Serious moments in Sitcoms that left you Tingley

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Serious moments in Sitcoms that left you Tingley

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally Posted by conscience
btw, anybody know which episode (the name) it was when Kevin goes to a dance and the camera shows us an aerial shot of the whole dance floor and Kevin and Winnie just miss each other while walking through the crowd..gave me the goosebumps.
That episode is called: Don't You Know Anything About Women?

From TVtome.com:
Kevin wants to take Susan Fisher to the dance, but she has a boyfriend, Donald Wallach. However, he hears rumors that they have broken up, so he's about to ask her until Donald interferes. Linda Sloan, his lab partner, suggests that they go as friends so they do.
They have a good time in the beginning, but it turns sour when while Linda is dancing with Steve Padway, Kevin dances with Susan and they have punch. How is it bad? Susan leaves and Linda comes back and asks if they half-filled cup of punch that Susan left is for her, but Kevin says that it's Susan's in a not-so-nice sort of way. That basically breaks Linda's heart and she leaves. Kevin is about to ask Susan to dance again but she's dancing with Donald, so Kevin leaves, not knowing that Winnie came in, probably looking for him.

The goosebump quote that ends that episode:
"All of our young lives we search for someone to love. Someone that makes us complete. We choose partners and change partners. We dance to a song of heartbreak and hope. All the while wondering if somewhere, somehow, there's someone perfect who might be searching for us."
Old 01-11-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
M.A.S.H. = C. Blake's death, the operating room is silent. Saw the show when I was about 12 years old and I can still remember the emotional silence.
Old 01-11-05, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
There are a couple episodes of "The Jeffersons" that come to mind. One was where George discovers Louise's long lost father, a person she presumed had died when she was child. She said she couldn't accept that if he were alive, it meant he had abandoned the family. The father is invited over with telling her the truth but then he realizes it's better if he didn't tell her. At the end of the episode, George gives him a picture of Louise, which causes the father to break down in tears.

The other one was where George confronts a female street gang. I think they robbed one of his stores and took something that belongs to Louise (a ring or something). He confronts them, only to get stabbed. He is still determined to retrieve the item and later tracks them down. One of the gang members happens to be pregnant and goes into labor, and no one knows how to handle the situation. George helps the woman give birth. The leader of the gang gives George the item back saying she wasn't returning the item, but "paying the doctor."
Old 01-11-05, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember seeing that "Draft Dodger" episode(a rerun - i was just a baby back then) - simply a historical moment for that show and the rapist one comes to mind as well. The Wonder Years did indeed have alot of moments now that i actually remembered reading this thread. But the Fresh Prince one i vividly remember 'cause for that show to have a moment like that(his Dad coming back and then leaving him again) really hit home for me personally. It just goes to show these moments on these TV shows will never die!!!
Old 01-11-05, 12:02 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Almost the entire episode from The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd called "Here's a Little Known Story About Ingrid Bergman". It's the episode immediately after Molly (Blair Brown) and Moss (David Straitharn) have sex for the first time, and the method Moss uses to tell Molly how much it meant to him is jaw-dropping in conception and execution. Everything about that episode was flawless, and it's a damn shame the entire series isn't enshrined in a DVD set.

Also, the "Abyssinia, Henry" episode of M*A*S*H. I've cried every time I've seen it, 30 years on.
Old 01-11-05, 02:27 PM

Mad About You has quite a few. I can't remember any of them though. There is this one line of dialog that sticks out in my mind, but I can't remember the words, scene, or episode. All I remember is the tone of voice she uses and it sounds so painful. I think they were having a fight or something and she asks why marriage is so hard or something like that. Damn! I am going to have to do some research.
Old 01-11-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Yes, I remember that.

[Will's father came back into town, and then lied to Will about being around more and left. Phillip is trying to comfort him]
Will: Hey, you know what, you ain't got to do nothing, Uncle Phil. You know, ain't like I'm still five years old, you know? Ain't like I'm gonna be sitting every night asking my mom 'when's daddy coming home?' You know? Who needs him? Hey, he wasn't there to teach me how to shoot my first basket, but I learned it, didn't I? And I got pretty damn good at it too, didn't I, Uncle Phil?
Phillip Banks: Yeah, you did.
Will: Got to do my first date without him, right? I learned how to ride, I learned how to shave, I learned how to fight without him. I had *fourteen* great birthdays without him; he never even sent me a damn card. The hell with him!
[pause]
Will: I didn't need him then, I won't need him now.
Phillip Banks: Will...
Will: No, you know what, Uncle Phil? I'm gonna get through college without him, I'm gonna get a great job without him, I'm gonna marry me a beautiful honey and I'm having a whole bunch of kids. I'm gonna be a better father than he ever was. And I sure as hell don't need him for that, 'cause there ain't a damn thing he can teach me about how to love my kids!
[long pause; he's crying]
Will: How come he don't want me, man?
[He hugs Uncle Phil, and we get a close-up of the gfit he was going to give to his dad: a small sculpture of a father and son hugging.]

