Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The New Screensavers sucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
I would definately have to disagree with that. Of the two, I would say I'm more into gaming but the quality of "gaming" television on G4 is just awful. I won't even take into account TSS which is more of a hybrid show so just looking at the gaming-centric shows we have:

Cheat: Pretty pointless not to mention dry.
Filter: Diane Mizota is a good enough reason to tune in, but it's another fluff show. It isn't total garbage as it brings back some memories, but they don't say anything I didn't already know. Pretty much just a time filler show.
Icons: The best show G4 has as it's the only one that goes indepth about anything.
X-Play: Ok show but they just try too hard to be funny. Also Adam is a total clown now and his "bits" are hard to watch. I know there are some massive Morgan lusters here, but this show has taken a giant step down.
G4tv.com: Another fluff show. I also get the impression that the 2 girls on the show don't have a clue.
Cinematech: If you like this kind of thing it's great. I don't but I won't hate on it.
Judgement Day: The one guy gives decent reviews, but Tommy Tellorico<sp> really brings the quality of this show down.

I think the big difference in tech tv shows vs. G4 shows is that G4 is out to create personalities and have that MTV feel to their network. Fancy graphics, cute "cue card reading" girls, and fluff/light programming are a staple of the network barring a few. The channel is after casual gamers and a younger audience which is fine. Tech TV on the other hand wasn't really about flash. They didn't dumb down their content and they embraced the "hard core" tech enthusiast and geek crowd. It was a niche channel that embraced it's niche, while G4 is a niche channel thats trying to be bigger and have a more mass appeal. That's why I liked Tech TV so much.

The flagship show on TechTV was TSS. They had scientists, astronauts, program reviews and demonstrations, hack segments, overclocking segments, gaming segments when appropriate, computer programmers as guests, photoshop experts...etc. The show was loaded. I wasn't into all of that stuff, but I just liked a show that was trying to educate while entertain, and they presented all of these things in such a way that it was interesting at least to me.

The flagship show on G4 now is TSS. They have "IT CAAAAAAAAAAME FROM EBAY!". Ok, so they have some useful stuff on there too, and Kevin P's game suggestions are good, but the show has definately lost something.

I think what pains me about G4 in general is that they aren't living up to what the channel could be. I look at how Tech TV covered E3 (carrying live press conferences, interviews with game studios and such) and how G4 covered E3 (they talked/stalked booth babes, had a scavenger hunt, and maybe about 2 hours dedicated to the whole show on a channel DEDICATED TO GAMES!!) to see which channel did things better.
Very well said. The part in bold is on the nose. Whether you were interested in a topic or not, they made it interesting.
Old 03-10-05, 11:14 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really love this show (although I do miss Kim AND Chi-lan), but then I did not ever watch the show before DVDTalk made me aware of it (via the notification on the home page). I became instantly hooked being a media geekette as it has what appeared to me as 4 kindred spirits in the hosts, as well as the co-hosts (roving reporters and the like). Since I now watch the show religiously, it seems to me that this show covers anything and everything that appeals to me so I suppose I must be the type of person some of the posters in this thread have unkind thoughts of!

The show seems to cover it all... websites, new hardware & software, new tech of varied types, movies & movie effects (and whoever said Sarah just wants to trash movies is wrong as there are numerous new films and DVDs she has said she likes), anime & animation, TV Shows, DVDs, music, comic books, publishers, toys, and all the various creators involved with these artistic products...oh yes, and of course...games (which I have very limited interest in). The SCI-FI CHANNEL used to have a few magazine shows they did like this show around 7 or 8 years ago and this fills the void in my life I've had since those shows were cancelled. I hope the same thing doesn't happen here!
Old 03-25-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, here is the new intro for "Attack of the Show". Any vestiges of the original Screen Savers will be gone soon.

http://www.melindasworldthemovie.com...eShowIntro.wmv

What the hell does "attack of the show" mean, anyway?
Old 03-25-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alvis
What the hell does "attack of the show" mean, anyway?
I had the same question, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 03-25-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I fucking hate what they did to the show, but I do tune in to watch that blonde chick. She's one of the few blondes I'm attracted to. I wonder if she's a natural blonde, if the drapes match the carpeting.

Last edited by Michael Ballack; 03-25-05 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-25-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What is Attack Of The Show? Is it the same as the Screensavers, sans Chi Lan?

http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/index.html
Old 03-25-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieking
What is Attack Of The Show? Is it the same as the Screensavers, sans Chi Lan?

http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/index.html
Screensavers has been sans Chi Lan for months now, that can't be the reason. I think the real reason for the name change is: they know the current version is nothing like what the show was meant to be and they're changing the name (and maybe even some of the focus) to reflect the overall G4 scope.
Old 03-25-05, 10:14 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hehe, you should all now be happy that they're not tarnishing The Screen Savers' "good name". Of course, they had Jhonen Vasquez on the last week of TSS. That alone makes the latest version of TSS better than any other version.
Old 03-25-05, 11:21 AM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts
Well at least they still have a moran running some segments.
Old 03-25-05, 11:40 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
The flagship show on TechTV was TSS. They had scientists, astronauts, program reviews and demonstrations, hack segments, overclocking segments, gaming segments when appropriate, computer programmers as guests, photoshop experts...etc. The show was loaded. I wasn't into all of that stuff, but I just liked a show that was trying to educate while entertain, and they presented all of these things in such a way that it was interesting at least to me.
They also had Kate...and Patrick...and of course, Leo. Oh how I miss Leo
Old 03-25-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Glad to see the name change, finally.
Old 03-25-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BizRodian
Glad to see the name change, finally.

huh?
Old 03-25-05, 05:14 PM

I dont get the new name either, but at least now it will have a new start and maybe people can stop compairing the shows with the different hosts.
Old 03-25-05, 07:24 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts
I tried watching this the other day when they were talking about SATA Raid set-ups and all that seemed to be going was the one quiet guy was poking the other guy trying to explain it seeing if he could piss him off.

I miss the old block of shows like the original Screensaver, Fresh Gear, X-Play (please don't screw it up), and Call For Help.
Old 03-25-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As someone who had watched TSS every single night since DirecTV picked up ZDTV on August 1, 1998 (I still remember waiting impatiently for the channel to go live on DirecTV), called in a few times, won a Netcam from Netcam Week I and watched exactly five minutes of the "new" show when it went to G4 last September...

It's about time they buried this once-proud show. Having the retards at Comcast continue to prop up the corpse of the once great show featuring Kate & Leo & Pat, even not watching it, it still pissed me off. At least this way ZDTV is finally dead and buried, and whatever G4 does to it won't diminish the TSS name anymore.

Now if only I could find a few episodes of the classic Kate & Leo mayhem to watch when I felt nostalgic for 24-hour Windows 98 launch parties, exciting PIII madness and the like, I'd be happy.

And to add to Goldbergs list, I miss Silicon Spin and Internet Tonight. Aside from TSS, those were probably the best shows to come out of ZDTV. Scott Harriot and Mikaela Perrara (Sorry, it's been seven years. The correct spelling eludes me.) were hillarious together.

Last edited by coladar; 03-25-05 at 08:39 PM.