TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by Mike86
Maher is by no means a perfect analyst and clearly has his bias towards the Left, however I think he's better than a lot of the others just for the fact that he calls it basically how he sees it. He'll give both sides shit if they screw something up which is something that can't be said for a lot of the others (particularly the analysts from the Right/Fox News) who seem to turn a blind eye to anything their party does and will just do or say anything to belittle the other party.
The problem with Bill Maher is that he is an idiot. I used to watch his show a long, long time ago for a while until I realized that he's an idiot. He used to call himself a libertarian until he learned what it actually means to be one. I can't say how he is now because I can't stand the guy but what pissed me of about the guy is that he has no business talking about politics because he doesn't understand them. He's as qualified in talking about politics as I am about quantum physics, which I'm not BTW...

I would rather watch the Daily Show. Jon tilts to the left obviously, but I feel like he has some integrity, like when he called out Rachel Meadow and MSNBC for being guilty of the same shtick as Fox News couple years back, something which Bill is too partisan and stupid to do... And it's a sad thing indeed where the best source of information even though it has its bias is a show on Comedy Central, very fitting for our times indeed...
Old 06-29-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by purplechoe
I like the fact that he stands up for the Palestinians and I admire that he actually walks the talk and helps people with building affordable housing.
It's not that Carter is pro-Palestinian as much as he's anti-Israel/anti-Jew.

Antisemitism is fairly common amongst Southern Christians of his generation.

As a teenager, I worked on one of the very first HFH projects in Buena Vista, GA. (1977-78) Trust me, Carter only hammers nails when the press is around. When the cameras leave, so does he. It's called a photo op.
Old 06-29-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm pro-Palestinian and I would be pigeonholed into the same anti-Israel/anti-Jew group as well. I don't buy that he's Anti-Semetic. Do you even know what Semetic means? Most the of the Jewish people living in Israel today are not of Semetic descent but of European. Judaism is not a race of people but a religion. I can make a case that the Jews living in Israel today are Anti-Semetic. It's just that people have a very low understanding of the terms they use constantly. In my opinion the Jews are just as much of a religious fanatic as they claim that those in Iran are. God gave them that land? Please... How is that not religious fanaticism?
Old 06-29-12, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
It's not that Carter is pro-Palestinian as much as he's anti-Israel/anti-Jew.

Antisemitism is fairly common amongst Southern Christians of his generation.

As a teenager, I worked on one of the very first HFH projects in Buena Vista, GA. (1977-78) Trust me, Carter only hammers nails when the press is around. When the cameras leave, so does he. It's called a photo op.
Also, the guy is probably almost 90 years old, what do you expect him to do? Build them himself?
Old 06-29-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rachel Meadow
Maddow.
Old 06-29-12, 08:23 PM

Also, the guy is probably almost 90 years old, what do you expect him to do? Build them himself?
He didn't build them 35 years ago either.
Old 06-29-12, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Maddow.
thanks for the correction...

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
Old 06-29-12, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2012-35=1977

He was president then. Did you expect him to do that on the weekends? There are lots of things I would disagree with him about, I just think the guy is the least hypocritical of them (in my lifetime) that's all.
Old 06-29-12, 08:33 PM

I'm pro-Palestinian and I would be pigeonholed into the same anti-Israel/anti-Jew group as well. I don't buy that he's Anti-Semetic. Do you even know what Semetic means? Most the of the Jewish people living in Israel today are not of Semetic descent but of European. Judaism is not a race of people but a religion. I can make a case that the Jews living in Israel today are Anti-Semetic. It's just that people have a very low understanding of the terms they use constantly. In my opinion the Jews are just as much of a religious fanatic as they claim that those in Iran are. God gave them that land? Please... How is that not religious fanaticism?
Look up Antisemitism in any dictionary you choose.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anti-semitism
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anti-semitism
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/anti-Semitism

I'm an Atheist. I have no dog in this religious fight.

