Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-13, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: Real Time With Bill Maher, Season 11 (2013)

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Atheist, Communist, and uppity black guy.
That's kinda' racist; originating in the south by white folk, talking about black folk who "don't know their place".
Old 10-26-13, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took it as Josh categorizing from the POV of certain folks who would be put off by the panel.

Overall, we enjoyed the episode here. Specifically, Maajid Nawaz, but also Michael Moore respectfully challenging Bill's views on Islam. And I don't like it just because someone challenges Bill's logic, but because it gives him a chance to clarify exactly what he thinks, and why he thinks that way.
Old 10-26-13, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Bill right on that whole Islam issue. Nawaz expanded on the admittedly complex reasons in the Overtime, but Plame and Moore trying to equate modern day extremist Christians to extremist Muslims was laughable and pathetic.
Old 10-26-13, 11:49 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I think Bill right on that whole Islam issue. Nawaz expanded on the admittedly complex reasons in the Overtime, but Plame and Moore trying to equate modern day extremist Christians to extremist Muslims was laughable and pathetic.
Tell that to George Tiller.

There are clearly far more extremist Muslims than extremist Christians, and extremist Islam has a tighter hold on the levers of power than does extremist Christianity. Because of that, extremist Islam is clearly a more pressing problem than extremist Christianity But Maher's point seemed to be that Islam was somehow unique in its ability to be corrupted in support of murderous agendas, and that is absolutely untrue.
Old 10-27-13, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
Tell that to George Tiller.

There are clearly far more extremist Muslims than extremist Christians, and extremist Islam has a tighter hold on the levers of power than does extremist Christianity. Because of that, extremist Islam is clearly a more pressing problem than extremist Christianity But Maher's point seemed to be that Islam was somehow unique in its ability to be corrupted in support of murderous agendas, and that is absolutely untrue.
It's in their text*, much more so than it is in the Christian text. Culture also plays a key part in it, but so much of the culture is derived from their religion. Trust me on this. I hate to whip this out, but I was born in Iran and have far more first hand knowledge about it than you might.

*edit to add:
The Quran contains at least 109 verses that call Muslims to war with nonbelievers for the sake of Islamic rule. Some are quite graphic, with commands to chop off heads and fingers and kill infidels wherever they may be hiding. Muslims who do not join the fight are called 'hypocrites' and warned that Allah will send them to Hell if they do not join the slaughter.

Unlike nearly all of the Old Testament verses of violence, the verses of violence in the Quran are mostly open-ended, meaning that they are not restrained by the historical context of the surrounding text. They are part of the eternal, unchanging word of Allah, and just as relevant or subjective as anything else in the Quran.

The context of violent passages is more ambiguous than might be expected of a perfect book from a loving God, however this can work both ways. Most of today's Muslims exercise a personal choice to interpret their holy book's call to arms according to their own moral preconceptions about justifiable violence. Apologists cater to their preferences with tenuous arguments that gloss over historical fact and generally do not stand up to scrutiny. Still, it is important to note that the problem is not bad people, but bad ideology.

Unfortunately, there are very few verses of tolerance and peace to abrogate or even balance out the many that call for nonbelievers to be fought and subdued until they either accept humiliation, convert to Islam, or are killed. Muhammad's own martial legacy - and that of his companions - along with the remarkable stress on violence found in the Quran have produced a trail of blood and tears across world history.

Last edited by slop101; 10-27-13 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-27-13, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts

People get whatever they want to out of their chosen religion.

Doesn't really matter what the Bible or Quran or any other holy text says; if the adherents want to slaughter unbelievers or commit honor killings, they will find a way to justify it with their religion.

The wonderful Christian bible sure didn't prevent the burning times, the inquisition, the crusades, manifest destiny, or any other atrocity its followers have perpetrated over the past two thousand years.
Old 10-27-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate to whip this out, but I was born in Iran and have far more first hand knowledge about it than you might.
Michael Moore, Bill Maher, Al Sharpton, Michelle Bachmann were all born in the U.S. and yet have very different views on Christianity. It's not wrong to give context to your opinions, but I don't see it as a trump card in the discussion.

