Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - 4/20/04 - "Music of Barry Manilow"

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who are your BOTTOM THREE tonight?
Please select for your BOTTOM THREE
7.14%
Fantasia Barrino
22.62%
Diana DeGarmo
52.38%
Jennifer Hudson
29.76%
George Huff
46.43%
LaToya London
10.71%
John Stevens
72.62%
Jasmine Trias
29.76%
twikoff writes the songs
5.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol - 4/20/04 - "Music of Barry Manilow"

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-04, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason I want red to win is that I'm HONESTLY curious now what he'd do without all the pressure, with more than a weeks time to prepare, with the full undivided attention of a voice coach and producer.

That and the great comedy that his winning would bring in commentary from the media.

Fantasia? We'll hear from her again. Like I've said elsewhere, she'll still be doing this 30 years from now.

Jennifer? We'll here from her again as well. She improved so rapidly, and had such range. Her early boot has made her a star in Chicago---with everyone from Oprah to the local DJ's volunteering their money and influence to get her everything she needs to take it to the next level.

LaToya? Quite likely.

George? Maybe.

It's all decided already. The only thing is the speed of it happening. Iff America doesn't want to see them on the show--thats democracy, and thats America, and I guess that will have to do. I'll just enjoy the CD's and MP3's from the show, head back to my iPod, and wait for their albums and wait for next season. It sucks, but thats life.

The owner of the site will miss me. He liked all the pageviews and eyeballs I generated for him and his ads by posting so many times.

Last edited by gettinbranded; 04-23-04 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-23-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Teen Martin will win. I found an easy way to vote many time for him. I set up an old computer with a 2400 baud modem to call his number over and over for each of the two 2 hour voting windows. I average about 4 calls a minute since it usually ends up making about 250-300 calls every tuesday. A couple friends thought this was pretty cool so i'm going to set them up as well. put a to use those old crappy modems.
I guess i better way to do it would be to have free text messaging and write a macro for a fancy cell phone that would just keep sending in the text message over and over. you could probably get one out ever second or two resulting in 3000-7000 votes in a 2 hour block.
Old 04-23-04, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by DaveNinja
Teen Martin will win. I found an easy way to vote many time for him. I set up an old computer with a 2400 baud modem to call his number over and over for each of the two 2 hour voting windows. I average about 4 calls a minute since it usually ends up making about 250-300 calls every tuesday.

How many get through, vs. how many being busy?
Old 04-23-04, 04:59 PM
Suspended

I'm rooting for Red at this point, only because I want to see the fall out afterwards
Old 04-23-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MJKTool
Anyone else think Red will win this year?
About as likely as the Lakers' chances.
Old 04-23-04, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
He's gonna do it, huh?
Old 04-23-04, 05:16 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Hot damn its gonna be funny when Red wins then!!!
Old 04-23-04, 07:07 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I doubt Red will win, I hoping its going to be Jasime.....I think she's pretty cute......oh yeah, its a singing contest right?
Old 04-24-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, AI is just a show. Everyone is so worked up on the politics.
Old 04-24-04, 07:55 AM

Jennifer Hudson, a 22-year-old cruise singer from Chicago, was "American Idol" judge Randy Jackson's choice from the wild-card round to join the final 12, and she made him proud with performances the judges felt got better each week. Hudson even earned the most votes one week, which made her elimination all the more surprising.

Q: Your departure is being compared to Tamyra Gray's as the most shocking in "American Idol" history. There have been all sorts of theories, from a power outage in Chicago to a racial divide. What do you think of some of these theories and do you have a theory of your own?

Jennifer Hudson: Who knows? Nobody knows what really happened, but I feel like whatever it is, it was meant to be. Right now, everybody's just trying to make sense of all this, so there's a lot of stuff thrown out there. But I don't think we'll ever know. ... I don't think it was based on talent, but if it was, I was robbed.

Q: Has anyone told you they couldn't get through because of a power outage?

Hudson: I have a lot of brothers and sisters and ... five of them had their phones completely go out. My mother's phone went out and she didn't want to tell me so I wouldn't worry about not getting any votes. She told me there was a tornado in Chicago on Tuesday, but it didn't occur me to that duh, the lines might be out, people can't vote. You know what, though, I feel like that storm was a sign from God that it was time to remove me. And when he got something to say, I ain't got nothing to say about it.

Q: Everyone seemed so in shock. What did the other contestants say to you?

Hudson: I was comforting everyone. They're crying and I'm like, "Why you crying? There's no need to cry." I feel like I did what I came to do. There's no need to be sad. I swear when they called my name I don't think anybody was breathing in the room.

Complete 'Idol' Coverage

Q: What did John Stevens say to you?

Hudson: He was like, "It should have been me." He always says that every week. But I don't think he should feel that way. He deserves to be there just as much as me or anybody else. We all feel he deserves to be there. He has fans just like we do and obviously they're voting. Instead of pointing fingers at him, [fans] should take heed to what his fans are doing and vote.

