about this episode?

Sawyer was set up by Robert Patrick. End of story.

Unless, of course, Bubba Gump was lying after he was shot. But the way it stands now is that Sawyer shot the wrong person.
Old 02-17-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Too bad Sawyer never watched the movie Memento, or he would have made the Sopranos co-star connection:

was really doing the same thing as

Old 02-17-05, 02:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
What was so confusing about this episode?

Sawyer was set up by Robert Patrick. End of story.

Unless, of course, Bubba Gump was lying after he was shot. But the way it stands now is that Sawyer shot the wrong person.
My thoughts exactly.

Unless Im missing something, -why do some people think that Sawyer had anything to do with
Spoiler:
killing Jack's father???
Old 02-17-05, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How many of us were screaming at the TV, "Spill it, Sawyer!" when Sawyer makes the connection that he had been talking with Jack's dad at the bar?
Old 02-17-05, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
bleh, this was one of the weaker episodes thus far imho.
Old 02-17-05, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I missed the last part of the show, right where Swayer says to Jack, "What did you say?" Can someone fill me in on anything i missed?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I guess future shows and movies will use the Cubbies instead.
Old 02-17-05, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kicker_of_elves
I missed the last part of the show, right where Swayer says to Jack, "What did you say?" Can someone fill me in on anything i missed?
Sawyer figures out he spent time in that bar with Jack's dad. Jack asks why Sawyer is so curious about his dad. Sawyer pretty much says "no reason" and doesn't reveal he had run into him once.
Old 02-17-05, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not only did he run into Jack's father, but Jack's father opened up to him about how much he loved his son, and he was proud that he turned him in, and that he was a great man. If Sawyer had to tell this to Jack, it would definitely help him have closure with his father. Right now, it seems like he blames himself for his father's death, as getting him canned from his job started him on the road to his death (although we don't know how he died yet). Right now, I am assuming that he probably drank himself to death, but I could be wrong.
Old 02-17-05, 07:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I thought this was a very strong episode, lot of good character development.

Plus, it had The Return of Zombie Dad! Can't beat that.
Old 02-17-05, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster
The plot thickens!
Old 02-17-05, 07:38 AM

Two observations:

"It will come back around" was what one of the whispering voices said to sawyer (before we saw the flashback scene with the guy he shot)

When Sawyer started to suspect that he met Jack's dad, Jack sort of killed that suspicion by saying "He's dead" - so I don't see how Sawyer could still think he met Jack's dad when there is no way to know Jack's dad died right before Jack got on that fateful plane.
Old 02-17-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 869 Likes on 392 Posts
I thought it was a good episode. I like how everyone has ties to one another.

I think we should be grateful, they at least mentioned Ethan, and showed his body, instead of leaving it out there.

But, I still say, this is the island of coincidence.
Old 02-17-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yup, I confused my graying old men in the episode.

Still, a good episode I though although nothing happened. The boar made me laugh though with no one believing him.
Old 02-17-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Our Sawyer shot the guy who he thought was 1970s Sawyer. He thought the guy was 1970s Sawyer because Our Sawyer's Friend had told Our Sawyer that this guy was 1970s Sawyer. Only it turns out that the guy wasn't 1970s Sawyer -- he was a guy who owed Our Sawyer's Friend money. Our Sawyer's Friend had told Our Sawyer that this was 1970s Sawyer so that Our Sawyer would kill the guy (as a penalty for not paying Our Sawyer's Friend the money he owed).
You forgot the part right at the end where the boar comes back and says, "Th-th-th-th-that's all folks!"

I loved the previews for this episode. They showed Jack, and then Sawyer pointing the gun when he was surprised by Locke, so it looked like Sawyer was going to shoot Jack. I so hate that crap.

When Hurley & Charlie were digging Ethan's grave and Hurley was speaking, I was half-expecting Charlie to crack him with the shovel. I don't know why.
Old 02-17-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
I thought it was a good episode. I like how everyone has ties to one another.

