Serious moments in Sitcoms that left you Tingley

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Serious moments in Sitcoms that left you Tingley

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-04, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That Futurama episode about Fry's brother gets me every time, it is such a silly episode until everything is explained in the last 5 minutes .
Old 09-30-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,184 Posts
Originally posted by mthiel
Speaking of Serious moments in superhero cartoons:

Superman the Animated Series: 'Legacy', the two part season 4 opener...which are also the last episodes of the show. Superman is captured and controlled by Darkseid. At the end of the episodes, Superman almost kills Darkseid, and most of the people on Earth no longer trust him. Very dark compared to the rest of the show, and I am guessing this opener was supposed to introduce a story arc involving Superman regaining the trust of the human population, but I guess we'll never know.

Oh yeah! Darkseid leaves but kills that cop and disappears as a last "Fuck you Superman" and Superman goes nuts and destroys tha tank.

I remember thinking how big a deal that was considering "actual deaths" in a kid's show are rare.
Old 12-30-04, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
A Christmas episode of "All in the Family" had Mike invite his draft-dodging friend over for dinner and Archie invited his friend Pinky, who lost his son in Vietnam. Archie finds out about the draft-dodging bit and, obviously, goes berzerk. He and Mike had the following exchange:
Mike: "Arch, when are you going to admit that the war was wrong?!?"
Archie: "I'm not talking about the war! I don't want to hear about that GODDAMN WAR NO MORE!"
What was the title of that episode, and what season did it appear?
Old 12-30-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
What was the title of that episode, and what season did it appear?
"The Draft Dodger" and it was first shown on Christmas Day 1976, which was the 7th season.
Old 12-30-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Boy Meets World

The one where they start out the show discussing which superhero they would like their dads to be, if they could.

At the end, after seeing what all his dad does, says "My dad is Superman"
Old 12-30-04, 01:14 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

NewsRadio -- the episode when they all say goodbye to Bill (Phil Hartman) -- man what a sad freaking episode!

Greg
Old 12-30-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
"The Draft Dodger" and it was first shown on Christmas Day 1976, which was the 7th season.
7th Season, my Lord. I would have sworn that was material from the 1st Season because of the relevance of Vietnam. America pulled out of Vietnam in 1973, and it was over by 1975, so I'm surprised.

So I have to wait until the 7th Season to see it.
Old 12-30-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
[QUOTE=Giantrobo]

All in Family

1. When Edith hit the rapist with the hot cake.

EXACTLY. That's the first thought that comes to mind too.

Of course, for me, what really makes me lose it are the scenes right after Edith Bunker is almost raped -

Archie, Gloria, and Mike are all at the Jefferson's waiting for Edith to come in with her birthday cake -- After fleeing from the rapist, Edith comes in, with half of her house-dress undone from all the chaos, and runs crying right into Archie's arms as they begin singing: "For she's a jolly good fellow"...

Everyone thinks she's crying out of happiness, but we know - and you can see that Archie knows - that something terrible has happened.

Breaks my heart every time.
Old 12-30-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Also -

Cheers. When Sam and Diane break up for the first time because Diane secretly went behind Sam's back to pose for a painting - for Sam.

The end of this episode has Sam and Diane is a verbally-heated argument - some of the best acting I've ever seen on TV - which hits both highs and lows as they even resort to pinching each other's noses and ears!

But the very last scene - and the very last line - is what gives me the goosebumps. After Diane finally storms out of Cheers - and Sam doesn't even think he's ever going to see her again - he goes back behind the bar and finally decides to unveil the finished painting.

When Sam finally unwraps the art piece - and the director wisely never actually SHOWS us the finished work - we just see Sam have this complete look of amazement as he realizes he made the biggest mistake in the world as he whispers:

"Wow."

FADE TO BLACK. END OF SEASON 2.
Old 12-30-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Taxi, when Jim's Dad dies:

"Dad, you liked Stevie Wonder!?!?!?!"

Gets me every time........

EDIT: skimming back over this thread, Roto beat me to it.

Last edited by Jobronie; 12-30-04 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-30-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=jeffkjoe]
Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Archie, Gloria, and Mike are all at the Jefferson's waiting for Edith to come in with her birthday cake -- After fleeing from the rapist, Edith comes in, with half of her house-dress undone from all the chaos, and runs crying right into Archie's arms as they begin singing: "For she's a jolly good fellow"...
Just a note. They were all at Mike and Gloria's house. The Jefferson's had already "moved on up to the Eastside".
Old 12-30-04, 05:07 PM

I immediately thought of The Wonder Years, and it's been mentioned in this thread, but even though it was a half-hour show I never considered it a sitcom. It was always more of a comedy-drama (dramedy?) to me. But since we're including it, there were many poignant moments, starting in the first episode with Winnie's brother dying to the "I'll be right there" last scene in the finale. A lot of the sad parts dealt with Kevin and Winnie's off-on relationship, from the one where she moved to a new neighborhood to the one where their schools met up on a field trip. When the two buses go off in different directions in the final scene, set to The Beach Boys' "God Only Knows", I could feel my eyes welling up. Also, Mr. Collins dying, the one where they get a puppy (especially heartbreaking since i'm a dog lover), the one where Kev goes back to the lake and sees Cara again, Karen's birthday where Jack gives her his old war jacket, and on and on. See, this is why I don't think TWY should be included in a thread on "sitcoms". It had way too many touching moments. I hope the dvd releases don't take forever.

for all the other good shows mentioned. I also thought of the Full House ep where Stephanie finds out her friend is being abused by his dad. Good acting by the kids made it pretty moving.
Old 12-30-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most "Very Special Episodes," are done as stunts during sweeps and are overly contrived but there are a few out there that are genuinely good.
Old 12-31-04, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The last couple of minutes of Sports Night.
Old 12-31-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 249 Likes on 149 Posts
Agreed, Kenny. "My show is on! My show is on!"