And if we're going to make subjective proclamations as if they're objective fact, here's mine: Bill isn't right overall. If I had to give proxy to someone to make Islamic opinion decisions on my behalf, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with Maajid Nawaz doing it than Bill Maher. Maajid Nawaz's views point to a world that provides a structure to keep the majority of Muslims away from extremist radicals, and to minimize the impact of those who fit that description. Bill effectively (ignoring all evidence to the contrary) says, Islam is evil -- look at all the evidence (much of which can be applied to Christianity).

And again, to say that Islam does more explicit damage to the world NOW than Christianity does NOW (relegating the inquisitions, etc. as being "in the past" and thus no longer pertinent to the discussion), while not allowing for the fact that if one religion can go through growing pains and come out better while not allowing that another religion can do the same, just seems Xenophobic to me. If Bill had 10 Muslim friends, he wouldn't say half the stuff he says on the topic.

The bottom line is the vast majority of people practicing Islam are peaceful. And to say that it's because of Islam that, for instance, women are treated as second class citizens, while ignoring that in the bible, women are treated as second class citizens... well again, it's difficult for me to get to the inherent truth of the views espoused by the anti-Islam contingent when discussions are based upon such obvious double standards.

Last edited by MikahC; 10-27-13 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-27-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've studied both the Bible and the Koran and the thing is, in no ambiguous terms, the Koran CALLS for theocracies to be established and for anything that isn't in-keeping with their laws to be torn down, violently if necessary. Basically, religion and government are supposed to go hand in hand under Islam. Maybe if the Bible called for theocracies we'd have some of the issues we have in Islamic states, but it doesn't so we don't.

The issue is that now, more then in previous years, the modern world and it's values that are anathema to Islam are encroaching it and it's causing this reaction by the more militant aspects of it. And true that aspect is maybe a 10% minority, but 10% of a billion is a lot of people and that 10% is far, far greater than similarly barbaric Christians.
Old 11-01-13, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Was Ann Coulter on meth?
Old 11-02-13, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Was Ann Coulter on meth?
Now I have to go watch this.
Old 11-02-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

She was missing from the Overtime segment. Wonder why?
Old 11-02-13, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why even give people like that a platform? I don't think she believes a lot of what she says, but it's made her a fortune and it's gotten her fame. How do people like that really add anything to the discourse? We've all seen her shtick before.

Her fans probably watched the show and in their minds, it was an attack job by the liberal on the conservative, so it only polarizes more people and helps her sell even more books than she already would.
Old 11-02-13, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
She was missing from the Overtime segment. Wonder why?
Because she really is playing a character. Though she's been doing it for so long, she's started to believe her bullshit, but still knows well enough to not put herself in a situation that would really call out her bullshit, like on that panel. Maher by himself is safe for her, since they're obviously fuck-buddies, but anyone else would tear her apart, and she knows it.
Old 11-03-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

She's been on the panel of 3 before.
Old 11-05-13, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Because she really is playing a character. Though she's been doing it for so long, she's started to believe her bullshit, but still knows well enough to not put herself in a situation that would really call out her bullshit, like on that panel. Maher by himself is safe for her, since they're obviously fuck-buddies, but anyone else would tear her apart, and she knows it.
I have always wondered about this. He makes jokes about them being divorced twice etc. and many years ago he used to talk about fucking her.

Not really sure if it's true. But I wouldn't mind seeing what type of kid those two could produce.
Old 11-05-13, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Most of the extreme left-wing/right-wing pundits go on these type of shows that fit their ideology because its safe for them. I see the same liberals go on MSNBC shows, and the same conservatives go on FOX all of the time, cause they know the host won't call them out on their talking points.

Thats why these shows on the left and right are pretty much unwatchable anymore because they have gotten so partisan, and they stack the panels that it is frankly boring because there is no arguments. Most of these shows have panelists that ALL agree, which is ridiculous for a political show, or they have stacked panels where it is 3 people and the audience shouting down one lone person of another ideology.

