TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise 10/24

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-01, 04:27 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Number_One

I've never understood this one. If the Romulans are decended from Vulcans, why do they have the forehead ridges? Have the Vulcans had interstellar travel for so long that a group of them left the planet thousands of years ago and evolved? Were the Romulans a seperate race that lived on Vulcan?

It was established in the original series that Romulans and Vulcans are related.

I think the show takes liberties with evolution. Those guys from the last episode apparently got those color changes over only 70 years. Even the old woman who was alive when the meteor hit.
Old 10-25-01, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I think the coloring on the people was just colored mud.
it looked just like some tribal people I've seen in movies in anthropology class
Old 10-28-01, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anybody interested in dubbing me a copy of this? My friends I rely on forgot to record it.
Old 10-28-01, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too bad Alvis, i just kicked it of my TiVo (minor replay value that one)

hmm ... wonder when T'Pol's Pon Farr kicks in

P
Old 10-28-01, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Slumbering Fist
Question- How on Earth do a emotionless, mild, 'no fuss no muss' passive race like the Vulcans survive with war mongering Klingons, Andorians, and Romulans around? It looks to me like the Vulcans would have been taken over by some other species. They certainly would put up little resistence.
What gives you the impression that the Vulcans would "put up little resistence" if another species tried to take them over?

There is a HUGE difference between being calm, logical, and unemotional... and being passive and weak. The Vulcans have never been portrayed as a weak species. They've been shown many times in TOS to be not only quick-witted but also superior fighters when they have to be.

If another species tried to invade Vulcan, I think they would get a quick, calm, emotionless ass-whupping!
Old 10-28-01, 06:43 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Alvis
Anybody interested in dubbing me a copy of this? My friends I rely on forgot to record it.

Doesn't UPN replay the episodes on Sundays where you are?
Old 10-28-01, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tscott

Forgive if I'm wrong but I thought it was Data that couldn't use contractions? (But his 'brother' Lore could.)
You're correct about Data and Lore. However, I believe that Spock also did not use contractions.
Old 10-29-01, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

?>A little constant radiation will do wonders to your complexion.

I think the show takes liberties with evolution. Those guys from the last episode apparently got those color changes over only 70 years. Even the old woman who was alive when the meteor hit.

?>Change of environment over several generations can change a species (Vulcan/Romulan) but as we saw with the Klingons, sometimes a little scientific intervention can do wonders also.

I've never understood this one. If the Romulans are decended from Vulcans, why do they have the forehead ridges? Have the Vulcans had interstellar travel for so long that a group of them left the planet thousands of years ago and evolved? Were the Romulans a seperate race that lived on Vulcan?

I know the Romulans looked like Vulcans on TOS, but I always attributed that to a lack of a budget, a la the Klingons of TOS versus the rest of the Star Trek movies and series. Has anyone got an explaination.
Old 10-29-01, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't think the color was due to radiation, I think they painted themselves like many tribal cultures on Earth do today
Old 10-29-01, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt
I don't think the color was due to radiation, I think they painted themselves like many tribal cultures on Earth do today
The confusion, at least for me, is the whole "are they human?" bit followed by the "revelation" by T'Pol that they are, indeed, human. (And they were described earlier as having "scales.") This was a big WTF for me.

I think the writers played fast and loose with far too many things. I am usually very forgiving when it comes to such things, but this exceeds even my level of "suspension of disbelief."
Old 10-29-01, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Wizdar
The confusion, at least for me, is the whole "are they human?" bit followed by the "revelation" by T'Pol that they are, indeed, human. (And they were described earlier as having "scales.") This was a big WTF for me.

I think the writers played fast and loose with far too many things. I am usually very forgiving when it comes to such things, but this exceeds even my level of "suspension of disbelief."
I dunno. I guess I just assumed that the colors were mud/paint, and the "scales" (peeling skin) were due to radiation.

das
Old 10-29-01, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's all shale, I tell ya! It's all shale!