Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville 2-4-03 "Rush"

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any of these superman origins also have Lex as childhood friend instead of like Superman movie? Clark goes around without glass in this version, he have totally mutate as superman to even begin giving audience very minium benefit of doubt.
Old 02-06-03, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
In the comics when John Bryne wrote the new origin of Superman in the 80s Clark was a big football star in Smallville and only wore the glasses when he moved to metropolis.
Old 02-06-03, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Could someone translate the above post?
Old 02-06-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rogue588
You talking bout the most recent Superboy series? Or PRE-Crisis DCU?
I am talking about the old ones from back in the day not the crappy clone of Superman during the whole crappy Death of Superman storyline. I am talking about the ones from the 60s to 70s I think I might have to check my collection for the one I am talking about.
Old 02-06-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Patman
Could someone translate the above post?
In the 1980s DC began to think that their continuity was really messed. They hired John Bryne to write a new story of origin on Superman and this one had Clark Kent as an All-City football player and he only wore the glasses when he moved to Metropolis. Esentially Bryne retold the superman story to make it more modern.
Old 02-06-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dude, I've been reading Superman comics since the mid-70s, I'm aware of the pre-crisis Superman/Superboy mythos, and the revamp in 1986 by Byrne.

The post in question was just poorly worded, thus my request for clarification.
Old 02-06-03, 08:28 AM

Not to belabor the comic book discussion but:

In pre-crisis continuity Clark told Lana his secret & Pete found out but never told Clark. Back then Clark was Superboy, he'd put on the costume and fly around town being a superhero. In this time period, Lex Luthor was a friend of Superboy's (not Clark's) until a fire broke out in his laboratory and Superboy blew the fire out with his super-breath, causing fumes from Lex's chemicals to waft over Luthor and cause his hair to fall out. Luthor felt that Superboy did it intentionally because he was jealous and forever held a grudge. (I hear the laughter already, but give them a break it was the 50's!).
Old 02-06-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep, that was the origin of Lex's hatred for Superboy/Superman pre-crisis.
Old 02-06-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Rogue588
You talking bout the most recent Superboy series? Or PRE-Crisis DCU?
Originally posted by Patman
The post in question was just poorly worded, thus my request for clarification.
I don't know, it seems pretty straight forward to me...
Old 02-06-03, 03:27 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pardon the ignorant question, but in the comics, does Lex really have a younger brother? (Lucas) Just curious.

-BT
Old 02-06-03, 03:52 PM
Banned

Is there a spot for the Octaginal Disc in the caves??
I thought they showed one in the episode with the native american girl and it was Lex who saw it.

I tried asking this in last weeks thread but no1 answered.
Old 02-06-03, 04:02 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, there is a spot for the disc on one of the walls in the cave. Iirc, they haven't shown it since that first episode with the native american girl.

-BT
Old 02-06-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, what about the physics in this episode. Pete and Chloe go over a cliff and Clark winds up at the bottom to catch the car in what COULD be a good scene, but it totally blows when the car is all vertical and Clark stands there holding it up by the front bumper. Now, why didn't Pete and Chloe go smashing thru the windshield when they hit Clark? If you hit the ground from that height, or if you hit Clark, guess what? The car still stops either way and the objects (people in this instance) will go crashing thru the windshield. Or I guess that when Pete and Chloe went out on their feats of death defying stupidity, they put on seat belts.
Old 02-06-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BT
Pardon the ignorant question, but in the comics, does Lex really have a younger brother? (Lucas) Just curious.

-BT
Not that I know of but, I love the name Lucas just has a wonderful ring too it. Maybe because it's my first name. I think they are starting to use the name Luke and Lucas too much on tv. It used to be a seldom used name but oh well. I don't really give a crap about physics they pulled the same stuff in some of the Superman movies and they do the same thing in the comics. Its tv its not real deal with it.
Old 02-07-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
can you fly?
I'm not a cartoon character
Old 02-07-03, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Let me rephrase that I don't like to hear people complaining about physics and how real something is on tv. Tv is entertainment and supposed to entertain. It is made up. Just sit back and watch. It is a show about a boy who is bulletproof can leap tall buildings in a single bound(almost) and can lifts many many many times his body weight. Would that not defy many laws? I think so. It is a show enjoy it if you don't like how they present it don't watch it.
Old 02-07-03, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to agree that this was just a retread of the much better "Red".

