DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Oh, Bill.

Old 02-22-17, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I still don't get the big deal with Milo Yiannopoulos from both sides of the political spectrum? I am a Conservative and I never heard of the guy before he went on Maher's show. Granted, I don't read Breitbart, but I was suprised by the uproar from both sides.

The right was treating like he was William F Buckley and the left was treating him like Hitler. I saw the interview and it really wasn't about politics, but more about our PC Society and not much substance. And the fact that Bill and Milo kept talking about how Gay he was.
Old 02-22-17, 01:19 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

George Takei is also getting called out for similar comments:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 02-22-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 946 Likes on 720 Posts

For fuck's sake people, if you're going to talk about sex, gay or straight, make sure it's with CONSENTING ADULTS. How hard is that?
Old 02-22-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

#OhMy
Old 02-22-17, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

The YouTube comments about Milo resigning from Breitbart are crazy. Something a long the lines of "Liberals are attacking Milo for being a child abuse victim?? The Left has no shame."

Just like Trump, no matter what this guy says or does, his fans will perform mental gymnastics to defend him.

Originally Posted by dex14
Decent interview...
I didn't think so. He's just making excuses. He didn't really challenge Milo, instead complimenting him at times. He has guests like these on because they're popular, and hopefully, controversial. It's not because they provide a good discussion/POV from the other side of the political spectrum.

There's a clip from the 1980s that featured Christopher Hitchens interviewing a White supremacist. Hitchens wasn't attacking him but using rational arguments to point out the hypocrisy and idiocy of the guys beliefs. Had Maher approached the interview along those lines I'd be more willing to believe his lis "sunlight is the best disinfectant" comment.

Oh yeah,

Originally Posted by Bill Maher
What I think people saw was an emotionally needy Ann Coulter wannabe, trying to make a buck off of the left’s propensity for outrage. And by the end of the weekend, by dinnertime Monday, he’s dropped as a speaker at CPAC. Then he’s dropped by Breitbart, and his book deal falls through. As I say, sunlight is the best disinfectant. You’re welcome.
Yiannopoulos wasn't dropped from CPAC, nor did he resign from Breitbart because of what he said on Maher's show. It was because of what Yiannopoulos was advocating for on a YouTube podcast.

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I still don't get the big deal with Milo Yiannopoulos from both sides of the political spectrum? I am a Conservative and I never heard of the guy before he went on Maher's show. Granted, I don't read Breitbart, but I was suprised by the uproar from both sides.

The right was treating like he was William F Buckley and the left was treating him like Hitler. I saw the interview and it really wasn't about politics, but more about our PC Society and not much substance. And the fact that Bill and Milo kept talking about how Gay he was.
I've only read a couple of his articles at Breitbart and they seemed witty but mostly biased and came across like hit jobs rather than critical think pieces.
It's mostly his speaking engagements at colleges where I've seen him at his most offensive and intellectually dishonest.

The reason why he was popular with conservatives is because he was like punk rock compared to the "nerdy"-types of Ben Shapiro and Dinesh D'Souza.

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
George Takei is also getting called out for similar comments:
I'm also surprised about how flippant everyone on the Howard Stern show is about the subject. I know that the show is meant to be crude and vulgar but damn.

Last edited by brayzie; 02-22-17 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maher had nothing to do with Milo's demise; Milo owned him.
Old 02-22-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Milo is (was?) mostly "internet famous." I think I first heard of him during the gamergate kerfluffle a few years back. Most folks who don't follow politics and culture online have probably never heard of him.
Old 02-22-17, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 02-23-17, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Old 02-23-17, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Decent interview...

Bill Maher, Faulted for Booking Milo Yiannopoulos, Takes Credit for His Fall
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/a...smtyp=cur&_r=0
It's true. As others have been saying, Bill gave Milo the rope, and Willmore kicked the chair.

What's so hard to understand about that? That's exactly what happened. It's called fucking HUBRIS. Milo thought he was untouchable, talked shit, they dug it up, and he's done.

That's not to say that he won't publish his lame book via alternative presses, but he's done as far as the mainstream goes. That's what he thrived on. We'll see if he digs his way out of this.
Old 02-23-17, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's true. As others have been saying, Bill gave Milo the rope, and Willmore kicked the chair.

What's so hard to understand about that? That's exactly what happened. It's called fucking HUBRIS. Milo thought he was untouchable, talked shit, they dug it up, and he's done.