I was gonna post that one but i didnt have the lines from it,thanks That scene is amazing.
Old 01-11-05, 08:30 PM

I agree with both Cheers and Good Times, and along the same lines as a show like Wonder Years, how about Freaks and Geeks (especially on DVD, every episode was sad to me, because after seeing the first one I knew the show would inevitably end 17 episodes later). Every episode in that series was so emotional for me, and I'm only 22, but it made me feel like an 80s teenager kind of how WY put one in the 60s; I also think ALF had its moments when I was a kid watchin it, like when he was gonna leave and go back with his 'real' family. Growing Pains had countless ones to remember. Home Improvement might of had some, but it seemed like as soon as the boys hit puberty they were so desperate for ratings every week was a "very special episode of home improvement"

and less we forget all the episodes of Coach (for those of us passionate about sports), with the last one leaving me crying like a little bitch as well as the one where they left MN!

Got an idea for a new thread: Sitcom moments where a meain character was going to do something really painful to his or her ego and its painful to even watch and/or rewatch.

Examples: freaks and geeks-nick is gonna try out for that band and we all know how bad is drumming is and how awkward its gotta be for lindsay or Punk'd when Beyonce is gonna have that tree fall and be blamed for it, bhhh gives me shivers.
Old 01-11-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by LasVegasMichael
Wanted to add a wonderful Cheers moment, when Diane leaves to be a writer, and Sam tells her to "Have a good life" and she says not to say that, as she will be back in Six months. She leaves, and he watches her climb the stairs, and he says again, after she left, "Have a Good life,"

I was only a kid when that aired, but it brought a tear to my eye back then, and still does.

Can't wait for that episode to come on DVD. "I Do, Adieu." Shelley Long's final episode.

It's the piano song at the end of the show, and Sam and Diane as an old couple dancing the night away - an act that Sam will never be able to do - that brings a tear to my eye.
Old 01-11-05, 10:36 PM

The freaks and geeks moment that comes to mind for me is when Neil finds out his dad is cheating, and then he and sam go out trying to find out who the mistress is - then Sam comes home and his parents have a brand new Atari waiting for him, and he just starts to cry and hugs them.

<sniff>
Old 01-12-05, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rabbit77
I was also going to say The Office, but the last 5 minutes of the second part of the Christmas Special had me in tears, Dawn's scene in the taxi and what happens after.

I'm getting emotional just thinking about it now.
Old 01-12-05, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I'll get misty eye'd at the very last episode of the Black Adder series.

The last season took place during WWI. They were soldiers living in the trenches. In the final episode, they discover they will be going over the wall to attack the enemy, and will surely all die. Blackadder and Baldrick spend the episode trying to get out of the attack, but fail.

At the end of the show, Blackadder blows his whistler to ready the men and they charge. We see them running across the muddy field in slow motion, then it fades to that field 60 or 70 years later, as a big grassy field covered in red poppies. No closing credits. Just the image of the field of poppies.
Here's the transcript from the scene before they charge:

Lieutenant George: But this is brave, splendid and noble...
[Blackadder doesn't react - there's a long pause]
Lieutenant George: ...Sir
Captain Blackadder: Yes, Lieutenant.
Lieutenant George: I'm scared, sir
Private Baldrick: I'm scared too, sir
Lieutenant George: I'm the last of the tiddly-winking leapfroggers from the golden summer of 1914. I don't want to die... I'm really not over keen on dying at all, sir.
Captain Blackadder: How are you feeling, Darling?
Captain Darling: Ahm- not all that good, Blackadder. Rather hoped I'd get through the whole show, go back to work at Pratt and Sons, keep wicket for the Croydon Gentlemen, marry Doris. Made a note in my diary on the way here. Simply says: "Bugger".
Captain Blackadder: Well, quite.
[Outside: "Stand to, stand to, fix bayonets"]
Captain Blackadder: Come on, come on, let's move.
[at the door, Blackadder turns to George]
Captain Blackadder: Don't forget your stick Lieutenant
Lieutenant George: Rather, sir. Wouldn't want to face a machine gun without this.
[they walk into the misty trench, waiting for the off - suddenly there is silence - the machine guns stop]
Captain Darling: I say, listen - our guns have stopped.
Lieutenant George: You don't think...
Private Baldrick: Perhaps the war's over. Perhaps it's peace.
Captain Darling: Thank God. We lived through it. The Great War, 1914 to 1917.
Captain Darling, Private Baldrick, Lieutenant George: Hip hip hooray!
Captain Blackadder: I'm afraid not. The guns have stopped because we are about to attack. Not even our generals are mad enough to shell their own men. They feel it's more sporting to let the Germans do it.
Lieutenant George: So, we are, in fact, going over. This is, as they say, it?
Captain Blackadder: Yes, unless I can think of something very quickly.
[a voice shouts 'Company, one pace forward.' They all step forward]
Private Baldrick: There's a nasty splinter on that ladder, sir. A bloke could hurt himself on that.
[another call: "Stand ready" - they put their hands on the ladders ready to climb]
Private Baldrick: I have a plan, sir.
Captain Blackadder: Really Baldrick? A cunning and subtle one?
Private Baldrick: Yes, sir.
Captain Blackadder: As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?
Private Baldrick: Yes, sir.
[another call: "On the signal, Company will advance"]
Captain Blackadder: Well, I'm afraid it's too late. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of here by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
[a whistle blows he looks at Baldrick]
Captain Blackadder: Good luck, everyone.
[Blackadder blows his whistle, there is a roar of voices as everyone leaps up the ladders, meeting the machine gun fire]
Old 01-12-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't ever take sitcoms seriously. I laugh, I'm not moved. If I want drama I'll put on a movie and see some real acting.
Old 01-13-05, 12:14 PM