But, it is pushing the cave backstory forward and it looks like that's going to be an extremely important place for Clark to find out about his past. Begs the question about if/when Kryptonians were on Earth at some point.
Old 02-07-03, 09:09 AM

Yes it does somewhat advace the cave subplot, or at least set up the advance of the cave subplot but what it does is back up the basic characterization of the leads.

We were already at the point where Clark & Lana get close, Clark ruins it via Red K, Relationship takes 10 steps back, Clark has to repair relationship. This has happened enough on this series already.

The onther problem I have is that I'm not sure I like where the cave backstory is going!
Old 02-07-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lwhy?
Let me rephrase that I don't like to hear people complaining about physics and how real something is on tv. Tv is entertainment and supposed to entertain. It is made up. Just sit back and watch. It is a show about a boy who is bulletproof can leap tall buildings in a single bound(almost) and can lifts many many many times his body weight. Would that not defy many laws? I think so. It is a show enjoy it if you don't like how they present it don't watch it.
How's the view from the horse up there?

You know, I am going to go ahead and take this post personally since it follows my post questioning the physics of Clark catching the car. I suspend quite a bit of my belief in reality and accept quite implausible things in many, many TV shows and movies. Just because I have a nit pick every now and then doesn't mean I should or will stop watching, so don't tell me what to watch or what not to watch if you don't like a nit pick. If you don't like nit picks, then don't read message boards. The bottom line in that sequence, I can buy the idea that Clark is all that, but Chloe and Pete are NOT. Hell, I would have even bought it if they just fell and hit the dash board, they didn't have to fall out of the car and die. They just sat there pointing at Clark and didn't even get jarred at all by the impact of hitting Clark. What is wrong with asking about that? If you don't like my question, then move on to the next thread. If you have something constructive to add, then please reply.
Old 02-08-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by calhoun07
How's the view from the horse up there?

You know, I am going to go ahead and take this post personally since it follows my post questioning the physics of Clark catching the car. I suspend quite a bit of my belief in reality and accept quite implausible things in many, many TV shows and movies. Just because I have a nit pick every now and then doesn't mean I should or will stop watching, so don't tell me what to watch or what not to watch if you don't like a nit pick. If you don't like nit picks, then don't read message boards. The bottom line in that sequence, I can buy the idea that Clark is all that, but Chloe and Pete are NOT. Hell, I would have even bought it if they just fell and hit the dash board, they didn't have to fall out of the car and die. They just sat there pointing at Clark and didn't even get jarred at all by the impact of hitting Clark. What is wrong with asking about that? If you don't like my question, then move on to the next thread. If you have something constructive to add, then please reply.
You nit pick alot many many times. You sometimes leave rude replys too. You need an attitude adjustment. Maybe you're having a bad year. Don't take it out on other people. You like to pick on newbies too. Bye the way, The view is very very nice up on my high horse.
Old 02-08-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One more thing one of the smallville threads went into a page or two discussing physics. Let's just talk about the characters and the presentation of the show. Science is suspend on most scifi shows.
Old 02-08-03, 06:19 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i'm surprised no one mentioned this!

what about Chloe's line in the cave

your the Cunning Linguist !

i couldn't believe my ears, what a line for a family tv show !
Old 02-08-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Considering all of the grisly forms of death on this show, I would not consider it family viewing.
Old 02-08-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
And the lollypop sure had some other implications......and yes, Bad Chloe rocks!
Old 02-08-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by lwhy?
One more thing one of the smallville threads went into a page or two discussing physics. Let's just talk about the characters and the presentation of the show. Science is suspend on most scifi shows.
A) That's a silly thing to say... science, for the most part, isn't affected at all on the shows. We still expect gravity to work, for example. If Chloe started flying, absent some explanation for it, you're saying you wouldn't have a problem? When the shows do bend the laws of physics (or break them), they should be able to explain why. (Here, I think there was an explanation... Clark didn't catch them stiff armed... he had some give in his catch. Think about catching an egg... if you just stick your hand in the air and don't move it, the egg will splatter. If you catch it with some give, it should be okay. The real question, to me, was "Why wasn't Clark driven into the ground like a nail when the force from the car transferred to him?").

B) Who are you to try and direct the flow of the conversation? The physics involved in any given episode are entirelly appropriate to discuss in the thread for that particular episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.