Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Second Season "Project Greenlight" this Sunday!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Second Season "Project Greenlight" this Sunday!

Old 07-21-03, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Patman
Hey, that was a quick-paced hour, and boy are those 2 directors sneaky or what? I have no doubt this is exactly what they wanted to do in terms of interjecting script re-writes on the fly to get their own film on the screen, no matter how far off they veer from the source material. It should be interesting to see if they can salvage the film given the deviations from the script and the footage they've shot.
I know we're only getting a small slice of everything that goes on and the show's editing is really playing it up, but: I agree, everything these directors do just seems to be based on their own agenda and they'll do anything to get their way.

Just because it's "easier" doesn't make it better. They need to just shoot the script as is. They didn't win for their writing skills.
Old 07-21-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know why they did a double episode (1 hr) last night?
Old 07-21-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jbrotheim
Anyone know why they did a double episode (1 hr) last night?
I think it was just because it started with the first day of filming.
Old 07-21-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To paraphrase Chris Moore:

"Either these guys are really nave, or they're passive aggresive manipulating ****s."

Old 07-21-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At first I thought Kyle and Efram were the perfect choices to direct this film. I thought Jessica would have turned it into a melodramatic movie of the week. But now, I'm with Chris Moore. These guys are passive agressive. They have never had to deal with a writer, producers and a crew that now what they are doing. Changing things on the set to make it easier isn't going to make the crew's job easier.
Old 07-21-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts
I thought it was crappy to bring Jessica to the set. If I were one of the directors that would pi$$ me off royally.

I wonder about some of their choices. Since when is a kick in the balls better than a rifle butt to the face? Maybe with Butch & Sundance in 1969, but it's a little played by now.

I still don't understand Miramax's reluctance to use Bill Sadler. OK, Christopher Llyod is a 'name', sure, but since when is Christopher McDonald a bigger name than someone with a major role in what IMDB indicates is one of the most popular films of the past 20 years?

BTW: I loved Kyle's response when hearing that Lloyd would pass. "Great Scott!". Classic!
Old 07-21-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What was with Kyle tearing up at the hospital scene? Wuss!
Old 07-21-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Decker <HR SIZE=1>I still don't understand Miramax's reluctance to use Bill Sadler. OK, Christopher Llyod is a 'name', sure, but since when is Christopher McDonald a bigger name than someone with a major role in what IMDB indicates is one of the most popular films of the past 20 years?<HR SIZE=1>

Yeah, I don't get that either. The whole "name" nonsense is silly. I would wager that more people know Sadler by NAME than McDonald, or at least equal. Hell, most people I know just call him Shooter McGavin anyway. No one, not even the most fickle movie-goer, is going to go see a movie because it stars Christopher McDonald. I like him as an actor and everything, but he's not that type of name. I don't get that "logic."

Quoth Decker <HR SIZE=1>BTW: I loved Kyle's response when hearing that Lloyd would pass. "Great Scott!". Classic! <HR SIZE=1>

That was very funny, mainly because it was such a knee-jerk reaction.

das
Old 07-21-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Please tell me that Miramax is going to debut this film before Sundance. Although "Stolen Summer" was a weak film to begin with, I bet that it would have fared a little better had they used the marginal momentum built from "Project Greenlight" to market the film. Why wouldn't they introduce it shortly after the season finale?
Old 07-21-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the plan is i think for late august, i.e. right after the season finale!
Old 07-21-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never saw the first season, but I am really into this season. It's actually the only TV show I watch. But what I don't get, & I understand we don't see much of the actual film or script, but I just don't understand why they chose this script & these directors. The script seems like a dime a dozen plot, this story has been told so many times. And it seems like such a straight forward movie to direct (perhaps that is the point with such a short shooting schedule).

What I like the most is Chris Moore, he hasn't produced any mega-movies aside from Pie, but the guy absolutely knows what he is doing, I believe he went to Harvard so he is very educated, & I really like the way he handles everything. And I also really like Shia. I can't stand the directors, I just don't get it, if I was making my first actual legit movie, & it was b/c of the likes of Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, & a big time producer, I would do everything these professionals said.
Old 07-24-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I was making my first actual legit movie, & it was b/c of the likes of Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, & a big time producer, I would do everything these professionals said.
I would try to do whatever the **** I wanted and could get away with. This is THIER one chance at thier dream, not Afflecks, Damons, Moores or Ballis'.

These guys are taking the bull by the horns, and If it was me, the producers, writer, or Miramax would have to drag me down kicking and screaming off every stand I wanted to take.

How long is the whole "You guys should be thankfull for the competition and just listen to us" crap going to last? First of all, Miramax went into the PG competition TO MAKE MONEY not because they love the small time director so spare me the **** about how Kyle and Effram should grovel at thier feet.

And whats the point of winning? If you won the lottery would you be forced to thank the State every day and only spent the money as they see fit?

The producers (who suck as managers, face it) are too damn informal and then they have a **** when the amatures break protocol. I have been COMPLETLY been unimpressed by two seasons worth of Moore and Ballis. The AD's have been good however.

