Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost 10/06/04

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by B.A.
I don't think he is evil. I do think that everyone has a lot to learn from him.
but the music, the EVIL MUSIC!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-04, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by Meatpants
"The island manifests everyone's fears"

is the new

"Who sings the theme song on Rescue Me?"

Groannnnnnnn
I can't believe there was actually an argument over that. Too bad I missed that thread.

Anyways, I too think it was an elephant that was knocking down the trees. I think this is probably some kind of Bermuda Triangle type of island. The polar bear, possible elephant, and who knows what else, were probably from a previous plane that crashed there. I like the idea that planes have crahed on the island before and no one has left. It advances the producers 'it's about the characters' declaration about the show. Still though, I'm a little dissapointed there probably won't be any big ass monster that eats everybody. I was looking forward to the running and the screaming.
Old 10-07-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't seen people look for so many hidden meanings in a show since Carnivale.

So apparently I'm the only one that's pissed off about not knowing what Kate did? I wanted Jack to start kicking the marshall in the ribs when he wouldn't just answer the simple damn question. What the hell did she do? "She's dangerous, she's dangerous."

And then idiot Jack gets a second chance to find out and he says, "I don't wanna know." You idiot! I hope she turns out to be evil and kicks your ass. There's a fresh start for you.
Old 10-07-04, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, I find myself not wanting to know what crime Kate is accused/convicted of either. At this point, it appears as if whatever her backstory is, it's almost certain to be something annoyingly trite.

Also, as others have pointed out, Evangeline Lilly is smoking hot. The weird thing, though, is that I can't seem to find a still shot that captures that. In all the still photos I've seen, she looks merely very attractive, but watching her in the show; she makes me feel all tingly.
Old 10-07-04, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling

Can someone describe (in spoilers) what the next-episode-preview showed? Tivo cut me off before the camera rounded Locke's head.

Spoiler:
It showed them all complaining about being hungry cuz there is no food. Then Locke throws a knife into seat next to Sawyer's face to get his attention then says 'lets go hunting". Then it shows the black lady and the doc talking. She says her husband isnt dead. He says everyone in the back is dead. She says they prolly think the same thing about us. Then you hear the monster and doc says RUN! Then is shows trees going down on their way to locke and you get a shot from the POV of the monster looking down on locke.

Thats pretty much it in my own form of jibberish.
Old 10-07-04, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by belboz
Actually, I find myself not wanting to know what crime Kate is accused/convicted of either. At this point, it appears as if whatever her backstory is, it's almost certain to be something annoyingly trite.
That was one of the reasons why I wanted to know now. Get it over with and out of the way. I don't need the big revelation during sweeps be that she had an abusive boyfriend that she killed in self defense or whatever. Since the farmer already mentioned that possibility I'm going to assume that's not it and it will be something a little more creative, but I'm not very ooptimistic beyond that.
Old 10-07-04, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tscott
John Locke, huh? Concidince? O'Quinn is a philosopher from the 1600s with a magic comic book that has trapped everyone on the island(afterlife) and is watching them as they are "reborn" clean. It all makes sense now!
If Terry's John Locke reborn, then he's cool.

If his name was Gobineau...that would be bad.
Old 10-07-04, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's certainly interesting the way this show is playing out. With the large cast they have, presenting a backstory in every episode just writes the entire season.
Old 10-07-04, 07:16 AM

Hmmm, I also was going with the purgatory theory with the ones in an unrestful state being stuck on the island until they were able to put beat their demons and then 'dying' again to continue on.

Good episode again though, I just hope at the end its not a total bust like 'it was all a dream!'
Old 10-07-04, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The background music is probably a little too ambitious for the "scary/uncertain" scenes when the adrenaline level is sky high.
Old 10-07-04, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TiVo smacked me down too

I also thought the dad was going to find a bloody rope where the dog was supposed to be. I think whatever was chasing him in the jungle earlier was actually a wild boar, not a monster, even though we didn't see it. That's what it sounded like to me anyways.

Some character predictions:

I don't think Whatsherface is 'dangerous' as in "armed and dangerouse" or serial killer dangerous, but dangerous in a manipulative way. I think between the car ride and the airplane crash she convinced the dead marshall that she really was innocent of whatever it was she did. I think she's going to end up being a con artist of some sort.

Locke isn't going to be a bad guy, like the Koreans we're seeing only a certain aspect of him right now that is trying to lead us into thinking one thing instead of another. I'm guessing Locke is going to have been a CIA/Military type guy who is/was dangerous in a serial killer way but now sees the crash as his redemption. He'll use his knowledge to help everybody survive.