Q: The word "diva" sometimes carries a certain connotation with it. Do you think being referred to as "the three divas" with Fantasia and La Toya hurt your chances?

Hudson: Actually, I normally have a problem with the term "diva" but I think if anything, that gave us more attention. Long before "American Idol" people used to call me a diva. And I be like, "Hold on, are you calling me something else on the sly? You gonna call me a diva, call me a good diva." So somebody made up the name "The Good Diva." I'm a good person, I don't have a lot of demands, so call me the Good Diva.

Q: It was clear the three of you thought you were in the safe group. What went through your mind when you found out the opposite was true?

Hudson: It's funny now that I think about it, 'cause everybody thought we were safe and we did too. It was like, "What, are you serious?" That was a shocker, but finding out I was the one who was eliminated was not shocking at all. Not because I don't think I did a good job, because I know I did, but I never received any props or accolades from any of the judges and they always gave me a hard time, so it wasn't an easy ride for me at all. I wasn't pissed, it was just like, "Here we go with the games once again. Man, they don't stop." To be honest, I was very fed up with it, which is why I was relieved that I was eliminated. If I can't be appreciated where I'm at, then let me go.

Q: Who will you be rooting for?

Hudson: For me, my American Idol is George Huff. That's just my personal opinion. He is someone everyone should know.
Old 04-24-04, 05:19 PM

i wrote a lot...lol

It may be a talent contest, but you have to like the people, and I didn't like Jennifer Hudson all that much. Image isn't everything, but it is one important part of a good pop idol. I liked Kelly, Clay, and Ruben. Jennifer always seemed to have too much of a chip on her shoulder, this diva attitude which I can barely tolerate even if the person can really sing. She almost acted like she could care less if people liked her or not. Her voice was ok, but not nearly as strong as some of the other women from this and past seasons (La Toya, Fantasia, Kelly, Tamyra). I'm not going to rant about her bug-eyed stares or that ugly dress from one of the early episodes, beause those aren't important. But I do think the reason she got the fewest votes was less for her voice and more for her personality. She wasn't as abrasive and loudmouthed as Fantasia can be, but she wasn't doing much to make people want to root for her either. At least, not me.

Plus, I think she lost some votes by naming Sister Act 2 as her favorite movie.

Fantasia is hard to define for me. Her voice and attitude have irritated me at times, but I do acknowledge that she can sing. I think her tears in the "Summertime" performance fooled some people into thinking it was better than it really was, though. After Randy overhyped it, I went back and watched it. Nope, still didn't move me in any way. It was aiight (wus up, Randy, how you doin'? ), but I actually like some of her other performances much better. Her last three have been my least favorite. And whoever decided to speed up and churchify "It's a Miracle" was smoking some of the funky stuff (sorry, Manilow, if it was your idea). It just didn't work for me, and I was ready for it to be over when she started the "yeah yeah yeah..."s. So, I wasn't in shock when she was in the final three. The "oh, look what a cute baby" deal didn't make her performance any better, either. It annoyed me more than anything.

I don't think La Toya belonged in the bottom three, but while she has the best voice I think maybe her song choice was the problem. I thought Diana and Jasmine's song choices, while a bit vanilla and bland, were much prettier and actually more memorable to me than La Toya's. All I remember of her performance was a lot of lung use at the end with the big notes. Yawn...

Maybe it's just an individual thing. Some people just come across as more likeable. George and Red just seem to be naturally sweet guys who are appealing to be around, and I think that's a main reason why they've stuck around and have fan clubs and rabid followings. George, in all honesty, is no Otis Redding or Al Green, and I almost agree with Simon that his voice is perfect....for a backup singer. But he's so likeable that people seem to forgive rough patches and bad notes. It's only with the great song choices (like "Take Me To The Pilot" and "Always and Forever") that I've thought, "Maybe I could listen to a whole album of his singing."

Everyone knows Red is the oddball in the group, but that may have helped him. He can't exactly be lumped in with the big-voiced r&b divas (including Diana and Jasmine), and he doesn't have the throaty soul of Huff. He's young but retro, seems innocent and huggable, and obviously has earned fans both young and old. He sticks out like Conan O'Brien at a DMX concert, but he has a naive charm that is undeniably appealing. He's not the freakshow that William Hung is, but he is different from the pack and I think that has helped him immensely. The Teen Martin vocal style is wearing thin, but somehow he has managed to win over both the geezers and teen girls who like pasty redheads. The voice is often weak, but his last two performances have been perfect for him. Anyone who thinks he has a chance to win is crazy, though. I don't see him standing a chance of being in the top three after salsa night. If he tries to do "Conga" or some upbeat number, he'll be laughably bad. The only way he stands a chance is by doing an Enrique or Ricky Martin-style Latin ballad, and even then I think he's still gone. It's been fun, though. Good luck on the lounge circuit.

I actually do see the Stan Laurel similarity, in his smile especially.

Last edited by gnradd21; 04-24-04 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 06:18 PM

Nice post.