Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 10/01/02 "Beneath You"

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-02, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buffy 10/01/02 "Beneath You"

Just caught the next episode of Buffy, so here are some spoilers for those interested...

Spoiler:
It starts out pretty much the same way as the last one, with two hooded figures chasing down and killing a young woman, this time in Germany. Willow finishes up her time in England, but is worried about if her friends will accept her again. (There is very little of her and Giles in this episode, similar to last week). Spike is back, and his hair is back to normal after a couple of scenes. A giant worm is stalking a girl, which turns out to be his ex-girlfriend. Anya turned him into a giant worm after granting his ex a wish. When the Scoobies go to Anya to reverse the spell, she notices something different about Spike, but he hits her before she can say anything else. Then Buffy fights Spike, who insists he is still a Big Bad. Xander talks Anya into reversing the spell, but unfortunately, Spike was in the process of stabbing the worm, and ends up stabbing the ex-boyfriend instead. Spike is pretty much completely nuts, with a lot of talking to himself, and he tells Buffy in a roundabout way that he has his soul back, and all of the people that he has harmed in the past are now haunting him, and that is what is making him crazy (he hears all of their voices).

I think that covers pretty much most of the show. The whole worm battle was anticlimatic, and the show was more to futher the storyline and show the relationships of Buffy/Spike and Xander/Anya (IMO anyway).

The one thing that everyone agrees on is that there is something big coming their way, bigger than they have ever seen before.

Old 09-30-02, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I just want you to know I'm staring intently at that black spoiler box, testing my will power to not highlight it and read.

Tomorrow night will come soon enough....
Old 09-30-02, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 12thmonkey
I just want you to know I'm staring intently at that black spoiler box, testing my will power to not highlight it and read.

Tomorrow night will come soon enough....
Me too. *chants new mantra* I will not be a spoiler whore this season. I will not be a spoiler whore this season. I will not be a spoiler whore this season.

~wis
Old 09-30-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love spoilers. In fact I'm such a big goof I'm reading season 7 spoilers and I'm only up to season 4 right now (damn you FX!).
Old 09-30-02, 11:42 PM
Cool New Member

Well, for those that can't wait, the episode is already floating around cyberspace in the Buffy newsgroup. And yeah, spoiler free is the only way to go!! Lots, of good revelations in the episode with a chilling ending.
Old 10-01-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a pretty good episode. I want to say more, but I will wait until everyone else gets a chance to see it tonight!
Old 10-01-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Hope the episode is a good one and not some creature of the week like the previews make it look.
Old 10-01-02, 08:27 PM

I thought this episode was AMAZING
Old 10-01-02, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not a bad episode at all.

My favorite line:

Spoiler:
Dawn: Xander, little drool.

Spoiler:
Were we supposed to understand half of what Spike was blabbering towards the end of the episode? Because it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I guess he did come off as being pretty crazy.

So far Season 7 has been pretty average. I'm hoping things start to pick up in the next one or two episodes.
Old 10-01-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spoiler:
So I guess if Spike is to be believed, he didn't go to Africa to become a full fledged vampire, but rather for the purpose of becoming his soul. So was his dismay at the end of last season just because of his newfound conscience?

Be a neat twist if becoming "what he once was" included getting all the souls of people that he drank over the years.

One other thing: did the girl in the preview from next episode, sitting on the floor with Willow, look like the girl Xander was hitting on in this episode?

Good episode.
Old 10-01-02, 08:44 PM
Cool New Member

where have i seen the chick who played "Nancy" before?
Old 10-01-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Never thought I would say this, and it still might be too soon, but I am actually starting to like Dawn! She still whines occasionally, but she is a little easier to be warm towards.

Spoiler:
I wonder if that thing taunting Spike at the end of last week is something that only he can see? He was obviously tormented by many things this week. Also, what is with those people whacking young girls everywhere? Strange.