The jerky guy who fouled up the mercy killing by shooting the marshall in the chest instead of the head is going to turn out not to be so jerky, just insecure and inadequate. He will also turn out to be a good guy that can be counted on.

Fat guy is going to be a bad guy. He's likeable enough now, but will soon show that he'll take the path of least resistance and will follow whatever evil/bad side comes up because they will offer him the easier life on the island/isthmus/peninsula.

The pregnant lady is driving me crazy, she looks like she's got a beach ball tucked under her skimpy outfit, doesn't look really pregnant at all. It seems ABC could've at least made it look more realistic.
Old 10-07-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts
Actually my wife is a labor and delivery nurse and is amazed how realistic the pregnant woman looks. For eight months along, it can look like a beach ball in a small person. My wife averages 100 lbs, and looked this way when she was pregnant.

I was surprised they already went into Kate's backstory so much. It is kinda remniscient of Riddick and Johns in Pitch Black. I was also surprised they already revealed Locke's secret. Thought it would be held at least another episode.

As for the commercials, I don't like 'em either, but if you think about how much it cost to shoot this show it is understandable that they want to re-coup that in the first few episodes in case it does tank and get cancelled.

Loved the episode. Can't wait until next week.

As for the peninsula idea, if indeed that is true, it TOTALLY leaves open a guest spot for the Globetrotters in season 6.
Old 10-07-04, 07:47 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dom56
Anyone think the Korean guy might kill and eat Vincent later in the episode if they ran out of food?
The previews for next weeks show has them running out of food. Hopefully we'll get to se some cannibalism.
Old 10-07-04, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Noticed they added subtitles to the Koreans. I think I actually preferred not knowing what they were saying. When you didn't know what they were saying, it kind of put you in the same place as the characters, and the frustration/confusion they were feeling. With the subtitles, you are getting additional information that the characters are not, so it pulled me out of the show a bit.

Not a big deal really, just something I noticed.
Old 10-07-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bralph
Noticed they added subtitles to the Koreans. I think I actually preferred not knowing what they were saying. When you didn't know what they were saying, it kind of put you in the same place as the characters, and the frustration/confusion they were feeling. With the subtitles, you are getting additional information that the characters are not, so it pulled me out of the show a bit.

Not a big deal really, just something I noticed.
Perhaps this is just my poor memory, but I thought the previous shows gave subtitles when they were speaking to each other. If they were talking to any of the other characters, no subtitles were given.

Therefore, if my memory is correct, last night was in line with that.
Old 10-07-04, 08:10 AM

Regarding the scenes for next week: was it just me, or were those the same scenes we were shown last week? Maybe I'm just psychic.

Gasspasser, my fellow Illinois RateBeerian, here is a brief synapsis of the episode:

- The hikers set up camp on their way back from the mountaintop. They decide to lie to the group about hearing the French distress call so that they don't cause a mass panic. The lifeguard guy takes the gun in the middle of the night to stand guard, but everyone objects and decides that Kate should be the one holding the gun.

- The Doc finds the mugshots of Kate on the marshall, who keeps saying that Kate is dangerous and cannot be trusted. Hurley sees the mugshots as well.

- Flashbacks show Kate nomadically wandering through Australia. She stays with a widowed farmer for 3 months and helps him around the farm. They befriend each other, but the farmer discovers that she is wanted, and turns her in to get the reward money so he can pay off his mortgage. He tells her this when he is driving her to the "train station" when she notices that they are being followed by the marshall. She causes an accident in which the farmer is knocked unconscious. Instead of running and saving herself, she drags the farmer to safety and is captured by the marshall.

- The father, when looking for his son's dog, is chased by the "monster" and ends up running into the Korean woman when she is bathing. Uncomfortableness ensues.

- Locke carves a whistle out of wood and uses it to attract the dog, Vincent. He ties Vincent up and tells the father so that he can bring the dog to his son.

- The marshall isn't doing too well, and will surely die. Kate wants to put the marshall out of his misery so that he won't suffer for days. Doc won't let her. The crazy wildman redneck guy ends up shooting the marshall because he wanted to die, but he shot him in the chest, not the head. The gunshot didn't kill him - it punctured his lung. Off camera, it is assummed that the Doc ends the marshall's life.

- Kate tries to tell Doc what she did to get in trouble, but he doesn't want to know. He says that everyone died on the planecrash, and everyone is starting fresh.

