Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - 4/20/04 - "Music of Barry Manilow"

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who are your BOTTOM THREE tonight?
Please select for your BOTTOM THREE
7.14%
Fantasia Barrino
22.62%
Diana DeGarmo
52.38%
Jennifer Hudson
29.76%
George Huff
46.43%
LaToya London
10.71%
John Stevens
72.62%
Jasmine Trias
29.76%
twikoff writes the songs
5.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol - 4/20/04 - "Music of Barry Manilow"

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wasn't all that crazy about Fantasia pulling the mommie card when they brought her child on stage for her while mommie was pulling for votes. Nikki did this on the first season, and it just seemed forced and orchestrated.
Old 04-21-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Patman
I didn't recognize half of the songs sung last night. I wished they would have picked less obscure song.

Diana - range is a problem as she just gets louder, not higher when she needs to kick it in another gear.

George - horrible rendition, got lost in the song, was too ambitious with the melody, voice too too gravelly.

Jennifer - still just sings too low for my tastes, it's like she's singing at a low growl for the first part of the songs and then she goes louder as well, but her upper registers aren't that great either.

Jasmine - sounded better, but destroyed the melody of that song as well, and did get out of breath.

La Toya - has a knack of picking boring songs to sing, and this week was no exception. She's competent, but I don't sense a fire burning from within her.

John - gave it a shot, but just too inexperienced to impart that song with any form of sincerity and true grit.

Fantasia - has a problem with her voice cracking and getting far too raspy and George-like, makes for an unpleasant listening experience in spots. Just because you can work a crowd doesn't mean you can put out a good performance in the studio.
Vote 'em all off!!!
Old 04-21-04, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's over.

Latoya is the best, followed by Jennifer, Fantasia, George and Jasmine.
Old 04-21-04, 09:50 AM

USATODAY agrres with you guys:

The "battle of the divas," as Simon Cowell aptly characterized the current competition, seems to be compelling all the women to pile on the note-stretching and overemoting and to try to outdo each other for the ultimate dramatic big finish. This tendency is especially painful when demonstrated by Diana DeGarmo or Jasmine Trias, who aren't remotely in the class of their three female competitors. But it's growing tiresome to hear La Toya London, Fantasia Barrino and Jennifer Hudson wail as if harpooned at the end of every song.
However, this unbiased source says:

Jennifer and La Toya sang beefy ballads, Jennifer pulling out all the stops from the start while La Toya showed some restraint and command until her own overwrought big finish.

If I had to choose a winning performance, it would be Fantasia's concluding It's a Miracle, which she plowed through in a somewhat tuneless but irresistibly rhythmic fashion, all the more effective for its contrast to the six gloppy ballads that preceded it.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...ol-recap_x.htm
Old 04-21-04, 09:51 AM

Wow, Fantasia really let them rip at the end of her song: yeah yeah yeaaah, ye yea yeah yeah, yeah yeaaah, yah ye ye yeaahh. Ugh.

I don't think bringing out her daughter will be an advantage for her at all - it can only hurt with the teen vote.
Old 04-21-04, 09:55 AM

WooHoo! More music pros think like me.

Another article:

The Idol stage, however, has a trapdoor. Aiken, in the lead with 2.5 million albums sold, "probably won't have a lasting and meaningful career," Marks says. "Kelly has juice left, but none of them will be around much longer, and they don't necessarily deserve to be."

Kim Buie, a talent scout for the Lost Highway label, agrees
that Idol's fruits are perishable.

--

Barrino may be the first Idol to fulfill the show's promise of discovering genuine talent, Marks says.

Her Summertime last week "was a great, deep version that reminded me of soul and jazz singers of the '60s, like Nancy Wilson," he says. "Fantasia is way out front, and the rest are glorified karaoke singers, so the contest will be a charade" till the finale May 26.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...dol-main_x.htm
Old 04-21-04, 09:59 AM

Idol report card:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...reportcard.htm
Old 04-21-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ugh, I don't know why people are putting Jennifer in the top category, all she knows how to do is wail. I'm getting SO sick of hearing her scream. Please just STOP.

I love Fantasia, I hope she takes the cake. Latoya is good, but no personality. Fantasia has the all around Idol persona.

Diana and Jasmine, they sound too immature with their voices. Maybe a few more years of lessons and then they MIGHT be ready. The just don't seem to have the "it" factor.

I actually though George did pretty good. But since he doesn't scream like a girl, then I don't think the judges are paying attention anymore. They seem to like the wails and screams of the women.
Old 04-21-04, 11:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Anybody know how the good folks at USA TODAY felt about last night's show?
Old 04-21-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I missed sections of the show last night, so until I watch them on the Replay, I'll keep my comments minimal.

From what I saw, Jennifer was the best performer (not having seen Latoya yet). A few thoughts:

John Stevens- Actually probably the best performance he has given and a good one to go out on. Manilow really did seem to help him with the phrasing since it seemed more like a mildly competent rendition of a pop song instead of another retread through the Rat Pack music machinery.

