Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Inside the Actors Studio -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Missed it. Can you post a review, or point to an article discussing the show?

How was he on it? I really believe that he was stoned on Oprah.
Old 02-13-06, 06:29 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
Missed it. Can you post a review, or point to an article discussing the show?

How was he on it? I really believe that he was stoned on Oprah.
haha. thats what i thought too. I said to myself, "Something doesn't seem right with him." plus, his eyes were all glossy and a lot of what he was saying wasn't really making sense to me. matt
Old 02-13-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Articles:

http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/cl-et...,1047120.story
http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...happelle_x.htm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11259024/

Maybe some video...my crappy computer at work doesn't have the latest flash:

http://www.bravotv.com/Inside_the_Ac...happelle.shtml
Old 02-13-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you didn't catch it or know about it (like me) according to my DVR it is going to be on tonight at 9.
Old 02-13-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
No offense to Dave Chappelle or Martin Lawrence or even Jay Leno, but this show used to have some great actors, and now they are just getting anyone and I believe Rosie O'Donnell was on last season? What was she talking about her demanding role in Sleepless in Seattle?

This show used to get A-List actors like DeNiro, Jodie Foster, Tom Hanks, Spielberg, and Anthony Hopkins, now Lipton is getting anyone to keep the show going. It used to be real interesting, now you have a bunch of B-actors and comics talking about their craft? Jumped the shark.....
Old 02-13-06, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by coli
This show used to get A-List actors like DeNiro, Jodie Foster, Tom Hanks, Spielberg, and Anthony Hopkins, now Lipton is getting anyone to keep the show going. It used to be real interesting, now you have a bunch of B-actors and comics talking about their craft? Jumped the shark.....
That Mr. Show sketch in which Lipton washes the feet of some guy who acts in commercials was more prescient than I thought.
Old 02-13-06, 11:13 AM

this show was a trainwreck. chappelle looked drugged out of his mind.
Old 02-13-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Drugged out of his mind? I didn't get that vibe at all. He looked very coherent and I thought rather funny.
Old 02-13-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No offense to Dave Chappelle or Martin Lawrence or even Jay Leno, but this show used to have some great actors, and now they are just getting anyone and I believe Rosie O'Donnell was on last season? What was she talking about her demanding role in Sleepless in Seattle?

So what are they suppose to do? Keep interviewing the same people over and over again? It's either let lesser talented or known actors on or cancel the show.
Old 02-13-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
There was an episode with Elton John not so long ago.
Old 02-13-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
Drugged out of his mind? I didn't get that vibe at all. He looked very coherent and I thought rather funny.

Were you watching the same episode I was? Chapelle was acting a bit like Tyrone Biggums.
Old 02-13-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravid
That Mr. Show sketch in which Lipton washes the feet of some guy who acts in commercials was more prescient than I thought.
Or Lipton basking in the genius that is Charles Nelson Reilly on SNL.

The show definitely suffers when they book a second-rate comic rather than a genuine movie star.
Old 02-13-06, 05:09 PM
Banned

I don't think it has jumped the shark, but I agree that Lipton should try to get better actors. He recently interviewed J-Lo. What has she done. Most of her films are crap (Gigli anyone).

There are several actors and actresses who haven't been interviewed yet, like Clooney, Brad Pitt, Keira Knightley, Salma Hayek, Benicio del Toro.
Old 02-13-06, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Timber
I agree. It was a bit weird that they spent all that time talking about his parents, but I guess that's what this show does.

As for only having A list actors on the show, who says they have to be dramatic actors? Having the #1 selling TV on DVD ever is no small feat, and there were millions of people in this country who were interested in hearing what Dave had to say. I think on Oprah (though I haven't seen it) you'd feel like you're doing Barbara Walters in the afternoon.
Old 02-13-06, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is a link to the full Oprah interview w/Chappelle and commericals are cut out:

http://www.youtube.com/?v=WDC1SLPYvl4
Old 02-14-06, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mopower
So what are they suppose to do? Keep interviewing the same people over and over again? It's either let lesser talented or known actors on or cancel the show.

