TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise 10/24

Old 10-24-01, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enterprise 10/24

hmm .. ho hum opening ... but Hoshi is cute ..

so .. some mystery episode ?? I skipped the preview last week

P
Old 10-24-01, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

feels like a nice, very TOS like episode .. including people with their own "speak"

now let's see what else is in store !!!
Old 10-24-01, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
good ep, hoshi is so cute, I want to see more of her on screen

next week
Spoiler:

about time we see andorians again, other than a glimps of one in the background.

and one of them sounded like weyoun
it is, according to the yahoo tv guide, Jeffrey Combs is a guest star. and Roxann Dawson (torres) is directing

Last edited by mikehunt; 10-24-01 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-24-01, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did anyone else think the women in this episode looked and sounded like the founder from DS9?
Old 10-24-01, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The thing that struck me about this episode is that Jolene Blalock has finally nailed the Vulcan thing. Much less bitchy and arrogant, much more traditional cold logic style. I hope she keeps it up.
Old 10-24-01, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmm .. some thoughts

a) way small tricorders !! wow

b) so so , nice story .. no b-stories

c) what is it with old trek guys wanting to direct ... no other jobs ?

d) the fact that this thread is pretty empty .. people lost interest already ?
Old 10-24-01, 11:34 PM
Suspended

I thought it was a good episide

But I still say we need more action, hopefully it looks there will be a good bit next episode.
Old 10-24-01, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
The thing that struck me about this episode is that Jolene Blalock has finally nailed the Vulcan thing. Much less bitchy and arrogant, much more traditional cold logic style. I hope she keeps it up.
Is it my imagination or is she the 1st Vulcan to use contractions? shouldn't, can't.

I dont remember Spock using them. Am I wrong here?
Old 10-25-01, 12:24 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by caipirina
hmm .. some thoughts

c) what is it with old trek guys wanting to direct ... no other jobs ?

yeah, I smirked at the Levar Burton credit. I wonder if thats how they're kept happy so they'll do the movies.

I wasn't all that impressed with this one. Not a lot of focus on any of the characters.
Old 10-25-01, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 503 Likes on 297 Posts
I was also disappointed in this episode, and I don't really know why. It just didn't really do it for me. I also am starting to get a little annoyed by the captain. I don't know maybe it was just the episode.
Old 10-25-01, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

She's better, but I'd hardly say she's nailed it. She still smirks. It may just be her natural look, but she needs to kill it. It works fine as long as the camera doesn't linger on her. But if she finished talking, and the camera hangs around for 3 or 4 seconds, this smirk pops up.

And they really need to work on the Mayweather character. "Yessum, massah ... it's right nice of you to let me dine with you this fine evenin'."

As for actors directing episodes, this has long been the case with darn near every television series. Some of the best TNG episodes are directed by cast members, and if you didn't like First Contact, you're most definitely in the minority. There's nothing wrong with cast members directing. Many times they know the other actors and the characters much better than an outsider.

Hopefully, 'The Andorian Incident' will be good. I know Roxie Dawson and Jeffery Combs were both very happy with their contributions when I talked with them about a week after shooting.

das
Old 10-25-01, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 162 Posts
I liked it, all business with no annoying side story. The opening segment is cool when it's humorous, but shouldn't be that way every week.

Spoiler:
Thought we would get to see the vulcan nerve pinch, but she just shot him instead. Direct and to the point. Cool!

If they can just keep from getting ahead of themselves with the technology, they'll do fine.
Old 10-25-01, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 638 Likes on 512 Posts
Pretty boring episode. They seem to like using caves in their episodes. That's 2 out of 4 episodes with caves. Coincidentally, those were the 2 episodes that I didn't really like.

I can't wait for the Andorians next week. I think it is important for them to show the background of the formation of the Federation. I hope we will also see Rigelians and Tellarrittes (I always like those guys with the pig faces). I assume that with the Vulcans and Earthlings, these are the charter members.
Old 10-25-01, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if it's that, or if she just didn't have that big of a part this week? She didn't seem to have a lot of lines and wasn't a big part of the storyline this week like she has been in the past.

I guess time will tell...
Old 10-25-01, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Red Dog
Pretty boring episode. They seem to like using caves in their episodes. That's 2 out of 4 episodes with caves. Coincidentally, those were the 2 episodes that I didn't really like.

Yep, so far every class M planet they've run across holds a cave adventure and also happens to have 2 moons.

That's alsmost too repetitive for me. At this rate, by the end of the season they'll be mole people.
Old 10-25-01, 12:50 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I don't think we ever got to know what alien species Dr. Flox is before last night am I correct?

I'd have to replay it on the TiVo, but I think he said he was a Tenublian (sp???) or something or other. I think that was a great nugget of info that we never knew before last night. If anyone can shed any light on his species that would be greatly appreciated.

I was when during the preview for next week's episode with the Andorians, one of them says to T'Pol,

"I can't wait to have you.....

...as my prisoner."

I couldn't contain the laughter...