One last point, If you got one chance to make your dreams come true and it failed, wouldnt you rather have failed by doing what you felt was best and just not been quite good enough, or would you rather have to spend the rest of your life thinking "I had one shot and spent the whole time being thankful to other people for the opportunity and feeling the need to follow thier directions against my judjment"?

Easy answer.
Old 07-24-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think it has to do with thanking Miramax for the opportunity. This is a special circumstance type thing. This isn't really their movie to do as they please. They won a contest where I'm sure it was implicitly stated they would have to follow some guidelines.

PG changed the rules from last year to allow a writer have her/his script made by the winning director. The writer is expected to have input in how her/his script is adapted to the screen. In the "real world", the writer would have been told to f**k off a long time ago and script doctors would have been brought in to make the script better. However, this is PG and the director doesn't have the authority to change the script as they see fit. Because they made changes on the fly, it put them behind in shooting and going over budget.

Now having said all that - I wouldn't just do whatever the professionals told me because as we've all seen, Jeff Ballis can be stupid. You have to work within the confines of the system if you want to play with a major studio. Otherwise, you need to just make independent films. The directors should have consulted with the writer if they wanted to make changes to the script. Not including her only showed that they do not respect her and want to push her out of the picture.
Old 07-24-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For my own curiosity, other than the PG film, have there been any other films with two directors that weren't related? Because after having seen the crap these two guys have pulled and are trying to pull, I can see why initially they didn't want to go with a directing team.
Old 07-24-03, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by WWE Jedi
For my own curiosity, other than the PG film, have there been any other films with two directors that weren't related
West Side Story (Robbins/ Wise ) --Oscar Winners
Heaven Can Wait (Beatty / Henry) --Oscar Nominees
Old 07-24-03, 08:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Decker
I still don't understand Miramax's reluctance to use Bill Sadler. OK, Christopher Llyod is a 'name', sure, but since when is Christopher McDonald a bigger name than someone with a major role in what IMDB indicates is one of the most popular films of the past 20 years?
I don't get it either. I understand the name recognition of Gary Cole or Christopher Lloyd over Sadler, but Christopher McDonald? Was it because McDonald's TV show was viewed by more people (being on CBS) than Sadler's (being on WB/UPN)? Or that McDonald's had his name above the title on more movies (which were straight-to-video) than Sadler? More people know Die Hard 2 and The Shawshank Redemption than Thelma & Louise or McDonald's four minute role in The Perfect Storm.
Old 07-28-03, 08:49 AM

Project Greenlight 7_27

I've come up with two new drinking games while watching last night's episode. Take a drink:

1) Whenever Chris Moore is shown with a different haircut. What is up with that, BTW? They must've shown 6 different 'dos over the episode. How far back are some of these interviews?

and

2) Whenever someone says today's scene/shoot/location is "the most crucial *blank* in the whole movie." Last time is was the hospital conversation between father and son, now we're told it's the wedding sequence. BTW, isn't this a comedy/drama movie? The only funny scene they've showed was the paint store sequence, which was pretty funny.
Old 07-28-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

At the beginning of each new episode, everyone should drink how many pounds they think Moore has gained since last week. I fully expect him to explode like Thunder in Big Trouble in Little China for the season finale.

das
Old 07-28-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just keep the chairs away from Moore's butt!
Old 07-28-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally the shortcomings of a 2-headed directorship rear their ugly heads in the process. This is precisely why Miramax had reservations on selecting a 2-person director team to direct a film. The chances that both directors are always on the same creative page are remote over a long shoot schedule. I felt bad for Shia and Amy getting conflicting directions that whole afternoon.

Wasn't it amazing how much work it took just to get about 10 seconds of footage (Anson Mount's scene just outside the church)?
Old 07-28-03, 11:12 AM

Take a drink every time someone says the word "process".

Man, Kyle and Effraim are just WAY too sensitive.
Old 07-28-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Those directors are total suck. they are ruining this flick from what i can tell....should have gone with the stalker woman director.....
Old 07-28-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I must say the second greatest moment of the season so far (obviously a distant second to when Moore breaks the chair) is when Sadler and Shia ignore Efram while he tries to impose his opinions during rehearsal.
Old 07-28-03, 02:56 PM

It's really interesting to watch these two directors. Humility is one aspect of directing that I don't think anyone has a firm grasp of. They didn't like Moore, and Bailis offering input in front of their stars. They also have an incredibly difficult time saying, "We don't know," and "We were wrong." People on a film set can deal with director's saying these two statements, it doesn't mean that they're going to immediately think you're weak and jump all over you. Their insecurities are painful. I kept thinking, during the scene in the limo, if you don't know how they should read these lines, ask the writer!!! That was probably the single best case scenario of why she was there, and they couldn't ask her, because they've been s***ting all over her for the past 4+ weeks.

On another note, I thought the writer gave an incredibly awful performance as a bridesmaid, just her smile enough ruined that scene for me.
Old 07-28-03, 03:03 PM

If there was someone even remotely smart there on that set, they might have pointed out that the one scene that could have been shot somewhere else was the limo converstation, since it's just an interior shot. Maybe they should have done that one last and started with the scenes outside the church. Perhaps if Chris ever took his head out of his box of donuts, he might have noticed that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.