Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-11, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: HBO's BILL MAHER new season

That's my recollection too. Guess something came up.
Old 07-24-11, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

When John Fetterman asked Nick Gillespie if he wanted to "take it outside." (Gillespie did have it have coming after that dick comment, though. And the hipster wear -- what is he, fifty?)
Old 07-24-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
When John Fetterman asked Nick Gillespie if he wanted to "take it outside." (Gillespie did have it have coming after that dick comment, though. And the hipster wear -- what is he, fifty?)
Gillespie spoke a valid commet to Fetterman. Fetterman has been the mayor for over 6 years and the town is still extremely poor. Fetterman may be one of those who is better at PR than actually running a government. If he wasn't the size of a cow covered in tattoos he probably would not receive the time of day in the press. That being said I do not think he is a money grubbing attention whore, he may just be in over his head.
Old 07-25-11, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to see more of Nick Gillespie. Fetterman looked like he should be on Oz.
Old 07-25-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikahC
I'd like to see more of Nick Gillespie. Fetterman looked like he should be on Oz.
Now I really wish Affleck was on last week. I think he and Gillespie would have had some good back and forth going. Affleck is definitely one of my favorite guests. I hope he can get on the show this season.
Old 07-30-11, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Is it wrong that I want Margaret Hoover on top of me, grinding away and punching me in the face as she's spouting off her conservative bullshit?
Old 07-30-11, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that chick wouldn't shut the fuck up and kept butting in and interrupting everyone.

I was hoping Spitzer would offer her a twenty to blow him and we wouldn't have to listen to her yapping for five minutes.
Old 08-01-11, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's up with Bill admitting repeatedly that he used to do meth? What exactly does he feel is "off-limits" for public consumption? Is there any topic from his past that qualifies?
Old 08-01-11, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
What's up with Bill admitting repeatedly that he used to do meth? What exactly does he feel is "off-limits" for public consumption? Is there any topic from his past that qualifies?
Apparently not. Why would you have your shorts in a twist over it? It's his life.
Old 08-01-11, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Is it wrong that I want Margaret Hoover on top of me, grinding away and punching me in the face as she's spouting off her conservative bullshit?
It amazes me how much conservatives will bend and stretch the truth, and even ignore contradicting facts, to spin that bullshit.
Old 08-01-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Apparently not. Why would you have your shorts in a twist over it? It's his life.
I'm just saying that there are many who would not so willingly divulge that type of information about themselves to a national audience without batting an eye. Guess the guy doesn't give a rip what anyone thinks about him.
Old 08-01-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

He probably feels that there are so many phonies and hypocrites in the field he discusses, and he doesn't want to be one of them. He owns his past and present lifestyle with no apologies... it's not like he's going to be running for office anyway.
Old 08-02-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What irritates me is he's the same person after admitting it as he was before admitting it. There's something about the way we choose people for office that's just been irritating me lately. Do you believe in God? Are you married? Do you have children? I realize people can vote based on whatever we want, and I realize we like to elect officials that mirror our public thoughts (not our real ones), but the guy who is handling my 401K is probably bonking call girls on a routine basis, and nobody's asking him these questions. We just want to know if he can do the job.

The only reason we should care if Bill ever did Crystal Meth is if the result is he's now too stupid to put on his show. He obviously isn't, so case closed. He also admitted all the down side to using it. I rather enjoyed the conversation. I'm feeling the same way about public officials these days too. Seeing Elliott Spitzer on the show also reminded me about how we accept officials. We won't accept you unless you're married, but if you step out on your marriage, we don't accept you either. Basically, we expect you to be neutered. But only in politics.
Old 08-02-11, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

But only in politics.
Oh how Tiger Woods wishes this were true.
Old 08-03-11, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
It amazes me how much conservatives will bend and stretch the truth, and even ignore contradicting facts, to spin that bullshit.
Oh please like liberals don't do the same??? Both parties spin their bullshit to the American people all the time, that's why Washington is such a mess these days cause both parties act like little children.