Both sides do it now, because there are a base of partisan voters who just want to hear their side and don't want to be challenged with another view. Trust me I have friends and family (liberals only watch MSNBC and Bill Maher or go on Huffington Post), (while other friends and family who watch FOX and go on Drudge Report), because they know they are preaching to the choir.

I find it pretty sad for them because they are never challenged, and only hear one side and I think that has contributed to the partisan nature this country has become as we are essentially a 50/50 country, or in Presidential elections a 52/48 country. I am a conservative, but I love to hear other sides, as I used to watch MSNBC and Bill Maher all of the time, but now they are just mouthpieces for Obama, while FOX is a mouthpiece for the Republicans, so I try to avoid all political shows these days.
Old 11-05-13, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bill kidded about bedding Arianna Huffington as well. It's mostly just a dismissive joke he tells about certain women to explain their friendship (Arianna was a Republican when she first started appearing on Bill's shows). Last I heard, Bill had a black girlfriend who stays out of the spotlight. And apparently Ann Coulter was involved with Jimmy "J.J." Walker from Good Times... which falls into the category of, "OK, now I know she's kidding."

Whether they've actually been involved or not, I think it's safe to say Bill does find her attractive and intelligent, even if he disagrees with her conclusions.
Old 11-05-13, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ann Coulter also dated Bob Guccione Jr (son of the publisher of Penthouse magazine) and Andrew Stein.

Seems like she had a thing for liberal men.
Old 01-17-14, 01:02 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Real Time With Bill Maher (HBO) - Season 12 Thread

HBO Real Time Season Premiere Guests: Friday Jan. 17, 2014

The Interview:

Glenn Greenwald
is an investigative journalist, constitutional lawyer and author currently working to develop a brand-new news organization called “First Look Media.” Greenwald’s columns were previously featured on The Guardian and Salon.com and he is responsible for publishing Edward Snowden’s documents, exposing the large-scale domestic surveillance taking place under the Obama administration.

The Panel:

Jennifer Granholm
Served Michigan as Governor from 2003 to 2011 and co-authored The Governor’s Story: The Fight for Jobs and America’s Economic Future. She is now the Distinguished Practitioner of Law and Public Policy at Berkeley.

Steve Schmidt
Is a Republican strategist who advised the 2008 McCain/Palin campaign on their day-to-day operations. He is the Vice Chairman of Public Affairs at the public affairs firm Edelman, an MSNBC political analyst, and works with the ACLU on the issue of same-sex marriage.

James Carville
Was the lead strategist for President Bill Clinton’s 1992 presidential campaign. He currently teaches political science at Tulane University and is the author of several books, most recently Love & War: Twenty Years, Three Presidents, Two Daughters and One Louisiana Home with wife Mary Matalin.

Mid-Show Guest:

Mary Matalin served in the George W. Bush administration as Assistant to the President and Counselor to Vice President Dick Cheney. She co-hosts the national radio show Both Sides Now with Arianna Huffington, is the Visiting Distinguished Lecturer at Loyola University New Orleans, and authored Love & War: Twenty Years, Three Presidents, Two Daughters and One Louisiana Home with James Carville.
Old 01-17-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Real Time With Bill Maher (HBO) - Season 12 Thread

I can only tolerate his New Rules segments. I'm surprised he has room for guests with his ego in the studio space.
Old 01-17-14, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

I'll tune in for James Carville...he's always entertaining. I agree that Maher's ego is too big for his own good these days.
Old 01-17-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-17-14, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'll tune in for James Carville...he's always entertaining. I agree that Maher's ego is too big for his own good these days.
Plus his shirts are always entertaining.
Old 01-17-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
Plus his shirts are always entertaining.
What do you think? LSU purple and yellow tonight?
Old 01-17-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm definitely in for the Snowden/NSA stuff. Unfortunately, I'm apprehensive I'll hear Bill say, "Don't you think..." as opposed to, "Do you think..." while doing the interview. That's a little pet peeve of mine.

The James Carville / Mary Matalin relationship has always interested me. I'd have preferred her on the panel (maybe next time), but the episode looks like it has potential (depending on the topics).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.