Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The L Word -- Showtime

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been watching since the start, and I'm still enjoying it. I was quite skeptical at first, but I have to say that most the characters are really likable. The only character that annoys me is Jenny, but that's really by design I think.
Old 03-24-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
Those two girls reminded me of Tatu.
I fail to see the resemblance.

Old 03-24-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I can't stand Jenny. Not only is she annoying, but she always looks so unkempt, like a street urchin or something. I am not sure we are supposed to believe anyone finds her attractive (especially hot-ass Marina).

Her hair always looks like a matted wig or something.
Old 03-24-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the last 2 episodes still to be watched, I can't seem to make it through them for some odd reason. Hopefully with less basketball on TV this weekend, I'll get through these episodes.
Old 03-24-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I find that this show always flies by. I'll put it on and I am always amazed when the credits roll up at the end because it goes so quickly.
Old 03-24-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, it didn't fly by for me on the earlier episodes because I treated it as my weekly dose of nekkid Mia Kirshner, and the remote control was a handy thing indeed...
Old 03-24-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not really understanding Shane's storyline so far. She has a past-- what is the deal? Was she a prostitute? For men or women? And who exactly is this guy they keep talking about (I can't remember his name, he is the all-powerful dude.) Is that the one who is buying her the salon or is it Arquestte's husband? Or are they the same person? I'm kind of confused about that whole thing.
As far as I can tell, Shane used to be really intro drugs and homeless. She supported that habbit by being a prostitute. I don't know if she catered to both males and females, but they did say she used to only give guys handjobs. The "all-powerful dude" is Harry. He is just some Hollywood bigshot that has a lot of money and a lot of pull. He thought Shane was a guy and wanted to get some, but she still impressed him after he found out she was a girl. Harry isn't Arquette's husband, but he is a friend of theirs.

I'm still into this show quite a bit. It's not something I look forward to seeing all week, but I am glad I watch it. The storylines are becoming more interesting IMO. Dana is probably my favorite on the show, so the scene with here and Jenny was just plain cool. It was the most akward lesbian scene I have ever scene and I couldn't stop cracking up.
Old 03-25-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Yeah, Dana rules. I hope she gets back together with Lara (the chef). They were a cute couple.

X
Old 03-25-04, 11:35 AM

The show 2 weeks ago really disturbed me. The question was, when is art not art. The scene in question was the live scene of Jesus rear ending Mary Magdelene, with some of his Disciples by his side. How can anyone in their right mind consider this art? It was pure garbage.

All the writers were trying to do was trash the pureness of someone who never sinned, by showing him in a sinful act.

As a Christian, I almost decided to not the watch the show after that, but I'm not that fragile. It just pisses me off, that during the last 30 years or so, more and more people are seeing a need to try to bring down the image of someone who lead a perfect life.

And you may be asking, why would someone who calls himself a Christian, be watching 'The L Word'. But don't forget that the first word that pops up on the screen is 'Love'. And hey, I never said that I was perfect. And come on, beautiful women and almost no guys!

But I am serious about the false depiction of Jesus.

Chris
Old 03-25-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
One little critique I had about the last episode was Dana setting her drink down ON the bed. Who does that? It was obvious that they were going to spill it on the bed after that. That irked me a little.
Old 03-26-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I finally watched the last 2 episodes. Dana and Jenny's attempt at a lesbian liaison was hilarious!

Fay must die.
Old 04-13-04, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The L Word - 04/11/04: "Limb From Limb" (Season Finale)

surprised there hasn't been a thread yet, being the season finale and all..

i actually didn't even know it was the season finale until it was over. i've been watching every episode, and can't believe the first season is over already!

best episode of the season, imo. i thought last week's was bad, but this week was fantastic. there was so much going on, and they did a great job of giving a good amount of time to each storyline.

lots of turns in one episode - kit's weird situation, tina finding out about candace, dana & tanya engaged, everything falling apart for shane, jenny double-dipping and marina calling her in the end, and alice laying one on dana! damn!

i want season 2 now! ugh.. but i guess that's the point.. great finale!
Old 04-13-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for starting the thread. My Tivo recording ran out when Tina was drawing the line from Bette's name on the chart. Did I miss much after that? I am recording another showing (with extra padding time) but I was anxious to know.

Thanks!

RIP Mr. Piddles
Old 04-13-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for starting the thread. My Tivo recording ran out when Tina was drawing the line from Bette's name on the chart. Did I miss much after that? I am recording another showing (with extra padding time) but I was anxious to know.
ugh. same thing happened to me. what's up with that?! it reran last night at 9pm, so i recorded it + 30mins.. went to bed early, but turned it on at 10pm in bed, expecting to catch the ending, and they were running the credits.. looks like they went overboard with commercials at the beginning on sunday..
Old 04-13-04, 09:50 AM

I ended up recording the west coast feed on sunday, after watching the east coast feed get caught off as well. Nothing happens after that point, she draws the line and starts righting the new name then Alice comes and hugs her.
Old 04-13-04, 11:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine cut off too.
Old 04-13-04, 12:23 PM

Mine cut off during the credits. You didn't miss anything but a hug.

