Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Serious moments in Sitcoms that left you Tingley

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the VietNam episode of All In The Family.

I also recall another episode of AITF,
Mike and Archie get locked in the storeroom at the bar and after sharing a bottle, Archie tells Mike how "great" his father was becouse his father had to "beat" learning into him. He knew his father loved because he was tough on Archie and nobody that loved him that much could be wrong in the way he raised his son(Archie).

Really got me thinking about how a generation had been raised in pretty much the same way. Caused me to re-examine my feelings about my father and showed me I didn't have to be the same type of father.
Old 09-27-04, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Wonder Years:

There was one episode where Kevin went on vacation and made friends with this girl. They promised to write to one another, and once Kevin returned home, he wrote to his new friend, and the new friend wrote back, saying there would be many more letters.

It turned out to be the only letter Kevin received.
Old 09-27-04, 04:46 AM
Suspended

"John Doe", when we found out that Digger was the mastermind of the sign language people. Then Fox cancelled the show.
Old 09-27-04, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,159 Posts
M*A*S*H:

1. When Charles and Hawkeye share a happy moment afterHawk finds out his Dad did ok in surgery. Charles stayed with Hawkeye while Hawkeye was going nuts. I always liked Charles and how they made him closer to Hawk and BJ than Frank Burns.

2. When Potter lets the old Korean man keep his horse.

3. When Henry Blake died...of course.

All in Family

1. When Edith hit the rapist with the hot cake.

Good Times

1. When JJ moved in with drug dealers and at the end he asks if he can come home again. Florida says yes.

"Giantrobo's Neo -Classics"

The Justice League

1. When the heroes took their masks off in Starcrossed.

Justice League Unlimited

1. Green Arrow realizing Captian Atom was "ok"

2. Superman going apeshit on the War World guy once the plant was removed.

3. Hawkgirl at Dr. Fate's Tower.
Old 09-27-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Gasspasser
Sesame Street when they talked about that guy dieing (early to mid 80's). I was real young and I cant remember the name of the guy, but whenever I see clips of that moment it still makes me emotional.
I seem to recall that is when Mr. Hooper died. He owned the store in town.
Old 09-27-04, 11:48 AM

Here are some "Very Special"/Serious episodes I (seriously) think are good.

Futurama: the episode where Leela is goes insane because she accidentally kills Fry. Much better than the dog episode, IMHO.

Fulll House: the episode where the family thinks DJ is drinking beer. Not a single joke is uttered in the last 5 minutes of the show* allowing the audience to get fully involved in the drama.

Growing Pains: the family takes in a homeless girl. This is an early episode, although the series would later get bogged down by too many "Serious" episodes.

Diff'rent Strokes: Sam is kidnapped. I know that that the series already did a kidnapping episode a few years earlier, but I saw this episode first. Another sitcom that had too many "Serious" episodes towards the end of its run.

(* I know somebody is going to say, "Hey you moron, Full House was never funny during the entire run of the show!" Well, I beat you to it, nyah!)
Old 09-27-04, 02:13 PM

Speaking of Serious moments in superhero cartoons:

Superman the Animated Series: 'Legacy', the two part season 4 opener...which are also the last episodes of the show. Superman is captured and controlled by Darkseid. At the end of the episodes, Superman almost kills Darkseid, and most of the people on Earth no longer trust him. Very dark compared to the rest of the show, and I am guessing this opener was supposed to introduce a story arc involving Superman regaining the trust of the human population, but I guess we'll never know.
Old 09-27-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was always a sucker for any of the ones in the Wonder Years.

The one with Kevin outside Winnie's window after her accident gets me every time I watch it.

However, that scene is probably topped (at least for me) by one from the season before: Kevin and Winnie had recently broken up, and in an effort to show her that he wasn't bothered by it, he organizes a party and brings Madeline as his date. He ends up getting in an argument with Winnie, telling her that maybe they shouldn't be friends at all. When he gets home, he encounters his dad in the garage, who can tell something is up. When Jack asks Kevin what the deal is, Kevin totally breaks down and cries in his dad's arms.

Father-son moments like that have always pulled my strings, but because Jack Arnold was such a hardass most of the time, it made that scene extra "tingle-inducing."

Last edited by SexualPudding; 09-27-04 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-27-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's already been said, but the episode of NewsRadio that was a tribute to Phil Hartman was amazing. Of all celebrity deaths, his death actually got to me because it was so senseless and preventable.

Then when they got back together and did a remarkable episode... funny, sweet... actually bittersweet episode... everything was just so perfect about that episode
Old 09-27-04, 10:18 PM

Again it will be mentioned Newsradio when Phil Hartman Died.

