Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise - 10/2/02

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Bandoman
Good point, Lou Pole, but transporters are in their infancy in this show, and probably quite a bit slower than later models. The mine could have triggered as soon as its sensors registered that it was literally being taken apart molecule by molecule. Archer & crew probably wouldn't try this simply because they didn't know enough about transporters yet to know whether it would work.
Also a good point, but they didnt even think about it. Malcom just went topside, "guns a-blazing" with no conversation at all. Even the logical and sexy T'pol didnt even suggest the transporter.

Just irks me is all.
Old 10-04-02, 06:21 PM
Banned

My Birthday is coming up. You think UPN will come to their senses, cancel this lame show and give us a 5th season of Farscape?
One can only Wish.
Sweeps is coming up. You think we'll get more Underwear scenes?
Old 10-05-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A "trekker" is one who travels a long or difficult journey.

A "trekkie" is one who focuses significant energy on a (until recently) wonderful franchise known as Star Trek.

Attempts to confuse the two are often made by hoity-toities trying to avoid a stereotype with which there is nothing wrong in the first place.

das <-- proud Trekkie, wondering to where all these "trekkers" are traveling ...

Old 10-05-02, 10:41 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Zien
I can't believe this conversation is happening!

They didn't use the transporter because that would have interrupted the plot and cut short the episode.

Also, from what I understand of molecular biology, Scotty survived in stasis so long so that the makers of TNG could have Scotty on the show.
You have no imagination!
Old 10-06-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Good point, Lou Pole, but transporters are in their infancy in this show, and probably quite a bit slower than later models. The mine could have triggered as soon as its sensors registered that it was literally being taken apart molecule by molecule. Archer & crew probably wouldn't try this simply because they didn't know enough about transporters yet to know whether it would work.
If they had a holodeck, they could have run some simulations. Hmmm, maybe Tripp can build one in his spare time.
Old 10-06-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Zien
I can't believe this conversation is happening!

They didn't use the transporter because that would have interrupted the plot and cut short the episode.

Also, from what I understand of molecular biology, Scotty survived in stasis so long so that the makers of TNG could have Scotty on the show.
Unlike Save Ferris, I like your way of thinking.

There's just too many folks trying to fill in plot holes left by the writers. If the writers would just do their jobs...

[If they had used the transporters, we would be bitching that they used the easy/obvious way out. ]

BTW, in STII they were talking during the transport.

Folks who insist on using the term "Trekkers" are merely misguided, perhaps lost on their trek. I think many (most?) Trekkies forgive them their mistake, in much the same way as one should forgive a child who farts on an elevator.
Old 10-06-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The ship did sustain a lot of damage, so it's possible that the transporter was also affected by the mine that blew up and took a bunch of the plating with it.
Old 10-06-02, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe the transporters could not beam something that big or if it connected to something else.

I thought the show was good only because the Romies were in it. Atleast they did not show their faces.

I want to see more of history being shown in Enterprise.
Old 10-07-02, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
I want to see more of history being shown in Enterprise.
Me, too. But I don't expect to see it in this show.
Old 10-07-02, 08:34 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I was just trying to be a smart-a** with the word "trekker". Please don't kick me out of the club.

Old 10-07-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Please don't kick me out of the club.
If you were in the club, you'd realize that Trekkies don't have a sense of humor.

Old 10-07-02, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I figured out the transporter dilemma.

Everyone is thinking of the transporter from the Next Generation perspectie, where they can transfer matter directly from one remote location to another. Injured crewmen are beamed directly from the planet's surface to sickbay.

In TOS, you could only transport to and from the transporter room. I'm sure it would be the same for Enterprise's transporter. Since transporting the mine inside Enterprise was probably not a very smart move, they could't use it.
Old 10-07-02, 09:10 AM
Enormous Genitals

Brilliant, Jason! You should be a writer on that show. That explains why they wouldn't have any serious discussions about the transporter as an option
Old 10-07-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you're a dork.

cranky.
Old 10-07-02, 12:46 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally posted by crankyman
you're a dork.

cranky.
We've been through this before. I'm a trekkie dork.

[See? I used "trekkie". Am I still in the club? Huh? Am I? ]
Old 10-07-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[See? I used "trekkie". Am I still in the club? Huh? Am I? ]
I was gonna suggest that, since you claim to be a Trekkie, calling you a dork is just redundant as hell.

If you can come up with how many times Bones has said, "He's dead, Jim," you're still in.
Old 10-07-02, 01:03 PM
Enormous Genitals

Kirk: What is that ensign's name, Bones? He reminds me of a horse.
Bones: He's Ed, Jim.

Kirk: Bones, what's happened to Ensign Hunger?
Bones: He's fed Jim.

Kirk: What club is the patient vactioning with, Bones?
McCoy: He's Med, Jim.

Kirk: Where's Spock? Last I heard, he was getting really sick of these jokes!
Bones: He's fled, Jim.

Kirk: What's my cat doing on the couch?
McCoy: He's shed, Jim.

