TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Arrested Development -- "Ready Aim Marry Me" -- 02.13.2005

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by ClarkKentKY
Bravo.

I was going to quote the same exact line. Brilliant.
Old 02-17-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
What's wrong with Fox? they have great shows like Family Guy and Arrested Development and then can't market them for shit. And yet shows like Who Wants to Screw My Mom and whatnot are in the primetime slots. This shit pisses me off!
Nothing's wrong with Fox. Personally, i think they've done a solid job marketing Arrested Development this season, and Sunday nights have always been Fox's premium slot ever since The Simpsons moved there. While a move to another night might help a bit, i simply believe the audience isn't going to be there for this show. I understand the complaints during the show's first season. However this year the show has been on a stable time slot, coming off award wins and nominations, and is drawing less viewers then the previous year. I wish AD drew 15 million every week, but for one reason or another it's not happening i just can't put all the blame on Fox.
Old 02-17-05, 02:32 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but after last week's episode, didn't they say that this week (2/20) would feature a whole hour of Arrested Development? So they've gone from airing one episode a week, to announcing the airing of two episodes, to pulling the show completely?
Old 02-17-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm getting really sad about this. The more i think about it the more i know that they'll silently kill it this summer. One would hope for a 13 episode season, or a move to FX... but Fox doesn't strike me as that smart.

"Who's gonna watch us when you can watch a hot shirtless guy build a skate ramp for a kid with no bones." -Jason Bateman on SNL
Old 02-17-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ClarkKentKY
"Who's gonna watch us when you can watch a hot shirtless guy build a skate ramp for a kid with no bones." -Jason Bateman on SNL
I tivo'd that SNL but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Well said, Fumanstan. I think they could have used a spot or two during the Super Bowl, though. They could have easily used this to fill that replacement spot instead of Simpsons. They were reaching the largest audience of the year and neglected to take advantage of it. Or they could have done some kind of tie in.
Old 02-19-05, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In Arrested Development's timeslot this week: The episode of The Simpsons where bart finds playdude magazines with the pictures cut out, and converts his treehouse into a swingers lounge.

They've shown this episode twice already in the past 3 months. This will be the third time.

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 02-19-05 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-19-05, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, not that complete trust is put into the heads at fox, but there's always this statement

Subject: RE: Arrested Development From: “Gail Berman” Date: Thu, February 10, 2005 2:30 pm To: [redacted]

Dear Arrested Development Fans:

Thank you for your e-mail and your passionate support of Arrested Development. While the show has finished production for its second season, contrary to the rumors you may have heard or read on the internet, it is NOT cancelled.

We at FOX love Arrested Development and we look forward to having the Bluth family back on FOX in the future - hopefully for many years. You can help make the show a bigger success by getting as many people as possible to start watching the show this Sunday and every Sunday at 8:30 p.m. ET/PT.

Sincerely,

Fox Broadcasting Company
now that the other thread is.. gone.
Old 02-19-05, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yes, and why do I think we'll be filing it next to this statement:

re: Karen Sisco

We love this show, but it has become increasingly obvious that it's not working on Wednesday nights. Rather than give up, we're going to complete production on the remaining episodes, and aggressively relaunch the series this March in a new time period. We're hopeful that this course of action will result in the show becoming as popular with viewers as it is with critics and ABC executives.

Susan Lyne
ABC President
Old 02-19-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
"We at FOX love Arrested Development and we look forward to having the Bluth family back on FOX in the future" ... in the future sounds vague to me
Old 02-21-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Why does AD get this shabby treatment, yet the worse comedy to date, The Pitts, bot more promos and special time slots, up until the second it was cancelled?

What do the numbers look like for last nights repeat Simpsons versus last weeks New AD?
Old 02-21-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
At least Fox is giving us "Life on a Stick." That looks like a worthy replacement for Arrested Development!
Old 02-21-05, 10:52 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Move it to F/X!
Old 02-21-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Cusm
Why does AD get this shabby treatment, yet the worse comedy to date, The Pitts, bot more promos and special time slots, up until the second it was cancelled?

