The Apprentice - 9/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Apprentice - 9/16

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-04, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ego was definitely involved in Bradford's firing, but it was Trumps' ego, not Bradford's. How dare Bradford turn down immunity that The Donald offered him! I was pretty shocked at his firing last night - at least give the poor guy his clothes! hehe I do have to admit it made for a great tv moment, which is exactly why it was done.

I totally disagree that Bradford's move to give up immunity was so careless that he deserved to be fired for it. This is a GAME, and I doubt he would have made a similar decision in a true business setting. He was trying to be a team player by giving up the immunity that set him apart from everyone else. But it's obvious from Caroline's agreement to Bradford's firing that Trump's organization is all about kissing a$$ and that was Bradford's downfall.
Old 09-17-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was the way Bradford acted that was so stupid. If he had done what I said earlier in the thread he wouldn't have been fired. His dumb smile and inability to justify himself killed him.
Old 09-17-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
It was the way Bradford acted that was so stupid. If he had done what I said earlier in the thread he wouldn't have been fired. His dumb smile and inability to justify himself killed him.

I agree - he was a putz. I'm sure that one reason Trump canned him was for a ratings grab, but it was still well-deserved.
Old 09-17-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I only caught the last boardroom scene but that was pretty cool. Trump really railed on all of them even though two of them probably shouldn't have been there which he continually pointed out.

I wonder if those people from the boardroom realize that they're not going to make it past the next week or so.

I think Trump just goes ahead and fires two people next week.
Old 09-17-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I especially loved how he kept on telling the other girl to shut up. Dude, talk about having a big mouth.
Old 09-17-04, 11:42 AM

>>What Trump knew and Bradford didn't was that if everyone piles into the trenches, everyone gets shot and no one lives to fight another day.
Old 09-17-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Patman
In the framework of the game, Bradford demonstrated that he could be bullied/shamed into giving up a strategic advantage with nothing tangible in return, and that is a trait that the Donald wasn't okay with for the Apprentice #2.
Exactly. It's not Trump didn't like Bradford taking risks - but it was a risk with no reward. That's stupid.
Old 09-17-04, 12:24 PM

This season is a joke. After the Bradford thing I'm convinced that this time around it's not about the job, but about the entertainment. The game is rigged! The only reason it went down like that is to get America talking. Total bull. If Trump thinks he's the best-- and he wants the best working for him-- than why? Why?

Plus Trumps an ass... ASS I say. What's up with the Cesear music and stuff. What an ass.
Old 09-17-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The point was that in business you don't give up a strategic advantage if you don't need to, and if you do give up the advantage, it can cost you and your company.

In the framework of the game, Bradford demonstrated that he could be bullied/shamed into giving up a strategic advantage with nothing tangible in return, and that is a trait that the Donald wasn't okay with for the Apprentice #2.
I wholeheartedly agree.
Old 09-17-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally posted by shawagg
This season is a joke. After the Bradford thing I'm convinced that this time around it's not about the job, but about the entertainment. The game is rigged!

Well I thought that was pretty obvious last year if you looked at some of the challenges and how 1 person basically gets to steer the outcome. This is why, in terms of gameplay, it will never reach the level of Survivor or The Amazing Race. In terms of entertainment, you may have a different story.
Old 09-17-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by CPA-ESQ.

3) Trump knows he needs to keep his "villians" around in the show longer - so let's get rid of someone who a team player and is confident in his performance.
No, he fired Bradford, who had demonstrated he wasn't a team player (by taking over in the toy challenge, and by participating very little when it wasn't his turn at the top this week).

I think Trump fired him because he was too cocky for his own good (and the firing proved that) and because the whole 'giving up immunity' thing had nothing to do with backing his team but was done solely to impress Trump. It backfired.
Old 09-17-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shawagg
I'm convinced that this time around it's not about the job, but about the entertainment.
I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you.
The Apprentice is supposed to be entertainment, and not an actual job interview? Most job interviews don't last 15 weeks and aren't televised? Good God! Somebody call Drudge!
Old 09-17-04, 07:03 PM

Old 09-17-04, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by WillieTheShakes
No, he fired Bradford, who had demonstrated he wasn't a team player (by taking over in the toy challenge, and by participating very little when it wasn't his turn at the top this week).

I think Trump fired him because he was too cocky for his own good (and the firing proved that) and because the whole 'giving up immunity' thing had nothing to do with backing his team but was done solely to impress Trump. It backfired.
I agree Bradford was overconfident and that what brought about his downfall as for Stacie and Ivana there is no doubt there is bad blood between them it's going to be interesting to see how they both get along next week. Personally I don't see both of them to last much longer.
Old 09-17-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was completely and utterly shocked by the ending.
Old 09-17-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Brad might be an idiot, but Ivana is a freaking moron for taking him in the room...now she has a superpissed Staci J on her team for the time being.
Old 09-18-04, 02:07 AM

After thinking about it a little more, i'm pretty convinced that Trump WENT INTO this SEASON with the idea that he was going to fire someone JUST BECAUSE they chose to only bring 2 people into the board room instead of 3 (i.e. not taking his "gift" or "advice")

Last week, he made so many comments about why whats-her-face should have brought 3 people. I think that the only reason she wasn't fired was that everyone else ripped on whats-his-face instead.

This week, he basically bullied Ivana into taking 3 people, and almost started to use the same arguments as last week. Unfortunately, Bradford caught the brunt of his anger this week.

It's turning into "you don't like what i offered? you're fired"

I'm really expecting him to fire the project manager one week with Trump using "you should have brought 3 people instead" as his main reason.

