Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-17, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by slop101
Good for him Scahill.

You don't give trolls a platform, regardless of how much "ammunition" you may have against them.
You ban them on websites, and you sure as shit don't invite them on your show.
Agreed.

I've only seen Scahill on a few segments on television but he always seemed pretty objective and intelligent.

Originally Posted by JTH182
I wonder if this is just Bill's way of exposing people like this to his viewers who may not be aware they exist on the other side. First Tomi Lauren, now this guy... He has had Anne Coulter on A LOT in the past.
Originally Posted by CRM114
Good for Maher. You can't be afraid of dicks like Milo. You need to expose him and ridicule him.
Doubtful. It's more like mutual promotion for both. Milo gets his profile raised by being on Real Time with Bill Maher, and Bill Maher gets more people talking about his show with controversial guests like the attractive Lahren, and charismatic Milo.

It just goes to show, that you can be a despicable person, but as long as you're attractive or funny and charismatic, people will like you.

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

Unfortunately, most people have never actually listened to Milo. They hear a couple soundbites or quotes, and they're ready to burn him at the stake. The guy's a snarky British twink who writes a humorous political/social column. I've heard a lot of liberal comedians/celebs/bloggers that make comments which are just as offensive.
Nah, I've watched most of his college talks, tv appearances and interviews.I actually enjoyed Milo's stuff early on, but he's become pretty despicable.
He's articulate, witty and charismatic but he's all style and no substance. He blindly agrees with Trump on everything, and when Trump reverses course, Milo does too, like when Trump said guns in a gay night club would have prevented the Orlando massacre.

He mocks female "social justice warriors" and feminists, but gets self-righteous when people mock MRAs and gamers.

He sees the alt-right, Christians, conservatives, and MRAs as demographics to exploit. There's no sincerity in what he says.
Old 02-18-17, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie

Doubtful. It's more like mutual promotion for both. Milo gets his profile raised by being on Real Time with Bill Maher, and Bill Maher gets more people talking about his show with controversial guests like the attractive Lahren, and charismatic Milo.

It just goes to show, that you can be a despicable person, but as long as you're attractive or funny and charismatic, people will like you.

I hadn't seen anything of Milo's before tonight, but while I was watching the first thing that came to mind was "performance art," which is funny since I see I'm not the only one in this thread who thinks that. He's just another Millennial who grew up in the age of YouTube who has a schtick and a fast mouth.

Just like Tomi Lahren, he has taken what people like Limbaugh, Beck, Coulter and countless others have done and applied it to the new generation to drive hits, clicks, likes, and followers. They'll ride this fame driven by controversy for as long as they can and get rich doing it.

He even admitted the secret during the interview: that it's easy to get people triggered, and he gets off on it. Larry telling him to go fuck himself did nothing but validate his brand.

The best thing to do with people like him is ignore him. The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference.

Bravo to him for finding a way to get rich though, I'm almost jealous.
Old 02-18-17, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

So this was the Milo guy that the Berkley liberals went apeshit over and rioted? What the fuck?

Those dumbasses would have done themselves a favor by letting him get the publicity from speaking because I can promise you that Redneck Bubba Joe and Christian Betsy Sue who are "liking" and forwarding all of Breitbart's stories on Facebook, Twitter and the like have no fucking clue that a flamboyantly gay guy is behind the scenes pulling the strings.
Old 02-18-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

That little shit doesn't give a single fuck about being "right" or "wrong". He only wants to rattle people just for the "LULZ".

He admitted as much when he said he wanted to get all 3 panelists to tell him to fuck off.
You can't "debate" or have any meaningful discourse with someone who's only intention is to piss you off to the point of profanity.

He's a youtube comment, personified.
Old 02-18-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

That's a good way to put it. You know when you're watching some old Michael Jordan slam dunk, and there's some guy who can't help but call Jordan the n word and starts complaining about racism against white people? That's kind of like what Milo picks up on, and puts into what he says.

Milo is shoulders deep in that Youtube activity, the way I get shoulders deep in film. Or the way Christopher Hitchens was all about religion. I think I've chosen a healthy obsession. If that's Milo's thing, I guess he should go for it. Free speech is there to be exercised, even if I don't agree with it.
Old 02-18-17, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I think Bill still hasn't gotten his act together since coming back. Don't count on this being a slam dunk.
Good prediction, no? Bill never got a handle on him. So Milo ran the conversation and Bill was stuck mostly having to agree with him.

Last edited by Astrofan; 02-18-17 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

In a way, I think Maher succeeded. I'm willing to bet that half of those Berkeley protesters had never even Yiannopoulos speak. Probably only read snippets of his writings, or just read what OTHERS have said about him. I'm certainly in that category. Once you see he's just an annoying twat, he's a lot less formidable.
Old 02-18-17, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 02-18-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

Those dumbasses would have done themselves a favor by letting him get the publicity from speaking because I can promise you that Redneck Bubba Joe and Christian Betsy Sue who are "liking" and forwarding all of Breitbart's stories on Facebook, Twitter and the like have no fucking clue that a flamboyantly gay guy is behind the scenes pulling the strings.
I'd bet that most don't care. When the Orlando massacre happened and Milo was using it as an opportunity to denounce Islam, Christian conservatives were arm and arm with Milo praying for him.

