Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shows you wonder why they didn't work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-14, 09:47 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Shows you wonder why they didn't work?

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
Oh I know. It's the one accept of it that I think is ridiculous. Just don't do cliffhangers. I could not even stand being part of a show that did not have a complete story.

I prefer a better bookend to a season. Most of the time the season opener gets shown and the next episode has nothing to do with the events of what happened and starts a new story.
Shows get canceled midseason. If you don't want a show to do a cliffhanger you should never be watching it live. Wait for Netflix, DVD etc. They have to find ways for people to tune back in.
Old 05-03-14, 09:50 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Gotta love how the comments about FOX are still relevant despite this being an 11-yr thread bump.
Why? Because Fox produces more of the Sci-Fi shows that members of this forum watch so they become the punching bag?

Fringe lasted 5 seasons. Dollhouse got a second (!). So did Touch, that Mark Valley show etc. Shit, The Mindy Project got a Third Season after being retooled three or four times.
Old 05-03-14, 09:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paff
Two Guys and a Girl was a great show, although it's not a mystery why it didn't work.

There was the initial title of Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place. They retooled it a bit, lost some main characters. I think David Ogden Stiers was a regular who always imagined he was a famous character from a movie, a different movie each week.
Then they added more characters (making the title of the show completely moot), until it was six 20-somethings living in Boston, three male three female. Basically, a Boston Friends.
Finally, none of the characters were particularly likeable (the Seinfeld influence)

But it was funny as hell. Ryan Reynolds had great comedic timing, and it was one of the first major roles for Nathan Fillion. Once it finally found its footing and direction, it was cancelled.
It lasted FOUR Seasons with something like over 80 episodes.
Old 05-03-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Shows get canceled midseason. If you don't want a show to do a cliffhanger you should never be watching it live. Wait for Netflix, DVD etc. They have to find ways for people to tune back in.
I tried that for a couple years with new shows yet I like having new content so I don't worry about it as much anymore. (It's just tv) I still think it's a poor way to do television. I'm tuning back in because I like the show, a cliffhanger is not required. I know they have to fight for people (DVD makes that easier) or people that forget about things, not quite sure. When I watch a show I watch every episode until it's done. (I tend to watch shows I enjoy so nothing too horrible within the last decade)
Old 05-03-14, 12:00 PM
ATX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i loved TSCC, i wasnt even mad that there wasnt a s3, the 2 season thing worked and they wrote a good finale

i enjoyed it more when the blurays came out because you could watch in continuity and see that the episodes werent random

and yeah, i never liked Brian Austin Green until TSCC
Old 05-03-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Why? Because Fox produces more of the Sci-Fi shows that members of this forum watch so they become the punching bag?

Fringe lasted 5 seasons. Dollhouse got a second (!). So did Touch, that Mark Valley show etc. Shit, The Mindy Project got a Third Season after being retooled three or four times.
I've been watching The Mindy Project since the beginning I wouldn't say it's been retooled even once. They've brought in new supporting characters throughout the run but a number of shows do that. The core of the show is the same though.
Old 05-03-14, 12:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I've been watching The Mindy Project since the beginning I wouldn't say it's been retooled even once. They've brought in new supporting characters throughout the run but a number of shows do that. The core of the show is the same though.
How many cast members have departed/left/fired? I can think of 4 (one just happened a few days ago). Obviously it's still about Doctors, but the only original cast member from the Pilot I think is Mindy and the main guy. All the girls have been fired (too pretty?)
Old 05-05-14, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Yeah, I liked that one. The only real weak spot was the guy across that alley.
I hated that guy so much.

Originally Posted by Paff
Adding insult to injury is that a cast member from Don't Trust... is now a regular on 2 Broke Girls, which only serves to remind me how much funnier Don't Trust was.
Eric Andre? I was expecting his character and June to get together on Don't Trust the B-.

Originally Posted by Navinabob
That show made me a fan of Brian Austin Green even.
When I first saw him on the show all I could think of was Beverly Hills 90210 and worse, he was supposed to be Kyle Reese's brother! But it turns out he was a great addition to the show. I think he was trying to get cast as Green Lantern. I think he would have made a good Hal Jordan.