Just turn on FOX and MSNBC, they both cater to their political parties and twist little facts to make their argument, thats why those channels are unwatchable these days.

If CNN had any good management and hire better commentators, they could capture independents like me who watch political shows but are tired of partisan people like Hannity and Rachel Maddow. I used to watch Bill Maher religiously (no pun intended since Bill hates Religion!) but now he is just a shill for the democrats and his show is unwatchable.

There is no dialogue on these shows anymore, its just the one side screaming and the other side with their fingers covering their ears, and vice versa.

Last edited by mcnabb; 08-03-11 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-03-11, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your point is valid, but Tiger didn't lose his job as a golfer over his infidelities; He lost endorsements. If, when he got into golfing, he'd slept with half the west coast, nobody would have said he couldn't be a golfer because of it. I'm OK with losing endorsements. But would Albert Einstein be any less Albert Einstein if we found out tomorow he wasn't a perfect guy? Maybe I'm just reaching a certain age, but I find it silly. The people who are the most chaste are not necessarily the people who are the best for any given job.

That said, corporations do drug testing before hire, and such. But mostly, they want to make sure you're not a recent user, not if you've EVER been a user. I mean, they don't want you raiding petty cash for fix money, or exposing company secrets to the dealer down the street you owe money. But there's a very unique way politics handles humanity. Essentially, you have to deny you have any peccadillos in order to get elected. It's the safest way to be acceptable to a large group of people.
Old 08-03-11, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
He was asked. He then answered honestly. I don't see what the big deal is.
Old 08-03-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But would Albert Einstein be any less Albert Einstein if we found out tomorow he wasn't a perfect guy?
Albert Einstein was a notorious pussy hound. And he left his first wife to marry his cousin.

(I she ye not. Mozart and James Joyce were goddamned freaks as well.)

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 08-03-11 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-03-11, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 08-03-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But there's a very unique way politics handles humanity. Essentially, you have to deny you have any peccadillos in order to get elected. It's the safest way to be acceptable to a large group of people.
You do realize our current president is an admitted user of cocaine?
Old 08-03-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
I believe he meant current vices.
Old 08-04-11, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
Yes, marijuana and cocaine, in high school and college, disclosed in his book "Dreams From My Father", which was released before he started his political career.

And Bill Clinton had his issues (drugs and women). And George Bush had his issues (drugs). But they tried to distance themselves from these actions. "... but I didn't inhale." Or, "I did not have sex..." Or, "...youthful indiscretions." Or whatever. When Obama went to be a law professor, it wasn't an issue at all. But when he ran for president, it was at least brought up. Am I missing some reason it should matter in the slightest? The man's 50.

Bill Maher is 55 (yes, 5 years older than the president). He made a statement about a drug he tried as a kid. And given it's a comedy show, I thought it was pretty funny how he described why he didn't get hooked. And showed once again a Bill Maher who has had a lifetime of drug use is still more on the ball than the majority of people who would condemn him for it.
Old 08-04-11, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Let's go steal......................a piano.
Old 08-04-11, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Oh please like liberals don't do the same??? Both parties spin their bullshit to the American people all the time, that's why Washington is such a mess these days cause both parties act like little children.
There is a difference. Liberals will frequently cherry-pick data and exaggerate. Conservatives will also frequently cherry-pick data and exaggerate but then pour on outright lies. Just look at the "Pants On Fire" section of PolitiFact: more Conservative pants-burners are listed there than Liberal ones, and the ones that are outright lies that aren't just cherry-picked data are usually in the Conservative columns too.
Old 08-04-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I used to watch Bill Maher religiously (no pun intended since Bill hates Religion!) but now he is just a shill for the democrats and his show is unwatchable.
I'd hardly call him a shill. Yes, he generally favors Democratic values, but he criticizes them often on his show. He actually supported McCain in 2000.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.