Fantasia - I love the voice but what was that train wreck last night. The melody was non-existent, lively or not. Made me even sadder than George's lackluster performance last night.

Diana and Jasmine were overall terrible. Where did the praise come from since it was not from the singing.

Two larger points:

- I'm really getting sick of the obvious attempt to sway votes. Simon, I guess, believes that the Leno line must have worked last time since he attempted it again. And the way he danced around the mediocrity of Fantasia's performance ("You know..this competition wouldn't the same without you" schtick). I think Simon really does want a Divas competition and is gearing things towards it.

- This years performers either want to sound bad or have not a single idea how to pick or perform a song suitable to their voices. George would have killed on "Could This be the Magic." Fantasia picked the right song but shouldn't have played with the arrangment (it was already about as "funky" as Manilow gets). LaToya needs to tackle something fun again (like she did on Country night) because while very competent, it is getting a bit sleepy...like Tarantino said with Fantasia, enough already with the Great Ladies of Song tour. All in all, it really makes me miss last year's group. Even Constipation Face (Josh gracin) tried to mix it up and had a decent idea of what worked with his voice.

And one last point: Went back and re-listened to Fantasia's "Summertime" from last week. Good voice, mediocre performance. Seemed like an imitation of someone else without looking for any meaning in the song. Not even close to worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as the Miles Davis verison.

Guess that wasn't so minimal.
Old 04-21-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by iggystar
I love Fantasia and would love to see her win, I don't see that happening, but I'd still love it.

Next, LaToya and Jennifer.

But at this point it looks like LaToya has a shot. She's a wonderful singer but I'm so tired of the wonderfully voiced diva, don't we have enough of those already? Bored to tears.

I could shout a song for you, but I wouldn't sound good. IMHO Fantasia does have a melodious voice and it's different.
So you'd rather have the mediocre-voiced uber-diva (Fantasia)?

You Fantasia fans must have took the 4/20 thing to heart.
Old 04-21-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I don't watch this show, but who was the chick that slaughtered "Weekend In New England"..?

Terrible.
Old 04-21-04, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Goldberg74
BTW: What did Paula do to her arm?
Just read this in the New York Post:

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/19191.htm
"American Idol" judge Paula Abdul is nursing a sore paw after having the nail on her right thumb removed because of an infection. Abdul underwent surgery at Cedars Sinai Hospital Monday after a manicure went awry.

"I just got a manicure and they punctured me. I'm in a bit of pain," Abdul told "Entertainment Tonight." "It's throbbing. I had surgery to remove the entire nail - the infection was too close to the bone.

"I almost lost my thumb," she says. "I didn't think it would hurt this bad and I didn't realize how many limitations I would have - I can't button my pants and it'll be hard to turn and bark back at Simon [Cowell]. I guess I'll just talk to Randy [Jackson] all night."
BTW... was it just me, or did she seem like she was high on painkillers last night?

Last edited by Darq; 04-21-04 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-21-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"You did just great. Good job!"
Old 04-21-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Worst. AI. Season so far.
Old 04-21-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
I missed sections of the show last night, so until I watch them on the Replay, I'll keep my comments minimal.

Fantasia picked the right song but shouldn't have played with the arrangment (it was already about as "funky" as Manilow gets).
You musta' missed the part when Manilow said that he didn't want them to sing his songs like he sang them. The whole point was for them to mix it up and add their own taste to it.
Old 04-21-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Patman
John - gave it a shot, but just too inexperienced to impart that song with any form of sincerity and true grit.
In all fairness, Barry Manilow isn't exactly Mr. True Grit.
Old 04-21-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally posted by SBatL8y
You musta' missed the part when Manilow said that he didn't want them to sing his songs like he sang them. The whole point was for them to mix it up and add their own taste to it.
I did miss that, but then how does one explain John Stevens somewhat competent but far from original take on "Mandy"??

Maybe the revival idea could have worked if she had spent more time changing notes than moving around the audience. But, one's thing for sure....it didn't work.
Old 04-21-04, 06:10 PM

Favorite Simon quote of the night.

To John Stevens: "Mandy fell asleep."
Old 04-21-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
There's supposed to be a shocking result tonight. (Access Hollywood interview with Nigel Lithgoe - he said that "America got it wrong"). Could it be that Fantasia is on her way out?
Old 04-21-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread so far, but Barry Manilow totally kicks ass. Always has.
Old 04-21-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sinned
There's supposed to be a shocking result tonight. (Access Hollywood interview with Nigel Lithgoe - he said that "America got it wrong"). Could it be that Fantasia is on her way out?
Nah. I'd guess that any "shocker" would be LaToya or, more likely after the last couple of weeks, GH.
Old 04-21-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy shit.
Old 04-21-04, 07:52 PM

Received 809 Likes on 525 Posts
Did you see the look on George's face!!!!

This is so wrong...

I'm gonna say that Jennifer Hudson is gone...

I'm recording this for my wife who's got something else going on tonight, so I'm turning it off now. Be back here later tonight...

This is strange...

Last edited by Goldberg74; 04-21-04 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-21-04, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
please, please, please let Fantasia go...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.