Reload this Page >

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Old 02-18-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I guess you don't really want your time wasted hearing about the Sudan. If only they (didn't really) have WMDs too.
Bill Maher was on Larry King the other night and he cracked me up. He was talking about Hotel Rwanda and how people are like "How did we let that happen?" and he was like "Hello? It's happening NOW." Then he said, "Do we have to wait for the movie HOTEL SUDAN?"

I love Bill.
Old 02-18-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Re-read my post and wish you could recind your silly comment
Nope.
Old 02-18-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I guess you don't really want your time wasted hearing about the Sudan. If only they (didn't really) have WMDs too.
BTW..Rwanda is in Rwanda.
Old 02-18-05, 11:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Re-read my post and wish you could recind your silly comment
That begs the question, what was the point of your silly rhetorical question in the first place?

OHHHH..Answer - No reason whatsoever
Old 02-21-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Memo to Robin Williams. Shut up. About 98% of the stuff he says ain't funny.
Old 02-21-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by djbrown
Memo to Robin Williams. Shut up. About 98% of the stuff he says ain't funny.
I kept hoping Bill Maher would produce a rolled-up newspaper from under the desk and whack him with it. He barely let any other guest talk.
Old 02-21-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I kept hoping Bill Maher would produce a rolled-up newspaper from under the desk and whack him with it. He barely let any other guest talk.
That's par for the course with Robin. He's was like that back with Johnny Carson when he appeared on The Tonight Show...not likely to change now. Robin's one of those guys that just throws everything up against the wall...some of it sticks, and some of it doesn't.
Old 02-21-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by greydt
That begs the question, what was the point of your silly rhetorical question in the first place?

OHHHH..Answer - No reason whatsoever
Its called an EDIT

See the button?
Old 02-22-05, 02:27 AM

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,114 Posts
Robin Williams please shut your fucking mouth.

You could see Bill getting pissed during "New Rules." That's his baby. No one talks during "New Rules" but Bill. That's the rule - it's painfully obvious the guests are told to shut their mouths for that part, but Robin Williams won't shut his fucking mouth to save a baby from cancer.
Old 02-22-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love Robin Williams as a serious actor, but will he ever shut the fuck up when he's a guest on a show? He has to totally dominate the conversation or should I say attention of every show he does. I've seen him do this at the oscars as a presenter too. I'm suprised no one has punched him. Even when Robin was talking seriously on the show, I couldn't tell because the rest of the time he has to be a clown. Shut up!!!
Old 02-22-05, 09:19 PM

Agree with all the Robin Williams hate here.

I got tired of listening to him quickly. Completely ruined the show for me.

Hopefully that is the last we see of him on Real Time.
Old 08-19-05, 09:34 AM

Real Time with Bill Maher 8/19

Real Time with Bill Maher returns from hiatus - Friday, August 19 at 11 pm - with roundtable guests Chris Rock, Asa Hutchinson and Kellyanne Conway. Plus, via satellite, Phyllis Schlafly.

Glad to have this show back.
Old 08-19-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yay. I miss him when he is not on the air. I loved his stand-up special on HBO a few weeks back (see my sig).
Old 08-19-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I will be happy to have him back as well. I do not agree with him on a lot of things but I like that he has his own opinion on things.
Old 08-19-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

[Burns]Excellent![/Burns]
Old 08-19-05, 11:11 PM

All due respect to Chris Rock, who is a funny guy, but if they ever let him within 20 miles of this show again I'm shooting somebody.
Old 08-20-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, he was even more annoying than Maher.
Old 08-20-05, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by occupant
All due respect to Chris Rock, who is a funny guy, but if they ever let him within 20 miles of this show again I'm shooting somebody.
I know they always have to have some "famous" person on there, but at least make sure they'll make some contribution to the show.

I love it when you have "serious" guests trying to make a point, and they are interrupted by stupid jokes.
Old 08-20-05, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Joe1086
I know they always have to have some "famous" person on there, but at least make sure they'll make some contribution to the show.

I love it when you have "serious" guests trying to make a point, and they are interrupted by stupid jokes.
Chris Rock was awful, but I'm glad that you put serious in quotations, because the other two weren't making stupid jokes every 2 minutes, they were just lying, spinning, and doing what they do on other shows. The only difference is that aren't quite as a cocky, because the crowd is so liberal and only Ann Coulter really loves to be hated.

