Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone else NOT digging the "new" VH1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else NOT digging the "new" VH1?

What the hell happened to VH1? With MTV, as Lewis Black once said, becoming to music what KFC is to chicken, VH1 was seemingly the network that MTV was SUPPOSED to be. In other words a living, breathing MUSIC network. Now it looks like VH1 has been similarly bastardized and has become an entertainment network with no music to be found.

Anyone else not digging the changes?
Old 01-28-04, 11:49 AM

Isn't that why we have MTV2?

Seriously though, clearly their current format is more profitable than having most of their content being videos. Otherwise, they would change back.

Real World, Osbornes, Beavis & Butthead, __'s Strike Back, Behind the Music...

These are the big ratings generators. Not the new Britney video. At least, not in a controlled TRL like setting.

Just accept it and move on. If it ain't your thing, turn the dial. I do agree, however, that at least a few actual videos might be nice once in the while.
Old 01-28-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lovin' it.
Old 01-28-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
well, that's one of Fuse's selling points - just check out the Sally Struthers billboard in Times Square.

however, vh1 has developed more entertaining shows without pandering to the braindead "Girls Gone Wild" masses.

"I Love the 70s/80s" & "Bands Reunited" come to mind.

I could do without "Driven" or whatever the name of the show is that shows how a celebrity so-and-so lives and the rest.
Old 01-28-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
geez, what is it with you people and not getting to see music on a music channel?

honestly though, I pretty much gave up on MTV years ago. what do they play for music now, like 30 min. a day or something?

I still watch VH1 from time to time but it seems that if I want to see some videos I have to watch Fuse.
Old 01-28-04, 12:31 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I've been watching more VH1 than ever before lately. I really enjoy Bands Reunited and Driven. I watch some of I Love the 80s every once in awhile. I do miss never seeing any music videos though.
Old 01-28-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by yecul
Isn't that why we have MTV2?

Seriously though, clearly their current format is more profitable than having most of their content being videos. Otherwise, they would change back.

Real World, Osbornes, Beavis & Butthead, __'s Strike Back, Behind the Music...

These are the big ratings generators. Not the new Britney video. At least, not in a controlled TRL like setting.

Just accept it and move on. If it ain't your thing, turn the dial. I do agree, however, that at least a few actual videos might be nice once in the while.
I'm one of those few people who doesn't get MTV2 on their cable system.

I don't have a problem with the Behind The Music series, but most of these new shows have nothing to do with music what so ever. Top 10 Things Every Horror Movie Needs? What does that have to do with music?
Old 01-28-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

speaking of fuse, is this on any satilite or cable network?
Old 01-28-04, 01:47 PM

Here in San Diego it's part of the Digital Cable package through Cox Cable
Old 01-28-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's why they have VH1 Classic, VH1 Soul, MTV Hits, and so on.They play nothing but videos on those channels with no commercials other than MTV and VH1 promos, gotta get satellite or digital cable.

You just noticed VH1 quit playing videos? It's been like this at least since Behind the Music became a hit.
Old 01-28-04, 02:10 PM
Suspended

MTV2 is going the same route, don't worrry. The funniest part of all this, is that all of the MTV/VH1 'shows' rely heavily on 'videos' that they rarely even show. VH1 has tons of shows like "Sexiest Videos" and you see 3 second clips of videos that you've never seen before.
Old 01-28-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Rypro 525
speaking of fuse, is this on any satilite or cable network?
It's also on DirecTV now.
Old 01-28-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As long as they don't change VH-1 Classics format, I won't complain.

Out of curiosity, why do current artists even make videos? Where are they being shown?
Old 01-28-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bands Re-united = Best Show Ever
Old 01-28-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
well, let's look at it this way...

if they did play videos, do we really need to see Britney/Beyonce/50 Cent 43,245 more times a day?

perhaps if they actually had some VARIETY to their playlist it might matter...
Old 01-28-04, 03:16 PM

I got to see "The Best Week EVer" on MOnday for the first time and I thought it was great. Like I love the 80s except just covering one week.
Old 01-28-04, 03:21 PM

FWIW, there's a good article in this week's Time about the many revampings of VH1. And a funny sidepiece by Joel Stein. I doubt this format will last more than a year or so.
Old 01-28-04, 03:32 PM
Suspended

I gave up watching MTV & VH1 for actual music along time ago. To me they are just like any of the other regular channels.
Old 01-28-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who the hell watches hours of music videos anyway? Obviously, not many -- hence the format changes.
Old 01-28-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by 37 In A Row
Here in San Diego it's part of the Digital Cable package through Cox Cable
Actually, Time Warner (in San Diego) recently added Fuse to its basic cable lineup.

I love it, but Uranium is on way too much, and it's not 24 hours. I always forget to watch it, too, since it's like the last channel in the basic cable lineup, so I never see it channel surfing.
Old 01-29-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I've always wondered how a video gets requested on TRL. Since TRL is the only time I ever see these videos, how does someone know it exists before it is shown on TRL, and requests it gets played?

Or, why can't they even show a complete, uncut version of the video when they actually try to show one? While it's playing, there's all kinds of cute little graphics appearing in each corner of the screen counting down the days to the next non-music related event, two or three news crawls about how you can check out more from this musical artist online, then a tiny picture appears on the screen (interrupting the music, mind you) with some kid screaming, "Hey, I just want to give a shout-out to all my buddies in Iowa. Woooohooooooo!," then the video fades to a cheering crowd 45 SECONDS BEFORE THE SONG OFFICIALLY ENDS. It makes me wonder if our society has developed such a case of ADD that no one can just sit down and watch a complete three minute musical video without interruptions.

I do see where VH1 is now trying similar tactics. I've also started nicknaming them "The List Channel," since it seems like anytime I turn it on it's just another list of hottest celebrities or something.
Old 01-29-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MJKTool
I gave up watching MTV & VH1 for actual music along time ago. To me they are just like any of the other regular channels.
Same here ... fortunately there are some other choices.
Old 01-29-04, 09:34 AM

I don't mind VH1 so much...I really like Bands Reunited and they do a LOT of those lists...that include videos never seen before.

I decided that VH1 was the replacement for E! a while back. VH1 does more entertainment/fashion/music/movie stuff than E! does....so that's why I like it...

As for videos, I don't really care to watch them anyway. They're always the same thing considering the music they play. MTV2 is ALWAYS doing the Hip Hop Countdown.

Even FUSE gets repetetive. Every time I remember that it's there, there's some Linkin Park special or Linkin Park videos or something (and I love Linkin Park!)...I'll just put in the CD, thanks. Trying to watch videos is futile.
Old 01-29-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by DodgingCars
Who the hell watches hours of music videos anyway? Obviously, not many -- hence the format changes.
No doubt this is correct. So my question for the music industry is why bother spending money to create a music video no one will ever see? It really seems like wasted money to me, so I would be curious as to how they justify this. It would make more sense if all CDs started including these videos together in a supplemental DVD. (Then I'll finally think the price for a CD is justified.)
Old 01-29-04, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by rennervision
No doubt this is correct. So my question for the music industry is why bother spending money to create a music video no one will ever see? It really seems like wasted money to me, so I would be curious as to how they justify this. It would make more sense if all CDs started including these videos together in a supplemental DVD. (Then I'll finally think the price for a CD is justified.)
Doesn't it seem like the only time you see these alleged music videos is during shows like Access Hollywood, Extra, etc? I always see some thing on there about how Brittney is making a new video and how they made it, but I never actually see the video.....
and I still never got to see the Xtina Dirrrrrrrrrty video, I wanted to see that so bad!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.