Re: Real Time With Bill Maher (HBO) - Season 12 Thread

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
take a shot hit everytime Bill mentions pot around Willie Nelson
fixed
Old 01-24-14, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel like I'd just be wasting good weed after about the first 5 minutes.
Old 01-31-14, 06:06 AM

Received 4,680 Likes on 3,168 Posts

1/31/14
Representative Darrell Issa (R-CA), "12 Years a Slave" screenwriter John Ridley, Canadian Member of Parliament Chrystia Freeland, and MSNBC host Ronan Farrow.
Old 02-01-14, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Issa was a conservative I enjoyed listening to during this episode. Unfortunately, unless I missed something, his points didn't really get addressed.

Minimum Wage - Do we really need to have the same minimum wage for a 16-year-old kid as a 29-year old? Bill sidestepped the issue by saying the average age for a McDonald's worker is 29. OK, thanks for the information. Now what's the answer to the question posed? I'd say no.

Extending Unemployment - Do we really need to extend full unemployment benefits indefinitely for people who would do OK without them? If your spouse is making $90k+/year, maybe you don't get as much out of the system as someone who is single (or worse, a single parent). It's not that simple (your family expenses tend to be based on what your family income was), but it's at least worth having the conversation. If you're not working, you expect some pain and government can't alleviate all of it.
Old 02-01-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
Issa was a conservative I enjoyed listening to during this episode. Unfortunately, unless I missed something, his points didn't really get addressed.

Minimum Wage - Do we really need to have the same minimum wage for a 16-year-old kid as a 29-year old? Bill sidestepped the issue by saying the average age for a McDonald's worker is 29. OK, thanks for the information. Now what's the answer to the question posed? I'd say no.

Extending Unemployment - Do we really need to extend full unemployment benefits indefinitely for people who would do OK without them? If your spouse is making $90k+/year, maybe you don't get as much out of the system as someone who is single (or worse, a single parent). It's not that simple (your family expenses tend to be based on what your family income was), but it's at least worth having the conversation. If you're not working, you expect some pain and government can't alleviate all of it.
Why should a 16 year old do the same work and get paid less? The 29 year old would conceivably work more hours and have more of a chance for promotion. Why not have that conversation about benefits before you cut it indiscriminately?
Old 02-01-14, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Do we really need the same minimum wage for women as men? Single people as married? Blacks as whites?

Why discriminate based on age?
Old 02-02-14, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I personally think that it is OK for the minimum wage to start lower (such as where it is now), but then should start gradually stepping up after a few months, when an employee is trained and hence more valuable to a company. So I think something like that should be the compromise (starting low where the R want it, but ending higher where the D want it when the employee is more valuable due to having experience).

Last edited by dhmac; 02-02-14 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-02-14, 02:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

just start the minimum around 10 and raise it every year by like 1 or 2 % and be done with the issue, why is that so hard?
Old 02-02-14, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,114 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I personally think that it is OK for the minimum wage to start lower (such as where it is now), but then should start gradually stepping up after a few months, when an employee is trained and hence more valuable to a company. So I think something like that should be the compromise (starting low where the R want it, but ending higher where the D want it when the employee is more valuable due to having experience).
Workers getting automatic pay increases by achieving seniority levels in the workplace is NOT something that can be (or should be) addressed by law.

If you think that automatic, structured pay increases for time worked are a good and necessary thing, you should not be looking to government action, you should be encouraging the unionization of the workplace.
Old 02-02-14, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JTH182
Do we really need the same minimum wage for women as men? Single people as married? Blacks as whites? Why discriminate based on age?
It depends on which usage of discrimination you're embracing. I'd "discriminate" (note the difference) between a 16-year-old and a 29-year-old because they're not the same thing. But if you mean unfairly discriminate, I'd question whether it's unfair. It has been completely legal (and moral) to incorporate demographic factors into various facets of our society. We get together as a society, discuss various factors, and decide where we arbitrarily decide to draw lines. So, for instance, an actuarial might decide life insurance should be cheaper for women because they live longer. Or car insurance for a 16-year-old should cost more because they take more risks, have less experience handling cars (and other drivers), and have more accidents. Now, you can argue that everyone should just be in one big pool and that's that. But none of this was decreed by God. It's up for discussion.