That was actually a pretty good season of television. Started out kinda rocky, but I'll tune in next season for sure. They left a lot of things hanging, so they'll have lots to come back to.

Does anyone think that Tanya killed Mr. Piddles? I do. Hate that girl. Hope Alice and Dana end up together next season.

Hate Marina too. I haven't really liked Jenny's storyline this whole season, but I actually kind of liked her by the end of this episode. Glad to see her stand up and actually make some decisions. Really starting to dislike Tim, though.

Bette and Tina's story ended...weirdly. I didn't really like that "rape" scene they had at the end.

Felt really bad for Shane. I think she's my favorite character right now.

I really like Ivan. I'm interested to see where she and Kit will go.

X
Old 04-13-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
The Bette Tina "rape" scene was definitely weird. I don't even know where that came from at all.

I also don't know where Alice's love for Dana came from. It just seemed to pop up out of nowhere unless I had been missing the clues up until that point. Still the show is decent enough that I will continue to watch.

Oh, I also think Tanya killed Mr. Piddles.
Old 04-14-04, 04:43 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched over half the season last weekend and I was surprised there haven't been any recent threads for the show. Even though some of the characters and situations were over the top, I still loved the show. I wish they hadn't messed up Tim. I really liked him till the last couple episodes. The Tim and Jenny storyline was probably my favorite of the season because some of the other storylines often seemed to be kinda light and I like the really dramatic stuff more. Or maybe it's just cause I think Jenny's really sexy.

I've never seen Queer as Folk. Is it ever as good as the L Word has been or are they completely different?
Old 04-16-04, 12:23 PM

Queer as Folk is somewhat different. It's about gay men in Pittsburgh. For several of them, their lives sort of revolve around the "dance club/sex/drugs" scene. But it does have great character development and storylines that tend to suck you in. I got sucked in during the very first episode and have been known to watch 8 or so episodes at a stretch. Good stuff. If you liked the L Word, I would check it out. The sex scenes are more graphic than what was on the L Word, though. And the language is pretty strong. Great show.

X
Old 04-16-04, 09:34 PM

The Bette/Tina "rape" scene definitely left me and my boyfriend saying, "WTF was that?"

Tanya defnitely "forgot" to give Mr. Piddles his meds. I'm curious as to what is up with her... is she just a starf---er or does she have other motives for dating Dana?

Also - do you think Alice's motives are genuine, or is she just trying to break Dana and Tanya up and get Tanya out of the picture?

Ivan kinda freaks me out, but I kinda like her too. It'll be neat to see what Kit does next season.

Muse
Old 04-19-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mkdevo
i actually didn't even know it was the season finale until it was over. i've been watching every episode, and can't believe the first season is over already!
I was definitely surprised this was the season finale. The season seemed to go by so fast. The characters really pulled me into the show after the first few episodes. I missed it already this Sunday.

Originally posted by spainlinx0
I also don't know where Alice's love for Dana came from. It just seemed to pop up out of nowhere unless I had been missing the clues up until that point. Still the show is decent enough that I will continue to watch.
There were definitely clues throughout the season. Alice and Dana were having conversations about how friend was the same word as love to most lesbians (that's them talking, not me.) After Dana got her hair done by Shane, Alice kept telling her how good she looked. "If I didn't know it was you, I would have thought somebody hot just walked in." I thought they were actually going to hook up a while ago when they went to the club together and "promised" to not hook up with each other. They were also really close, which can lead to different feelings really fast.

I also think that Tanya killed Mr. Piddles. She is just a freak, Dana is way too hot for that.
Old 01-01-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
"The L Word"

Anyone else watching this show? I don't watch most things live, so I'm watching the first season on DVD. Saw it on BB Online and it seemed interesting. Lots to think about when it comes to relationships and sexuality. I'm enjoying it (and there's a lot of great acting).
Old 01-02-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I watched the season when it originally aired on Showtime. I checked it out at first because I wanted to watch a show about hot lesbians, but after a few episodes I was really engrossed with the characters. I definitely enjoyed the show and am glad that you are too. I'll have to pick up the season sometime.
Old 01-02-05, 09:42 AM

Great show... I really want to buy it on DVD, but can't afford to at the moment, so I got a friend of mine to add it to his Netflix list.. hehehe...

What I loved about it was that I loved ALL the characters... it isn't like some shows with a large cast where there are weak characters that you don't give a shit about, and you wish they'd move on to one of the better ones. I love them all.

Muse

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.