Smallville - 05/12/04

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Smallville - 05/12/04

"Forsaken"

Spoiler:
Clark decides to tell Lana his secret so they can finally be together; an errant FBI agent (Gary Hudson) kidnaps and tortures Pete to try to force him to reveal Clark's secret.

Cast: Tom Welling, Kristin Kreuk, Michael Rosenbaum, Sam Jones III, Allison Mack, John Schneider, Annette O'Toole, John Glover, Gary Hudson.
Director(s): Terrence O'Hara.
Producer(s): Alfred Gough, Miles Millar.
Writer(s): Brian Peterson, Kelly Souders.

Original Airdate: May 12, 2004.
Old 05-12-04, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That summary sounds too good to be true.
Old 05-12-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Astro
That summary sounds too good to be true.

Yeah - I just hope there is no twist to it - like he tells her and she gets conked on the head and comes down with selective amnesia.
Old 05-12-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Red Dog
Yeah - I just hope there is no twist to it - like he tells her and she gets conked on the head and comes down with selective amnesia.
you mean he kisses her and she forgets
Old 05-12-04, 05:31 PM

Well, if the show's history is any indication, here are the likely scenarios if Clark finally tells Lana.

- She dies. Unlikely, but we can hope.

- She's put into a coma. Less likely, and while I'd like to think that this would reduce her screentime, I'd be afraid of endless "Clark and comatose Lana in a hospital room" scenes. At least the long pauses between lines would make more sense, though.

- Convenient amnesia. I'd say that this is the most likely scenario. Some handy plot device will completely erase Lana's memory of the truth.

- She's slowly written out of the show, because the writers can't figure out anything interesting to do with a character that knows Clark's secret. See Pete for examples.
Old 05-12-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great, the return of another freak of the week (this time it's Janitor's daughter).

Old 05-12-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bye-bye Sam Jones III. Enjoy your next acting gig.
Old 05-12-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
While I disliked the "freak of the week" portion, all the rest was pretty decent.

You have to feel for Clark having to give up his closest friends due to the danger his presence in their lives attracts.

Lex gets Lionel up on murder charges (whether the evidence will stick is another matter).
Old 05-12-04, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You knew Clark wouldn't tell Lana after what happened Pete - oh well, I didn't think it would happen anyhow.

Next week looks interesting to say the least.
Old 05-12-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The person who put together next week's preview should get an Emmy because my appetite is totally whetted.
Old 05-12-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The subplot with the Luthors proved a little more compelling than the rest of the story arc. Clark dodged a bullet with Lana missing her date with him, and then there was the payoff at the end with Pete telling Clark how difficult (and dangerous) it is keeping his secret. In a matter of minutes, Clark lost his best friend and Lana all because of his secret (Pete knows/Lana is always in the dark).

I felt Emily wasn't really needed for this story, other than using her as "bait" to get Lana. But at least Lana gave me a good idea whenever I have unwanted guests over for tea.

The laser bolt heat vision/water was a nice f/x, too. Next week looks promising.
Old 05-12-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tonight's episode: meh.

I don't know who that girl was, or any of the setup with her dad/lionel whatever. I just turned my brain off and quit trying. They can't honestly expect me to peice together bits like that about a freak-of-the-week from the beggining of the season. And certainly not when they give her the same ability that they gave that Harmony-looking chick that straddled clark earlier in the year. It's all starting to run together.

Correct me if i'm wrong. But didn't Lana say JUST LAST WEEK that she sold her part of the Talon to Chloe's dad? And she said something about him looking for some job to do now that he was fired from the plant? And that he would leave it exactly as it was? ... I couldn't have imagined something that stupid.

Pretty Poor episode. Especially considering its the second to last this season.

Originally posted by B.A.
Bye-bye Sam Jones III. Enjoy never acting again.
Fixed
Old 05-12-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did Lana's cell have a toilet in it?
Old 05-12-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was also wondering if Lana's cell had a toilet in it? Perhaps the FOTW that previously inhabited it had magic poop that went through the floor right to the sewer?

This episode was way too weak for this close to the end of the season. This is filler crap for the middle of the season. Why can't the writers come up with a good story arc and go with that for the season finale, like Deep Space Nine or some other shows. The episodes comprising the final end of this season have been to sporadic in quality. The Luthor subplot was the only thing interesting in this episode.