That's not to say that he won't publish his lame book via alternative presses, but he's done as far as the mainstream goes. That's what he thrived on. We'll see if he digs his way out of this.
Maher had nothing to do with anything. Nothing that happened on his show caused anything. It was all going to happen regardless. It was a coordinated attack by Evan McMullen and Reagan Battallion to stop him from speaking at CPAC. He weaponized the liberal crybabies for his own purposes and you guys fell in line.
Old 02-23-17, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 946 Likes on 720 Posts

Yeah. Bill might not have actively done anything on the show that resulted in Yiannopoulos' downfall, but just the publicity of the booking and the way he acted on the show got peoples' attention. When the Berkeley thing happened, no one paid attention to HIM, they paid attention to the protesters. Like Maher said, he wanted to shine a light on Yiannopoulos and this is what happened.
Old 02-23-17, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff
Yeah. Bill might not have actively done anything on the show that resulted in Yiannopoulos' downfall, but just the publicity of the booking and the way he acted on the show got peoples' attention. When the Berkeley thing happened, no one paid attention to HIM, they paid attention to the protesters. Like Maher said, he wanted to shine a light on Yiannopoulos and this is what happened.

Correct. It was a popular outlet and it pumped up his exposure even more and bam, he got fucked. Pun intended.
Old 02-23-17, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Maher had nothing to do with anything. Nothing that happened on his show caused anything. It was all going to happen regardless. It was a coordinated attack by Evan McMullen and Reagan Battallion to stop him from speaking at CPAC. He weaponized the liberal crybabies for his own purposes and you guys fell in line.

Uh, ok.

Old 02-23-17, 07:12 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

It's amazing to me that some clown needs to step down from a bullshit website. But someone running for president in a similiar situation actually became president. Why do all these people who do "bad" things have to step down from positions, but nothing happened to Trump? Why did Billy Bush lose his job? It's very mind boggling.
Old 02-23-17, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

It's amazing to me that some clown needs to step down from a bullshit website. But someone running for president in a similiar situation actually became president. Why do all these people who do "bad" things have to step down from positions, but nothing happened to Trump? Why did Billy Bush lose his job? It's very mind boggling.
Because it's all about power and partisan people are not objective. Where were the feminists calling for Clinton's resignation in 1998 when he had an affair with a 21 year old intern? Where were the Christian Right when Trump said, "Grab that pussy!" It's a double standard on both parties.
Old 02-23-17, 11:03 AM

You are absolutely right. If I look at a leaf, just as it falls off the tree, I didn't make it fall. Maher did nothing to bring about Milo's downfall. In fact just the opposite.
Old 02-23-17, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Milo is small fry compared to trump, who was running for POTUS. Milo's pedestal wasn't high enough to escape unscathed, nor does he have the resources like "daddy" does.
Old 02-23-17, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

They don't have to step down. They could let their employer choose for them, which is what Trump did.
Old 02-23-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Because it's all about power and partisan people are not objective. Where were the feminists calling for Clinton's resignation in 1998 when he had an affair with a 21 year old intern?
What would feminists object to? He didn't use his position to manipulate her. She was a groupie with a crush who got to suck off the prez.
Old 02-23-17, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Nothing from the exchange between Milo and Wilmore caused the public to change their minds about Milo. It wasn't his opinion on transgenders or Muslims that forced him to resign, nor did it cause his publisher to cancel his book deal.

Maher was even agreeing with Milo at times and complimenting him. That helps legitimize Milo and raise his profile.

If it hadn't been for Milo's comments on a podcast prior, advocating for NAMBLA-type relationships, none of this would have happened. Did Anne Coulter get "exposed" by Bill Maher and have her career ruined? Tomi Lahren?

It was a coordinated attack by Evan McMullen and Reagan Battallion to stop him from speaking at CPAC. He weaponized the liberal crybabies for his own purposes and you guys fell in line.
If you google it, theres info that points that the Reagan Battalion has some kind of connection to progressive/Democratic activists.

Don't get the "you guys fell in line." I think he got to a point in his career when the protests and criticisms were well justified. I'm only surprised that Christians and conservatives didn't join in with the criticism.

Originally Posted by Paff
Yeah. Bill might not have actively done anything on the show that resulted in Yiannopoulos' downfall, but just the publicity of the booking and the way he acted on the show got peoples' attention.
Again, what if Milo didn't get make those comment on that podcast? Maher might've had him back on within a year.

Like Maher said, he wanted to shine a light on Yiannopoulos and this is what happened.
This is an example of shining a light:

Compare that with Bill Maher's interview.

Last edited by brayzie; 02-23-17 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 08:12 AM

An excellent analysis brayzie and 100% correct. It should be obvious that Maher had nothing to do with Milo's downfall, but not everyone gets the obvious.
Old 02-25-17, 06:25 PM

Did I just see Darrell Issa not answer Bill's first question an Bill pretty much caved on the rest of the interview? Then he let Asra, who shocked the audience because she voted by Trump, not answer why? She was unbearable and he never pressed her. He really is off and (I hate to say it) perhaps too high.

Last edited by Astrofan; 02-25-17 at 06:45 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.