Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Commercials that scared you as a child (or still do)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Commercials that scared you as a child (or still do)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The PSA "Help Keep America Beautiful" also unnerved me as a kid. That ominous voiceover, showing garbage callously left behind, followed by the close-up of the American Indian crying. He was really scary looking. Even Smokey the Bear didn't make feel too comfortable since at the time, our house was next to a small forest.
Old 01-11-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eplicon
The PSA "Help Keep America Beautiful" also unnerved me as a kid. That ominous voiceover, showing garbage callously left behind, followed by the close-up of the Italian crying. He was really scary looking. Even Smokey the Bear didn't make feel too comfortable since at the time, our house was next to a small forest.
Fixed.

Iron Eyes Cody
Old 01-11-05, 06:11 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About two years ago, there was a commercial on NY1, a local channel, that had a semi-black screen and a door with smoke coming from the bottom of the door. A man with a deep voice kept saying, "Close the door." I don't remember whatelse was said, but I remember, "Close the door!"

Also, I saw online commercial (you probably know this one) where the girl is picking the flower and the bomb is going off at the same time. That freaked me out for weeks.

One more: I saw (also online) a commercial for a smoke alarms and the alarm is going off and all you see is the smoke alarm and the man says to his family, "What's that? Oh my Goodness, fire! It's a fire!" And then you hear people running out of the house, all while the smoke alarm is going off. I think the realism of the commercial scared me.
Old 01-11-05, 06:13 PM
Cool New Member

BTW, the first commercial was to prevent fires. It was something about if you close the door, you could prevent a fire... *shrugs*
Old 01-11-05, 06:21 PM
Cool New Member

>> Those current DirecTV ads where the guys die while watching TV and become ghosts is kind of disturbing for a commercial.

Oh! That reminds me of another one that scared me... I forgot what it was for, I think drunk driving. It's a mother calling to her child who's walking for the first time and she's like, "Yeah! Come on! A little more...!" It was cute, and there's an old man that's in front of the woman and the baby walks through him and the man gets really sad and it says something like, "most deaths are caused by drunk driving". It actually made me depressed, more than scared...
Old 01-11-05, 06:22 PM
Cool New Member

>I'm not sure of the commercial but I think it is called the El Chupacabra.
>
>http://www.elchupacabra.com/

Aye, Papi! What is that??
Old 01-11-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatlander
Wow this is great therapy. Another one as a child was the commercial for the movie "Magic" where they have the puppet from the move saying a poem and at the end he goes "magic is fun, we're all dead" and his eyes roll up in his head and his eyes closed. Scared the crap out of me then and would probably frak me out if I saw it again today..........what do you mean my times up, I just got here : )
Heh, I saw Magic on VHS today at a pawn shop for $1, and I remembered this thread and bought it.
Old 01-11-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Back in the Day(Mid to late 70's):

Alien ad...the one with the egg breaking over the apple pie looking landscape.

Good one. And the movie actually lived up.
Old 01-12-05, 04:45 PM

The commercial for It's Alive really scared me when I was a kid.

Today, after watching a 10 PM show on NBC if I don't change the channel quickly enough I have to hear the lead in to the theme from the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Just that one first bass note makes me want to claw my brain out through my ears. I dunno, I'm just weird I guess.

Last edited by maiana; 01-12-05 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-12-05, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by grade4
Also, I saw online commercial (you probably know this one) where the girl is picking the flower and the bomb is going off at the same time. That freaked me out for weeks.
The infamous ad campaign against Barry Goldwater (1964). I've heard about it for many years but I didn't actually see it until recently, and boy, what a scary image that must have been back then if it looks just as creepy now.
Old 01-12-05, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by maiana
Today, after watching a 10 PM show on NBC if I don't change the channel quickly enough I have to hear the lead in to the theme from the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Just that one first bass note makes me want to claw my brain out through my ears. I dunno, I'm just weird I guess.
You mean the one right after the 3-bar NBC tune when the logos for L&O and/or Crossing Jordan or any of those shows are running?? LOL! The NBC tune is even more annoying to me!
Old 01-12-05, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
NOT commericals, but...There was this intro back in the day for WPIX's "brand" of horror flicks they'd show [it was something like "Chiller Theatre" or something], they'd preface each movie with a pond/lake that had a GIANT HAND pop out of it [similar to the ending of Carrie].