Glad Pete is gone. He had the worst episodes ever this season. Bye, Pete, don't let the door hit ya where the Lord split ya.
Old 05-12-04, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by calhoun07
Why can't the writers come up with a good story arc and go with that for the season finale, like Deep Space Nine or some other shows.
...Or like Smallville last year. The finale episode was basically 3 episodes long. And then took 2 or 3 to wrap up at the beggining of this season. I don't see how they can build a really good dramatic cliffhanger in ONE episode. Unless Pete is Pregnant.
Old 05-12-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally posted by B.A.
Bye-bye Sam Jones III. Enjoy your next acting gig.
Make it big in a genre piece... never be heard from again.

It must suck to be named Sam Jones

Old 05-12-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really thought this was a poor lead-in to the season finale.

Was Lana asleep or just not paying attention when Clark ran off to stop Emily? Seems like she would have had to have seen or just heard that mighty whoooosh? Made their final scene sorta anti-climactic to me.

After the conversation with Pete, we all knew Clark would not have the courage to tell Lana everything. I really wish they would dump their "romance" and just move on.

I will watch next weeks episode, just not sure if I will like it.
Old 05-12-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally posted by cdoug57
Was Lana asleep or just not paying attention when Clark ran off to stop Emily?
She was passed out from the chlorine gas
Old 05-12-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY

Correct me if i'm wrong. But didn't Lana say JUST LAST WEEK that she sold her part of the Talon to Chloe's dad? And she said something about him looking for some job to do now that he was fired from the plant? And that he would leave it exactly as it was? ... I couldn't have imagined something that stupid.

Ok, I'll correct you since you're wrong. Chloe and her father were one of many people interested in buying the Talon and they wanted to keep it as is. The only reason is because Chloe wanted to save it was because it was a place that Chloe and her friends used to hang out and BS. She never really was interested in the actual business part of it.
Old 05-12-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yeah, IIRC Lana said she turned 'em down.
Originally posted by Patman
The person who put together next week's preview should be drawn and quartered.
FIXED.

This wasn't as bad as past episodes have been. I really don't think Pete's gone. He'll be back. As far as Lana's concerned, I really don't know [or care] what's going to happen. In the comic book, she knew his secret. Only she knew his secret cuz she figured it out. Also, I found it ridiculous that Joe FBI flip flopped back and forth so easily [and that Lex was so willing to hand the evidence he had against his father to a CROOKED AGENT WORKING FOR HIS FATHER...].
Old 05-12-04, 10:19 PM

I'm just glad i didn't make it up. For a second I was afraid i was becoming as unimaginative as the show's writers.
Old 05-12-04, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
Also, I found it ridiculous that Joe FBI flip flopped back and forth so easily [and that Lex was so willing to hand the evidence he had against his father to a CROOKED AGENT WORKING FOR HIS FATHER...].
While I'm sure there was another copy of the evidence (all he handed him was a transcript, after all), it was uncharacteristically sloppy for Lex to do that.

Smallville is really starting to drag on me. I'm at the point where I'm watching it out of obligation, like when you sit through the rest of a bad movie just because you've already watched the first hour and a half.

Silly things that caught my attention...

- How did little miss "emotional development of a child" manage to build that glass box in such a short time? Not only that, but it have been pretty difficult to put together, and I doubt it was cheap.

- The whole Clark/Lana thing is really starting to blur for me, but didn't they leave things off last with her saying that she should stay away from him (after the horse trampling)? If that's the case, then what's with it being portrayed like it was Clark's idea?
Old 05-12-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Decent episode, nothing particulary bad, although it was obvious that Clark wasn't going to reveal his secret to Lana. Looking forward to the season finale.
Old 05-12-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
An ok episode. Nice foreshadow as Pete thanks Lex for saving his arse. Another FOTW comes back and has to be subdued. Meh. At least they're trying to clean up the past.
Old 05-12-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good episode. I think Pete is leaving the show, right? Well, Clark has good reason for not telling Lana his secret. Don't want someone to torture Lana for his secret like they did to Pete.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.