The New Screensavers sucks

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The New Screensavers sucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-04, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the show brought me here from their website--I started reading Kim after she wrote for Salon and now read her at the La Weekly and other publications. I'm glad I came here (usually read DVD Journal).

As for Kim not smiling enough. Thank God. Last thing I want to see on TV is some perky Mary Hart clone talking about movies without any base knowledge. Thankfully someone in TV did something different by actually choosing a knowledgable chick on the air. It's like they found Margot Tenenbaum.
Old 12-09-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watched the clip, and I'm sorry to say that IMO the segment was very, very weak. I would have bet money that the show had simply gone out and found a hot chick and given her a few nuggets of info and stuck her in front of the camera with the DVDTalk.com tag under her name. I came back here and was surprised to see that Kim is an actual reviewer. By reading a few of her reviews, it's obvious Kim is very intelligent and educated about film, but it certainly didn't come across on this appearance. Granted, it was (presumably) her first gig, so I'll allow for the fact that she may have been nervous and unfamiliar and all that stuff. The other host certainly didn't help any.

Remember Kim, just imagine the audience is in their underwear. Oh wait, maybe that's too close to the truth.
Old 12-09-04, 06:00 PM

I wrote in and told them how "good" the show has changed since G4 and TechTV have merged, or is it G4 killed all the TechTV shows....the response, thanks for your comment.
Old 12-09-04, 06:13 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I want to be on TV.
Old 12-09-04, 06:53 PM

>I would have bet money that the show had simply gone out and found a hot chick >and given her a few nuggets of info and stuck her in front of the camera with the >DVDTalk.com tag under her name. I came back here and was surprised to see that >Kim is an actual reviewer. By reading a few of her reviews, it's obvious Kim is very >intelligent and educated about film, but it certainly didn't come across on this >appearance.

Have to disagree. I think people are being harder on her because she's hot. And you don't find a hot chick on the street and expect her to say Tsuai Hark properly. Or bring up David Thomson. I saw Roger Ebert on The Tonight Show and he said nothing very relevant--he certainly didn't bring up The French Connection or Once Upon a Time in China.
Old 12-09-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Addison
I saw Roger Ebert on The Tonight Show and he said nothing very relevant--he certainly didn't bring up The French Connection or Once Upon a Time in China.
...or Bullitt.
Old 12-10-04, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have to disagree. I think people are being harder on her because she's hot. And you don't find a hot chick on the street and expect her to say Tsuai Hark properly. Or bring up David Thomson. I saw Roger Ebert on The Tonight Show and he said nothing very relevant--he certainly didn't bring up The French Connection or Once Upon a Time in China.
Yeah, because if she were a guy, I would have said that was the best DVD segment of all time.

Please. I saw the clip, I wasn't judging her on her looks, good or bad. The fact that she can rattle off a couple of classic film references is all well and good, but there simply wasn't the personality, enthusiasm and coherent communication of succinct information which I gage these types of things by. The fact that she cites Wild At Heart as one of her favorite films makes her tops in my book, but the segment wasn't enough to get me to endure the crapfest that SS has become. Maybe it's because I'm not 12 years old.

I'd be curious to hear how the producers coached her on her appearance - say, did they ask her to "dumb it down" or tell her they were shooting for the 14 year-old boy demo?
Old 12-10-04, 03:22 AM

I'm pretty sure the thing's done live.
Also, she has brief time to get through the stuff. But hey, if you want TV-personality then you will get a dumber person. Fake too.
When I lived in Portland Kim had her own weekend radio show that was really smart and subversive. I remember her doing an entire radio show on film noir and another where she interviewed Alex Cox in studio for an hour. She played all the music from Repo Man for her breaks and they ended up talking about punk music etc...It was hilarious and fascinating. She did another where she interviewed Jim Goad from prison.