And yes, other than that, not a great episode... pretty vanilla if you ask me. Still a good series so far though.
Old 10-25-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Horrible. It was a lame, predictable , suspenseless story, Jonathan Archer Beyond Thunderdome.

I instantly heard my man Jeffery Combs in the preview, which got me excited for next week. No one chews scenerry like Herbert West, himself. Anyone else bothered by the SLAM!, BANG!, KA-POW!, nature of next weeks preview? It was so ridiculously overselling the action it was funny- KER-POW! THUD! SMACK!-"You are now a prisoner of the Andorian Empire!"-SLAM! KA-BOOM!. I half expected slow-mo shots of people jumping in front of fireballs and other such cliches.

Question- How on Earth do a emotionless, mild, 'no fuss no muss' passive race like the Vulcans survive with war mongering Klingons, Andorians, and Romulans around? It looks to me like the Vulcans would have been taken over by some other species. They certainly would put up little resistence.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 10-25-01 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-25-01, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vulcans are not, 'emotionless, mild, 'no fuss no muss' passive race'. They are very emotional but had to learn to control it because they were on the verge of killing each-other. The key word is 'control' not 'emotionless'. They are not born that way, it takes a lifetime of learning. We only see the side they want us to see. Romulans are Vulcans who didn't want to take the same route so they got together and left the homeworld to start their own colony that wasn't based on the suppression of emotions.

I guess they are the origional 'control freaks'. The best shows are the times they loose it because it's so unexpected but the wild animal is inside just waiting to come out.

Last edited by pagansoul; 10-25-01 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-25-01, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Lou Pole
Is it my imagination or is she the 1st Vulcan to use contractions? shouldn't, can't.

I was thinking the same thing. I think it would help sell the part if contractions weren't used.

das, it's them pouty lips. I, too, think she's closer to my idea of a Vulcan in this ep. But still not there.

From my check list:

Tech problem -- check (minor) "3 meters...10 meters" (a Vulcan would never make a mistake!)
Meal(s) at the captain's table -- check
Scene w/dog -- WTF? No doggie??
Wizdar's obligatory line for Archer: couldn't find an appropriate place for a "Ho, boy!" No non-serious moments available.

I was waiting during the beginning for voices in the background: "yah yah yah-yah yah."

In spite of my "the only thing worse than bad Trek is no Trek at all" attitude, I was unimpressed with this episode. Some have mentioned the singular storyline as a plus, and I disagree. Unless it's extremely well done, a single plot can tend to drag and can use a distraction or two. Unlike the days when TOS originally aired, we're used to multiple stories, I think. (B5 is an excellent example of how to do it right.) Although Enterprise doesn't stray to far from the main plot (so far), it would have been nice to have a small diversion here and there. JMO, of course.

Note to Hollywood: quit trying to reinvent english. It has never worked, and is always very contrived. And that ain't no shale.
Old 10-25-01, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by pagansoul
Vulcans are not, 'emotionless, mild, 'no fuss no muss' passive race'. They are very emotional but had to learn to control it because they were on the verge of killing each-other....

I guess they are the origional 'control freaks'. The best shows are the times they loose it because it's so unexpected but the wild animal is inside just waiting to come out.
Whoa! Hold on! I know all that. Sorry to make you waste your breath. I guess I should have said desire to be emotionless. But, still, no answer to my question. They do seem to be a race ripe for being conquered, because it would take a whole lot to get them to fight back, considering their way of life and development.
Old 10-25-01, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist

Question- How on Earth do a emotionless, mild, 'no fuss no muss' passive race like the Vulcans survive with war mongering Klingons, Andorians, and Romulans around? It looks to me like the Vulcans would have been taken over by some other species. They certainly would put up little resistence.
Not defending one's own home world and allowing it to be over run by aggressive aliens who would restirct their freedoms and beliefs would be illogical.
Old 10-25-01, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by pagansoul
Romulans are Vulcans who didn't want to take the same route so they got together and left the homeworld to start their own colony that wasn't based on the suppression of emotions.
I've never understood this one. If the Romulans are decended from Vulcans, why do they have the forehead ridges? Have the Vulcans had interstellar travel for so long that a group of them left the planet thousands of years ago and evolved? Were the Romulans a seperate race that lived on Vulcan?

I know the Romulans looked like Vulcans on TOS, but I always attributed that to a lack of a budget, a la the Klingons of TOS versus the rest of the Star Trek movies and series. Has anyone got an explaination?
Old 10-25-01, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great minds...

Originally posted by Lou Pole

I have thought this as well. I agree that it would definitely sell her "Vulcanism". I annoy myself by constantly expanding her contractions into phrases in my head, as I expect a Vulcan (or Data) would do.
Old 10-25-01, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist
But, still, no answer to my question.
True. I wonder if there is an answer, other than that it has never happened.

It does seem that Vulcan is a "logical" target. Perhaps a possible story for a future episode?
Old 10-25-01, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Forgive if I'm wrong but I thought it was Data that couldn't use contractions? (But his 'brother' Lore could.)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.