Kirk: Bones! Its Ensign Paper! Is he ...
McCoy: Yes, he's shred, Jim.

Kirk: Bones, what about Ensign Toboggan?
Bones: He's sled, Jim.

Kirk: Bones, what about Ensign Yeast?
Bones: He's bread, Jim.

Kirk: Who's that one at the end of the list?
McCoy: He's Zed, Jim.

Kirk: So what happened to Jimmy Page, Bones?
McCoy: He's Led, Jim.

Kirk: Bones, is he from the FBI?
McCoy: He's Fed, Jim.

Kirk: Bones, that man just ran by at warp speed!
McCoy: He sped, Jim.

Kirk: Bones, who's that new crew member who calls himself Clampett?
McCoy: He's Jed, Jim.

KIrk: Bones, what about ensign Pb?
Bones: He's Lead, Jim.

Kirk: Where's ensign Flintstone?
McCoy: He's Fred, Jim.

Kirk: Oh my god, it's ensign Marx!
McCoy: That's right, He's red Jim.

Kirk: Bones, that feels wonderful!
McCoy: It's head Jim.
Old 10-07-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 10-07-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

an incredible dork.

cranky.
Old 10-07-02, 03:14 PM
Banned

Brilliant, Jason! You should be a writer on that show. That explains why they wouldn't have any serious discussions about the transporter as an option
I bet if the writer’s had known how much space they would have saved on this forum, they would have included a cursory “obvious” mention of the transporter being perceived as too risky.
For me it was enough when Reed said, “We have no way of knowing what could trigger this thing.” in response to the idea of polarizing the hull. They don’t trust or fully understand the transporter, but I get the idea that their hull polarization is tried and true for them. So...

I’m going on the books as saying that I thoroughly enjoyed this episode and even watched it twice (in lieu of Martin or some paid programming). If you’re waiting for this show to be Alien or Bladerunner, have fun griping, but don’t hold your breath.

Might I suggest that brilliant work of art, Firefly, as a sci-fi alternative.
Old 10-07-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kudama
Might I suggest that brilliant work of art, Firefly, as a sci-fi alternative.
We only get MLB on Fox here in LA.

Personally, I'm not impressed with any show where they try to reinvent cuss words, as that felgercarb has been tried before.

But, I could recommend Firefly, where I cannot recommend Enterprise. (Even though I will watch both twice, too. Not having a life, I have plenty of time.)

Can't recommend Firefly to SoCal folks, though. We only get MLB on Fox here in LA. Did I mention that?

Or was this a bitching about bitching post? Sometimes it's hard to tell...

Old 10-08-02, 03:34 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Wizdar
Or was this a bitching about bitching post? Sometimes it's hard to tell...

You got me!

I just see Firefly as a "Brisco County Jr. (sans Bruce Campbell) in space made with the crew (and budget) from Xena and Hercules". I don't hate it. It just bores the hell out of me and I was just expecting something more.

On the other hand, I'm diggin' Star Trek and the venomous rants puzzle me. Tons of people hated TOS when it aired and now it's being used as a yardstick. Have you watched that show lately? It's great! But, I think, most of its humor wasn't intended.

Nobody is going to finance a groundbreaking series on television ever again. It's all derivative. Even The Sopranos probably had a legion of monkies in suits running it through the demographic meat grinder. No one is going to ever take a chance again when the public has proven that it prefers familiar trash (American Idol anyone?)

The days of TOS (and Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, etc.) will not ever happen again outside of independent film (or from a film maker who's run that gauntlet). I have loved science fiction since I first got to see some, but apparently I got lucky that I never became a trekkie. Obviously I wouldn't be able to enjoy Star Trek anymore (except ancient repeats).

Poor, poor Nemesis. What a burden to bear. At least you'll be laughing all the way to the pleasure colony with all that trekkie latinum in your pocket.
(I'll be there too, but will probably be having fun as long as there are no "Data would whoop Lor's @ss" arguments during the movie.)

I’m just adding to clarify what I mean (I was kinda erratic statement-wise): TOS was great! Sometimes I think it’s seen through the beautifying veneer of nostalgia, though. And as far as new ideas, TV is forever dead. Film is close to dead for that purpose, but people still distribute original films if they are made and an audience can be found. I don’t think that we will ever see any such thing as independent television (except something like Wayne’s World). TV is for selling cars (and a few other products) and getting people elected. If you’re gonna watch it, you have to expect a lack of true artistic vision.
I felt this show was being held up against the Sistine Chapel for comparison when it’s really right next to Walker: Texas Ranger and Smallville. (No offense, I’m just not big on the “troubles of teens” theme anymore.) I know it’s all opinion, but most of the posters here seem like they would prefer this to another themed show, but refuse to be satisfied that it’s not something else that has come before.

It was a 3 page thread of almost exclusive criticism so I piped up. I really don’t care that much, you just wouldn’t believe how bored I am tonight...errr, this morning.

Last edited by Kudama; 10-08-02 at 03:58 AM.