What do the numbers look like for last nights repeat Simpsons versus last weeks New AD?

I don't see where folks are coming up with the idea that fox hasn't tried to push AD. They did very heavy promo slamming the whole time it was moved to the 8:30 slot and after the awards shows it got a ton of attention. The problem is that it's, for some reason, not getting the ratings. It's just to smart of a comedy that the folks who count and have the nelson ratings boxes aren't watching for some reason.
Old 02-21-05, 02:01 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
The problem is that it's, for some reason, not getting the ratings. It's just to smart of a comedy that the folks who count and have the nelson ratings boxes aren't watching for some reason.
AD has, what I call, Sports Night syndrome.
Old 02-21-05, 02:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If Fox is depending on American Dad to bolster ratings in that time spot, boy will they be disappointed. The reason it had such a boost after the Super Bowl was because people love Family Guy and wanted to see the new show by the creators. However, everyone I've talked to was severely disappointed in it. I won't even bother watching any more episodes.
Old 02-21-05, 05:26 PM

Was Arrested Developement on last night? Did they move the show to a different time because I put Fox on at 8pm PST and had it running in the background till after 9 and I didn't see it.
Old 02-21-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
no new show for a couple weeks, then we get an hour-long episode.
Old 02-22-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I don't see where folks are coming up with the idea that fox hasn't tried to push AD. They did very heavy promo slamming the whole time it was moved to the 8:30 slot and after the awards shows it got a ton of attention. The problem is that it's, for some reason, not getting the ratings. It's just to smart of a comedy that the folks who count and have the nelson ratings boxes aren't watching for some reason.

But the only started promoting this into the second season, this show is a little hard to get into from half way through the second season. Last season they had little promo, however shit like the Pitts got promos every 30 seconds a month before it aired til the ending of the last show(I thought they were going to change their name to Pitts from Fox for a while), this is what my complaint is concerned about. It seems Fox is doing too little too late, and blaming the public for not watching a show mid run in it's second season.
Old 02-22-05, 03:18 PM

What's really irritating is that since December, Fox has not shown it consistently. You have to wait two or three weeks between episodes. How can you expect to get ratings when you don't commit yourself to showing it every week that you can. Obviously, it won't be shown during Super Bowl weekend. But last weekend was a joke. Showing a Simpson rerun in its timeslot for no reason? Come on!
Let the show air for four or five weeks straight and let it get a little momentum, then see what the ratings are like.
Old 02-23-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Look at Blind Justice. That show doesn't even air for another two weeks and I already feel like it has been on for a year b/c of all the damn promos. That is the way to do it. ABC is doing it right. Fox should take note.

Did anyone catch the blurb in next weeks TVGuide? The ultimate TV comedy crossover, Scrubs and Arrested Development. Zach Braff is going to appear on AD, and Jason Bateman on Scrubs.
Old 02-23-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I will watch the shit out of those two episodes.
Old 02-23-05, 01:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Did anyone catch the blurb in next weeks TVGuide? The ultimate TV comedy crossover, Scrubs and Arrested Development. Zach Braff is going to appear on AD, and Jason Bateman on Scrubs.
As their respective characters?
Old 02-23-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't think so. So it wouldn't technically be a 'cross-over' per se. It didn't say either way, but the way it read(using the actors real names vs. character) leans toward guest spots. You know how all writers for these rags try to be catchy and clever. If it were characters I would have expected to see something like "J.D. treats Bluth family," or something to the like.

Still very cool though.

It said the AD episode has already been filmed and is scheduled for April. They are still working out the details for the Scrubs episode.
Old 02-23-05, 02:00 PM

And that would be why I would love to see these two comedies paired up.
Old 02-23-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Holy crap, that owns! I will make sure I save both of those episodes for rewatching, many, many times.