Another From Wonder Years The Final episode where it has everyone from the show standing watching the 4th of July Parade, and Kevin's V.O. is telling what everyone ended up doing after that day, the main point being that his father died a few years later and then you hear on the V.O. Track Kevin's son calling out to him to play catch.
Old 09-27-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Frasier

The episode where Frasier and his dad are fighting over the chair (in the first season) and Frasier buys his dad a new chair and gets rid of the old one... When Frasier is spilling beer on the chair and shaking Eddie over it is one of the funniest moments on Frasier and in a second, when Frasier's dad breaks down and tells Frasier why the old chair is so important to him, a hush just comes over the scene and it's just such a beautiful moment between those two characters. And it's one of the few TV moments that choke me up whenever I see it.
Old 09-28-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Gasspasser
Sesame Street when they talked about that guy dieing (early to mid 80's). I was real young and I cant remember the name of the guy, but whenever I see clips of that moment it still makes me emotional.
The episode is titled "Mr. Hooper is Dead". Big Bird is giving out pictures that he drew of everyone:

Big Bird: And last but not least, ta-da!
[Shows picture of Mr. Hooper.]
Big Bird: Well, I can't wait till he sees it!
[silence]
Big Bird: Say, where is he? I wanna give it to him. I know! He's in the store.
Bob: Uh, Big Bird. He's ... he's not in there.
Big Bird: Oh. Then where is he?
Maria: Big Bird, uh, don't you remember we told you? Mr. Hooper died. He ... he's dead.
Big Bird: Oh yeah. I remember. Well, I'll give it to him when he comes back.
Susan: Big Bird, Mr Hooper's not coming back.
Big Bird: Why not?
Susan: Big Bird, when ... when people die, they don't *come* back.
Big Bird: Ever?
Susan: No, never.
Big Bird: Well, why not?
Luis: Well, Bird Bird, they're dead. They ... they can't come back.
Big Bird: Well, he's *gonna* come back. Why, who's gonna take care of the store? And who's gonna make my birdseed milkshakes and ... and tell me stories?
David: Big Bird, I'm gonna take care of the store. Mr. Hooper, he left it to me. And I'll make you your milkshakes and ... and we'll all tell you stories, and we'll make sure you're okay.
Susan: We'll look after you.
Big Bird: Hmmm.
[Another awkward moment of silence.]
Big Bird: Well, it won't be the same.
Bob: You're right, Bird Bird. It's ... it's ... it'll never be the same without him.
Big Bird: Mmm.
Bob: [crying] But you know something? We can all be very happy that we had a chance to be with him and ... and to know him. And to love him a lot when he was here.
Big Bird: Yeah.
Olivia: And Bird Bird, we'll still have our *memories* of him.
Big Bird: Well, yeah ... yeah ... our memories. Right. Why, memories, that's how I drew this picture. From memory. And we can remember him and remember him and remember him, as much as we want to! But I don't like it. It makes me sad.
David: We all feel sad, Big Bird.
Big Bird: He's *never* coming back?
David: Never.
Olivia: No.
Big Bird: Well, I don't understand! You know, everything was just fine! I mean, why does it have to be this way? Give me one good reason!
Gordon: Big Bird, it has to be this way ... *because*.
Big Bird: Just because?
Gordon: Just because.
Big Bird: Oh.
[Looks at Mr. Hooper's picture.]
Big Bird: You know, I'm gonna miss you, Mr. Looper.
Maria : [crying] That's *Hooper,* Big Bird, *Hooper.*
Big Bird: You're right.
[Everyone gathers around Big Bird for a hug.]
Old 09-28-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why are people bringing up "John Doe" and Superhero cartoons in a sitcom thread?
Old 09-28-04, 10:53 AM

Surprised no one has mentioned these:

Buffy Season 2 Finale - When Angel gets his soul back and Buffy realizes this, but still has to kill him in order to save the world.

Buffy - The Body - When she is telling Dawn that their mother is dead .. but there is no dialogue, you just watch the scene through a window. Also, when Buffy finds her mother and says "mommy?" Gets me every time.
Old 09-28-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 628 Likes on 504 Posts
Originally posted by Tygan
Surprised no one has mentioned these:

Buffy Season 2 Finale - When Angel gets his soul back and Buffy realizes this, but still has to kill him in order to save the world.

Buffy - The Body - When she is telling Dawn that their mother is dead .. but there is no dialogue, you just watch the scene through a window. Also, when Buffy finds her mother and says "mommy?" Gets me every time.

Probably because Buffy isn't a sitcom.
Old 09-28-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

7 Lives Exposed- When Devin Lane gets naked...... Oh wait... does PLayboy TV count?
Old 09-28-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
nice SBTB reference.

Didn't she say the line as she was practicing her routine? she was singing "I'm so excited" wasn't she?
Old 09-28-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Merkin Muffley
The Office

When David Brent begs for his job at the end of the second season. After laughing at the moron for two seasons, you seriously start to feel sorry for the guy.
I was also going to say The Office, but the last 5 minutes of the second part of the Christmas Special had me in tears, Dawn's scene in the taxi and what happens after.

