Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Joe Schmo

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't realize he refused to do promos.
If I were him, I'd be thrilled to be a part of this show. He might even have a few female fans.
I was also cracking up at Dr. Pat's talent as well as Joe Schmo's.
Old 09-17-03, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
After this episode, I can see why Matt refuses to do any promos for the show. "Boo hoo hoo! Too much pressure!" That's probably what he said when he quit law school and moved back in with his parents.
Uh Oh, it looks like the crowd is turning against Matt!

Chris
Old 09-17-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
OH man, I'm glad I read this thread...it got me to start watching it.

Matt beatboxing?!?!? Now that was a riot! He looked utterly ridiculous....which has also made me think that he's the one in on the joke and the actors aren't.

His crying wasn't very convincing either, I thought.

I did love when Earl was laughing, I would have been on the floor!! I loved how Kip's face turned to "shock" as dr pats drama was playing out.

Great show.
Old 09-17-03, 10:51 AM

Muggum (one of the producers of the show) posted this in another forum:

Originally posted by muggum

Guys, I just want to apologize for the promo that came on before the eviction ceremony that spoiled the result. That was a big mistake, and it won't happen again if I can help it. I know you invest a lot in the show, and we blew it by spoiling the ending. My sincerest apologies!

Hang in there. This is a marathon, not a sprint...

Muggum

And then I asked him this:

Hey, are you producer that keeps saying that on screen? Then at least we can put a face to muggum!

Chris

And of course he replied with this:

Muggum's identity will forever be a mystery! =)

Matt grew much closer to Earl than we had the time to show. The morning after the first night, they had a lot of time to hang out and bond. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), there are limits to what we can delve into on a ten hour show.

Anyway, suffice it to say that Matt was quite close to Earl, even after four days...

Muggum

Chris
Old 09-17-03, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by mrpayroll
Uh Oh, it looks like the crowd is turning against Matt!

Chris
I don't know that I was ever "for" Matt.

Matt comes off looking pretty bad through much of the show.

For example:

He plots against Ashleigh when she admits her attraction to the host and says Matt is like a brother to her.

He falls for absurd plotlines - like Dr. Pat's relaxation therapy among many others.

His beatbox routine!

He cries like a baby when Earl is evicted.

His general "toolness".

He seems like a nice enough guy. Supposing this show is sincere, and Matt is being duped, I think back to the old Will Rogers quote:

"They may call m e a rube and a hick, but I'd a lot rather be the man who bought the Brooklyn Bridge than the man who sold it."

That being said, maybe the entire program is cruel and meanspirited, but I'll still watch every week and laugh my ass off!
Old 09-17-03, 04:40 PM

Of those things you mentioned, the only character flaw that he has, was when he felt jilted and tried to vote Ashleigh off. It was shallow and mean of him to do that. But I kind of know how he feels. If I were in his place, I wouldn't want to be around her for the rest of those weeks, it would be too painful.

Chris
Old 09-17-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just curious--but where did you all hear that Matt wouldn't do promos?

And why would Spike TV want him to do the promos for the show? It would seem like he was in on it then to me. I can understand if he did a Joe Millionaire thing was he goes and gets interviewed and guest spots on tv shows, but if he's like "Hi, I'm Matt ______, watch me get suckered in the next "Joe Shmoe Show."

Just wouldn't seem right.
Old 09-18-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man I'm starting to feel really really bad for this guy. He might be a doofus and he might be a sucker but that doesn't make it right that he's getting emotionally tortured.

That being said:
I'm hooked on this show.

The guy playing Kip is the funniest mothereffer on tv right now. Aye Aye Captain had me rolling.

I was surprised at the actor's emotional reaction to Earl getting voted off. I assumed that they knew how the vote was going to go before hand but by their reaction I don't think they did.

Last edited by CharlesC; 09-18-03 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-18-03, 08:42 AM

I believe that they are keeping Matt from doing promos as part of his contract, and to keep the show interesting.

Think about it. If he was doing commercials and interviews talking about the experience and how he felt about it, there wouldn't be as much incentive for viewers to continue watching. You would already know if he went ballistic or not when he found out the whole thing was a joke or not.

The whole draw of this series will be to see how far they take things with him, and to see his reaction when they finally reveal what is going on. This isn't like The Bachelor or Survivor where they only need to keep the final winner a secret. This will be about how it affects Joe Schmoe's whole personallity.