Another for the Newsradio after Phil died. Home Movies had some moments. I especially remember the last episode, with the camera on the highway. There other episodes too, that I'd be moved just by their.. reflectiveness, you could say. I feel like Arrested Development has that certain special quality too. The episodes dealing with Michael meeting and falling in love with Marta come to mind. The Simpsons back in the day (long before it jumped the shark) was capable of being more than just jokey. The Season 4 episode Selma's Choice is one I can remember off hand, and the ending with Selma singing to her pet lizard (Jub-Jub, I think it was).
Old 01-16-05, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mordred
The end of Jurassic Bark literally had me tearing up.... My wife walked into the room immediately afterwards and laughed at me for it. Then I made her watch it...

Man, I just watched this episode, and hurt myself from chocking up, such great writing for another cancelled show whose life was cut short.
Old 01-16-05, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,482 Likes on 4,435 Posts
Many good calls here, but no one's yet mentioned Sex and the City. There were some great, poignant moments during the run of that series. Three that spring to mind (skip if you haven't watched the series yet):

After quitely and casually deciding to end their marriage, Trey reunites with Charlotte to pose for the Town & County pictorial that ment so much to her.

Smith shaves his famous locks as an act of solidarity for Samantha's chemo.

Carrie is confronted by Big's wife in the stairwell, then tearfully confesses her infidelities to Aidan.

So many great moments in that show.
Old 02-20-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was an episode in Married...With Children (of all shows) that got me tingly at the end. It has been awhile since I saw the episode, and I don't remember the exact plot or outline, but I will do my best to recollect it: the episode involved Bud and Kelly, who never have a kind word to say to one another, and give off cheap shots like it was Happy Hour. Anyway, it was a sort of "revenge" episode, and it went something like this.

Bud spies the girl who played him for a fool in grade school - she had gotten his underware on a flagpole or something. So, in high school, the girl doesn't recognize the teen-aged Bud (or so he thinks), but Bud recognizes her, so he plots his revenge. He will befriend her, and then at the prom, do to her what she did to him. IN the end, the girl recognized Bud all along, and was playing him in order to repeat the deed.

Kelly gets wind of something (the girl was a turnip with breasts, but she was wickedly sharp when it came to zingers and revenge), and in the end, redeems her love for her brother and teams with Bud and "gets the girl."

It is such a departure of the bickering Bundy kids - they unite in such a way that is totally uncharacteristic of them, and it left me with a lump in my throat.
Old 02-20-05, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
The Fresh Prince had a few, too. Like when Will's father comes back into his life, only quickly leave him once again.
Or when Will was shot by a mugger and is in the hospital, and Carlton shows him the gun he bought so he wouldn't be a victim again.

"Give me the gun, Carlton, give me the gun. I saved your life man, YOU OWE ME!"
Old 02-20-05, 06:10 PM

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
7th Season, my Lord. I would have sworn that was material from the 1st Season because of the relevance of Vietnam. America pulled out of Vietnam in 1973, and it was over by 1975, so I'm surprised.
Yes, but the residual effects of that war lasted throughout the decade and then some. It ate away at America long after the actual conflict.

Great thread, folks.
Old 02-20-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good Times man, that whole death episode really hurts. A lot of Cheers episodes, obviously, the last one was pretty emotional. Wonder Years had a ton, but the episode with that dead teacher was pretty damn good. Although not a sitcom, some of the episodes right after the big Borg "Worlds" episodes where Picard is dealing with the guilt are pretty damn good.
Old 03-08-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This episode was great because we all know that Homer Simpson hates the kind and gentle Ned Flanders, and Homer initially set him up to fail with his store - but, at the end of the episode, Homer helps Ned. That left me all weepy and fuzzy inside.

Last edited by Buttmunker; 04-06-06 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-05-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,346 Likes on 2,137 Posts
was rumaging through some old threads, figured it deserved a bump.
Old 04-06-06, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Zenigata
I feel like Arrested Development has that certain special quality too. The episodes dealing with Michael meeting and falling in love with Marta come to mind.
I agree. I seem to remember a few bits of "drama" like that in the first season which added a touch humanity to all the wackiness. I liked that aspect very much and rewatching the first season makes me somewhat disappointed the later seasons didn't continue with such moments.
Old 04-06-06, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by strife
She was taking pills to stay awake and crashed. The scene is in her room and Zak wakes her up before a performance for the band. She goes for the pills, but Zack stops her and she breaks down with those words.

I'm sure someone will give a better description.
I love youtube. Remix!

Zach clearly got his chops for NYPD Blue on that show.

Last edited by ShallowHal; 04-06-06 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-06-06, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That remix is freaking awesome

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.