But, I still say, this is the island of coincidence.
Yeah that's what crossed my mine a few weeks ago, sort of like the movie Magnolia.

Hope they get back to the mystery of the hatch/door in the ground.
Old 02-17-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Our Sawyer shot the guy who he thought was 1970s Sawyer. He thought the guy was 1970s Sawyer because Our Sawyer's Friend had told Our Sawyer that this guy was 1970s Sawyer. Only it turns out that the guy wasn't 1970s Sawyer -- he was a guy who owed Our Sawyer's Friend money. Our Sawyer's Friend had told Our Sawyer that this was 1970s Sawyer so that Our Sawyer would kill the guy (as a penalty for not paying Our Sawyer's Friend the money he owed).

Clear as mud? Because once you understand that, I can explain my theory about how Management is really the Justin Crowe analogue, and he's tricking Ben into leading him to Hap Scudder.

If this is correct, I bow before you. I had no fucking clue what was going on. 'Lost' is an aptly named show. I'm usually lost trying to follow things.
Old 02-17-05, 10:12 AM

I didn't make the connection until now, but I think we do know for sure that Jack's dad died shortly after his conversation at the bar with Sawyer. One of the smaller mysteries during one of Jack's flashback episodes was how/why his father died, and why he left everything, including his wallet, at the hotel.

Now, I think we can assume since he had forgotten his wallet, and was bumming free booze off Sawyer, that his last drinks were essentially the dagger that did him in--courtesy of Sawyer. So, if nothing else major happened, and his death was a result of his severe inebriation, then one could see how Sawyer "killed" Jack's father.

But, then again, he was a somewhat functional alcoholic so the amount of alcohol might not have been great enough to cause any unusual problems for him. Maybe Sawyer left his wallet at the bar?
Old 02-17-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
When Hurley & Charlie were digging Ethan's grave and Hurley was speaking, I was half-expecting Charlie to crack him with the shovel. I don't know why.
Watching too much 24, ahla behrooze
Old 02-17-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
no offense to anyone, but it was pretty obvious what happened. there may be some confusion, cause it was a bit difficult to hear what they were saying in the rain.

but basically, sawyer starts reading the letter "Dear Mr. Sawyer..." The guy replies with "Who?" Then he proceeds to say "Tell Hibbs I was gonna pay him the money".

so Sawyer was set up by Hibbs to kill this guy, who was not the guy Sawyer was looking for.

I did have to replay the episode to hear exactly what was being whispered in the woods, and it was "It'll come back around" which is what the guy said as he was dying. so I suppose we're to think the boar was this guy tormenting him, or some form of karma.

And i think Sawyer does know that he met Jack's dad. Even if he is now dead. and he knows he can provide closure to Jack at any time. it'll probably be near the end of the series, when they're all tied up at the black rock in front of the french woman's firing squad of polar bears. sawyer will say "JACK! Your father doesn't blame you for what happened!"

i also laughed my ass off at the balloon knot comment.
Old 02-17-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
"Lost," 11.0/17, easily won the 8 p.m. hour for ABC. CBS finished second with "60 Minutes," 6.2/10. "That '70s Show," 5.4/9, and "The Simple Life 3," 5.7/9, put FOX in third, ahead of a repeat of "Medium" on NBC. "Smallville's" 3.0/5 gave The WB fifth place, and UPN trailed with "The Road to Stardom."
Old 02-17-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
The boar was the island "testing" Sawyer. Remember Locke said it is different things to different people. Locke was the one that set Boone on his mission to release his deamon, and he saw that Sawyer was doing the same, with the boar instead of the T-Rex. The whispering is part of this, IMO, as only 2 people have heard them.
Old 02-17-05, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
How many of us were screaming at the TV, "Spill it, Sawyer!" when Sawyer makes the connection that he had been talking with Jack's dad at the bar?
Yep, definitely did. My thought after it was over was "disappointing ending but not surprising". I don't think Sawyer necessarily thinks he "has something" on or over Jack, he's just not used to sharing like that. Hopefully sometime in the future it'll happen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.