I am sure TV producer's told her to tone stuff down.
Old 12-10-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
They can read their own messageboards for that.
No they can't. Apparently negative posters are being banned.
Old 01-11-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just flipped to this, and it looks like Sarah is co-hosting with Chi-Lan in the nook. When did they make this change, and is it permanent? I prefer Sarah.
Old 01-11-05, 06:50 PM

I also like the change. I dont think Chi-Lan can co-host a show. Sarah seems much better in the larger role. What happend to her boyfriend the Dark Tipper? I still dont like the other guy as co-host though.
Old 01-11-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kevin Rose (the boyfriend) is still there, he just does segments, like Dark Tips. He was reporting from the Apple convention on tonight's episode via phone.
Old 01-12-05, 02:18 AM

Kim Morgan (a reviewer on this site) was on today. shes prety damn hot.
Old 01-12-05, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For once, this show had a good change with their hosts. Hopefully, it's not temporary.
Old 01-12-05, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any change of hosts is a lost cause for this show. I just happened to notice my Tivo recorded yesterdays episode as a suggestion, so decided to take a look. Every single second was devoted to gaming as far as I could tell from fast forwarding. How do they even manage to fill five hours a week with gaming news/information and not repeat themselves after a while? I hope Monday's episode was just an oddity, but I know better.

I mean for the love of Pete, the entire network's schedule is devoted to gaming. Don't they already have 2-3 gaming news shows? What was the point of utterly destroying the tech aspect of TSS? Fine, turn it into a gaming show. At least have it stand apart and focus on PC gaming. The last thing the world needed was anything else devoted to consoles. Why do I even waste my breath... I gave up on the show months ago the second Chuckles the Clown replaced Pat.

If Monday's show was any indication, between the segment with the poker player and that skateboard thing, a fair portion of the show doesn't even have anything to do with something involving console/PCs. I shed a tear when I think of how TechTV got bought out and raped to form this travesty.

Here's hoping the network goes under before much longer so some other company might try again with a technology network like what ZDTV/TechTV used to be.
Old 01-12-05, 09:06 AM

From Dan Huard, according to an anonymous source "...The new hosts are having an extremely hard time answering calls on-air. In fact, they have banned Chi-Lan from taking live phone calls and emails altogether unless it’s something she one hundred percent knows. Look back at the last five to six episodes, and you will notice she hasn't answered any questions.”

The article isn't on his site anymore, but here is the google cache: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

Last edited by fleegs; 01-12-05 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-12-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fleegs
The new hosts are having an extremely hard time answering calls on-air.
Well, no shit. The tech savvy people were either fired, quit, or moved into minor roles on the show. This should come as no surprise to the G4TechTV honchos.

Oh wait, that is making a big assumption that the G4TechTV honchos aren't a bunch of fuckwads.
Old 01-12-05, 12:14 PM

RIP TechTV

Well, it looks like TechTV has finally been put out of its misery...

The bad news...

Now it's back to just being known as G4. Not only that, but the two new shows don't look to improve on their current quality of programming, either. "Girls Gone Wired" sounds especially bad.
Old 01-12-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am so happy that I still have Leo and Call For Help in Canada. I haven't missed an episode yet.
Old 01-12-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by xVladx
Well, it looks like TechTV has finally been put out of its misery...

The bad news...

Now it's back to just being known as G4. Not only that, but the two new shows don't look to improve on their current quality of programming, either. "Girls Gone Wired" sounds especially bad.
What a shock.

Still sad, though.
Old 01-12-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did anyone see whogirl or someone from dvdtalk on last night? I was flipping through and heard dvdtalk mentioned and saw a hottie with a lot of eye make-up.
Old 01-12-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
Did anyone see whogirl or someone from dvdtalk on last night? I was flipping through and heard dvdtalk mentioned and saw a hottie with a lot of eye make-up.
That was Kim Morgan: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/bio.p...reviewID=13877

She's been doing weekly segments on the new releases for several Tuesdays now. It should be a weekly feature, in case anybody wants to check it out.
Old 01-12-05, 03:36 PM

thank you comcast for killing a great TECH channel with your 24 hour gaming garbage
Old 01-20-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
I saw Roger Ebert on The Tonight Show and he said nothing very relevant--he certainly didn't bring up The French Connection or Once Upon a Time in China.
Originally Posted by nazz
...or Bullitt.
Or Battle Royale
Old 01-20-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, she brings up some good films.

On the other hand, when RotK:EE came out, she said it was one of the best book to film translations ever, (which I think implies she has read the books, otherwise, who is she to make such a judgment?), then she said she liked having more battle scenes with Aragon (when it should be Aragorn, which tells me she didn't read the book, or she'd have gotten the name right; I'm not sure how you even see the movies and get the name wrong)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.