As it relates to minimum wage, I have a difficult time considering the scenario we've outlined as "unfair discrimination" because everyone gets the same treatment. There are few people who are 16 who won't make it to the higher ages. If you're black, you don't "become" white. If you're female, you don't "become" male. Also, the whole concept of minimum wage in a capitalist society is a course correction. In a purely capitalist society, there would be no minimum wage and companies would pay whatever the market will bear. But since we're not a purely capitalist society, we allow for some governmental corrections to address desired social outcomes. It's OK if we discuss whether the minimum wage should be different for adults than for minors. Note that I said discuss it. I'm not presupposing any particular outcome of said discussion.

All that said, my main point is I feel Issa made valid points of discussion and I didn't think the rest of the panel really answered his points. The show spends a lot of time vilifying "idiot conservatives" who don't believe in science, etc., but when a conservative shows up presenting reasonable ideas, it is often time for next topic. Or let's talk more Chris Christie.

I don't wake up thinking conservative/liberal. I wake up thinking, "Today is a new day to learn something I didn't know, or think about something I hadn't considered." I really don't care from which point along the political spectrum that knowledge or insight comes from.
Old 02-03-14, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,114 Likes on 807 Posts

In order to discuss Issa's suggestion seriously, the panel would have to debate two points: At what age is the line drawn? And what would be the two different minimum levels?

Bill is not going to let his show be hijacked into a long debate about an idea that one of his guests pulls out of his/her ass.

If Issa thinks this is a serious idea that should be included in the debate about wages and the income gap, then the first time it is brought up for serious discussion won't be on a TV show.

Maybe you haven't watched the show closely enough, but Maher has topics chosen for the show, and the guests come prepared to discuss those topics. Maher insists that they stop discussion of topics to "move on" and he forces them back onto what he thinks they should be discussing when the conversation follows a tangent.

The show is not a Socratic salon where anyone is free to introduce any idea, and see it discussed and debated at exhaustive length.

If you think Issa's idea really is an interesting one, I suggest you start a thread about it in the Politics forum. The ensuing debate will ably demonstrate why it was untenable for Maher to allow this idea to be sprung spontaneously on his show.
Old 02-03-14, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Maybe you haven't watched the show closely enough
I'm sure that's it. Thanks.
Old 02-07-14, 06:13 AM

Received 4,680 Likes on 3,168 Posts

REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER CONTINUES ITS 12TH SEASON FEB. 7, EXCLUSIVELY ON HBO; CHARLIE CRIST IS THE TOP-OF-SHOW INTERVIEW GUEST; P.J. O'ROURKE IS THE MID-SHOW INTERVIEW GUEST; TOM COLICCHIO, S.E. CUPP AND ALICIA MENENDEZ ARE THE ROUNDTABLE GUESTS
Old 02-07-14, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

PJ O'Rourke: Great writer/smart guy/horrible interviewee. He tries to hard to say funny things, and just falls flat all the time - I don't know why he's so popular on the 'guest' circuit...I'd rather just read his articles/books.
Old 02-07-14, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
PJ O'Rourke: Great writer/smart guy/horrible interviewee. He tries to hard to say funny things, and just falls flat all the time - I don't know why he's so popular on the 'guest' circuit...I'd rather just read his articles/books.
I agree that his delivery is very awkward when he goes on Real Time, but he is one of the few guests that has a sense of humor and isn't just a partisan hack like 99% of the panelists. Just compare his responses to the panel tonight, as they will give the typical Washington talking points on EVERY issue Maher brings up.

Even though he is a conservative, he will not tow the party-line if he thinks the republicans are wrong, so that gives him credibility with me that he is atleast being objective and isn't there just to spew the typical partisan propaganda.
Old 02-07-14, 09:05 AM
Banned

Agreed on O'Rourke.