I'm getting emotional just thinking about it now.
Old 09-28-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Big Boy Laroux •

she was singing "I'm so excited" wasn't she?
I don't think so. I think it was "Send in the Clowns"

das
Old 09-28-04, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by Buttmunker
The Wonder Years:

There was one episode where Kevin went on vacation and made friends with this girl. They promised to write to one another, and once Kevin returned home, he wrote to his new friend, and the new friend wrote back, saying there would be many more letters.

damn thats the one that still messes me up. guess its that 12 yr old met a girl on summer vacation and never heard from her after what could have been if she wasnt so far away thing many of us have experienced.
Old 09-28-04, 12:58 PM

I would have to agree with the Scrubs (just about every show has that "moment") especially the Brendan Frasier one. I think an audible "Oh my God" actually came out of my mouth.

The Office I would also agree with.

Somone already cracked open Full House so I guess I can cite it too What about the one where DJ was trying to lose weight and becoming anerexic?

And don't forget about The Cosby Show. Quite a few in there.
Old 09-28-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
The last episode of Coupling where Steve looks at his new baby and doesn't feel as close as he thought he would. Then the baby looks at him and it hits him.
As the father of a baby girl that one really hit home.
Old 09-28-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Buttmunker
The Wonder Years:

definately. I even remember someone (Kevin, maybe) ordered the "barnacle bucket" at the seafood restaurant they went to and Paul had allergy issues regarding the seafood. I think Milhouse was based off him or vice versa. Anyway, yes! Great episode.
Old 09-28-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by apchrist

Another From Wonder Years The Final episode where it has everyone from the show standing watching the 4th of July Parade, and Kevin's V.O. is telling what everyone ended up doing after that day, the main point being that his father died a few years later and then you hear on the V.O. Track Kevin's son calling out to him to play catch.
No, no - it's just something in my eye,,,
Old 09-28-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
The episode is titled "Mr. Hooper is Dead". Big Bird is giving out pictures that he drew of everyone:

Big Bird: And last but not least, ta-da!
[Shows picture of Mr. Hooper.]
Big Bird: Well, I can't wait till he sees it!
[silence]
Big Bird: Say, where is he? I wanna give it to him. I know! He's in the store.
Bob: Uh, Big Bird. He's ... he's not in there.
Big Bird: Oh. Then where is he?
Maria: Big Bird, uh, don't you remember we told you? Mr. Hooper died. He ... he's dead.
Big Bird: Oh yeah. I remember. Well, I'll give it to him when he comes back.
Susan: Big Bird, Mr Hooper's not coming back.
Big Bird: Why not?
Susan: Big Bird, when ... when people die, they don't *come* back.
Big Bird: Ever?
Susan: No, never.
Big Bird: Well, why not?
Luis: Well, Bird Bird, they're dead. They ... they can't come back.
Big Bird: Well, he's *gonna* come back. Why, who's gonna take care of the store? And who's gonna make my birdseed milkshakes and ... and tell me stories?
David: Big Bird, I'm gonna take care of the store. Mr. Hooper, he left it to me. And I'll make you your milkshakes and ... and we'll all tell you stories, and we'll make sure you're okay.
Susan: We'll look after you.
Big Bird: Hmmm.
[Another awkward moment of silence.]
Big Bird: Well, it won't be the same.
Bob: You're right, Bird Bird. It's ... it's ... it'll never be the same without him.
Big Bird: Mmm.
Bob: [crying] But you know something? We can all be very happy that we had a chance to be with him and ... and to know him. And to love him a lot when he was here.
Big Bird: Yeah.
Olivia: And Bird Bird, we'll still have our *memories* of him.
Big Bird: Well, yeah ... yeah ... our memories. Right. Why, memories, that's how I drew this picture. From memory. And we can remember him and remember him and remember him, as much as we want to! But I don't like it. It makes me sad.
David: We all feel sad, Big Bird.
Big Bird: He's *never* coming back?
David: Never.
Olivia: No.
Big Bird: Well, I don't understand! You know, everything was just fine! I mean, why does it have to be this way? Give me one good reason!
Gordon: Big Bird, it has to be this way ... *because*.
Big Bird: Just because?
Gordon: Just because.
Big Bird: Oh.
[Looks at Mr. Hooper's picture.]
Big Bird: You know, I'm gonna miss you, Mr. Looper.
Maria : [crying] That's *Hooper,* Big Bird, *Hooper.*
Big Bird: You're right.
[Everyone gathers around Big Bird for a hug.]
Damnit, I told you -- I've got something in my eye!

Even if Sesame Street isn't a sitcom.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.