Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
I have soured on Andrew Sullivan ever since he responded to one of my e-mails by calling me a moron (its a running theme with me, huh?)

And it doesn't matter if you think D.L. Hughley is a moron, the guy is a good guest. The panel has been the weakest part of this show. This was one of the few times all three of them were at least interesting. He was just annoyed with the electoral college process. I can sympathize with him considering my state was given to Kerry with less than 1% of the ballots counted and Bush leading! It makes you feel that your vote is worthless. I'd like to see a stop to exit polls and predictions by the media.
Old 11-08-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
The last 4 years have been a non-stop aggressive campaign against this President. They've thrown everything at him, loudly and forcefully, taking every "dirty trick" from the supposed Republican Handbook, and in the end, they lost ground with the voting public.
WHAT A BUNCH OF COMPLETE AND UTTER BULLSHIT !!

The Democrats completely rolled over after the 2000 election.
They should have been calling for an independent investigation into voter fraud in Florida with their every waking breath.
They should have branded GW Bush as illegitimate and done every thing in their power to block everything he tried to do.
But they didn't.

And after 9/11, the Democrats unified behind the President.
Bush had the unqualified support of even his harshest critics in Congress.
Instead of singing "God Bless America", the Democrats should have been pointing the finger of blame at Bush for the 9/11 attacks and callling for his removal from office.
I wonder what the 2004 electorate's opinion of Bush would be if, in 2002, the Democrats had been on TV calling Bush incompetent as much as the Repubilcans used to go on TV and call Bill Clinton a liar.

And speaking of Clinton, that's one thing from the Republican playbook that the Dems didn't pull out.
There wasn't an impeachment of GW Bush based on trumped up charges from a $40 million witchhunt, although he certainly deserves to be impeached for taking us to war under false pretenses.
Old 11-08-04, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Count Dooku

They should have been calling for an independent investigation into voter fraud in Florida with their every waking breath.
They should have branded GW Bush as illegitimate and done every thing in their power to block everything he tried to do.
But they didn't.

And after 9/11, the Democrats unified behind the President.
Bush had the unqualified support of even his harshest critics in Congress.
Instead of singing "God Bless America", the Democrats should have been pointing the finger of blame at Bush for the 9/11 attacks and callling for his removal from office.
I wonder what the 2004 electorate's opinion of Bush would be if, in 2002, the Democrats had been on TV calling Bush incompetent as much as the Repubilcans used to go on TV and call Bill Clinton a liar.

And speaking of Clinton, that's one thing from the Republican playbook that the Dems didn't pull out.
There wasn't an impeachment of GW Bush based on trumped up charges from a $40 million witchhunt, although he certainly deserves to be impeached for taking us to war under false pretenses.
Well, whatever you think is completly different than what you responded to by calling bullshit. The average, non-partisin American voter (which is most voters) obviously saw it the other way.
Old 11-08-04, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Count Dooku

But they didn't.
lol, it is Al Gore who almost stole the election of 2000, not Bush.
Old 11-08-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How do I even respond to that? Oh wait, I know.

das
Old 11-09-04, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dolphinboy
I actually feel sorry for you, by what seems to consume you and what you see from under your tiny rock, and by what you interpret liberalism as.

On the other hand, congratulations on controlling the government!
And true to form, the right is whining like a bunch of punks.

Most of the complaints about why the Democrats lost seemed to be that red-staters got angry at being called racist, homophobic rubes that fear progress.
To which my response is: grow a spine and quit complaining about being pigeon-holed as racist, homophobic rubes that fear progress.
Because a recent history of insisting the earth is 6000 years old, that Creationism should be taught in schools as literal truth, that blacks shouldn't be allowed to vote and would be better off hanging from trees by barbed wire nooses, that Toby Keith is worth listening to, kind of bears the assessment that red-staters are rubes out.
And now, you're running the country and want to display your "moral values" by killing another 100,000 brown people in some other country with hundreds of tons of depleted uranium and sexually humiliating the survivors in an unprovoked war. Funny, I must have missed the part of the Bible that gives that the thumbs up.

DL Hughly was right. The Democrats were too reasonable. They were too nice. If they'd actually gone on the offensive and outright condemned the Bush junta, demanded accountability for the criminals running the country, they might have won. 2008 has to nasty. Unrestrained outrage and calls for blood. If you think liberals were mean and unfair today, seek counseling now. Your fragile psyches won't survive.
Old 11-10-04, 12:21 AM
Banned

Well, what it really comes down to is this:
One can believe in what the Bible says or One can believe in what Hollywood liberals say.
They both can't be right.
But in the Bible at the end in the Book of Revelation which is the end of the Bible the devil isn't forgiven and everybody doesn't go to Heaven.
Hollywood liberals seem to care so much for the enviorment but don't seem to care for the immoral crap they put out that affects young kids.
Old 11-10-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by wm lopez
One can believe in what the Bible says or One can believe in what Hollywood liberals say.
That's it? Those are the only two options? Oh man, are we screwed!
Old 11-10-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

verbal gorilla wrote
Well, whatever you think is completly different than what you responded to by calling bullshit.
das wrote that the Democrats had been attacking Bush for the last four years with everything they had, and every "dirty trick".