Overall, the show is turning out much better than last season and is delivering the goods. Hope the writers keep up the good work.
Old 10-01-02, 10:02 PM

Good episode, yeah i think this may be an interesting season, im still stumped from like all the people spike was talking to first episode, and spike in general, but this should be interesting...
Old 10-01-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

fantastic episode.

it really feels much like the old show again. and i love it!

cranky.
Old 10-01-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am still confused about whats up with Spike
Old 10-01-02, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by costanza187
I am still confused about whats up with Spike
I am as well with regards to the chip. Is it still there? By tonight's episode I couldn't really tell, it was almost just reactionary regarding the incident with Ronnie. But he has so many other things going on in his head it's hard to tell.
Old 10-01-02, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by superstringtheory
I am as well with regards to the chip. Is it still there? By tonight's episode I couldn't really tell, it was almost just reactionary regarding the incident with Ronnie. But he has so many other things going on in his head it's hard to tell.
I agree. This episode was great I have a feeling the episodes will continue to get better and better...hmmm wonder what they'll do for Halloween?
Old 10-01-02, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah he still has the chip in there. I think he tried to get the chip removed at the end of last season but ended up getting his soul back. He flintched when he stabbed the guy when he turned from the worm back to human. I thought his performance at the end was great. His soul is back so he's getting flooded with all sorts of regret, guilt and stuff. Completely confused, lost, and sick of himself. Kind of like how Darla was when she got her soul in Angel.
Old 10-01-02, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by khieng
Yeah he still has the chip in there. I think he tried to get the chip removed at the end of last season but ended up getting his soul back. He flintched when he stabbed the guy when he turned from the worm back to human. I thought his performance at the end was great. His soul is back so he's getting flooded with all sorts of regret, guilt and stuff. Completely confused, lost, and sick of himself. Kind of like how Darla was when she got her soul in Angel.
Speaking of Angel, I think Spike should go visit him.
Old 10-01-02, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am as well with regards to the chip. Is it still there? By tonight's episode I couldn't really tell, it was almost just reactionary regarding the incident with Ronnie.
Spike can hit demons, therefore Anya's now able to be harmed by him. Spike can also hit Buffy, since she came back from the dead "different". But he still can't hurt humans, hence his moment of pain after hurting the ex-boyfriend (the only "human" he hurt in the episode). He's still got the chip.

Great episode, BTW.
Old 10-02-02, 12:10 AM

Was I the only one who thought that when Spike stabbed the guy he seemed to kind of flinch out of anticipation for the pain from the chip, but then looked kind of confused as if there was no pain?
Old 10-02-02, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by chunk
Was I the only one who thought that when Spike stabbed the guy he seemed to kind of flinch out of anticipation for the pain from the chip, but then looked kind of confused as if there was no pain?
When I first watched it, I thought that he had the pain, and was surprised because he hadn't registered "human" yet and/or didn't expect the chip to affect him with his newfound soul.

But I just pulled that scene up again, and now I think I'm leaning towards your view of it. Spike's reaction just didn't seem severe enough for what he had done based on older episodes...
Old 10-02-02, 12:50 AM

Yes, spike still has his chip.

he went to Africa to get his soul back, he wanted to be a better man for Buffy. He said(paraphrasing here) that if he had a soul, he would not have tried to rape her. To steal a line from As Good As It Gets, Buffy makes him want to be a better man.

All the voices he hears are the those of his victims. It seemed that at times they were taking over his body, he's possessed. Or maybe he's just experiencing 200 years worth of remorse all at once.

Is it next Tuesday yet??
Old 10-02-02, 12:57 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Was that a wink at Alias at the start? Could be just me - having watched most of that marathon this weekend.

I thought this ep. started off pretty good, but the ending was right out of last season, though the pacing was much quicker. Instead of dragging the Spike story for a long time, they revealed the soul already. And I guess he's hearing the slayers he killed and thats why he knows the line from Buffy's dream?
Old 10-02-02, 01:17 AM

Was that a wink at Alias at the start?

I thought that also. And do not even watch Alias.....

Anyways. It was fun a episode. I laughed out loud
a couple of times. Little tired of the Buffy/Spike relationship
going on & on again this season. Glad when Willow
rejoins the gang again. The whole England thing was
a bust IMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.