Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Commercials that scared you as a child (or still do)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Commercials that scared you as a child (or still do)

Old 03-31-16, 06:42 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Commercials that scared you as a child (or still do)

Sorry to bump this two year old thread, but I have something to share.
It wasn't a commercial, but it still scared me.

There was this moment from a SpongeBob episode called "Karate Choppers" where Sandy is going to pour a drop of hot sauce on SpongeBob's tongue, and the drop gets a creepy-looking human face and it laughs evilly and speaks. Damn I hated that. I'd always run out of the room when that episode came on. Now that moment is one of my favorite SpongeBob scenes
Old 04-01-16, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

This Casper cartoon seriously disturbed me- it's where the friendly ghost turns bad for a bit:

Remember seeing this and turning the channel because I couldn't take any more of it!

And since the YouTube linking has been messed up I have to share this PSA again that scared the crap out of me:
Old 04-01-16, 02:37 PM
Cool New Member

Those smoking ads that showed Terrie Hall, a woman who died from smoking at 53, kinda freaked me out. She sounded like ET with asthma.

And I'm pretty sure everyone has seen the Japanese McDonalds ads with Ronald doing "RAN RAN RUU" with a bunch of kids. Plenty of dictatorship jokes have been made about those.
Old 04-01-16, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

The anti-smoking ads are SUPPOSED to scare you- don't smoke and it won't happen to you! I think the one where the trees all disappear was just a little bit exaggerated though.
Old 07-09-16, 07:17 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The anti-smoking ads are SUPPOSED to scare you- don't smoke and it won't happen to you! I think the one where the trees all disappear was just a little bit exaggerated though.
Yeah lol
Old 07-22-16, 08:37 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Ronnie1776
" I just wait for a child to grab my handle and .....Mwah hAHhhahahahh !!!!!!!!"
Anyone recall ?
Oh boy I know this I know this...! The PSA about hot stoves and pots, right? That evil one reminds me of Volcano Sauce Drop, about a decade or two before!
Originally Posted by Matty-O
Anti-drug ad from the early 90's. This one had a drug dealer talking directly to the camera walking in and out of the shadows. At the end of the commerical he steps into the light and he's a big snake-man-scare the shit out of unsuspecting viewer-thing. I only saw it once(and that was during Beverly Hills 90210.....my girlfriend was watching it.....I wouldn't be watching it you see........really), but that was more than enough.
I know that because of JonTron. "You look like a SNAKE!"

I used to watch a lot of Toonami with my brother on Saturdays when I was 3 (I was only interested in the TOM bumpers, Zatch Bell, and Pokemon) and I saw some messed-up ads between shows and TOM bumpers. Like that DirectTV one where the guys die watching TV and become ghosts, which I know was mentioned earlier. And a weird PSA about body electricity which I later found out was from Canada. Anyone remember that?
Old 07-24-16, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The anti-smoking ads are SUPPOSED to scare you- don't smoke and it won't happen to you!
Except the Yul Brynner one from the 80s. Brynner was known to be one of the worst (best?) chain-smokers in Hollywood, and it wasn't unheard of for him to go through 6 packs a day. So when I saw his famous anti-smoking commercial I couldn't help but think: "well, yeah... the way you smoke, no shit you got cancer! If I ate chocolate chip cookies the way you smoke, I'd die of diabetes at 28". But maybe that was just me.
Old 07-24-16, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

When I was a kid there was one spooky commercial that freaked me out. It must have been from a church or some other religious organization.

There was a creepy voice that claimed sternly "The Antichrist is among us," against a photonegative image of Jesus. I had no idea what the Antichrist was, but it scared the crap out of me. I was young enough to believe everything that an adult told me, and I thought there was some kind of monster out in the world.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 07-24-16 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-24-16, 05:58 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Except the Yul Brynner one from the 80s. Brynner was known to be one of the worst (best?) chain-smokers in Hollywood, and it wasn't unheard of for him to go through 6 packs a day. So when I saw his famous anti-smoking commercial I couldn't help but think: "well, yeah... the way you smoke, no shit you got cancer! If I ate chocolate chip cookies the way you smoke, I'd die of diabetes at 28". But maybe that was just me.
Okay, that was hilarious.

The FDA campaign The Real Cost sponsored the Toonami event "The Intruder II", so now every time I see one of their PSAs, I think of that event. I can't help but think "Don't smoke or TOM's arm will be rendered useless... okay give me a cigarette! I wanna hear TOM yell "GYARGH!" and moan in pain again as he gets red cum on his arm!" TMI, I guess?
Old 01-15-17, 09:00 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by hardcore
Not to threadjack this into "things you saw on TV that scared you as a kid that probably shouldn't have", but I ran out the room the first time I saw the land shark on SNL...
And I ran out of the room when I saw Gilda Radner, Jane Curtin, and Laraine Newman sing their Chevy Chase song.
Okay, it didn't scare me, it's an in-joke that none of you will probably get.
EDIT: The in-joke being I like the Sonic parody of it I wrote better than the original even though the original interested my 7 year old self enough to write the parody

Last edited by SumirekoUsami; 06-09-18 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-17-17, 08:49 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I was scared to death of Rocky Dennis as a kid. My mother was watching this old show called PM Magazine when the movie was in theaters and they were showing pictures of the actual kid. It freaked me the F out. By time Mask started airing on TV, it was around 1988 and I was around 12. Was watching some late night TV with my mom one night and BOOM! Rockys face is on the screen "Mask, Friday night @ 9pm". Needless to say, I didnt sleep that night and closed my eyes every time commercials ran on that channel for a month. When I was around 17-18 I decided to overcome my fear and rent it.
Funny enough, I just looked up that film.
...I don't think I had sleep on my plans for tonight, let me check...
Old 01-18-17, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

There's a new commercial with Kathy Bates that is creepy with dead kid faces appearing in windows and whatnot. I don't know what it's for because I usually change the channel.