Enterprise - 10/2/02

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise - 10/2/02

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-02, 10:36 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
CharlesC - *ahem* that's Trekker, thank-you-very-much

SiberianLlama - In Balance of Terror the Enterprise responds to a distress call from an outpost along the Romulan neutral zone (the zone was delineated after a long Romulan-human war approximately 100 years before the episode, by a treaty which was established by subspace radio. No face-to-face contact at all.) Kirk quickly surmised that a Romulan ship was systematically destroying border starbases to test the Federation, and that a successful Romulan mission could lead to a conclusion that the Federan was weak, and ultimately to another war. They found a way to shadow the Romulan vessel, got into a battle, somehow tapped into the Romulan ship's internal communication system, and for the first time saw the Romulans. Mark Lenard (best known as Sarek, Spock's daddy) played the Romulan Commander. More fighting, Romulans lose, Enterprise continues its mission.
Old 10-03-02, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That episode was, like, 4 frickin' hours long.

And virtually every line of dialogue was predictable to the point where you could recite the episode along with the characters.

Um, and forgive me if I'm not a science person or anything, but isn't it a bit difficult, if not totally impossible to rotate oneself in open space to position the blast shield doors the way they did? What force was operating on their bodies to allow them to twist and move the way they did?

And the slow motion walking wasn't working for me on the hull. Bakula always looked like he'd remember to move slow just a nanosecond after he's jerked his leg up and placed it down as in normal gravity.

It'll be interesting to see whether Malcolm has a permanent limp or at least tenderness in that bisected limb. Although I suspect it'll miraculously heal in much the same manner as will the hull of the Enterprise by next week's episode.

It is "Trek" after all.
Must.
Hit.
Re-set.
Button.
Old 10-03-02, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again Bandoman. I appreciate the summary.
Old 10-03-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by madcougar
Well sure. You've seen them do all kinds of magic tricks with the transporter. The thing is that it's supposed to be new technology that they haven't quite mastered.
This annoys me. I realize that this takes place before TOS, but damn -- the transporters are sketchy, yet they have equipment on the bridge that looks far superior to anything that was on original NCC-1701.
Originally posted by Bandoman
(4) from trailer for next week:
Spoiler:
Kind of coincidental that as soon as the ship sustains major damage they run across a highly advanced repair station, isn't it?
I said the exact same thing. When it got damaged at the beginning I told my g/f that'd be a bad thing since they were so far from Earth and [as far as I know] there aren't any spacedocks.

Good thing they bump into a mysterious quick stop in the next ep.
Old 10-03-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
This annoys me. I realize that this takes place before TOS, but damn -- the transporters are sketchy, yet they have equipment on the bridge that looks far superior to anything that was on original NCC-1701.

This doesn't bother me so much because it is easy to understand why. I mean the controls of Cochrane's ship in First Contact looked more advanced than the controls on the bridge of the Enterprise in TOS.
Old 10-03-02, 11:26 AM

See, the controls look better in Enterprise because it's before the Empire takes over and everything becomes...oh wait...
Old 10-03-02, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Zien
See, the controls look better in Enterprise because it's before the Empire takes over and everything becomes...oh wait...
Too funny...
Old 10-03-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Old 10-03-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SiberianLlama
Sorry to nitpick, but it's a Romulan Warbird and Klingon Bird of Prey.

But besides that, I thought the episode was decent, but a little long in the middle, like everyone else said.
Actually, go back and check TOS, it IS the Romulan Bird-of-Prey.

Matt
Old 10-03-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Lou Pole
They could have transported it far enough away and hit warp at the last second so that no damage was done. The ship was only 700 Kilometers aways when it did explode.

What a waste of an episode. a simple transport of the device and it was over. It was a lame plot point with the sole intention of "introducing" us to the Romulans.
I think the process of transporting it would have caused it to detonate prematurely while in transport and while partially on the hull, and I doubt the transporter beam could have contained an explosion that large.