That would scare the FUCK outta me.
YES, yes!! That and Creature Feature on Channel 5 in New York were both scary!
Old 01-12-05, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Currently? Hmm...any T-Mobile commercial with Paris trying to shove her "trademark" phrase "That's Hot".
LMAO!! Paris should be burning--To a crisp!
Old 01-13-05, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to run out of the room whenever the theme music to 'Unsolved Mysteries' would start. My dad LOVED this show, and it freaked the HELL out of me! Today, I can watch reruns, and they are somewhat interesting, but then when it was new, forget it.

And for some reason that ominous "Da da DUM! da da DUM!" HBO music they always played before a movie.

And there was a PSA that played 'What A Wonderful World' and showed the earth, and then a hand reached out and crumpled up the earth, and the voice over said, "If you're not recycling, you're throwing it all away."

I think there was another PSA that used Madonna's 'Material Girl', that bothered me too.

There's probably many more but I've blocked them from memory.
Old 01-13-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Heh, I saw Magic on VHS today at a pawn shop for $1, and I remembered this thread and bought it.

This is a great underrated movie that's comparable to "Psycho" and long overdue for DVD. Everyone knows Anthony Hopkins is scary in "Silence of the Lambs," but it's a shame very few people know of this role. I hope if it ever does get released I'll be able to see this trailer everyone keeps mentioning!
Old 01-13-05, 10:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision
... I hope if it ever does get released I'll be able to see this trailer everyone keeps mentioning!
This and the TV spot for "It's Alive"
Old 01-13-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Kevin Scott, Drug commercial(the one where he goes to school by going through the backyards and over fences)

Made me never want to walk home....
Old 01-13-05, 11:24 AM

Found this commercial recently on the IMDB and it freaked me out. I'm still frightened of it. You can only truly appeciate it if you have audio.

This is a car advertisement from somewhere. When they finished filming the ad, the people who made it noticed something moving along the side of the car, like a ghostly white mist, they also heard weird noises. The ad was never put on TV because the unexplained ghostly phenomenon frightened the production team out of their wits. Watch it and about halfway look and you will see the white mist crossing in front of the car then following it along the road and you will hear the weird noises. . . spooky!

Car Commercial
Old 01-13-05, 11:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm guessing that's another "hilarious" scream and jump movie.
Old 01-13-05, 11:31 AM

Ugh, TV spot for "It's Alive" traumatized me as a child. I still remember my brother leaving me for dead in front of the TV as he rushed out of the room with his ears covered. I didn't have a clue what was going on, but as soon as I recognized the commercial, I was paralyzed with fear and started screming for my mother...who couldn't hear me over the mixer she was running in the kitchen. Man, it's a wonder I haven't slain them all in a Michael Myers moment after all that.
Old 01-13-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate the toothpaste commercials that talk about that "crimson" in the sink. They seem to come on around dinner time.
Old 01-13-05, 12:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
Also not a commercial, but I was always scared when David (Bruce) Banner turned into the Hulk. I always ran out of the room and waited until he stopped changing.
First thing I thought of as well. I couldn't watch that show I was so scared.

(Still am to this day... )
Old 01-13-05, 12:51 PM

Bingo Groucho. Those scream and jump things get me every time. I first saw this one when I was online in my pitch black room around midnight. I jumped out of my seat.
Old 01-13-05, 01:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BamaDan
Ugh, TV spot for "It's Alive" traumatized me as a child. I still remember my brother leaving me for dead in front of the TV as he rushed out of the room with his ears covered. I didn't have a clue what was going on, but as soon as I recognized the commercial, I was paralyzed with fear and started screming for my mother...who couldn't hear me over the mixer she was running in the kitchen. Man, it's a wonder I haven't slain them all in a Michael Myers moment after all that.
it's a brilliant TV spot because one - it's very nightmarish (it's just like the one-sheet for the film) all you see is the wicker basket, the camera keeps on getting closer and closer as an ominous narrator states things like "the babysitter wouldn't sit for it, the doctor's were scared, etc... ), and then the viewer sees the creature's claw hanging over the edge. The camera starts to tilt toward the opening of the basket, only to end in a bloodcurdling scream of the baby monster - fade to black and film title. It's a shame that Warner's couldn't find this to include on the special DVD edition of the film.
Old 01-13-05, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by MGBGT
You mean the one right after the 3-bar NBC tune when the logos for L&O and/or Crossing Jordan or any of those shows are running?? LOL! The NBC tune is even more annoying to me!
That's the one! Makes. Me. CRAZY!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.