Reload this Page >

Shows you wonder why they didn't work?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-27-03, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Watching Boomtown and 24.. I was wondering why UC:Undercover didn't work? And if it were still around, would there still be viewers? I liked the story and characters and think that it could have a spot in today's programming.

I'm sure others in DVDTalk have the same feelings about some shows that were cancelled but could survive in primetime today.
Old 09-27-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO, UC was too full of itself. Hell, just look at its name. The constant camera zooms and over-indulgent chase sequences were fine, but it took itself way too seriously. Stuff like that is fine for a show like Fastlane that is meant to be fun, but UC was meant to be serious, and played a lot of melo-drama, and it just didn't mesh. It felt like a mini-Michael Bay film (the bad ones) each week, trying too hard to be too many things and not really succeeding with any of them. I don't think timing would have made much of a difference.

das
Old 09-27-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Futurama.
Old 09-27-03, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I understand why a lot of shows died, either from network incompetence or network incompetence or maybe just the stupidity of the incompetent network, but come to think of it, Fastlane confuses me. It had the right timeslot for what it was and appropriate marketing, but it just didn't catch on in high enough numbers. I'm not sure why. My best guess is that audiences don't appreciate "fun" shows that much anymore.

das
Old 09-27-03, 04:27 AM

Originally posted by SunMonkey
Futurama.
While this is a show that 'should' have had a ton of popularity based on it's content...I understand why it failed...and there are plenty of threads on it...due to the timeslot and treatment by fox. In the case of Fastlane (a show I never watched but I am using it as a concept) I may not understand why it failed if it were a quality show (like Futurama) with a good timeslot and promotion (unlike Futurama)...
Old 09-27-03, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr.
This show started out when The X-Files did, and were shown back to back on friday nights. Both catered to similar crowds, yet it didn't make to a 2nd season. I'm not too sure why. Maybe people didn't realize it was partly sci-fi, and assumed it was just a western.
Old 09-27-03, 09:55 AM
Banned

I would say The Tick live-action series, but I know why it didn't work... it held TOO true to the original material, which was an ingenius parody of comic books. So to understand the show, you had to understand the comic books it was parodying.

I wonder why John Doe didn't work. Sure, it was basically Data from ST:TNG crossed with The Pretender, but it was still pretty good.

But my biggest wonder would be American Gothic. What a spectacular show.
Old 09-27-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

IMO, John Doe's failing was that it didn't get to the point. They kept dancing around this major plot development, but it was just a tease. I stayed around to find out what was happening, but I think a lot of people bolted.

das
Old 09-27-03, 02:29 PM

Flowchart asking why didn't <X> series work?

1. Was it on FOX? YES ---> There ya go

NO
|
|
\/

Good Question
Old 09-27-03, 05:23 PM

I thought Robbery Homicide Division would have lasted, it got some good reviews, etc, but I think it was on 10pm Fridays... and you can't discount that lunatic Sizemore's behavioral problems
Old 09-27-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

COP ROCK!
Old 09-28-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I firmly believe that, aside from X-Files, NOTHING works on Friday nights, for Fox or anyone else. They should seriously stop killing shows (and wasting money) and stick some movies on there instead.
Old 09-28-03, 02:37 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with RHD, and there are a couple of us out there, who can't believe Philly did not last

I think Red Dog was one
Old 09-28-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Draven
I firmly believe that, aside from X-Files, NOTHING works on Friday nights, for Fox or anyone else. They should seriously stop killing shows (and wasting money) and stick some movies on there instead.
Homicide worked great on Friday nights....the audience who really loved it went out of their way to find the show at a horrible time slot. Seven seasons on a Friday night is a decent feat these days.

And Law Order SVU was doing some nice business of Friday's.

Networks really seem to have attacked Friday this year, both my VCR's were busy this Friday, and I'm surprised at how much of what I saw I really enjoyed.
Old 09-28-03, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Draven
I firmly believe that, aside from X-Files, NOTHING works on Friday nights, for Fox or anyone else.
I just remembered another favorite that died in a friday night timeslot:
Dark Shadows (not the old one, but the one from the early 90's with Ben Cross playing Barnabus)
Old 09-28-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
I could think of plenty, but for some unforeseen reason, "The (very underated) John Larroquette Show" suddenly popped into my head. Now that had definite potential to be a great show ...what couldn't it find an audience?

I remember for one thing NBC was constantly re-tooling it every season until it was finally canceled. And then there was the crappy timeslot. Too bad, it was a great show.
Old 09-28-03, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
along the lines of 24, I liked Nowhere Man. One season of 1 continuing story. I guess people weren't ready for that kind of thing.

Also, the Lone Gunmen. I think both these shows were Fox and I believe NM was a Friday show. I could be wrong. Damn you Fox.
Old 09-28-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Larroquette was a kickass show that helped discover some great comedic talent. One of my favorite lines on that show is when they introduced the character of Catherine in the second season played by seasoned sitcom vet Alison LaPlaca. Hemingway said something like, "hey ... you're pretty funny." and she responded to the camera something to the effect of, "you believe it took me six sitcoms for someone to figure that out?" Plus, Gigi Rice

das
Old 09-28-03, 11:30 PM

Profit - starring Adrian Pasdar. I thought that this show was great. Really dark, and the main character was a terrific antihero. I don't know if it was because of the timeslot, or day it was shown, or just the content of the show disturbed people, but I loved the show.
Old 09-28-03, 11:50 PM

NOTHING works on Friday nights

I would have liked to seen how CSI would have
done if it stayed in its original time slot.

As for most tv series mentioned. Bad casting for
some of the key leads is also to blame.
Along with well written epsiodes, that just did not
appeal to the viewing audience.
Firefly is a great example. The Captain IMO was
totally miss-cast. It was like watching a dead
fish try to act.....Anyways.

My biggest problem of late is how many really bad
tv shows are popular.
Old 09-29-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by theedge
1. Was it on FOX? YES ---> There ya go

NO
|
|
\/

Good Question
I was going to include Undeclared, but then I read this post. There you go.

Seriously, I loved this show and was sad to see it relegated to the dumpster by Fox.
Old 09-29-03, 02:05 AM

Family Guy, Sportsnight, and My So Called Life.
Old 09-29-03, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember liking The John John Larroquette Show until the first retool. Up to that point, if memory serves, it was pretty strong for a sitcom but upon the redesign, complete in NBC logo colors, it went downhill. Seemed like it had some Taxi potential til that point.
Old 09-29-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

millennium

vampire the masquerade
Old 09-29-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I agree with RHD, and there are a couple of us out there, who can't believe Philly did not last

I think Red Dog was one

Most definitely.

It had a decent timeslot. It had a sexy and talented actress in the lead role. Legal dramas are always popular. It had Stephen Bochco producing. Finally, it was on a network with very little to speak of in terms of hits.

Of course, I know why it didn't last - because ABC execs are idiots. They are only topped by FOX executives.

I always thought the following shows were destined to last longer: Crime Story, Titus, Andy Richter Controls the Universe, Futurama, Fastlane, The Agency, Jack & Jill, My So-Called Life, Pasadena, Undeclared, Son of the Beach and WKRP (I still can't believe that this great comedy was only on 4 seasons).

Last edited by Red Dog; 09-29-03 at 11:30 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.