S.E. CUPP AND ALICIA MENENDEZ
Old 02-07-14, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

I agree too.

What's funny about watching him these days is that he's so obviously embarrassed by the Tea Party types, and yet he can't bring himself to say so, towing the party line. Watching him squirm is funny.
Old 02-07-14, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

It depends on which usage of discrimination you're embracing. I'd "discriminate" (note the difference) between a 16-year-old and a 29-year-old because they're not the same thing. But if you mean unfairly discriminate, I'd question whether it's unfair. It has been completely legal (and moral) to incorporate demographic factors into various facets of our society. We get together as a society, discuss various factors, and decide where we arbitrarily decide to draw lines. So, for instance, an actuarial might decide life insurance should be cheaper for women because they live longer. Or car insurance for a 16-year-old should cost more because they take more risks, have less experience handling cars (and other drivers), and have more accidents. Now, you can argue that everyone should just be in one big pool and that's that. But none of this was decreed by God. It's up for discussion.

As it relates to minimum wage, I have a difficult time considering the scenario we've outlined as "unfair discrimination" because everyone gets the same treatment. There are few people who are 16 who won't make it to the higher ages. If you're black, you don't "become" white. If you're female, you don't "become" male. Also, the whole concept of minimum wage in a capitalist society is a course correction. In a purely capitalist society, there would be no minimum wage and companies would pay whatever the market will bear. But since we're not a purely capitalist society, we allow for some governmental corrections to address desired social outcomes. It's OK if we discuss whether the minimum wage should be different for adults than for minors. Note that I said discuss it. I'm not presupposing any particular outcome of said discussion.

All that said, my main point is I feel Issa made valid points of discussion and I didn't think the rest of the panel really answered his points. The show spends a lot of time vilifying "idiot conservatives" who don't believe in science, etc., but when a conservative shows up presenting reasonable ideas, it is often time for next topic. Or let's talk more Chris Christie.

I don't wake up thinking conservative/liberal. I wake up thinking, "Today is a new day to learn something I didn't know, or think about something I hadn't considered." I really don't care from which point along the political spectrum that knowledge or insight comes from.

So you're saying you don't view the work a 16 year old does to be the same as the work a 29 year old does in minimum wage positions (which is what we're talking about here)?

In your scenario business owners would have an army of minimum wage teenage slaves and then find a way to dump them before their age forced them into getting raises. Good luck being a 29 year old who needs a minimum wage job to survive.
Old 02-08-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

From last night:

New Rule

Since the business of Netflix is showing movies, they have to explain why they make it deliberately impossible to find a movie. It's like a have a used car lot, and when people ask where the cars are they say, "Ha Ha! Fuck you we scattered them all over town."

*swish*
Old 03-02-14, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On the most recent episode for Feb 28th, Bill Kristol was particularly awful. He constantly argued with Maher on everything, usually with a lot of Straw Man arguments.

It made this one different from the typical episode.
Old 04-26-14, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 157 Posts

I have to agree with Bill; Annabelle Gurwitch is still fuckable.
Old 04-26-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like Annabelle Gurwitch because she follows me on Twitter.

(Of course, I assume it's intentional due to something funny I tweeted and not because she was hacked.)
Old 07-21-14, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Real Time With Bill Maher, Season 11 (2013)

I've always liked Bill Maher, but I wonder how much longer this show has before it's canceled.

It hasn't been very funny in a few years, except for New Rules at the end.

He is also still having trouble getting halfway decent guests, for obvious reasons. Could be the beginning of the end.
Old 07-21-14, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: Real Time With Bill Maher, Season 11 (2013)

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I've always liked Bill Maher, but I wonder how much longer this show has before it's canceled.
Well, it's already been renewed through 2015, and I can't imagine HBO dumping it before the next Presidential election. I think the bottom line here is that it will be around as long as Maher wants to do it. It's cheap to produce and it gets good ratings.
Old 07-21-14, 11:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't watch it for the humor. It's too long and much of it too serious to be considered a comedy show, not with 40 minutes of it being a conversation.

I don't know who you expect to go on that show...??

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.