I, Count Dooku, responded that that was BULLSHIT, and pointed out three examples of how the Democrats had not attacked Bush, including one very big example (the aftermath of 9/11) in which the Democrats completely supported Bush.

I don't know how logical arguments are constructed in gorilla-speak, but in English, what I posted was a direct response to das with pointed examples to illustrate and support my argument.

v.g. also wrote
The average, non-partisin American voter (which is most voters) obviously saw it the other way.
That's a nice statement, but the truth of it cannot be proven.
Are most voters non-partisan?
If so, support that claim.

I have no idea why every single person who voted for Bush or Kerry made that choice, and neither do you.

To claim that the majority of Americans support all, or even one, of George W Bush's policies because Bush received the majority of the popular vote is completely illogical, and certainly nothing that could ever be proven unless you were able to reach into the hearts and minds of every voter.

20 million of the people who voted for Bush may have done so because they are social conservatives and they care about one thing --the over-turning of Roe/Wade, and they voted for Bush because they want to see anti-choice judges appointed to the Supreme Court.
Those 20 million people may also believe that Iraq was a huge mistake and that the tax cuts are terrible.

20 million others may have voted for Bush solely because they approve of the way he is conducting the war on terror, and they decided to vote for him despite the fact that they completely disagree with his conservative social agenda.

15 million people may have voted for Bush because they are rich, and his tax cuts are making them richer. War in Iraq? Gay marriage? Abortion? Their sons are straight and in college.

4 million voters may have chosen W because they hate ketchup.

I don't have a response to the rolling smiley face.

Last edited by Count Dooku; 11-10-04 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-10-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

rivero
Even if it is true that it was Al Gore who almost stole the election, as you posted, that response does not contradict what I posted and what you quoted.

But they didn't.
Old 11-10-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But in the Bible at the end in the Book of Revelation which is the end of the Bible the devil isn't forgiven and everybody doesn't go to Heaven.
Hollywood liberals seem to care so much for the enviorment but don't seem to care for the immoral crap they put out that affects young kids.
Funny thing, as dumb or as smart as "Hollywood liberals" are, when they say something it's usually caught on film or written down and documented or taped in an interview so you actually know whether they even said it or not. The same cannot be said for the bible.
Old 11-12-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Is this going to be re-aired anytime soon? I went home to visit the folks and missed it (no HBO there).
Old 11-12-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DJLinus
Is this going to be re-aired anytime soon? I went home to visit the folks and missed it (no HBO there).
It was shown here almost every night. Tonight is either a re-run or a movie. I can't remember what they do between seasons.
Old 11-13-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
And the polarizing idiocy just keeps rolling on...
Old 11-14-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by strife
It was shown here almost every night. Tonight is either a re-run or a movie. I can't remember what they do between seasons.
It wasn't shown on any of the HBOs on Friday. Oh, well, hopefully it's not lost forever. Reading this thread, the episode sounded interesting.
Old 11-15-04, 04:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If you have ONDEMAND it is on there
Old 02-18-05, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Real Time With Bill Maher 2/18

Just a reminder that REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER returns to HBO tonight.

Scheduled guests: Robin Williams, Don Cheadle, Sen. Joe Biden, and former Health & Human services director Tommy Thompson.
Old 02-18-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Who's the panel and who's just a quick interview? Im going to assume its Cheadle, Williams, and Thompson on the panel, with Biden getting his monthly blowjob from Maher in a 5 minute interview before the show.
Old 02-18-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the reminder! Good ta have him back.
Old 02-18-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Williams, Thompson and Biden in the Round Table.

Cheadle and (just added) Lesley Stahl in interview segments.
Old 02-18-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hopefully we don't have to suffer through mAnn Coulter this year... but I'm sure she'll be on.

Nice to see this show back on the air though.
Old 02-18-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Williams, Thompson and Biden in the Round Table.

Cheadle and (just added) Lesley Stahl in interview segments.
What the hell is he interviewing Cheadle for?

OHHHH..Answer - Hotel Rwanda
Old 02-18-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally Posted by Applejack
Hopefully we don't have to suffer through mAnn Coulter this year... but I'm sure she'll be on.
Raving lunatics are good comedy, though.
Old 02-18-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
What the hell is he interviewing Cheadle for?

OHHHH..Answer - Hotel Rwanda

I guess you don't really want your time wasted hearing about the Sudan. If only they (didn't really) have WMDs too.
Old 02-18-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I guess you don't really want your time wasted hearing about the Sudan. If only they (didn't really) have WMDs too.
Re-read my post and wish you could recind your silly comment

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.