Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Joe Schmo

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-03, 09:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Next week looks to be classic, but this week had some great moments:

Spoiler:
Kip the "Gay Guy" having to stay in the hot tub after being mauled by the ladies.

Spoiler:
Ashleigh's backhanded complements

Spoiler:
Ralph handing out head-shots to everybody.
Old 09-10-03, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ralph's line at the vote last week was great. Something like:
"Now is the time when you vote and one of you will be sent away, back to your pathetic little life, working for the man."
Awesome line. The look on Matt's face was classic. Plus, they were playing, "The Mole" theme music in the background.
Old 09-10-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am not through all of the premier 2 hour episode yet.. still watching it on my ReplayTV.. .but what I have seen so far is encouraging..

I really hate reality shows... never got into Survivor or any of them.. this Anti-reality show is kinda cool tho.
Old 09-10-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by guywall
"Now is the time when you vote and one of you will be sent away, back to your pathetic little life, working for the man."
Man, that was so funny... and the plate smashing thing. They make this show JUST this side of believable... it's not perfect, but I'm getting some giggles out of it.
Did you hear in the previews for next week there was some glass smashing as Joe was upset?
Old 09-10-03, 05:21 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, there's 10 episodes so they must pull through whatever it is. I'm eagering anticipating it nonetheless, but Spike's promos and commerical break teasers are very misleading. They hyped Ashleigh's trick at the table like it was some huge scandalous thing. It wasn't THAT big of a deal, and the reaction from Matt wasn't THAT big. And they also showed Earl calling Matt a wiseass with Matt's bugged out reaction, and that turned out to be nothing. I enjoy the show more for the overall "we're in on a good joke" feel and the fact that they let us in on the behind-the-scenes aspect of the whole thing. I love that the actors refer to their characters in the third person to the audience, and that they show the reactions in the production truck.
Old 09-10-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
this show is funny. I feel sorry for the guy. but damn_ what a dumbass.
Old 09-10-03, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by guywall
Awesome line. The look on Matt's face was classic. Plus, they were playing, "The Mole" theme music in the background.
I haven't seen much of the show...but Ralph Garman is one of the funniest men on the planet. He is a regular on the L.A. moring radio show "Kevin and Bean" on the world famous KROQ. You can go to http://www.kroq.com and click on 'sights and sounds' under 'Kevin and Bean' and listen to some stuff. Might be good or not....but Ralph is a great.

BTW....Ralph used to be a roommate of Adam Corrola. This is how he got the job at KROQ, and I assume led to this job.
Old 09-11-03, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really loved the stripper on a table bit...

Spoiler:
When Matt pulled his hand up first and all the 'actors' had the look of oh my god..what are we gonna do now... that was hilarious... That made me think of a previous point that maybe the show is fixed and Matt was in on it in the first place.
Old 09-11-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man I kinda feel sorry for Matt. He seems like a genuinely good guy. Just the kind of person they would never put on a real reality show. He's not good looking or funny or crazy or bitchy.

Is it just me or does Ralph look exactly like Jim Henson, the guy that used to host Talk Soup?

Old 09-11-03, 01:01 PM

Caught up with both shows last night after Tivo recorded them for me Tuesday. Pretty hilarious stuff. Matt's reactions to some of the goings on is pretty priceless. Especially when Ralph started talking about going back to working for The Man. Heh, heh!
Old 09-12-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by CharlesC
Is it just me or does Ralph look exactly like Jim Henson, the guy that used to host Talk Soup?

Not to pick nits, but Jim Henson is the Muppet dude.

John Henson is the Talk Soup dude. And yes, Garman does look like John Henson. (Although, in those pictures, he also kind of looks like the bear with the red bow just in front of Jim Henson's left shoulder).

Last edited by Shoveler; 09-12-03 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-12-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You leave my nits alone, mister.
Old 09-13-03, 01:58 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that MATT IS REALLY THE ACTOR AND THE JOKE IS ON BOTH THE VIEWERS AND THE OTHER ACTORS??
Old 09-14-03, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He could be an actor, he certainly seems like one. However, the others are definitely actors - the producers meeting secretly to go over the storyline gives that away. I'm not sure what the point would be in tricking them.
Old 09-14-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by atlantamoi
Man, that was so funny... and the plate smashing thing. They make this show JUST this side of believable... it's not perfect, but I'm getting some giggles out of it.
Did you hear in the previews for next week there was some glass smashing as Joe was upset?
The part that had me rolling was when he went on to smash the plate and say "You are dead to us!"
Classic!
Old 09-14-03, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by quashmonger
Am I the only one who thinks that MATT IS REALLY THE ACTOR AND THE JOKE IS ON BOTH THE VIEWERS AND THE OTHER ACTORS??
The thought's crossed my mind, too -- primarily because Matt's role (of "clueless nice guy") seems as stereotyped as everyone else on the show. Also, some of his comments & behavior has come off as somewhat bizarre and "unreal" -- seeming designed to get the maximum drama out of every incident and/or push the other actor's buttons.

Just look at the "Hand on a High-Priced Hooker" competition for an example of how the real twist to this show could be on the other actors, and not on Matt at all.
Old 09-14-03, 10:26 PM

This is a common theory amongst those who try to outguess every reality show that comes down the pike. But it's wrong.
Old 09-15-03, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Skorp
Just look at the "Hand on a High-Priced Hooker" competition for an example of how the real twist to this show could be on the other actors, and not on Matt at all.
Yeah, but that's just not as funny.
Old 09-16-03, 09:05 PM

Matt is NOT an actor! How can anybody believe that he is an actor after tonights episode. It was heart wrenching to watch him break down because of the pressure.

And on a side note, Spike TV blew it big time by showing next week's preview with 10 minutes left to go in this show! Bad, bad Spike!

We shall see what happens next week. I cannot wait.

Chris
Old 09-16-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
thats what i said in the 7th post in this thread.

"what if joe schmo was the one who was putting on the rest of the actors.
so it turns around the whole thing."
Old 09-17-03, 12:14 AM

And you still believe that after seeing tonights episode?

Chris
Old 09-17-03, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This show is too funny. I was laughing so hard, especially when Kip said, "Aye, Aye, Captain" at the end. I actually didn't think this show was going to be as funny as its turning out to be.

I noticed no preview at the end of the show, but they managed to show one DURING this week's show before the last segment as mrpayroll noted. That was a silly move.

Last edited by BlackCapTen; 09-17-03 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-17-03, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah - I deliberately didn't watch the preview for next week hoping they'd show it again at the end... they didn't. :/
Old 09-17-03, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by BlackCapTen
This show is too funny. I was laughing so hard, especially when Kip said, "Aye, Aye, Captain' at the end.
That was my favorite part of the show. Next was Dr. Pat's talent exhibition. I liked how Earl couldn't help but laugh.

And Matt really is a schmo. Crying like a baby when the person he didn't pick get's voted off. "You can't understand the pressure".
Old 09-17-03, 07:42 AM

After this episode, I can see why Matt refuses to do any promos for the show. "Boo hoo hoo! Too much pressure!" That's probably what he said when he quit law school and moved back in with his parents.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.