Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone else NOT digging the "new" VH1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I know what you mean. All I've ever seen of Dirty are brief highlights whenever the latest documentary about Christina Aguillera airs on MTV or VH1.
Old 01-29-04, 12:35 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by yecul
Isn't that why we have MTV2?
MTV2 sucks as well, and is starting to get more shows (though they are music based).

My main problem is I hate rap and hip hop and that's on at least 75% of the time they're playing music, which is ridiculous as they have MTV Jams that's all rap/hip hop all the time. Which is even more ridiculous as this used to be MTV-X which was all rock all the time.
Old 01-29-04, 12:47 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by marty888
Same here ... fortunately there are some other choices.
Yeah, but I don't feel like paying extra for those channels. I guess I just don't give a damn about music videos anymore its been so long.
Old 01-29-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I really want to see a music video I go to a place like Launch or to the artists websites. Why would I watch it on TV? I'd have to sit through hours of crappy music just to get to a video I liked anyway. The only time I ever watched videos when I was younger was at a friend's house -- and it was really just background noise.
Old 01-29-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been enjoying the Bands Reunited shows and I also watched the Living in the 80's series.

Saturday's "Super Secret Movie Rules" sounds interesting.
Old 01-29-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Screw the videos, show me more episodes of "Best Week Ever."

Good TV
Old 01-30-04, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by Numanoid
As long as they don't change VH-1 Classics format, I won't complain.

Out of curiosity, why do current artists even make videos? Where are they being shown?

VH1 Classics just the best? When there isn't anything to watch on tv (and that's often) and I can always rely on this channel. It takes me back to the glory days of MTV when it was actually good. Geez, I used to stay up late on school nights waiting for the new Duran Duran video to air in 1983 - now I don't have to!
Old 01-30-04, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 173 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally posted by DodgingCars
Who the hell watches hours of music videos anyway? Obviously, not many -- hence the format changes.
not since the 80s

I like the msuic choice channels on Directv
Old 01-30-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I always liked Storytellers (and unplugged). It is a shame shows like that have long since fallen by the wayside in favor of dreck like "Fabulous Life of...."
Old 01-30-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's what M2 should be doing, concert shows. I think PBS has more concerts than MTV or VH1.
Old 01-31-04, 12:46 PM
Retired

Originally posted by DodgingCars
If I really want to see a music video I go to a place like Launch or to the artists websites. Why would I watch it on TV? I'd have to sit through hours of crappy music just to get to a video I liked anyway. The only time I ever watched videos when I was younger was at a friend's house -- and it was really just background noise.
It was a great way to discover new bands/songs. It was better than the radio, as you could see the artist/album/song at the beginning and end. On the radio, the DJs hardly ever announce the song/artist. Usually they'll say what they're playing next, then play 3 or 4 songs withough telling you who the others were.

Plus, as you said, it's great background noise. I used to keep MTV-X on a lot when I was studying, couldn't sleep, cleaning up my apartment etc.
Old 01-31-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In Canada, I get this...

Much Music - Basically our MTV station... except it still plays videos. Current stuff, same kind of stuff MTV would play. It's way better than MTV though, less worried about offending people. It's fun to watch artist interviews on it because the only stuff they really bleep out are the two big words.
Much More Music - Like Much Music, but for a more mature audiance... so it plays more Jewel and no 50 Cent.
Much Vibe - Hip Hop videos, it might have shows too... I really don't know
Much Loud - Punk and stuff. Might have shows, I really don't know.
Much Retro - Retro videos.
MTV Canada - Just MTV's shows... I don't think we get stuff that's video oriented like TRL or anything, just stuff like Rich Girls and Frat Life and Newley Weds and stuff.

We also have things like Cool TV, which is a lot of old Jazz shows and whatnot... but I didn't include it.

I'm sure this is similar to the types of channels you have on your cable/satalite (sounds like you probably have more too!) and this seems to cover a large range of tastes. I really don't use the service much though.