Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Annoying Television Commercials

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-04, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying Television Commercials

Right now the TV Commercial I find most irritating is the Oral-B Brush Up thing. (The little green thing you slip over your finger and wipe your teeth with it.

The song is annoying: "Tear - Slip - Brush - Ahh!"

And everytime they show you them wiping their teeth and flinging their arms to the sides and having their head facing to the side and saying "Ahh!"

The white and Asian lady really go overboard in how they do it.

And everytime this commercial comes on I can't help but think - that after slipping the thing on their finger - that they should then wipe a certain body part and then wipe their teeth and say Ahh! Now that would be funny.

What commercial do you find annoying right now?
Old 08-01-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Dr. Scholls gellin' commercials by far. I thought I was done with them but today I see the new one of them on the floor of the stock exchange or whatever.

So lame.
Old 08-01-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"WARNING...WARNING"

*sirens* *alarm bells*

PRICE CRASH ALERT!

We're drastically overstocked! The new 2005 models are rolling onto the lot and we have to clear out our entire inventory!

The manager is on vacation in Hawaii and we're OVERSTOCKED! NO OFFER REFUSED!

Did I mention? WE'VE LOST OUR LEASE!!!! EVERYTHING MUST GO!
BAD CREDIT? NO CREDIT? NO PROBLEM!

Offer limited to stock on hand; inventory contains 1 1994 model Ford Taurus, used. Stock # 48372037
Every local station has their own variation on this... but I find them highly irritating. I also find it amusing, thinking about how poorly managed that car lot must be...
Old 08-01-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That dumb car commerical with the big car hauling truck going down and doing a stunt move. It would be fine if I didn't see it every other five minutes.

-------------

The best:

All Geico commericals and the boost mobile one with the old people and the old lady saying something of the sort to:

"Let's two way Alicia and I was like, Hellz yeah." and then the two old geezers grinding on another old chick.
Old 08-01-04, 04:32 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

The most annoying commercial right now is the new Pepto Bismol commercials.

The stupid dance they do to the song listing all the symptoms...
Old 08-01-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Easy.

"Can you hear me now?"
Old 08-01-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Car commercials. So many yet all so boring.
Old 08-01-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Vryce

Exactly the ones I was going to mention.
Old 08-01-04, 07:12 PM

I can't take another viewing of the Ovaltine commercial with the overly perky woman serving the kids. It won't die. I can't tell if they're being deliberately irritating and peppy (hard to tell when so much on tv is tinged with irony), or if it's just really that lame.
Old 08-01-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those commercials for new prescription drugs... However they don't describe a thing about what it does. They just show some woman running in a field and the ad says at the end "Ask your Doctor about xxx"
Old 08-01-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Vryce

I think the one in the office at the copier is funny. That old dude fanning his ass.

Old 08-01-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Darkfriend
Those commercials for new prescription drugs... However they don't describe a thing about what it does. They just show some woman running in a field and the ad says at the end "Ask your Doctor about xxx"
Because they can't say what it does, unless they then mention all the ingredients and side-effects. Neither of which make a great ad.
Old 08-01-04, 09:44 PM

This topic was brought up a while back. I said it then, and it still holds true: Bob Rooooooooohrman commercials suck the worst!

Part of their suckitude is that they all star Bob himself:

Last edited by mverleg1; 08-01-04 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-01-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The yogurt commercials. "Favorite song on the radio good."
Old 08-01-04, 10:52 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, after reading this thread, I am even more happy with my Tivo. I only recognize one of the listed commercials.
Old 08-01-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Annoying Television Commercials

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DouglasRobert
[B]Right now the TV Commercial I find most irritating is the Oral-B Brush Up thing. (The little green thing you slip over your finger and wipe your teeth with it.

I not only hate that commercial I hate the product. I had a free sample that I tried and thought it was one of the most stupid products ever sold.

I also hate all the commercials with the line " I saved a lot on my insurance ".
Old 08-02-04, 12:25 AM

Re: Annoying Television Commercials

Originally posted by DouglasRobert
Right now the TV Commercial I find most irritating is the Oral-B Brush Up thing. (The little green thing you slip over your finger and wipe your teeth with it.

And everytime they show you them wiping their teeth and flinging their arms to the sides and having their head facing to the side and saying "Ahh!"

The white and Asian lady really go overboard in how they do it.

And everytime this commercial comes on I can't help but think - that after slipping the thing on their finger - that they should then wipe a certain body part and then wipe their teeth and say Ahh! Now that would be funny.
Oh, know!! I can't stand that commercial! So dramatic it sucks!

