Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone here have American Gothic on tape or news of it being on tv again?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts

I remember liking this show but only saw a couple of episodes. It's not out on DVD, and not even available on ebay (just some pal videos--I've already got a multiregion dvd player, not gonna try for pal vhs). Anyway, if anyone on this forum has these taped from tv, I would really love to see the series and would be willing to trade dvd's for the tapes.

Also, is there any news about it being on tv again or coming out on dvd? I looked at some websites and everything seemed pretty old (talk once of a movie and reviving the series, but it seems like nothing happened?)

Thanks,

tasha
(email [email protected])

Last edited by tasha99; 04-24-04 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully it will be out on DVD at some point. Last I remember, Sci-Fi channel aired it many years ago. Guess they still have the rights to it. It was one of my favorite TV shows at the time.
Old 04-24-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a fanatic of this show when it first aired almost 9 years ago... Sci-Fi did air it a number of years ago, and aired the unaired by CBS episodes. About three years ago, it looked like Universal was going to finally release the show to DVD. It ended up never amounting to anything, but at least Universal still remembers it owns the rights to the episodes.

And in case you don't know, Universal is being gobbled up by NBC. This is pretty bad news for AG, since NBC isn't going to even think about putting together a set for this obscure show anytime soon. I'd say we're 3-5 years from the show being released on DVD, if it ever actually makes it.

Most of my favorite series are similar in nature to AG in terms of DVD release (Brimstone, Freakylinks, Fantasy Island 98 and Now and Again), so I've seen multiple companies doing the same thing Universal did. Small groups inside these media giants propose releasing the series on DVD, then managment gets the proposal... Almost every single time, these companies shoot down any idea of a DVD release for cult series. AG is hindered even more by the fact that it hasn't aired in almost a decade.

Someone on Usenet did post the first nine episodes last year in the form of three episode per DVD images. It was supposed to eventually lead to the entire series being posted, but then the poster suddenly stopped after the third disc. Over the last few months, I've seen the three dvds reposted at various points. Not really the most legal way of obtaining them, but since there are no other alternatives, it might not hurt to look over there once in a while.

If you want to keep an eye on news of a dvd release, this site (http://www.ourdramaqueen.com/ag/dvdp...dpetition4.htm) is about as updated as AG sites get.
Old 04-24-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
Thanks for the info. Very disheartening, but I've programmed my Tivo to autorecord anything titled American Gothic on the off chance that it gets aired again.

tasha