Sick, but very entertaining.
Old 09-23-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
BUMP.

New episode tonight.

This is the most laugh out loud funny show on TV right now.
Old 09-24-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Still enjoying this show immensely. It's a weird experience, because you keep thinking this poor guy is so gullible and then you see the actors amazed by how kind Matt can be. Fun to watch.
Old 09-24-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sorry folks, this show is AWFUL. Ugh.
Old 09-24-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love this show, but there is one thing that bothers me.

Every time they play a game, it is obvious that they aren't trying... except for the person who is supposed to win.

Like the "master debator" game. The people lost in like 4 seconds where Matt went 1:30.... and the hands on a hooker game when they all pulled their hands off of her almost immediately, and the sumo wrestling thing last night.

On all of these shows, the people always try real hard to win, but it is almost obvious that these people aren't trying.
Old 09-24-03, 04:11 PM

After hearing about this show, I was anxious to take a look. I've seen two episodes now - the one where
Spoiler:
Earl
gets evicted, and last night's new episode where
Spoiler:
Dr. Pat leaves.

I've gotta say, I was intrigued at first, but the "storylines" they've developed are kinda lame
Spoiler:
(they only covered the Hutch & Dr. Pat one-night stand for a couple of minutes, and then completely ignored it - what gives?!)
and there's only so many "I can't believe he doesn't get it" snippets I can take. I'll watch the finale to see how the reveal is handled, but until then, I'll find something else on the ReplayTV to watch.

-- sandman642
Old 09-25-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Applejack
I love this show, but there is one thing that bothers me.

Every time they play a game, it is obvious that they aren't trying... except for the person who is supposed to win.

Like the "master debator" game. The people lost in like 4 seconds where Matt went 1:30.... and the hands on a hooker game when they all pulled their hands off of her almost immediately, and the sumo wrestling thing last night.

On all of these shows, the people always try real hard to win, but it is almost obvious that these people aren't trying.
You can't be serious!!! Are you really trying to convince us that Brian wasn't trying to win?
Old 09-25-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nut Knuckle!
Old 09-25-03, 06:05 PM

Here are some interesting posts by muggum (producer) and ekb (Brian the Buddy) of the Joe Schmo Show, posted on other boards:

None of the actors knew each other's real names, unless they were friends or acquaintances before the show. The first day everyone arrived to do the first table read, they were introduced to one another by their character names. The character names were used from that point forward.

The exception to this was Brian, because he was involved from very early on and knew all the actors' real names far in advance. But he never slipped once! =)

Muggum

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
as for the $25,000...we (writers/producers minus muggum who was at the hospital) came up with the idea, ( i think michael curtis actually thought of the prize) after matt offered the trip to dr. pat which he did immediately after he won it. i'm pretty sure matt was still in the sumo suit when he offered it. so, that gave us some time to figure out a way to get pat out that night without voting her out which would've seemed awfully cruel after what she'd been through. but, plot-wise she had to go. it was a little tricky, but it all worked out great thanks to matt, as always, making an unbelievably generous gesture.

and, of course, we were able to have the hutch avoid elimination once again...how lucky can one guy get? i guess you'll see!!!!!
your pal,
bk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks for all the support despite having to sit through what likely felt like an eternity of my blurry ball sack in your living room!!!!

someone above asked me what nut knuckle was...that's funny because i didn't know what it was until about 10 minutes before we played master debator...i was sharing a room with the hutch and we were in there with a couple of producers (not muggum, he was getting back from the hospital with dr. pat) and the hutch starts stretching his nutsack to make it look like he sat in some gum. needless to say i was on the floor laughing. that evolved into kip, i think, showing us nut knuckle. we were all laughing so hard that when the hutch kind of teased at it in master debator i decided to go for it....bad career move? maybe bad future dating move? perhaps. come to think of it...why the F did i do that????!!!!! just kidding. i'd do it again. that's how much i was commited to the show and how little dignity i have.

i have to respond to the dr. pat stuff. first of all, i did write the play with her dolls from the talent show. i saw someone asked that earlier. so, thanks to you guys who enjoyed it. but, i have to defend dr. pat to whoever said her acting wasn't good. she was f-ing amazing the whole show. she said so much funny shit that never made air it was ridiculous. and her kind of airy demeanor was a character choice that we all loved. i think it's great that everyone expresses their opinions and i totally respect that. i just wanted to say, from my perspective and i think everyone on the production, that dr. pat is extraordinarily talented and without question among the most talented improv actors i've ever worked with or seen. okay, i'm off my dr. pat soap box....i think she's great.