I can't stand the A1 commercial where this man is on this thing that goes in circles. Can't decribe it but I think the air force use this to test how the pilots do in G-forces. Anyway, the man has the bottle in hand and piece of steak in the other. Now the bottle is open and in the other hand, as piece of steak on the fork. Unitl finally a drop of sauce hits the steak.

The device is stopped and the man finally eats his steak piece!
Old 08-02-04, 05:39 AM
Banned

If you live in Chicago it is definitely those peter francis gerasi commercials. But nationally i'd say that Six Flags Commercial with the old guy. It got on my nerves real quick.
Old 08-02-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by conscience

All Geico commericals ....

I watch Geico commercials and wonder what brain-dead ad executive thought it would be a good idea to sell an insurance company with "cute" commercials showing people being totally insensitive to the problems of someone. "Insensitive to problems" is NOT what you want from your insurance company!
Old 08-02-04, 09:07 AM

Re: Re: Annoying Television Commercials

Originally posted by vallerie
Oh, know!! I can't stand that commercial! So dramatic it sucks!

I can't stand the A1 commercial where this man is on this thing that goes in circles. Can't decribe it but I think the air force use this to test how the pilots do in G-forces. Anyway, the man has the bottle in hand and piece of steak in the other. Now the bottle is open and in the other hand, as piece of steak on the fork. Unitl finally a drop of sauce hits the steak.

The device is stopped and the man finally eats his steak piece!
I hate that one, but for an entirely different reason...

The thing he's on (centrifuge, I think it's called... that's what the test-tube sized ones are called, at least) has him feeling G forces that are pushing his skin back, which makes sense. While from the videos I've seen of their actual use, it's a little bit of an exaggeration, but it's not overly irritating. What really bothers me is the fact that while his face and body are feeling the G forces pushing him back, the steak sauce is forced out of the bottle on a direction that's 90 degrees different! If anything, any sauce in the bottle should have gotten pushed towards the side of the bottle. Any that got out should have hit him instead of miraculously flying sideways.

The commercials that really have been bugging me lately are for some credit card company. The ones I've seen feature two people in some sort of awkward situation (one woman thinking another woman is pregnant when she's just chubby, a girlfriend bothering her boyfriend about when they're going to get married, etc), and the situation is not only magically defused by one of the people randomly saying "thank you" to the other, but the person on the receiving end of the "thank you" is just so happy after hearing it.

The new Old Navy "kid excited about mowing the lawn" commercial is also pretty bad.
Old 08-02-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Boot •

The yogurt commercials. "Favorite song on the radio good."
We may have a winner. Some commercials are just bad, but that one is incredibly annoying.

das
Old 08-02-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gnradd21
I can't take another viewing of the Ovaltine commercial with the overly perky woman serving the kids. It won't die. I can't tell if they're being deliberately irritating and peppy (hard to tell when so much on tv is tinged with irony), or if it's just really that lame.
YES! Thank you! I can't rap my brain around it either.
Old 08-02-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hands-down is has to be those Corti-slim diet drug commercials with that anoying and condescending Dr. Sea Anemone or whatever he's called.

He says some real doozies in these ads like cooing "It's not your fault you can't lose weight." (Really? Even if you ate 4 Big Macs for lunch?!?). Or in another one he talks about diet ads that feature models and "what would THEY know about dieting?" (Um, I'm guessing most models spend every waking minute dieting.)

These ads bug on so many levels. Anyone else seen them? They run them a lot on CNN and other cable/satellite channels.
Old 08-02-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Jadzia •

Anyone else seen them? They run them a lot on CNN and other cable/satellite channels.
Never heard of them.

das

P.S. No offense, but this is not for the casual dieter. If you can easily lose 10-15 pounds, then this product is not for you. Sea Anemone I think it's Greg Cynamoun or something.
Old 08-02-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Annoying Television Commercials

Originally posted by xVladx

The new Old Navy "kid excited about mowing the lawn" commercial is also pretty bad.
Agreed. I've never liked *any* of Old Navy's commercials. Although the dog was cute.

And yes, the DVR really does help, I ff through almost all commercials unless it's for a product I'm already interested in, or it's eye catching. I read where some ad agencies are considering filming/broadcasting commercials in slow-motion, so they move at the right speed when people FF through them.

Ironically, as much as I hate stupid commercials [which most of them are], I find myself missing Adcritic.com. You could catch the few interesting, creative commercials [or the train wreck ones, the ones that are so bad you can't help but watch]. And I can't imagine how they couldn't figure out how to turn that website into a moneymaker.

One of the CortiSlim commercials on the local AM station has "Dr." Anemone saying something like 'You're fat, you know it and I know it. Let's do something about it."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.