Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Second Season "Project Greenlight" this Sunday!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Second Season "Project Greenlight" this Sunday!

Old 08-11-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Movie looks good, more of a comedy than I thought though.

After watching the series I cani't imagine Kyle or Efram ever working on another movie, 2 of the biggest tools ever seen on TV.
Old 08-11-03, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This episode must have shown the only 4 funny things in the film if they got a 48 for the entire movie. Kyle needs a serious reality check.
Old 08-11-03, 08:42 AM

I must admit with all that pressure on them in those last few days, Kyle and Efram actually made me laugh with their "Negativo" bit on Jeff Baliss. Where's that humor been the last couple of weeks?

Speaking of weeks, not months...why must these PG features be so rushed? The shoot for Shaker Heights was, what, 12 weeks vs. about 3-4 times that for a "regular" feature. Post was a third that of a "normal" film? Why? Is that what studios do with first-time directors? Why would there be so much pressure on these PG projects when Miramax has a vested interest in taking their time with them? They're just asking for problems when they make a high pressure situation even worse.
Old 08-11-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Because of the budget and resources Miramax has commited to the project, that's all these new first-time directors get in terms of the shooting schedule and post-production.

I was getting a kick out of the laid-back attitude of the editor that basically just sat back and let the directors edit the film they way they wanted.
Old 08-11-03, 09:25 AM

Good point, Patman. When someone is nominated for an Oscar, chances are good they know what they're doing.
Old 08-11-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the Negativo stuff was pretty funny, particularly the way Balis quietly reacted to it all.

das
Old 08-11-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by Patman
I was getting a kick out of the laid-back attitude of the editor that basically just sat back and let the directors edit the film they way they wanted.
It's a win-win situation for the editor. His name goes in the credits as editor, and if it's bad then he says "the directors effed this one".
Old 08-12-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by pezboy
Speaking of weeks, not months...why must these PG features be so rushed? The shoot for Shaker Heights was, what, 12 weeks vs. about 3-4 times that for a "regular" feature. Post was a third that of a "normal" film?
The shoot wasn't 12 weeks. I thought it was around 22 days.
Maybe 12 weeks for the entire production?
Old 08-18-03, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Project Greenlight 08-17-03

For a just a minute there, I actually thought this film wouldn't be released. That was a pretty dramatic turnaround for the studio. I'm actually shocked they gave the go-ahead of the final cut without a second test screening.

I'm also happy they didn't go with the voice-over. I can't think of too many movies made better with it. I guess Blade Runner comes to mind whenever I hear the idea brought up.

The whole system has certainly forced these directors to give up on their "vision" and follow the direction of the studio.

The movie opens this Friday, correct? Has anyone seen any commercials?
Old 08-18-03, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Balis gave a great speech to Chris Moore on the sidewalk.
Old 08-18-03, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I know you have to play that "yes, man" game when you're in the producing mode to keep any longevitiy in the Hollywood system, but it was sort of disappointing to see Chris Moore just roll over on Efren and Kyle when Rick turned negative on that interim cut for the studio after the marketing department basically started to dictate the tone of the film *after* principle shooting was already done (with no re-shoots budgeted for pick-up shots to get more "comedic" footage).

I wasn't all that impressed by Jeff throughout the season, so it good to see him step up and slap Chris around to his senses. I think Efren and Kyle have a second career as comedy skit writers/performers if the directing gig doesn't pan out.
Old 08-18-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't seen any of this seasons PGL, but from what I've heard it's a lot different from the first one. Instead of showing a guy fufill his vision, it's more about how the industry beats you into submission. Is that the gist of it, or am I only hearing about the bad parts?

D
Old 08-18-03, 08:50 AM

I may be a cynic, but isn't it just a tiny bit possible Rick Schwartz and Mirmax "absolutely loved" the final product? They're smart enough to know this will be aired just a week or two before release. What are they going to do, badmouth the film and the whole PG concept at this pont? Now us viewers get to see Miramax approving the film, so therefore it's gained some type of "credibility". Whatever. "Stolen Summer" must've really caused some ill will.

By the way, I have seen Shia do some talk shows in the last week. Don't know about Amy Smart or anyone else. One would have to think this will gross a bit more than "Stolen Summer's" paltry take of $119,841.
Old 08-18-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amy Smart will be on Jimmy Kimmell this week. Anyone know how wide this is opening?
Old 08-18-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They made it sound like this week will just be NY and LA.
Old 08-18-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Am I the only one that really digs Chris Moore. He is really what makes the show enjoyable to me. He knows what he is doing & I love the way he goes about his business. I loved when he was on the phone with Jeff & he said something like he just can't stand these two guys. And he isn't to faced about it at all, the entire season he was taking shots at them, low on patience with them, laughing at them. As far as Hollywood goes he just seems like a straight shooter to me. And this season alone was worth it just to see him fall off that chair.

But I just cannot see these directors making it in Hollywood. Maybe Kyle, but who the hell would EVER want to work with Ephram.
Old 08-21-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the movie opens tomorrow, any reviews yet?
Old 08-21-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheB...ights-1124945/
Old 08-21-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That Shia kid is so annoying... I think he is void of talnet. Either that or this movie just is so horrible... or both. I enjoyed watching the show to basically laugh at how baaaad it was. Especially Shia... I mean people being moved by the crying scene in the hospital? Horrid! My eyes... saw the trailer too. Not good... not good...
Old 08-21-03, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You must have watched a different show. Shai is awesome has tons of talent & the movie looks like it could be decent. I'm still a little skepticle after watching the show though.
Old 08-22-03, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Clicked on the "Hollywood Reporter". Not good, but not that bad either. The movie clocks in at a whopping 80 minutes.
Old 08-22-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Has anyone else looked at Kyle & Efram's imdb profiles? those guys did a ton of things on Reindeer Games (A Ben Affleck movie) & then they were "chosen at random" to direct the next PG movie (A Ben Affleck co-production)
Old 08-22-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a different Reindeer Games.
Old 08-23-03, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by WhattheFFF
You must have watched a different show. Shai is awesome has tons of talent & the movie looks like it could be decent. I'm still a little skepticle after watching the show though.
Ill have to disagree... I even cringe when I catch some "Even Stevens" on Disney. And everytime I've seen Shia on interviews, etc.. he seems to act like a little brat.
Old 08-24-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Project Greenlight 2: 8/24/03

Booo! Atlanta's not on the list of the 10 cities, so hoping for a wider release if it does well next weekend in those 10 cities.

The last episode was a good wrap-up for the season, and I don't think they pulled too many punches, and didn't try hiding the warts of the personalities involved in this huge collaborative process.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.