This show will soon turn into "The Benefactor"
Old 09-18-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

blah, you don't pass up a sure thing, at least not a sure BIG thing in the biz world and with in the frame work of the game he passed up a 100% sure safe, winner level move.. just dumb..

I have first hand seen this same issue get a new head guy of a want-a-be start up (as in they tried to start up and failed) canned.. Guy was money hunting for the company, kept finding money and offers, kept PASSING up the sure money for the next big thing.. Even when the "almost" company was just sinking into debt. Even when being TOLD by the founding members to take what was on the table, company needs it.. "Oh but I don't think that is a direction we need to focus on, we need to aim for...." and he was fired a few days later..

Same thing issue.. Passing on the sure thing.. so it happens..

Of course in the case of the show I also think trump will spin whatever he can for better tv or at least what he thinks will be better tv.. Being in the end all that really maters to him is the show and the rating, not like it really maters who wins the game as far as the job goes when the show is over..
Old 09-18-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think that most of you are giving Bradford way too much credit. There were a few things going against him:
1) NO ONE liked him. That included his female teammates and the guys. They all thought that he was a prick. One of the qualities of a leader is that you have to be likeable enough to lead your workers and that quality he sorely lacked
2) In the first task, he really did a poor job as a leader despite the fact that he won. He was trying to be a dictator and that style doesn't always flow esp when you're a guy with 8 females.
3) In the board room he called Carolyn the wrong name. She gave him stupid faces from that point on. She clearly didn't like him after that incident.
4) He sold out his own team in the boardroom. He did what that Asian girl did last year and basically said that his teammates were all morons. He knew that he had immunity so he had the right to talk and blab and say that he was awesome and that everyone else was an idiot. Even if he did last through this week, his teammates would've hated him even more cuz he was undermining the team. In that situation, I would've kept my mouth shut cuz if he didn't say anything, he would've been fine. Instead he acted all cocky and basically gave himself a chance to lose a no lose situation.
5) He gave up his immunity. He may have been the best salesman for this task but what a moronic move that was. In business, if he's gonna lead a company, he can't take idiotic risks like that esp. when the risk/reward is zero.

True he was a good salesman, but he lacked in basically every other category.

I think that if he didn't go, Trump would've fired Ivana cuz she was a poor leader, he hates her name, and he wants to keep Stacy J around as a villain type figure. (She's more of an idiot than a villain).

Like someone else posted, Trump wanted the Project Mgr to bring in a third person so that the blame could be passed onto another person to decrease the PM's chances of getting fired (from 33% to 25%). He did this with Pamela last week as well so it wasn't focused specifically on her but all the PMs.

Ivana was obviously gonna bring in Stacy J cuz she wanted her gone. She didn't know who else to bring in so she brought in Bradford when he made his retarded move. She just brought in the third talkative girl cuz she was hoping tha she could use that girl to tag team on Stacy J. Her plan was to get Stacy J fired plain and simple.

To the poster that said that Stacy J looks like Cameron Diaz, you must be smokin' some good ish
Old 09-18-04, 05:09 PM

Too many people are talking about the firing.

How about the excellent job of management by Kelly, and the nice gesture to get the entire profit to the charity. I really enjoyed the raid of the Dunkin Donuts, the Howard Stern-ish tactics of getting a good looking girl to dish the ice cream, and that they actually managed to keep both the carts together. Plus, tell me you don't want some donut ice cream.
Old 09-18-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dabaomb
3) In the board room he called Carolyn the wrong name. She gave him stupid faces from that point on. She clearly didn't like him after that incident.
When he told Trump that he wasn't going to blow smoke up his ass her reaction was classic.
Old 09-18-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dabaomb

To the poster that said that Stacy J looks like Cameron Diaz, you must be smokin' some good ish
That would be me.
Though I didn't realize it when I made the statement originally, someone
mentioned Cameron's appearance in
Being John Malkovich. I think that's the movie that inspired the statement. Didn't Cameron have rather frizzy hair? Would someone be willing to
post a screen shot?
Old 09-18-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That was me with the BJM comparison of Cameron Diaz and Stacie. Trust me, it's appropo.

Well, even the added bits at the very end of tonight's replay after telling the toadies to get out of the boardroom, Trump and the gang were patting themselves on their backs, though Carolyn did complain that she was really tired from the boardroom activities.

The added footage did help crystalize how dumb Bradford was in not shutting his yap. Jen C also came across as someone who just has to add her 2 cents no matter what.
Old 09-18-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The point was that in business you don't give up a strategic advantage if you don't need to, and if you do give up the advantage, it can cost you and your company.

I agree. It was the reasoning behind what he did that got Trump to get rid of him. And I got a sense that he wanted to see what the others would do. I thought for a moment that Ivana would stand up and say "No." Again, a test of leadership and just not survival. And of strength. She failed that also.

Good points Dabomb.

Last edited by Preacher; 09-18-04 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-19-04, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thaught the boradroom was the best ever. I think Bradford got kicked out for being really really stupid and arrogant despite being the best salesman on the task. It's as if Trump was saying to himself I can't believe this guy has a bigger ego than I do..He's gotta go!!

I may be in the minority but I liked Stacie J. I thaught she handled herself very well despite everyone showing how weak they are by ganging up on her. All she did was give the wrong street address that's it. Big deal!. Why should she get fired over that.??

..And i think when Trump asked her if she runs her own restaurant in Harlem he was trying to get some insight to the fact that maybe she's not very popular with this group but you know whay she CAN run a business. After all isn't that why they're all there??

Give the girl a break ya'll!!

Ps..Anyone else get turned on when Trump's secretary Robin says "You can go in now". She always says it with a naughty smile

Last edited by shanester; 09-19-04 at 09:58 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.