"Thank you Lord for this gentleman right here with me...God you love all your children..."

Milo's helping the conservative cause by making it look cool. If many conservative Christians didn't have a problem with Sarah Palin mentioning "baptism" as a punchline for advocating torture, or Trump being a lecherous fornicator why would Milo being gay matter?

Plus, Milo already has that angle covered if it were a problem. He's mentioned that he'd rather be heterosexual, he thinks transgenderism is a mental disorder, said lesbians don't exist, and spoken out against gay marriage.

As openly gay and flamboyant as he is, he has the "right" opinions. He knows he'd be better off not being gay.

Originally Posted by Paff
In a way, I think Maher succeeded. I'm willing to bet that half of those Berkeley protesters had never even Yiannopoulos speak. Probably only read snippets of his writings, or just read what OTHERS have said about him. I'm certainly in that category. Once you see he's just an annoying twat, he's a lot less formidable.
I'm pretty sure they have. He has both his full speeches on line, as well as shorter clips of him speaking. Considering how EVERYONE is on Instagram/twitter/youtube/etc, I really doubt 20-somethings protesting him haven't actually heard him speak.

Last edited by brayzie; 02-18-17 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can't "debate" or have any meaningful discourse with someone who's only intention is to piss you off to the point of profanity.

Yup. He's always says that the people protesting him should debate him. The reason they don't is because 1) it only helps to legitimize him, and 2) you can't have a successful debate with someone when the other person is inconsistent in their own logic, willing to say or do anything to play to the audience.
Old 02-18-17, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow. I knew the name, read some of the stories about him, saw the protests - this was my first time seeing. I was expecting a lot of things, but what I didn't expect was disappointment. Who the hell would take that guy seriously? Is this Jim Bruer in a long form Tony Clifton-type bit? I think Maher had him on just to expose this junior high cafeteria queen for what he is.
Old 02-18-17, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 02-18-17, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mike7162
I think Maher had him on just to expose this junior high cafeteria queen for what he is.
I'm still surprised that so many people here assume good intentions on the part of celebrities and entertainers. Their goals are to stay in the spotlight and make money.

If Milo's given a platform on Youtube, television programs, and on college campuses and he still hasn't been "exposed," how is appearing on yet another television program going to make a difference? Bill Maher wasn't even that critical of him, even complimenting him by comparing him to Christopher Hitchens.

Last edited by brayzie; 02-18-17 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I'm still surprised that so many people here assume good intentions on the part of celebrities and entertainers. Their goals are to stay in the spotlight and make money.

If Milo's given a platform on Youtube, television programs, and on college campuses and he still hasn't been "exposed," how is appearing on yet another television program going to make a difference? Bill Maher wasn't even that critical of him, even complimenting him by comparing him to Christopher Hitchens.
I agree. Bill seemed oddly cordial, which I didn't expect (the same could be said for Tomi Lahren last week). I blame the weed.

Last edited by mike7162; 02-18-17 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Why was Leah Remini kept completely separate from the panel? She didn't even appear on Overtime? Anyone know why?
Old 02-19-17, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12
Why was Leah Remini kept completely separate from the panel? She didn't even appear on Overtime? Anyone know why?
We'll have to see if they do it again next week, then maybe it's a new thing. Otherwise, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe she really just didn't want to do the panel, but he already had Milo as the interview.
Old 02-19-17, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts

She knows those are possums and not rats, doesn't she?
Old 02-19-17, 09:42 AM

So we could get a real view of that awful dress with the matching dyed shoes.
Old 02-19-17, 12:04 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I imagine he really wanted to interview with her and not just get two questions in. Also, some people don't want to go on the show and talk politics. Maybe it was her own condition to be seperate.
Old 02-19-17, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
I imagine he really wanted to interview with her and not just get two questions in. Also, some people don't want to go on the show and talk politics. Maybe it was her own condition to be seperate.
Separate.
Old 02-19-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Yeah, I think Remini just wanted to discuss Scientology and not politics in general, so it was a separate segment rather than have her be part of the panel.
Old 02-20-17, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I had never seen Milo before, just heard of him because of the protest. When he first walked out and starting talking, I'm like "This is him?"

Liberals definitely should have let him speak at the university.

Last edited by Throwing Copper; 02-20-17 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-20-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Milo is just a troll who's made it this far because liberals take the bait too easily. Ignore him and the troll will go away.
Old 02-20-17, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When it rains, it pours. Today...
- Milo "uninvited" by CPAC
- Milo's book canceled by Simon & Schuster

Apparently there's some video out there (edited / out of context according to Milo) showing him saying gay men having sex with underaged boys isn't necessarily all bad if the boys are gay as they can help the little tykes learn about themselves and who they are. Or something like that.
Old 02-21-17, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And today...

Breitbart News editor Milo Yiannopoulos has resigned after coming under fire from other conservatives over comments on sexual relationships between boys and men.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.