I do know one thing. If given the choice of having to either spend time in Israel or Iran, I'd choose Israel. Easy choice for me.
Old 06-29-12, 08:36 PM

2012-35=1977

He was president then. Did you expect him to do that on the weekends? There are lots of things I would disagree with him about, I just think the guy is the least hypocritical of them (in my lifetime) that's all.
Carter has never spent any significant amount of time building anything for anyone in his entire life. Not as a young man, not as an old man. If this shatters your illusion, I'm sorry.
Old 06-29-12, 08:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Or a fool on the Internet.
being a fool is a much lower threshold than being evil or a bad person, you may be foolish for your thoughts on Gillespie but your choice in DVDs is very good at least. anyone with the little mermaid platinum edition though must not be evil

Last edited by Philly30; 06-29-12 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-29-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm so sick of seeing the same people on this show. The Democracy Now (I think that's where she's from) lady was the only person that hasn't been on several times or I don't recall seeing her. I like Fareed and the ex-mayor (is he really the Lt. Governor right now AND hosting a show on Current TV? I don't think someone holding office should have a tv show even if Current TV is only seen by a few dozen people), I just want to see new people more often. And Lizz Winstead is one annoying liberal and rarely funny. Her voice is enough to make me want to change the channel. Did she create the Daily Show for Kilborn? It would surprise me if she was there during much of Stewart's time, because she seems really annoying.

With this show gone too, I'm really hoping Big Brother has a cast that justifies me getting the feeds, because I need some mindless television or I'll od on work and my family.
Old 06-29-12, 11:10 PM

yes gavin newsome is the LT governor, former mayor of san fran, he really annoyed bill o'reilly which always enjoyed
Old 06-30-12, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Philly30
yes gavin newsome is the LT governor, former mayor of san fran, he really annoyed bill o'reilly which always enjoyed
They also listed him as a tv show host.
Old 06-30-12, 12:22 AM

yep that too
Old 06-30-12, 01:07 AM

I wanted to stick to discussing the show, but there's so much wrong in your post I had to respond:

First you should spell the word right--Semitic. Second the phase antisemitism is a recent invention--the 19th century. It was used at that time, and up to today, pretty much solely in regard to Jews. Third, "Judaism is not a race but a religion", is true because Judaism is a religion practiced by many, but not all, Jews. A Jewish person is not necessarily one who practices Judaism, but is a person linked (or believed to be linked) by heritage to the Jewish patriarchs. A Jewish atheist does not practice Judaism. And lastly anyone who persecutes Jews, by word or deed, is, by definition, engaging in antisemitic behavior.

It's just that people have a very low understanding of the terms they use constantly.
You said it brother.
Old 06-30-12, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I wanted to stick to discussing the show, but there's so much wrong in your post I had to respond:

First you should spell the word right--Semitic. Second the phase antisemitism is a recent invention--the 19th century. It was used at that time, and up to today, pretty much solely in regard to Jews. Third, "Judaism is not a race but a religion", is true because Judaism is a religion practiced by many, but not all, Jews. A Jewish person is not necessarily one who practices Judaism, but is a person linked (or believed to be linked) by heritage to the Jewish patriarchs. A Jewish atheist does not practice Judaism. And lastly anyone who persecutes Jews, by word or deed, is, by definition, engaging in antisemitic behavior.

You said it brother.
maybe you should spell phrase correctly as well

Semitic means the people that lived in Palastine, todays Isreal. Those people would be Christians, Muslims as well as the Jews. Jews don't hold any kind exclusivity to that term.

How can one be a Jew if they don't practice Judaism? If my parents were Christians does that make me one automatically just because my parents were? How is one a Jew? Just because their parents were? A person is English, Polish, German, Italian, etc... because they were born there. One is not Jewish in my opinion just because your parents were, same way that a child of a Christian or Muslim is not necessarily one just because their parents were. In my opinion one is not a Jew, Christian, Muslim, unless they actually practice their religion. Do you get what I'm getting at? For some reason people get Judaism mixed up, they talk about is as if it was a race of people or something. It's not!

Have you ever heard of an atheist Jew. Some people would consider themselves that even though it doesn't make any sense if you think about it. The whole thing is such a clusterfuck...

And before people call me anti-semitic, my heroes are those of the Austrian school of economics, the founder of which is Jewish.

PS. An atheist Jew makes just as much sense as an atheist Christian or atheist Muslim.