I never really considered Wonder Years a sitcom, myself, but YMMV.
Old 12-31-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When Kareem Said got shot for no apparent reason on Oz
Old 01-01-05, 04:09 PM

Roseanne episode "Crime and Punishment 1" We find out that Jackie's boyfriend beat her up. Two parts of this episode give me chills: When Darlene walks in on her in the bathroom, we don't see her but we hear her yelling at Darlene to get out. Dan finds out about the beating and doesn't say anything but walks out the door wearing a very dangerous look.

Another episode "The Driver's Seat", Roseanne hits D.J. and is forced to examine her own abuse at the hands of her father.
Old 01-02-05, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 504 Likes on 330 Posts
I'll get misty eye'd at the very last episode of the Black Adder series.

The last season took place during WWI. They were soldiers living in the trenches. In the final episode, they discover they will be going over the wall to attack the enemy, and will surely all die. Blackadder and Baldrick spend the episode trying to get out of the attack, but fail.

At the end of the show, Blackadder blows his whistler to ready the men and they charge. We see them running across the muddy field in slow motion, then it fades to that field 60 or 70 years later, as a big grassy field covered in red poppies. No closing credits. Just the image of the field of poppies.
Old 01-02-05, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mordred
The end of Jurassic Bark literally had me tearing up.... My wife walked into the room immediately afterwards and laughed at me for it. Then I made her watch it... ah sweet revenge!
You aren't alone in that. I was tearing up as well, and I can stomach a lot of "tear-jerking" moments. What added to the effect was the fact that I am a dog-owner as well, and the song playing (does anyone know what it is?).
Old 01-02-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agree with most listed here, especially "My Name is Alex" from Family Ties (remember when that was being promoted as commerical free bakc when it originally aired?). Also agree on The Office, Sports Night (pretty much the entire Que Vendamos episode), and of course, NewsRadio with the passing of the late great Phil Hartman.

Wanted to add a wonderful Cheers moment, when Diane leaves to be a writer, and Sam tells her to "Have a good life" and she says not to say that, as she will be back in Six months. She leaves, and he watches her climb the stairs, and he says again, after she left, "Have a Good life,"

I was only a kid when that aired, but it brought a tear to my eye back then, and still does.
Old 01-02-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn, that Mr. Hooper transcript made me cry!

Everyone is posting sad ones but Cheers had a couple of outstanding serious moments that weren't necessarily tragedies right at the end. One was the final few minutes of the not-so-great finale when Norm insinuates that the bar is Sam's only true love and then leaves Sam alone. He sort of wipes the bar with his hand and says, "I must be the luckiest guy alive." He walks over to the photo of Geronimo hanging crooked on the wall, a photo that Cheers fans knew came from Nick Collosanto's dressing room after he died, and straightens it out (the only reference to Coach in the finale) and then walks into the darkness of the backroom, completely enveloped by his bar. And total silence. Great moment.

I was also thinking a couple episodes before that when Sam is trying to confront the fact that he's a sexoholic and goes to therapy. It's a weird plot device but the very end of the moment was weirdly dark: Some "sexy" woman in the therapy group talks about how she's addicted to sex and needs to have sex with any man who's available all the time. Sam leeringly turns to her and says something like "So, what are you doing after the session?" Har-dee-dee-har, audience laughs. But instead of cutting to the credits immediately like Cheers always did, the shot lingers on Sam just a little too long, so the laughs die down and you see him catch himself, think about what he just said, and realize that just a little bit, he kind of hates himself and realizes that he's treated the women in his life like total crap. Ted Danson totally sells this tiny little moment that no one ever remembers but that I've never forgotten.
Old 01-02-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The Fresh Prince had a few, too. Like when Will's father comes back into his life, only quickly leave him once again.
Old 01-02-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know people are complaining about cartoons, but in the first season of Batman:TAS, the Mr. Freeze Episode was like that. It has been along time, but as I recall, when Freeze's wife thaws from he cryogenic state, and he knows he will never be able to find a cure, I had this feeling. It is my favorite cartoon half hour ever I think.
Old 01-02-05, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
The Fresh Prince had a few, too. Like when Will's father comes back into his life, only quickly leave him once again.
Yes, I remember that.

[Will's father came back into town, and then lied to Will about being around more and left. Phillip is trying to comfort him]
Will: Hey, you know what, you ain't got to do nothing, Uncle Phil. You know, ain't like I'm still five years old, you know? Ain't like I'm gonna be sitting every night asking my mom 'when's daddy coming home?' You know? Who needs him? Hey, he wasn't there to teach me how to shoot my first basket, but I learned it, didn't I? And I got pretty damn good at it too, didn't I, Uncle Phil?
Phillip Banks: Yeah, you did.
Will: Got to do my first date without him, right? I learned how to ride, I learned how to shave, I learned how to fight without him. I had *fourteen* great birthdays without him; he never even sent me a damn card. The hell with him!
[pause]
Will: I didn't need him then, I won't need him now.
Phillip Banks: Will...
Will: No, you know what, Uncle Phil? I'm gonna get through college without him, I'm gonna get a great job without him, I'm gonna marry me a beautiful honey and I'm having a whole bunch of kids. I'm gonna be a better father than he ever was. And I sure as hell don't need him for that, 'cause there ain't a damn thing he can teach me about how to love my kids!
[long pause; he's crying]
Will: How come he don't want me, man?
[He hugs Uncle Phil, and we get a close-up of the gfit he was going to give to his dad: a small sculpture of a father and son hugging.]

Last edited by Doctor Who; 01-10-05 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-10-05, 10:01 PM

(bump)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.