I probably missed something, but that is a general breakdown of what happened.

Last edited by Morf; 10-07-04 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-07-04, 08:10 AM

Is Hurley on drugs or something? Why was he wasting the batteries in his CD player when Sayed had just said they needed all the leftover batteries they could find to run the transceiver?

I thought it was a great touch that Kate is CANADIAN, not American, especially since she (Lilly) is.

It was a contrivance that the marshall didn't tell us what Kate did and that Jack doesn't want to know, but I am willing to overlook it. Obviously, everyone's secrets are going to come out over time. I read an interview with JJ yesterday and he said they had the first two seasons mapped out already.

The hillbilly guy is a little too cartoonish for me at this point. I'm sure his backstory will flesh him out later, but right now it's a pretty silly character.
Old 10-07-04, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by Chew
Perhaps this is just my poor memory, but I thought the previous shows gave subtitles when they were speaking to each other. If they were talking to any of the other characters, no subtitles were given.

Therefore, if my memory is correct, last night was in line with that.
I think bralph is right, last night was the first time they had any subtitles.
Old 10-07-04, 08:13 AM

I think bralph is right, last night was the first time they had any subtitles.
Wrong. They had subtitles in the pilot episode, when the husband told the wife to stay with him.
Old 10-07-04, 08:22 AM

I am worried they will wimp out on the Kate story line.

TV has a habit of making us sympathetic towards attractive women accused of doing evil. Only to later find out she was the victim of a brutal white male dominated society. She was just defending herself *sigh*. Usually involving a rape.

So far they are doing a good job of painting her.
Old 10-07-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by renaldow
TiVo smacked me down too

I also thought the dad was going to find a bloody rope where the dog was supposed to be.
Anyone else making the mistake of ASSUMING that Michael is the Walt's father? I wondered that during the pilot, but last night Michael's general reactions made it pretty clear that he is NOT the boy's father. See the scene about finding the dog in the rain and when Locke shows up with the dog.

I have padded my TiVo for this show. Nothing worse than missing that show title card "GASP!" moment of a J.J. Abrams episode - LOST!

BTW - the Koreans have always been subtitled when talking to each other. What would be the point of seeing them converse for more than an exchange if the audience can't understand what they're saying?
Old 10-07-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 628 Likes on 504 Posts
Is Hurley on drugs or something? Why was he wasting the batteries in his CD player when Sayed had just said they needed all the leftover batteries they could find to run the transceiver?

Yeah - WTF is up with that? Couldn't understand that and why that idiot didn't shoot the Marshall in the head. Otherwise, a solid episode.
Old 10-07-04, 08:36 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Q: Does the island make the fears of the survivors 'come to life', in a kind of updated version of "Forbidden Planet"?
A: No. The producers have nixed this idea. Whatever we find on the island is real and will have either a scientific or pseudo-scientific explanation. There will be no magic of any kind (including science fantasy magic).

Q: Are the survivors actually dead?
A: No. The producers have thrown this out as well.
All good news to me. I don't want another show about dead people. I want people stranded on an island. Perhaps the polar bear in the comic book was just foreshadowing?

And at first I was like "GET ON WITH IT!" about telling us with what Kate did, but I don't care any more. Just feeds back into the episode's theme that it doesn't matter what they did before the crash.
Old 10-07-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
So, last week Walt looks at a comic book, sees a polar bear - then suddenly a real polar bear shows up

Last night, Walt
Spoiler:
apparently wants the rain to stop so his father can look for Vincent and instantly the rain stops.

Coincidence? Beats me.

Also, when the hot pregnant girl (whose character name I can't recall) was asked if her husband was with her on the plane only answers
Spoiler:
"I'm not married"
Could this feed into the
Spoiler:
appearance of a character who wasn't on the plane?
Old 10-07-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by rfduncan
Anyone else making the mistake of ASSUMING that Michael is the Walt's father? I wondered that during the pilot, but last night Michael's general reactions made it pretty clear that he is NOT the boy's father. See the scene about finding the dog in the rain and when Locke shows up with the dog.
This didn't bother me all that much. The dad mentioned that the kid didn't live with him at all so I'd be more suspicious if they're relationship was all happy.

I'm in the camp that doesn't want to know what Kate did. Whatever it is, it won't live up to our expectations so if we never find out I won't be mad.

The commercial breaks are driving me nuts but I understand ABC has to make $$$. There's got to be a better way of handling this. If not, I might have to TIVO the eps and watch them later.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.