Last edited by purplechoe; 06-30-12 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-30-12, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Maher is about as intellectually honest as that dipshit O'Reily and Obermann... Rachel Meadow has as much intellect as that idiot Hannity.
But there's one huge difference between Maher on those other guys. Do you see what it is?
Old 06-30-12, 09:30 AM

maybe you should spell phrase correctly as well

Semitic means the people that lived in Palastine, todays Isreal. Those people would be Christians, Muslims as well as the Jews. Jews don't hold any kind exclusivity to that term.

How can one be a Jew if they don't practice Judaism? If my parents were Christians does that make me one automatically just because my parents were? How is one a Jew? Just because their parents were? A person is English, Polish, German, Italian, etc... because they were born there. One is not Jewish in my opinion just because your parents were, same way that a child of a Christian or Muslim is not necessarily one just because their parents were. In my opinion one is not a Jew, Christian, Muslim, unless they actually practice their religion. Do you get what I'm getting at? For some reason people get Judaism mixed up, they talk about is as if it was a race of people or something. It's not!

Have you ever heard of an atheist Jew. Some people would consider themselves that even though it doesn't make any sense if you think about it. The whole thing is such a clusterfuck...

And before people call me anti-semitic, my heroes are those of the Austrian school of economics, the founder of which is Jewish.

PS. An atheist Jew makes just as much sense as an atheist Christian or atheist Muslim.
OK, I'm not going to get into name calling, but you appear quite ignorant of what you're talking about. I can't find any regular source (ie Webster's, Random House and other dictionaries) that defines semitic the way you do. You can't simply call a chair a table. And yes people other than Jews can be semitic, but by definition antisemitism refers to hate of Jews. I think you make be looking for the non-existent word, "antisemitcism." Do some research, you spent many sentences proving you don't know what you're talking about.

"In my opinion one is not a Jew, Christian, Muslim, unless they actually practice their religion. Do you get what I'm getting at?" Another example of what I'm talking about. By definition you can be a Jew without practicing Judaism. This is not true of Christianity or Islam. It doesn't matter what your opinion is, it is a fact. If your mother was Jewish your Jewish, period. You can convert and become Jewish, but you can't leave the tribe. Please don't respond, go read and learn.
Old 06-30-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
But there's one huge difference between Maher on those other guys. Do you see what it is?
It's either (A) Bill Maher is a comedian and doesn't pretend to be a journalist, or (B) better drugs.
Old 06-30-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

You're dead wrong.
Unlike the other two, a "Jewish" person denotes their race/ethnicity not necessarily their religion. That's why there are "Jews for Jesus", and also why a Jew can be "non-practicing" and/or an atheist.
Old 06-30-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do they just not have reference materials available where you live?
Old 06-30-12, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
You're dead wrong.
Unlike the other two, a "Jewish" person denotes their race/ethnicity not necessarily their religion. That's why there are "Jews for Jesus", and also why a Jew can be "non-practicing" and/or an atheist.
Thank you. I was going to mention Jews for Jesus. While most Jews find them an embarrassment, no one doubts they are Jews. In addition if they accept Christ as their savior (or as the son of God) then they are--Christians too. They just don't practice Judaism.

I bet that blows purplechoe's mind!
Old 06-30-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really have no desire to get involved in this "debate" but as a JEW who doesn't practice Judaism, I can say that we exist and I suppose we do so because we came out of our mother's Jewish vaginas.

I am a Jew, I do not consider myself a non-Jew just because I don't adhere to any religion and I, like most sensible Jews (and there are a few of us), find the Palestinian issue troubling and don't take a hard line stand on either side.

Like with almost everything else that is bad in the world, both sides are to blame and I'll probably live and die with both sides still blaming each other while political groups in Israel other countries line up to take sides to only help themselves and further their own agendas.

Not surprisingly, those agendas usually aren't for the long-term benefit of the Jewish people and the Palestinian people.
Old 06-30-12, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I really have no desire to get involved in this "debate" but as a JEW who doesn't practice Judaism, I can say that we exist and I suppose we do so because we came out of our mother's Jewish vaginas.
I've always wondered...is Jewish pussy kosher?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.