MAtt
Old 10-03-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

After souring midway through the first season, skipped the premire, but I gave last nights ep a chance...

Seems to me to be pretty much another mainly two person story like last seasons Tripp and Malcom stuck in the shuttle, this time focusing more on revealing more about Malcom. I dont know, its just boring. Like someone else said, the dialogue was predictable, and the conclusion rushed and hackneyed.

The producers said that this series would be a return to the adventure of the first, but all we get is dry character stories with obvious outcomes. I mean, if you cannot write fresh characters, at least offer some humor and action.
Old 10-03-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No one mentioned the best two parts:

No caves and no alien beating up Archer.

Matt
Old 10-03-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
for that type of manuvering though a joystick makes sense
or at least a control yoke like an airplane or submarine has

Originally posted by Zien

A few things:

Travis FINALLY did something worthwhile and good to show that his character had a point. Course, they used that stupid joystick like in Insurrection, but what can you do?
Old 10-03-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Romulan Bird of Prey

Old 10-03-02, 02:55 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two more quick questions... so was that planet to become the Romulan Homeworld "Romulus"? Why did N'Pol specifically state that the cloaking devices of the mines were designed to be super-effective against Suliban cloaking?

A little slow, but not bad. I like the space as water analogy. I don't see the enterprise as a submarine though, more of a naval vessel.

-BT
Old 10-03-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No she stated that the Enterprises little anti-cloaking device as designed to be effective against the suliban cloaking tech. Thats why she had to reverse the polarity or whatever she did.
Old 10-03-02, 03:04 PM

MvRojo - my mistake. I guess your knowledge of Trekdom is superior to my own.
Old 10-03-02, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BT
Two more quick questions... so was that planet to become the Romulan Homeworld "Romulus"? Why did N'Pol specifically state that the cloaking devices of the mines were designed to be super-effective against Suliban cloaking?
-BT
She meant that the cloaking detection thing that they have attached to those things that drop down were designed to penetrate Suliban cloaking devices only.

Matt
Old 10-04-02, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by CharlesC
No she stated that the Enterprises little anti-cloaking device as designed to be effective against the suliban cloaking tech. Thats why she had to reverse the polarity or whatever she did.
I won't be seeing this episode until the weekend, but...

It's a universal rule of Star Trek that once someone mentions "reversing the polarity" of anything, the episode sucks. It's like Godwin.
Old 10-04-02, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually I think she spent some time tweaking the frequency of the emitters.

Matt
Old 10-04-02, 07:25 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea she doongles the thingymabobbs...!
Old 10-04-02, 08:11 AM
Enormous Genitals

Originally posted by Save Ferris
yea she doongles the thingymabobbs...!
I want to doongle her thingymabobbs...
Old 10-04-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MvRojo
I think the process of transporting it would have caused it to detonate prematurely while in transport and while partially on the hull, and I doubt the transporter beam could have contained an explosion that large.

MAtt
I believe (but could very well be mistaken on this) that when caught in the transporter beam, an object is effectivly placed in a type of stasis. That is how Scotty survived so long to show up on TNG.

I doubt it would have exploded during transport.
Old 10-04-02, 02:35 PM
Enormous Genitals

Good point, Lou Pole, but transporters are in their infancy in this show, and probably quite a bit slower than later models. The mine could have triggered as soon as its sensors registered that it was literally being taken apart molecule by molecule. Archer & crew probably wouldn't try this simply because they didn't know enough about transporters yet to know whether it would work.
Old 10-04-02, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Lou Pole
I believe (but could very well be mistaken on this) that when caught in the transporter beam, an object is effectivly placed in a type of stasis. That is how Scotty survived so long to show up on TNG.

I doubt it would have exploded during transport.
I can't believe this conversation is happening!

They didn't use the transporter because that would have interrupted the plot and cut short the episode.

Also, from what I understand of molecular biology, Scotty survived in stasis so long so that the makers of TNG could have Scotty on the show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.