I can't believe people think Maher is annoying on this show. How can you not be annoying bringing up these kinds of issues from his pov? It's tiresome hearing that stuff even when you agree with most of it. But there still is no "liberal" host who goes after conservative guests the way Hannity would. Maher does it once in a while, but even when he's not getting an answer to a specific question, he doesn't ram it down the guests throats.

It was funny how Kellyann compared the freedom of women in this country to Iraq's because we haven't elected a female president yet. That was worth a slap in the face and Maher's come back was pretty weak. Conversely, if Hannity got a liberal guest to say something that dumb or just lied about what a liberal said, it would be a complete and total smackdown.
Old 08-20-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Excellent show despite Chris Rock. to Mahers New Rule on "Intelligent Design."
Old 08-20-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was funny how Kellyann compared the freedom of women in this country to Iraq's because we haven't elected a female president yet. That was worth a slap in the face and Maher's come back was pretty weak. Conversely, if Hannity got a liberal guest to say something that dumb or just lied about what a liberal said, it would be a complete and total smackdown.
That jumped out at me also. The fact that we are debating the lack of a female president is kind of, y'know, proof that we're more advanced on women's rights than Iraq.
Old 08-20-05, 05:21 PM

Real Time with Bill Maher

Anyone watch this show? i love it, always love hearing people fighting over something. Last nights show had Chris Rock. And he didnt join in at all. only to make jokes about gas once and a while. Why did they have him on? he didnt say anything.
Old 08-20-05, 05:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used to enjoy watching Bill Maher until he flipped his wig a few years ago and became the very thing that he used to make fun of...a left-wing kook. It wasn't so long ago that Maher expressed conservative viewpoints on a regular basis, often challenging the bleeding heart liberal 'Hollywood' types that would guest on his show, now he's become one of them...just another unreasonable showbiz kook.
Old 08-20-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I always like watching the celebs that Bill Maher has on, because you get a good impression of how creative they REALLY are. Chris looked like a deer in the headlights last night, but the overall winner of "I can't believe that's what he's really like" on Real Time With Bill Maher is Kevin Coster - the man came off like an uneducated idiot on one of the shows last year, which was a surprise to see...

Skull...I'm wondering what Maher has said that you find "kooky"? I don't agree with everything he says, but he usually has a logical reason for backing the things he backs, and unlike so many other political commentators, Maher does his research - he's very well read.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 08-20-05 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-20-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I always like watching the celebs that Bill Maher has on, because you get a good impression of how creative they REALLY are. Chris looked like a deer in the headlights last night, but the overall winner of "I can't believe that's what he's really like" on Real Time With Bill Maher is Kevin Coster - the man came off like an uneducated idiot on one of the shows last year, which was a surprise to see...

Skull...I'm wondering what Maher has said that you find "kooky"? I don't agree with everything he says, but he usually has a logical reason for backing the things he backs, and unlike so many other political commentators, Maher does his research - he's very well read.
Actually, I talked a lot with my wife about what the hell Chris Rock did last night because it was so truly stupid.

I don't think it was deer the headlights at all.

To me, the guy reinforced some of the conservative stereo-types of the Hollywood Elite. While with Robin Williams, you give the guy a pass for making joke after joke because he's just that kind of hyper-ass guy all the time.

But Chris Rock seemed smug, elitist and arrogant. We watched it again and it was like Chris decided that he was going to mock the idiotic ramblings of people like KellyAnn with a "wink" to the audience who would "surely get it."

Rather than put forward some kind of real response, Chris sort of seemed to think that it was so painfully obvious what the real answer was and it was so clear that, in particular, KellyAnn's ideas were the wrong ones, he decided to just crack jokes.

I think Chris Rock could have made some educated points, I mean it's not his job to know as much about policies and things like that as Asa, KellyAnn or even Bill, but I think he's actually a reasonably smart man. I think his method of dealing with "the other side" was pretty pathetic and unwise though. A few times, Rock did say some specific things which led me to believe he knew more, but instead of continuing to do that and mix in some one-liners, he almost defiantly stuck with the gasoline jokes because, it seemed like he wanted to annoy KellyAnn. It was very childish.

Another one of KellyAnn's amazing moments is when she spoke of us not being able to trust the papers or tv. She didn't say liberal or conservative, she lumped it all in together to, in her mind, defend the fact that really good things were happening in Iraq and we just don't know it because no one, not even Fox, wants us to know about it.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 08-20-05 at 08:03 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.