thank you to all of you guys for all your support of the show and for writing all of your thoughts, positive and negative, i really appreciate reading what you think. thanks again.
your pal,
bk

Chris
Old 09-27-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What do you think the chances are that we'll get this on DVD? Anyone heard anything?
Old 09-27-03, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by kilcher
What do you think the chances are that we'll get this on DVD? Anyone heard anything?
I'll ask Muggum the producer in another forum. If anyone knows he would.

Chris
Old 09-27-03, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by kilcher

Okay here is Muggums answer:

We're all going to push very hard for a DVD, and even harder for a bunch of behind the scenes extras!

You will get some juicy behind the scenes stuff during the final hour of the show, however, so never fear...

You guys are awesome as usual. It is we who should be thanking you for all your continued support! =)

M

Chris
Old 09-27-03, 04:01 PM

Here's a post from Ralph Garman:

Muggum is so right about the show's final hour ... We'll show you a bunch of never before seen footage of the behind-the-scenes action, AND I'm going to get to do a sit down interview with MATT and ask him how he feels now that the whole thing is over ... You're not going to want to miss that.

Thanks for the kind words, BK ... especially about the new bach-pad!

Welcome, Ang ... you're gonna like these folks ...

By the way, how luck am I do have been involved with Molly AND Ashleigh!

(Even if it was only make-believe ...)

-RG

Chris
Old 09-27-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad to see the producers giving feedback. I would definitely consider buying a DVD for this show, its too friggin' funny.

To the poster above who said the storylines are lame- I totally agree, but that's what I love about the show. The storylines are so stupid and yet so damn funny because they are so ridiculous and even far-fetched. And it doesn't seem Matt is questioning anything, unless they are keeping something from us.
Old 09-28-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Theres going to be a "JoeSchmoathon" this afternoon/evening on SpikeTV. From 3:00 pm ET to 7:00 pm ET, the first three episodes air. From 7:00 pm ET to 8:00 pm ET, we take a break from "Joe Schmo" as SpikeTV airs "Sunday Night Heat". Then from 8:00 pm ET to 9:00 pm ET, last weeks episode of "Joe Schmo" airs.

So if you missed any of the episodes, heres a chance to catch up.

LB...
Old 09-28-03, 08:43 PM

Muggum, the producer, posted this elsewhere:

Muggum posted this elsewhere:

In answer to your question, Matt's emotional reaction to Earl's eviction was a terrible, terrible night for all of us. The last thing we ever wanted to do was to cause Matt pain. The show was designed to be light and silly and ridiculous. But he cried, and that made all of us wonder what exactly we had gotten ourselves into.

We left the set not knowing whether the show would go on the next morning. Our psychologist, who was on call, came in first thing the following day and sat with Matt for a long session. His verdict was completely reassuring. He told us that Matt was very stable and strong and resilient, and that he was simply prone to wearing his emotions on his sleeve. The psychologist assuaged our concerns about Matt. He said we had nothing to worry about, provided that we continued to act responsibly.

I felt an enormous responsibilty for Matt while making the show, and I often had tough feelings of guilt. Everyone around me was joking that I needed the psychologist far worse than Matt did. That particular night was rough. Regardless, I stand behind all of our decisions on that set. It was a very professional, capable group who came together to do what was best.

Some people have criticized the show for being 'mean.' I think that we acted very responsibly. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I only ask that people watch the show in its entirety to develop an informed stance.

If our harshest critics look at our show carefully, they'll be forced to admit that it's much more innocuous than your average reality show. Matt was never starved or caged or physically endangered. He never had a knife held to his throat or had needles stuck into his arms, or found that his toothbrush had been used to scrub a toilet. He was never threatened or screamed at. Etc. After all, this was the 'Lap of Luxury'!

Muggum

Chris
Old 09-29-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think this has to be one of the most brilliant concepts for a TV show in a while. It's so great because the casting becomes so essential. If you casted a guy who maybe wasn't as generous or likeable or interesting, it all would have been for nought.

By the way, what forums are you guys getting the actors/producers reactions from? Is it somewhere where we can contribute too?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.