Yes, it had a nice run, but a majority of the guests are not that interesting. I forgot about J-Lo, and he also interviewed Ben Affleck, he is the biggest no talent. Sure he'll get a couple of good guests like Charlize Therion, but I think he is searching for talent that isn't there anymore.

I used to watch this show every week to see some great actor talk about their classic movies, now we have Ben Afflect talking about his craft in Pearl Harbor? Great show that had a great run, put a fork in it, all great things have to come to an end.
Old 02-14-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts
Next week on Inside the Actor's Studio, Chris Kattan.
Old 02-14-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ShallowHal
I think on Oprah (though I haven't seen it) you'd feel like you're doing Barbara Walters in the afternoon.
Coincidentally, I believe they recently replayed Lipton's interview with that famous actor, Barbara Walters.
Old 02-14-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Who will be next? Paris Hilton?

There are tons of good actors out there who I'm sure would love to do his show. Has Julianne Moore been on? Philip Seymour Hoffman?

How about some younger, talented actors? Evan Rachel Wood, Sara Polley, Cillian Murphy?
Old 02-14-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Has Julianne Moore been on? Philip Seymour Hoffman?
Yes and yes. I saw the Chappelle interview and he didn't seem drugged at all -- it seemed like he had made the decision to "be real" onstage and went for it. I don't care for Dave Chappelle very much, but I thought it was a great interview.

Lipton had Liza Minnelli for 2 hours a few weeks ago and it was VERY interesting to hear about her mother, her career and growing up in old Hollywood -- she was NOT that goofball that we've been seeing for the past few years, but was coherent, funny and insightful to the students; they loved her.

But most of you guys are right that the guests lately have been a bit, shall we say, odd to be on Inside the Actors Studio. I think Lipton has had every A-lister there is except maybe Brad Pitt (I guess he's still an A-lister). Personally, I would like to see more directors on there -- Scorsese has been there, but I don't recall any others.
Old 02-14-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
"And we now we turn to the performance that many of us consider not only a high-point in your illustrious film career, but a high point in the history of screen comedic acting. So tell us, Dave, how did you prepare for the role of Sir Smoke-a-Lot in "Half Baked?"
Old 02-14-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
"And we now we turn to the performance that many of us consider not only a high-point in your illustrious film career, but a high point in the history of screen comedic acting. So tell us, Dave, how did you prepare for the role of Sir Smoke-a-Lot in "Half Baked?"
* random applause and "whooop"s *
Old 02-14-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by SMB-IL
But most of you guys are right that the guests lately have been a bit, shall we say, odd to be on Inside the Actors Studio. I think Lipton has had every A-lister there is except maybe Brad Pitt (I guess he's still an A-lister). Personally, I would like to see more directors on there -- Scorsese has been there, but I don't recall any others.
Actually, I would just be happy to see more stage actors on there. There are a large number of actors/actresses who have had long and acclaimed careers on stage, with little to no screen work, who would make great guests. The question, however, is how likely they would be to pull in ratings.
Old 02-14-06, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidSky

How about some younger, talented actors? Evan Rachel Wood, Sara Polley, Cillian Murphy?

I agree they are all fine actors, but their body of work doesn't warrant a one hour show. There is nothing better than going through Steven Spielbergs movies, and just hearing him talk about each one, that is an interview that is interesting.

When I saw Ben Affleck, I thought to myself, "And now we come to a master sci-fi movie with the mythic quality of Star Wars, the bravado of Close Encounters, the symbolism of 2001....... The Classic Armageddon.

Affleck, "Well I prepared for this role...."

Come on, you aren't even getting B-actors anymore!
Old 02-16-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
Actually, I would just be happy to see more stage actors on there. There are a large number of actors/actresses who have had long and acclaimed careers on stage, with little to no screen work, who would make great guests. The question, however, is how likely they would be to pull in ratings.
I really think (hope) that it's not about ratings, but education. Am I being naive?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.